[ROM][JB-4.2]CM10.1 for Motorola Photon 2/12/13 [Unofficial]

Search This thread

kashis32

Mar 6, 2008
Yes CDMA sprint. I it boots just fine and the gapps work but I have no signal or service. I have checked the settings and done fresh installs but same result. Still an Awesome rom, I guess I have one of those finicky Photons:). I will keep trying

Sent from my sunfire using xda premium

dragontology

Dec 29, 2010
North Carolina
I will test on US Cellular/Electrify. I know this isn't daily driver material (WiFi and Bluetooth are both essential) but hey, it's 4.2, let's see what's what.

We will probably need a custom Gapps as not everything in the usual 4.1.2 Gapps works, namely the latest Google Now, in many ROMs. I actually have the latest Google Now working just fine in King Kang, not sure what I did right but it works. Keyboard and camera/Photo Sphere are hit and miss for a lot of people (both miss for me). Gmail, Market, YouTube, Calendar all work fine. Google Now, we should stick with the second to latest version. Google account framework is fine. Not sure about the behind-the-scenes stuff.

/edit: I am happy to report that CM10.1 boots and works great on US Cellular/Electrify. This is a damn good ROM, Bill. I'm surprised. I wasn't expecting to want 4.2 so much over 4.1, but I'm really digging this. This won't be a daily driver (I need WiFi and Bluetooth) but it's good. For reference, I was coming from the latest King Kang, did a full wipe, chose US Cellular for the radio, chose Tweak, and chose EMMC as the primary storage. WiFi is enabled but can't see my router, but you knew that already. Bluetooth won't turn on, but I think you knew that, too. Camera preview's busted, and yeah, you did say it was, but I think the camera actually works better. Faster, more responsive. I think when you work out the kinks, the 4.2.1 ROMs will be markedly better than the 4.1.2 ROMs. I personally can't wait to get a working AOKP on my phone running 4.2.1.

Took a minute or five for signal to work. I thought I'd be without mobile data, but it came up. I had my wife call me and that worked. Got on the browser. Now, the browser looks all zoomed in. I don't think the DPI is to blame, though it could be a little off. Text just looks bigger than it should, and I can scroll to the sides and I shouldn't be able to or have to -- this on a generic Google search (for Texas Roadhouse... I started to type "Testing" but got "Te" in and just took a suggestion, haha). Also, sliding on the keyboard does nothing. Looks pretty though. And doesn't FC, just doesn't take the input from sliding "testing", nothing comes up in the text entry field. Tap it, it works. 4.1 keyboard is great (once you disable haptic feedback) so maybe switch 4.2's for that.

@bray424: Thanks for the link, but the ROM actually includes Cronus, and it's ugly. Haha! I thought it was just me, but I showed it to my wife and she asked if it was supposed to be like that (hours bold, minutes thin). I think it's atrocious but I see where the appeal comes from. It's off-beat and some people like that. I like the text clock that comes with the King Kang ROM, even though it uses the American date format (I prefer international) and can only be white (I want harlequin green). It looks nice though.

@kashis32: How long did you wait? I didn't have network for a good 5 minutes on US Cellular... and then it came right up. And it's stayed there.

Last edited:

hoslayer13

Mar 21, 2011
Mulberry, Fl
My signal wasn't there after a fresh install from Liquid so I reflashed and flashed gapps. After completing the setup, the signal came through clear and strong. (I restored Liquid though because I need the camera preview for taking pics of my newborn)
Edit: Forgot to mention that on aroma config, I chose non tweaked instead tweaked CDMA settings

Sent from my sunfire using xda premium

Last edited:

dragontology

Dec 29, 2010
North Carolina
Not that it looks (much) different, but here are some screenies if anyone wants to have a look. When looking at the toggles, note WiFi is on (but not connected). Bill, if you want to use them for the site or whatever, feel free.

Also, I couldn't help it -- I made a post on Reddit (/r/Android) about this ROM. I'm sure nobody there has a Photon 4G or Electrify, but thought it was especially exceptional that 1) the phone is still being supported by volunteer developers and 2) that our phone has 4.2.1 while most new phones just have ICS or JB 4.1.1/4.1.2. Having 4.2.1 right now is an honor exclusive to Nexus 4 and how many others? Not too many. Be proud, man. This is really f***ing awesome.

secret.animal

Aug 1, 2010
Lake Villa
Redmi Note 10 Pro
QUOTE=bray424;35964328]Ok I think I found the fix for Google Now: Long press the search button to bring up Voice Search. Hit menu then go into settings, then voice, then uncheck the box for Hotword Detection. Worked for me.[/QUOTE

For the newest Google now problems, see post above on the cm10 forum. Bray424, found a fix. Works.

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

Reactions: andypiznti

Nibble13

Feb 9, 2009
Nonthaburi
i will test on gsm dtac. this rom work very well, smooth and no fc. im plan to run test one week. :)
thank you for your work, bill. you are awesome man.

Sent from my MB855 using xda app-developers app

Demonlinx

Apr 17, 2011
hey bill,
I was just wondering if this CM10.1 release will be replacing the CM 10 that is out right now or if you plan to update both?

ganeshshas

May 28, 2012
Chennai
Really awesome work....... no word's to wish you Bill....keep our photon alive...again thanks

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    650880aaf4690b802c34232a697dd022.png

Cyanogenmod 10.1

bannerfans_6001881.png

CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

How To Flash​
    1. Place ROM onto phone storage
    2. Reboot to recovery
    3. Make a Nandroid
    4. Install Rom: Wipe INSIDE ROM
    5. When you select "Reboot Not", you'll get a CWM error, IGNORE IT
    6. Install Gapps
    • WIKI/FAQ Located: To be reworked

Latest Version Fixes:

• Audio-including voice search
    • Camera Preview

Bugs??:
    KNOWN ISSUES:
    • Bluetooth not working
    • Videocamera : Use VideoCam Illusion
    • Slight Lag possible on screen transitions
    • USB tether
    The graphics related issues are due to not having proper drivers to use for this. Don't ask for an ETA on a fix. Moto won't be giving us the drivers, so there is no fix

If you need to report a NEW bug, report it once, and the next TWO people VERIFY it. I don't need everyone reporting same bug 20 times. I you can, provide me the following information:
    1. Version you're using
    2. What type of fwipe you did and what ROM you came from
    3. Have you restored any data from something like Titanium Backup
    4. What app is misbehaving and what you were doing when it started
    5. Logcats<--THIS IS PREFERRED.

If you don't know how to logcat, go HERE and learn. This really nice guy took the time to write out a good how to :)

When you have a LOGCAT and would like to post it, please go to pastebin and post it in there, then LINK that location in this thread...I don't want to see them posted directly in here.

Downloads:
    • ROM file is Located HERE
    • My latest CWM: V1 as well as Aroma-Prep
      can be downloaded HERE

Credits:​
    • Cyanogenmod Team
    • scott.hart.bi=for helping me with source building and listening to me complain
    • Jokersax11-for being my initial inspiration on Photon, being a cool guy, and helping me when I get stuck
    • EPinter-for fixing some stuff
    • Amarullz=for creating the Aroma Installer
    • Spleef-for collaborating on those first builds that got me into Android
    • All my testers and users
    • Anyone else I may have forgotten :)

Hey everyone....I'm not dead and haven't abandoned the Photon. Just been trying to fix stuff. I have a couple of things to try for BT still, but I at least can say that the microphone thing (voice search, etc), as well as MMS should be fixed at the very least on what I upload tonight...or later this afternoon. I'm building one last try for BT before I upload, then I'll continue to work on it from there. Outside chance that wifi tethering will be fixed on this build as well. :D

Hope all is well everyone
    I'm in the process of figuring out a couple bugs on the last CM10.1 build...I say last because after this, I'm going to be working on bringing 10.2 to the Photon. So, I want to get the current bugs fixed before I move on.

Bug 1) Camera is now FCing. I can do a patch by using an old camera, but I would prefer not to do that
    Bug 2) Bluetooth is still not working...doesn't initialize
    Bug 3) APNs are still showing up incorrectly. This is the biggest one in my mind, as without them working right, the stock MMS app doesn't work right, and you end up having to use a 3rd party app that you can set the APNs independently of the system to send MMS.

This process has been made slightly slower by the facr that I had to activate my daughter a new phone, which was SOOO much FUN (sense my sarcasm) dealing with Sprint for...LOL. I also got a new phone. I will still work on this, but I am learning the HTC One also...great device...looked into all the other ones, and decided that it really had the feature set I wanted. I think after having it for 24 hours now, that I finally have a phone to unseat the Photon from the "My Favorite Phone Of All Time" spot (which even the LG Optimus G couldn't do). Don't worry...I still plan to show the Photon plenty of love. I have at least 3 ROMs I plan to do. CM, Beanstalk, and ChameleonOS. POSSIBLY others...not sure just yet.
    Still working on BT bug....neither EPinter nor I seem to have it working. I can get it to start init, then it fails, so I am still in the same place I was.

Once I do get it working, I have Baked built as well...but I don't want 2 roms out there with this bug...just stupid to work like that, ya know?
    I'm very pleased to see it up and running. Good Work bill.

Btw, what gapps do we flash?
    I did the one from goo.im for cm10.1 and voice search wont work

For those curious, here is my basic overview thus far;

I've been running it for just over an hour roughly and its fairly bug free (minus the wifi and bt)
    Camera works great, minus the preview, which i still never figured out why it wouldn't work, you will just see a white screen, guesstimate where you are pointing. =P
    Minor transition stutters, nothing major, just slightly more noticeable then on the 4.1.2 rom (give it time im sure it will improve)
    I love the 4.2 feel, and all of the 4.2 features are working smoothly.

Overall, this a damn good place to start, You can tell when you flash this rom, bill put a lot of time and work into this, considering this is the first release, and it is so bug free.

Personally, i will be returning to PAC, as it is my daily driver, but im looking forward to what cm10.1 is bound to bring to our phone.

Thanks again Bill

Voice Search is a bug I still need to work on. I was really working hard on the storage issue...in the end, it was an edit that came from the Capitivate Glide that fixed it...LOL

Of course, either by some edit that CM added in or one of my edits, I broke wifi (it was working in earlier builds. I'm trying to revert some of the edits to try to get it working again).

This is probably the 100th build of CM10.1 that I have done, so yes, there has been a LOT of time put into it. BT will be a bit of a pest to fix, but I am sure I can get it done. I already know the edit for the Camera preview, but I can't get it to build when I institute the edit...which is really odd. I'm still working on it.