T-Mobile's First LTE Market Launching in 3 weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

mingkee

Removed from T-Mobile Website; http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/articles/ReinvigoratedChallengerStrategy

"2013-01-13 21:07:15
Today, T-Mobile USA, Inc. CEO and President Philipp Humm outlined the company’s reinvigorated challenger strategy focused on making amazing 4G services affordable. T-Mobile will invest in strategic initiatives to get the business back to growth. The most significant investment is a $4 billion network modernization and 4G evolution effort, which will improve existing voice and data coverage and pave the way for long term evolution (LTE) service in 2013.1
"

1 LTE launch assumes successful refarming of spectrum and regulatory approval of AT&T break-up spectrum transfer. Need remains for additional AWS spectrum for broader/deeper LTE build-out.

Whoever wrote should have been killed.
Who is T-Mobile USA CEO right now????????????????????????????????????????????

AG0087

Apr 6, 2010
Brownsville Texas
I'm in Brownsville Texas. I was with At&T for two years and still haven't seen LTE till this date. So not going to jump for joy for T-Mobile' LTE. Probably won't see it till in 3 years.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

shinkinrui

Oct 8, 2009
Removed from T-Mobile Website; http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/articles/ReinvigoratedChallengerStrategy

"2013-01-13 21:07:15
Today, T-Mobile USA, Inc. CEO and President Philipp Humm outlined the company’s reinvigorated challenger strategy focused on making amazing 4G services affordable. T-Mobile will invest in strategic initiatives to get the business back to growth. The most significant investment is a $4 billion network modernization and 4G evolution effort, which will improve existing voice and data coverage and pave the way for long term evolution (LTE) service in 2013.1
"

1 LTE launch assumes successful refarming of spectrum and regulatory approval of AT&T break-up spectrum transfer. Need remains for additional AWS spectrum for broader/deeper LTE build-out.

The date on that story is an error, it's a year old. Not only has the 1900 spectrum already been mostly refarmed and the breakup spectrum from at&t already received, we're also getting additional aws spectrum in key markets from the metro merger in a few months. Plus (and this is my favorite part) Phillip Humm is no longer the CEO. Our current CEO is John Legere.

cobraboy85

Aug 25, 2011
Tmo also just announced an LTE variant of the GS3. It is getting serious. So much for guys saying "no LTE until 2014"...

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

An LTE variant of the gs3?

The gs3 for T-Mobile is already LTE ready. Just needs a firmware update. Most of the s3s actually have a quad core s4 pro processor in them, using same board as standard s4 pro equipped devices. Only difference is the s3s with the quad core chips have the second two cores shut off - the registries which would have been used for the 3rd and 4th cores are just allocated for LTE radios. All it will be is a firmware update to utilize the radios.

Ever take a peek at your init.qcom.post_boot.sh file in your T-Mobile s3 when it was bone stock? Well I did. Because I had one. And you'll notice there are call outs for "cpu2" and "cpu3" in the code. Because the file is the same for all devices equipped with quad core - as most s3s are, even T-Mobile variants. Difference is the firmware to utilize or not utilize the extra cores. Qualcomm started making dual core chips/boards early on but quickly just started throwing quad core chips in all the devices to save money on production (cheaper to build one chip set than two) and just "turned off" the extra cores with a firmware patch and as I said allocated the registries to LTE radios.

We learned something today didn't we folks? Bet most people don't know their galaxy s IIIs have quad core chipsss... lol

Interestingly enough. If somebody could hack the firmware, the galaxy s3 could be a quad core Qualcomm device 0_o

Last edited:

milan03

Feb 22, 2011
New York City
An LTE variant of the gs3?

The gs3 for T-Mobile is already LTE ready. Just needs a firmware update. Most of the s3s actually have a quad core s4 pro processor in them, using same board as standard s4 pro equipped devices. Only difference is the s3s with the quad core chips have the second two cores shut off - the registries which would have been used for the 3rd and 4th cores are just allocated for LTE radios. All it will be is a firmware update to utilize the radios.

Ever take a peek at your init.qcom.post_boot.sh file in your T-Mobile s3 when it was bone stock? Well I did. Because I had one. And you'll notice there are call outs for "cpu2" and "cpu3" in the code. Because the file is the same for all devices equipped with quad core - as most s3s are, even T-Mobile variants. Difference is the firmware to utilize or not utilize the extra cores. Qualcomm started making dual core chips/boards early on but quickly just started throwing quad core chips in all the devices to save money on production (cheaper to build one chip set than two) and just "turned off" the extra cores with a firmware patch and as I said allocated the registries to LTE radios.

We learned something today didn't we folks? Bet most people don't know their galaxy s IIIs have quad core chipsss... lol

Interestingly enough. If somebody could hack the firmware, the galaxy s3 could be a quad core Qualcomm device 0_o
I don't have a problem with a quad core SGS3, but I do have a problem for the fact that T-Mo version doesn't have the needed LTE power amps and filters required for attaching to LTE Band 4. You can't software update that, you need a different logic board, which should be the same as AT&T's model since that one actually had support for AWS on WCDMA and was firmware disabled on the closed source baseband level.

cobraboy85

Aug 25, 2011
So why are the registries allocated for LTE and why is the device equipped with LTE radios if it won't support LTE? Lol

What you are saying makes sense, from a technical standpoint. But not logically.

Also, ATT S3? Yeah, uses LTE. Same board. Same chip. So you are wrong. Lol

jgalan14

Jul 8, 2010
Las Vegas
So why are the registries allocated for LTE and why is the device equipped with LTE radios if it won't support LTE? Lol

What you are saying makes sense, from a technical standpoint. But not logically.

Actually they have a different chip, I think the tmobile version doesn't support LTE but the note 2 does

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

KillaHurtz

Aug 13, 2010
Albuquerque
Hope Philly will get it before the next Mayan calendar ends ...

The next cycle or bak'tun will end in 26,000 years. So no sweat on that one ;)

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

I don't have a problem with a quad core SGS3, but I do have a problem for the fact that T-Mo version doesn't have the needed LTE power amps and filters required for attaching to LTE Band 4. You can't software update that, you need a different logic board, which should be the same as AT&T's model since that one actually had support for AWS on WCDMA and was firmware disabled on the closed source baseband level.

You couldn't be more wrong. T-Mobile even just confirmed the GS3 will be LTE capable with a software update. LTE has been in tmo phones since the GS2.

Reactions: COCODRILO45

milan03

Feb 22, 2011
New York City

Yeah well actually I'm right. ATT has a similar board, but it has proper Power Amps and Filters for LTE band 4, 17.
T-Mobile version doesn't. so there you have it.

cobraboy85

Aug 25, 2011

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

You couldn't be more wrong. T-Mobile even just confirmed the GS3 will be LTE capable with a software update. LTE has been in tmo phones since the GS2.

Ummm thank you. Finally.

And whoever said the ATT and T-Mobile s3 have "different chips" couldn't have been more wrong either.

---------- Post added at 01:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

Yeah well actually I'm right. ATT has a similar board, but it has proper Power Amps and Filters for LTE band 4, 17.
T-Mobile version doesn't. so there you have it.

Cool let's see some documentation to support that, then. Because when I bought my T-Mobile s3 back in July, when I worked for T-Mobile, they told us the s3 was going to support their LTE roll out.

Also, go ahead and explain why the ATT s3 was designed to support LTE but the T-Mobile version was not when both companies had clearly outlined plans to implement such a network. And both devices are exactly identical on a hw level. The only thing varying is the firmware.

Go ahead I'll wait for your reply with proof because you won't have any whatsoever. You are sorely misinformed.

Technical documents. About the T-Mobile s3. From Samsung, from Qualcomm, from T-Mobile. Wherever you can dig them up.

We'll all wait anxiously. In the meantime T-Mobile has confirmed otherwise to me (and other employees of mine who purchased the device) and others on this board who have owned the device.

Again, correction, you are WRONG. deal with it.

dkb218

Apr 16, 2006
Bronx by way of Brooklyn

Seems you couldn't be more wrong...

They did confirm it however, not on the current batch of GS3's.

" ...the new version of the Galaxy S III will require a “small” software update to enable once the company’s LTE network is live."

If the current GS3 could do this why bring out a LTE version?

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/01/t-mobile-announces-revamped-galaxy-s-iii-with-lte/

"Though the Galaxy S III that's presently being offered by T-Mobile does not support LTE, the slightly newer Galaxy Note II does; Ray tells us that it'll require a "small" software update to enable it once it's available. No other LTE-capable phones have been announced by T-Mobile yet, but it's likely that we'll see some announcements as the first markets go live across the first and second quarter of the year."

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/38...aunch-refreshed-galaxy-s-iii-with-lte-support

Last edited:

jgalan14

Jul 8, 2010
Las Vegas

Good Info I didn't know that, I thought tmobile was launching a gs3 with LTE on it, idk read it somewhere

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

D

Deleted member 2747343

why does the galaxy s3 have "LTE, GSM, ___" in the network options than

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts