Thanks Meter: 12

By crzyruski, Senior Member on 28th September 2009, 12:31 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
10th October 2009, 01:10 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
congratulation to you.

Some notice:
As this devices is deeply modified based on Android open source and hardware different to G1. So you can not rebuild any system framework APK from open source unless you can get the DSTL1 source code. As i now, one thing we can do is to add some external APK file (API compatible to device, now SDK 1.5) to system. Like the Superuser.apk you do.

23rd October 2009, 10:53 AM |#12  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyruski

After reviewing Cyanogen's experimental ROM I can see where and how he sets permission for su

Trying to emulate his method for myself has been plenty of trial and error, but I have finally done it.

system-update-post-script was the key file that set permissions.
One MUST keep the carriage return at the end of the file - I have a neatfreak habit of cleaning them up.

Also, using the su and Superuser.apk in Cyanogen's latest build kept restarting my device, must be because his kernel is newer than mine.

RapidShare is hosting for 90 days Android_20090826_r1502_rooted.zip
MD5: C3C13F6DC75BF6F86E5C9E41D7FB4C59
PM me if not avail.

NOTE:
I am not responsible for your new paper-weight mode...
This has worked fine on my device, but I guarantee nothing for yours...
My device is General Mobile's DSTL1 - details in post #1

What you get:
Root access via su and Superuser.apk - procured from XDA forums: http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...9&d=1249225060

To use:
Your sdcard must contain "update" folder, this is where you will place the zip file after you have renamed it to "update.zip"

Happy ROOT

------------------------------------------
My next task will be to get Cyanogen's ROM to work on my device... seeing as how Cyanogen codes for the popular HTC models, I am left out - and I don't like being left out.

Side quests will be to play with the boot.img, flash the SPL, and maybe get a nice recovery
Particularly I would love to try out nandroid.

Hi crzyruski

I'm a new android and DSTL1 user and this information is cool

it's easy to do for a newbie as I?
23rd October 2009, 06:40 PM |#13  
OP Senior Member

More
What do you mean easy? What would you like to do?

I took General Mobile's only update: http://www.generalmobile.com/index.a.../DSTL1_support and gave it ROOT. If this is all you want to do, I have compiled the package already for you in my post above. If you want to do it manually then read the whole thread to see how I did it.

If you want to use my compiled package, it is easy.

Then again, I don't know if anyone else has tried it. It worked for me.

You are only the second individual to inquire about it, I am not sure if the other fellow had any luck - he hasn't replied to me.

Hope this helps.

Keep in touch!
23rd October 2009, 09:34 PM |#14  

More
I only have 3 days with Android, but I think that I want to get root access. The only thing I have to do is a second "update" with your package, isn't it?

I'm going to look for a backup system program first...

Can I have problems to update from General Mobile support web in a future? (i.e Android 2.0)
23rd October 2009, 11:34 PM |#15  
OP Senior Member

More
It does not need to be second. That is your choice. You can use it in any order. This is not a patch so order is no relevant.

My package is basically the original General Mobile update + 2 files.

These two files are su and Superuser.apk - nothing special (except that you will obtain root access on demand)

I currently only utilize root access to run Advanced Task Manager.
And in the future I want to overclock because I feel the DSTL1 is greatly underclocked though it should max out at ~600Mhz.

Good luck with a backup program as I have not found any free versions and NAndroid is ideal but not not yet possible as you have to flash the SPL and I am not aware how to do this for DSTL1 though I am sure it is possible.

Please let me know what you end up using to backup, if you do.

I would like to note that I am not all knowing and if something goes wrong I am sorry, but can't take responsibility.
There is no reason you should not be able to update from my package to another like: original 1.5 or new 1.6 or future 2.0 (whenever it comes out).
Hopefully when those come out I will be able to modify them similarly and make them available.

But you mentioned you will only have the device for 3 days, do you suppose 2.0 will be released within this time?

-crzyruski
24th October 2009, 10:44 PM |#16  

More
Quote:

Please let me know what you end up using to backup, if you do.

But you mentioned you will only have the device for 3 days, do you suppose 2.0 will be released within this time?

-crzyruski

I'm going to try with My Backup Pro

And about 2.0 this all I know...

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...t-walkthrough/
24th October 2009, 11:01 PM |#17  
OP Senior Member

More
Good luck to you.

I think I may begin working on some more DSTL1 hacks.
Please keep me updated with your progress
25th October 2009, 10:59 PM |#18  

More
I only have to do ALL this process with your zip, isn't it?

Quote:

How to Install the Product Update:
Create a folder at the top-level of your memory card called 'update' , and copy file '*.zip' into your phone's memory card.

Make sure your phone is off, and press the Home key together with the Power & End key to enter the recovery mode, do the operations following the UI indication:
1- Press the Home key to search the zip file from your memory card, and press the Home key again to update the software.
2- Press the Call key to do board test.
3- Press the Back key to restore the factory settings.
4- Press the Power & End key to reboot your phone after update finishes.

26th October 2009, 05:27 AM |#19  
OP Senior Member

More
Looks correct to me. Tell me how it works out.
26th October 2009, 12:33 PM |#20  

More
Quote:

Looks correct to me. Tell me how it works out.

I've done it! and all seems to be ok...

Thank you crzyruski.

I'll be waitng for your future DSTL1 hacks.
27th October 2009, 02:37 AM |#21  
OP Senior Member

More
Do not flash recovery
DSTL1 / N21 owners, DO NOT FLASH RECOVERY.
Our recovery is different from HTC models. If you wish to figure out the internals of recovery you need to learn how to unpack.

If you have not heeded my warning and flashed your recovery, do not despair.
Use my original DSTL1-recovery.zip

Or Slemmen's original N21-recovery.zip

Don't forget to unzip and then rename to recovery.img and then place in update folder.

This is the original DSTL1 / N21 recovery, no modifications as of yet.

P.S. they are exactly the same
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, dstl1, dual sim, n21, root, sciphone n21
Previous Thread Next Thread