Four simple steps to use alternative keyboards

Search This thread

ags29

Jun 15, 2010
New York, NY
Nice, that worked. I hope there's a way we can get the resizable Swype keyboard though. It is unnecessarily hugeee.

Mar 18, 2011
I'm having some issues with this method post-6.2. I'm, of course, rooted, but the /data/app folder contains nothing at all - Nook tools don't work either.

drcalypso

Jun 26, 2009
i'm trying to get swiftkey tablet x working again aswell. post 6.2 update that is. before it worked like a charm, but now it just keeps fc'ing

[EDIT]
scratch that, it's working fine again.
i'll try to sum up what i did.

1) moved the apk to sd and installed as i did before.
2) initial setup began but fc'd as soon as i selected it as default input method
2a) selected kindle keyboard as default again
3) used rootexplorer to move com.touchtype.swiftkey.tablet.full-2.apk from /data/app to /system/app
4) selected swiftkey as default input to get another FC
4a) back to kindle keyboard
5) rebooted the kindle
6) selected swiftkey as default input again by longpressing the searchbar
7) everything works just fine, no fcs, nothing

sidenote: i do NOT have the nook color tools installed

hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Reactions: davinci27

bigragu

Jun 22, 2009
Baltimore
Don't know. I was having FC, constantly, every few seconds. Moved the lib files and restarted, perfectly functional.

I tried using TouchPal keyboard and now my KF is kinda screwed. I just get all FCs and system dumps. I'm guessing I need to somehow remove the app but I can't get to it from my KF because it just keeps crashing. Can I get to those files through adb or some other method so I can uninstall the TouchPal app and just go back to the Kindle keyboard? Thanks for any suggestions.

Reactions: DragonSeeker

movieaddict

Jul 24, 2010
i got swiftkey installed and tried swype and couldnt get it installed??? i would prefer swype if anyone has any advice??

SwingBlade

Aug 14, 2008
i got swiftkey installed and tried swype and couldnt get it installed??? i would prefer swype if anyone has any advice??

See

It works. I need to do additional step for Swype. After copying Swype apk file to /system/app and rebooted (that time Swype shows several FC), I clicked that apk file to re-install it. Then you should delete apk file from /system/app, otherwise it goes to FC again once it's rebooted.

I have Swype running but it doesn't want to autospace between words or autocaps after a period. Ideas?

EDIT: I have it spacing after words but not after periods, and doesn't recognize to caps like it does on my phone, even at the start of the input.

Last edited:

Houndog101

Feb 16, 2011
Fallston, Md.
See

I have Swype running but it doesn't want to autospace between words or autocaps after a period. Ideas?

EDIT: I have it spacing after words but not after periods, and doesn't recognize to caps like it does on my phone, even at the start of the input.

I just installed TSwipe-Pro from the Gapps and its works as it should, swype does'nt, Just FYI...

thrasherht

Feb 5, 2011
Saginaw
I just installed TSwipe-Pro from the Gapps and its works as it should, swype does'nt, Just FYI...

I was able to get swype working minus the spacing after a period. You have to follow what that guy said earlier, copy the apk from data/app to system/app and then reinstall from there, and then delete from the system/app and restart.

kudosmog

Aug 2, 2010
I've got thumb keyboard working on my kindle fire...so it can be done. Promise.

Now, how I got it working.....I have no idea.
It was FCing constantly, so I used titanium backup to clear the cache and uninstall but after a reboot it was still there.

Now it runs....and there is no app in the system/app.
In system/data there is com.beansoft.keyboardplus-2.apk

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Reactions: DragonSeeker

thrasherht

Feb 5, 2011
Saginaw
Just so you guys know, if you setup swiftkey x tablet on your fire, turn the gesture sensitivity all the way up and the downward swipe works sometimes. I got it to work on mine when I turned it all the way up.
Just remember it is still a little sketchy, but it actually does work. You just have to get your finger in just the right place for it to register.

Negrito

May 22, 2008
Las Vegas
www.fodografes.com
I'm using the phone version of Swiftkey X with no issues. Down swipe works fine.

On Phone:
1. uninstalled swiftkey from my phone
2. re download thru amazon market
3. browse to /sdcard/android/data/com.amazon.venzia/cache
4. send swiftkey app to dropbox (vnz-263668108 <---apk name)

On KF:
5. download swiftkey from dropbox
6. install swiftkey
7. move swiftkey from /data/app to /system/app
8. reboot
9. use input field to select Swiftkey
10. finish setup and enjoy

Reactions: thrasherht

thrasherht

Feb 5, 2011
Saginaw
I'm using the phone version of Swiftkey X with no issues. Down swipe works fine.

On Phone:
1. uninstalled swiftkey from my phone
2. re download thru amazon market
3. browse to /sdcard/android/data/com.amazon.venzia/cache
4. send swiftkey app to dropbox (vnz-263668108 <---apk name)

On KF:
5. download swiftkey from dropbox
6. install swiftkey
7. move swiftkey from /data/app to /system/app
8. reboot
9. use input field to select Swiftkey
10. finish setup and enjoy

I had some problems getting the regular swiftkey working. It kept force closing and I had to reboot a few times. But even after it worked the swipe down was still dodgy, it seems to only work towards the left side of the keyboard.
The main reason I want a different keyboard is to have a split keyboard for landscape mode, and the regular swiftkey x doesn't have that.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

SirVilhelm

Dec 17, 2008
I was able to get swype working minus the spacing after a period. You have to follow what that guy said earlier, copy the apk from data/app to system/app and then reinstall from there, and then delete from the system/app and restart.

Delete the system app or data app? I am confused my we would copy to system then delete?

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Anyone want to make a tutorial for getting swype to work?

I installed the swype installer, downloaded swype. Then when it asked to select swype I used root explorer to move swype from data to system then rebooted. As soon as I select swype as the alternate keyboard it force closes like crazy. I had to restore a backup.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This approach works with non-smart keyboards.

1. Install your preferred keyboards from Market
    2. Use ES file explore (with Root feature and RW mount enabled in the advanced setting) or use Root Explorer to copy the keyboard .apk file from /data/app to /system/app
    3. Reboot and select the keyboard by pressing and holding at any text input box.
    4. (optional) Sideload and install "Nookcolor Tools" from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=868366. You will have an option to set keyboards.

So far this method does not work with
    - SlideIt
    - Thumb keyboard (thanks fr4nk1yn)
    If any of these keyboards create a lib in /data/data/name_of_app/lib, you may need to copy it to /system/lib

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    anyone know if this works for Swype?

It works. I need to do additional step for Swype. After copying Swype apk file to /system/app and rebooted (that time Swype shows several FC), I clicked that apk file to re-install it. Then you should delete apk file from /system/app, otherwise it goes to FC again once it's rebooted.
    not sure why nooktools is needed. I saw no option to change the keyboard in it.
    copying to /system/app armed to allow the option change but add thumb keyboard to the list of non-working ones.
    i'm trying to get swiftkey tablet x working again aswell. post 6.2 update that is. before it worked like a charm, but now it just keeps fc'ing

[EDIT]
    scratch that, it's working fine again.
    i'll try to sum up what i did.

1) moved the apk to sd and installed as i did before.
    2) initial setup began but fc'd as soon as i selected it as default input method
    2a) selected kindle keyboard as default again
    3) used rootexplorer to move com.touchtype.swiftkey.tablet.full-2.apk from /data/app to /system/app
    4) selected swiftkey as default input to get another FC
    4a) back to kindle keyboard
    5) rebooted the kindle
    6) selected swiftkey as default input again by longpressing the searchbar
    7) everything works just fine, no fcs, nothing

sidenote: i do NOT have the nook color tools installed

hope this helps :)