[Q] Wireless Tether

Search This thread

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Ditto on the Wifi Tether app. Works great on Incredible and 2.20. Perhaps better though to go to the Wifi Tether host site and find a beta intended for the device, rather than a generic.

The Incredible beta r14 worked for me :)

jfholijr

Jul 15, 2010
I am running Wireless Tether v2.0.5-pre11 on my Evo. I just tested it after upgrading to TnT Lite 2.2 today and it works great. Maybe try another version of the Tether app?

I'm assuming you had to root your evo to do this correct? If so would you point me in the right direction of how you did it? Are using a specific rom or did just root and still just using sense?

Hookani

Sep 26, 2006
Hawai'i
If I'm not mistaken, the WiFi tether app is an android app correct? I have a windows mobile phone. But like I mentioned, got no problem tethering the Gpad to my phone as the Gpad shows it has a Wifi connection but just can't seem to actually connect to the internet.

Thanks,
Ho'okani

insight3fl

Oct 11, 2009
If I'm not mistaken, the WiFi tether app is an android app correct? I have a windows mobile phone. But like I mentioned, got no problem tethering the Gpad to my phone as the Gpad shows it has a Wifi connection but just can't seem to actually connect to the internet.

Thanks,
Ho'okani

I have winmo phone. Been tethering with the mod to the wpa supplicant file in MISC folder with the usual challenge to connect, but been working ok. I just used the wpa supplicant BIN file change to the system folder (adds * to your tehter apn on winmo phone) and as soon as I activated it on the phone and turned on the tab right next to my home router, it connected to the winmo phone tether. I can't wait to try it in a crowed apn environment like the food court at the mall. There it was almost impossible to get it to connect to my phone with so many apns showing.

jtbnet

Oct 28, 2009
Cochituate
JTBnet, I know you are the wifi tether expert and perhaps you can help me. Tether and using home wifi work pretty much on demand, but when I get to a crowded wii environment like the food court where scan sees many ap adresses, I am almost unable to get a lock on my tether. Any suggestions? I have not turned off config as I know you have done, but I did not think that would matter as I NEVER log on to any other ap execept home or tether.

Thanks

EDIT: I am one of the few tetherers that is using a windows mobile phone 6.5 so my issues may be different than others.

Sorry, meant to respond to Roebeet and you on this but got distracted and lost track of thread... the /system/bin/wpa_supplicant from here just makes adhoc work like Infrastructure on the Gtab... piece of cake...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=754961

Ronin916

Nov 25, 2010
Chicago
Okay, so here's my issue. I'm the unfortunate owner of a Blackberry Storm 2 (yeah, I know, I know) and I'd love to tether this with the GTab just to have access to the net on the go. I'm running TnTLite 2.2.0, and while I can pair the two, the GTab won't connect to the Storm at all. In fact, I've been able to pair the GTab with a couple of Mac's in the office, as well as a BT GPS but none will "connect".

I've removed the devices and re-paired them to the GTab, and they still will not connect. My understanding of Android is regretfully limited (working on it). I think Roebeet added the wpa_supplicant into the TnTLite 2.2.0 build, so I'm kind of at a loss on what to look for.

I'm going to blame RIM right now, but I'm open for any suggestions you might have.

jtbnet

Oct 28, 2009
Cochituate
Okay, so here's my issue. I'm the unfortunate owner of a Blackberry Storm 2 (yeah, I know, I know) and I'd love to tether this with the GTab just to have access to the net on the go. I'm running TnTLite 2.2.0, and while I can pair the two, the GTab won't connect to the Storm at all. In fact, I've been able to pair the GTab with a couple of Mac's in the office, as well as a BT GPS but none will "connect".

I've removed the devices and re-paired them to the GTab, and they still will not connect. My understanding of Android is regretfully limited (working on it). I think Roebeet added the wpa_supplicant into the TnTLite 2.2.0 build, so I'm kind of at a loss on what to look for.

I'm going to blame RIM right now, but I'm open for any suggestions you might have.

This thread probbly should have been renamed to from Wireless to ''Wifi' Tether' as I beleive that's what most folks have been successful establishing... I haven't attempted BT tether in a long while as at least initially using the 'Tether' application available for my Droid1 the actual thoughput speeds via BT were extrememly limited vs. those via Wifi so I've always concentrated on Wifi Tether even though they could be power consumption benefits to using BT tether vs. Wifi...

That said, it probably time to revisit trying the BT tether and seeing if there have been performance improvements so I'll give it a shot with the Gtab and my Droid1 when I can find a little time...

minico

Dec 18, 2007
Hi all,

I have a Touch HD and with using WMWiFiRouter and am able to connect my phone with the Gpad thru WiFi but can't actually connect to the internet thru the browser or whatever. Any particular reason why i wouldn't be able to do that?

Thanks,
Ho'okani
The problem is WMWIFIRouter dhcp does not apply a DNS server to the Gtablet.
You have to set up the wifi network on Gtablet manually so you can apply a DNS server.

jenjen

Dec 22, 2008
The problem is WMWIFIRouter dhcp does not apply a DNS server to the Gtablet.
You have to set up the wifi network on Gtablet manually so you can apply a DNS server.
Hi,

i am a noob here. how exactly do you apply the DNS server to the Gtab? i manually set the static IP, but still no internet connection with WMWifiRouter.

i have a winmo device which can run android, but once in a while, i still need to use WM6.5.

thank you in advance

minico

Dec 18, 2007
Hi,

i am a noob here. how exactly do you apply the DNS server to the Gtab? i manually set the static IP, but still no internet connection with WMWifiRouter.

i have a winmo device which can run android, but once in a while, i still need to use WM6.5.

thank you in advance
Connect to your WMWifiRouter with your laptop, if it is Windows XP go to network connections right click on your wireless connection left click on status. In the status window click on the support tab then click on details. The default gateway, subnet mask, and DNS Servers are all of the settings you will use for your static ip settings on your Gtab. My subnet that gets assigned on my WMWifiRouter is 192.168.3.0 class C subnet 255.255.255.0 My default gateway is 192.168.3.1 So I assign my Gtab an IP address of 192.168.3.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.3.1 and DNS servers are the two I retrieved earlier. Once static setup is done everything works perfect. I am running TNT Lite 2.2

Reactions: jenjen

jenjen

Dec 22, 2008
finally got the wireless tether to work with wmwifirouter. aside from the dns setting, i didn't realize that i need to save the setting.

thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Stock GTab, rooted with market....

Flashed with clockworkmod from one of the threads here a file called wpa_adhoc-signed.zip and it worked.
    Tethered to my Droid 1 to test...

I see my infrastructure AP and my adhoc "AP" but with a (*) in front of the name.

added the file I used..

Sent from my UPC300-2.2 using Tapatalk
    Hi,

thank you in advance
    Connect to your WMWifiRouter with your laptop, if it is Windows XP go to network connections right click on your wireless connection left click on status. In the status window click on the support tab then click on details. The default gateway, subnet mask, and DNS Servers are all of the settings you will use for your static ip settings on your Gtab. My subnet that gets assigned on my WMWifiRouter is 192.168.3.0 class C subnet 255.255.255.0 My default gateway is 192.168.3.1 So I assign my Gtab an IP address of 192.168.3.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.3.1 and DNS servers are the two I retrieved earlier. Once static setup is done everything works perfect. I am running TNT Lite 2.2