[Q] Root Ematic EGQ307BL

Search This thread

TheNextStig

Dec 13, 2013
I just bought an ematic EGQ307BL tablet. It comes loaded with 4.2

I would post a link to the tablet but the site won't let me.

Do any of you know a way to root this tablet or load 4.3 or 4.4?

I am knew to the whole rooting thing, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy

jjdavis_34

Dec 16, 2013
I also need root for this device

First I would just like to say hello to all of the incredible developers we have on this site. I've followed along for a very long time and I've finally decided to create an account. I know that you guys are the best at what you do. So, with that said, please help us root this device. I know you can do it. Leapinlar, can you or Verygreen help us with this, or are you strictly Nook developers?

Thanks

Umigobbles

Apr 23, 2013
I just picked up this tablet for my mom for Christmas and decided to play around with it. For the price, it's not a bad tablet at all. Screen resolution is crappy but for a first tablet for my mom, it's just perfect.

It's surprisingly smooth with no real noticeable lag but I did a Quadrant benchmark test and my Tegra 2 [dual core] Viewsonic G-tablet actually benchmarked higher. Albeit the G-tablet is rooted and ROM'ed, overclocked to 1200mhz along with a bunch of other memory tweaks, it's getting solid 3100's while the All Winner's [quad core] Ematic is only scoring around 2700's. Still happy with the Ematic though.

Before I forget, I managed to root the Ematic in under 5 minutes and that includes tracking down a spare SD card. I haven't been very active in the forum so it won't let me post the link but just go to freaktab.com>click forum>scroll down to Ematic Tablets>Root directions are under "Quick and easy Root for Ematic EGQ307 series"

The worst thing about the tablet is the battery life while you're using it. I can literally watch the battery percentage going down a percent increment every 10 to 15 minutes. Here's a few things I did to save the battery while the tablet is on but the screen is OFF (standby mode):
- Turn off location access - Settings >Personal>Location Access>Access to my location> OFF
- Turn off sync - Settings>Accounts>Google>Select your account and turn sync settings to off (deselect all options - you can always manually sync by clicking the 3 dots in the top right of screen and selecting "sync now")
- Advanced Wi-Fi settings - Settings>Wireless & Networks>Wi-Fi>(click the 3 vertical dots in the top right of screen)>Advanced - Uncheck box "Network notification"; Also click "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" - select "Only when plugged in"; Finally for "Wi-Fi optimization" check the box to "minimize battery usage when Wi-Fi is on
- Data usage setting - Settings>Wireless & Networks>Data usage>(click the 3 vertical dots in the top right of screen)>Check the box "Restrict background data" - Note: You are still able to get on the internet through Wi-Fi, background data is not needed.This is the biggest contributor to saving your battery/screen off.
- Turn off sync settings on other email. You can always manually sync by refreshing your email

* Doing the above settings has enabled my battery to stay at the same level for over 8 hours (while in standby mode/screen off - whatever you choose to call it.) I left for work in the morning with my battery on 93%. Came home in the early evening and the battery was still on 93%

Miscellaneous Tips

- I also suggest using the app Juice Defender but I found it wasn't absolutely necessary
- The obvious settings: turn brightness down; sleep after 30 seconds; turn Daydream OFF; No live wallpapers
- Do 2 to 3 full charge and discharge cycles
- I highly recommend going with a different launcher. The stock launcher was running 2 processes and taking almost a 100Mb of RAM between the two of them. Apex or Nova Launcher use far less.... around 20 to 30Mb depending on your settings
- Enable Developer options - Go to Settings>About tablet>Build number - keep clicking the build number and you will see a count down to open Developer options. Once inside Developer options (if your into speed and not animations) - scroll down to "Window animation scale", "Transition animation scale" and "Animator duration scale" - Turn all three of them OFF (default is 1x)
*Note: if you're into higher benchmark scores, while your in Developer options, scroll down to "Force GPU rendering" and check the box. This will increase your 2d scores.

To increase your 3D scores do the following very carefully.
Download ES File Explorer in the Play Store. Open the app and click the top left of app (looks like a phone in front of a sphere) Select Tools>Root Explorer (turn ON) - Press and hold the word Root Explorer for 5 seconds - another screen opens. Select "Mount R/W" and select RW for "Path" and "system" - click OK
Press the top left option you clicked earlier (phone in front of sphere): Now scroll to the top and select Local>Device>system>lib>egl - Find the file named libGLES_android.so
Long press on the file to select it. On the bottom select "Rename" - simply change it from libGLES_android.so to libGLES_android.bak
Long press on the file one more time to select it. On the bottom select "More" and then "Move to"
Select the 1st option (there should only be two, the first one looks like a phone and the second one looks like an SD card), then select "system" and finally click OK

*Note: Doing the above steps increased the frame rates in Quadrant 3D benchmark scores thusly increasing the overall 3D score. I've done this simple tweak on this Ematic, my Viewsonic G-tablet, my rooted and ROM'ed LG Optimus S and it increased the 3d scores on all of them.

I've done more tweaking than what I've listed here but I hope this little bit helps

talon1812

Feb 4, 2013
TCL 20 Pro 5G
Thanks

Couldn't figure out how to root when developer options wasn't showing up. Thanks for the tip on getting it to show with the build number and tapping repeatedly. Now I'll see if I can root this damn thing.

I just picked up this tablet for my mom for Christmas and decided to play around with it. For the price, it's not a bad tablet at all. Screen resolution is crappy but for a first tablet for my mom, it's just perfect.

It's surprisingly smooth with no real noticeable lag but I did a Quadrant benchmark test and my Tegra 2 [dual core] Viewsonic G-tablet actually benchmarked higher. Albeit the G-tablet is rooted and ROM'ed, overclocked to 1200mhz along with a bunch of other memory tweaks, it's getting solid 3100's while the All Winner's [quad core] Ematic is only scoring around 2700's. Still happy with the Ematic though.

Before I forget, I managed to root the Ematic in under 5 minutes and that includes tracking down a spare SD card. I haven't been very active in the forum so it won't let me post the link but just go to freaktab.com>click forum>scroll down to Ematic Tablets>Root directions are under "Quick and easy Root for Ematic EGQ307 series"

The worst thing about the tablet is the battery life while you're using it. I can literally watch the battery percentage going down a percent increment every 10 to 15 minutes. Here's a few things I did to save the battery while the tablet is on but the screen is OFF (standby mode):
- Turn off location access - Settings >Personal>Location Access>Access to my location> OFF
- Turn off sync - Settings>Accounts>Google>Select your account and turn sync settings to off (deselect all options - you can always manually sync by clicking the 3 dots in the top right of screen and selecting "sync now")
- Advanced Wi-Fi settings - Settings>Wireless & Networks>Wi-Fi>(click the 3 vertical dots in the top right of screen)>Advanced - Uncheck box "Network notification"; Also click "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" - select "Only when plugged in"; Finally for "Wi-Fi optimization" check the box to "minimize battery usage when Wi-Fi is on
- Data usage setting - Settings>Wireless & Networks>Data usage>(click the 3 vertical dots in the top right of screen)>Check the box "Restrict background data" - Note: You are still able to get on the internet through Wi-Fi, background data is not needed.This is the biggest contributor to saving your battery/screen off.
- Turn off sync settings on other email. You can always manually sync by refreshing your email

* Doing the above settings has enabled my battery to stay at the same level for over 8 hours (while in standby mode/screen off - whatever you choose to call it.) I left for work in the morning with my battery on 93%. Came home in the early evening and the battery was still on 93%

Miscellaneous Tips

- I also suggest using the app Juice Defender but I found it wasn't absolutely necessary
- The obvious settings: turn brightness down; sleep after 30 seconds; turn Daydream OFF; No live wallpapers
- I highly recommend going with a different launcher. The stock launcher was running 2 processes and taking almost a 100Mb of RAM between the two of them. Apex or Nova Launcher use far less.... around 20 to 30Mb depending on your settings
- Enable Developer options - Go to Settings>About tablet>Build number - keep clicking the build number and you will see a count down to open Developer options. Once inside Developer options (if your into speed and not animations) - scroll down to "Window animation scale", "Transition animation scale" and "Animator duration scale" - Turn all three of them OFF (default is 1x)
*Note: if you're into higher benchmark scores, while your in Developer options, scroll down to "Force GPU rendering" and check the box. This will increase your 2d scores.

Download ES File Explorer in the Play Store. Open the app and click the top left of app (looks like a phone in front of a sphere) Select Tools>Root Explorer (turn ON) - Press and hold the word Root Explorer for 5 seconds - another screen opens. Select "Mount R/W" and select RW for "Path" and "system" - click OK
Press the top left option you clicked earlier (phone in front of sphere): Now scroll to the top and select Local>Device>system>lib>egl - Find the file named libGLES_android.so
Long press on the file to select it. On the bottom select "Rename" - simply change it from libGLES_android.so to libGLES_android.bak
Long press on the file one more time to select it. On the bottom select "More" and then "Move to"
Select the 1st option (there should only be two, the first one looks like a phone and the second one looks like an SD card), then select "system" and finally click OK

*Note: Doing the above steps increased the frame rates in Quadrant 3D benchmark scores thusly increasing the overall 3D score. I've done this simple tweak on this Ematic, my Viewsonic G-tablet, my rooted and ROM'ed LG Optimus S and it increased the 3d scores on all of them.

I've done more tweaking than what I've listed here but I hope this little bit helps

sssteeve

Apr 21, 2014
Thanks!

I could not get recovery to recognize zip file on ext sd so I copied it to internal drive and it worked great.

It is a bit tricky navigating the recovery window with the Ematic EGQ307 since there are no hardware buttons. Without pressing down too hard you scroll down the page until your selected option is highlighted and then push the Power button.

Feb 10, 2011
jrodriguez5.protecturl.info
Help

Don't mean to revive an old thread but I've been searching and can't seem to find a copy of the stock rom for this tablet. Can anyone upload a copy somewhere? I managed to get mine in a bootloop, did a factory reset, flashed a zip to undo the mods I did and nothing. Regretfully I didn't make a backup. Hopefully someone out there still has this tablet and can help me out.

sssteeve

Apr 21, 2014
I liked this tablet so much that I got 3 more on sale from Walmart- another one for me and 2 for friends. After rooting them I've been experimenting with SetCPU and Juice Defender to see which one is more stable while extending the battery life. I don't think that I've gone a day without having at least one of them freeze up on me. No problem- just power it off and back on, and I can get right back to where I was before it froze. (BTW the freezing up is so common that the manual even mentions it as though it is a normal condition.)

Last week I had one freeze up for good and I have not been able to get it to boot up; it stays on the screen that says "ematic" with the 4 dots going from the left to the right until the battery goes dead. I tried the reset button, I tried connecting the USB cord to a computer. It had been running fairly well for a few days and then it didn't want to reboot. After hitting the reset button I was able to get back to the original sign in screen but it froze up again after that for good.

This one is going back for a refund but I was wondering what could be done if another one locks up like this later. Is there a way to boot the this up with an SD card or through the USB cable so that a stock ROM could be reinstalled if and when one becomes available.

One more question: are there any other tablets which are like brothers, cousins or twins to the EGQ307? Here are the numbers from the About Tablet screen:

Firmware version:
3.2_20130704

Kernel version:
hejiaquan@Exdroid17 #9
Tue Aug 27 13:40:07 CST 2013

Build number:
A31S_Q70_0701C.20120827

sssteeve

P.S. These are really slick tablets for the price (~$80) and any further development for them would be great. Ematic has listed another 7" quad-core tablet (the EQS307) with a retail price of $250 and I have a hunch that it is basically the same as the EGQ307 but with more stable firmware and software.

EDIT: It looks like the problem with my tablet freezing up had to with the default settings in SetCPU... 1200mhz maximum/120mhz minimum. I raised the minimum to 456mhz and it hardly ever locks up anymore. (I had tried Juice Defender Ultimate instead of SetCPU and it had the same 120mhz default minimum value.)

I just got a Hisense Sero 7 Pro which is a much better low-cost quad core tablet and has a lot of independent developers working on it (Hisense released the source code for it in February but with the 7 Pro being a discontinued item I think that the developers are backing off a bit.) Newegg is selling factory refurbished tablets for $89.99. However I really do like the smaller size and lighter weight of the EGQ307 which Walmart has been selling for $59.99. And it does have a 16:9 display which is better for watching newer videos.

Last edited:

sssteeve

Apr 21, 2014
How to remove cover from EGQ307- easy as π

It is easy to pry off the back of the EGQ307 using a tiny non-metallic pry "bar" and starting right at the SD card slot. I believe that the one long wire going from the pcb to the bottom of tbe screen is the wifi antenna; if you are having signal problems you might try raising the wire a little bit (it seemed to help for me.) The battery looks very generic- which is good because it should be easy to find replacements that fit- possibly one with a higher capacity (just a quess.)

joeylikesubuntu

Jul 3, 2013
different recovery?

can i install a touch recovery on the ematic egq307 i cant navigate current stock recovery no vol buttons

SOHKis

Apr 29, 2008
VA
just picked up 2 of these from wal-mart for $39 each, not bad at all for the price!

gonna see if i can get one setup & sent to my grandmother :good:

Neptune5k

Nov 30, 2010
Cincinnati
I just picked up mine from Walmart as well. Overall, pretty zippy for the price. The viewing angle is terrible and the memory/partition layout is questionable, but overall i think its going to be a fun $40 gadget.

Root was easy following the directions above. I recommend that you install TiBackup and uninstall the extra apps that you wont use, these run out of main space really quickly the way they have it configured.

If anyone has luck with a custom recovery, please share!

chris5h

Dec 12, 2007
Hey guys, how did you get them for $39? Was it an instore only price? Online it is $49.99 and I am definitely noodeling picking up a couple of these for xmas presents.

tselling

Dec 12, 2006
I am thinking Link2SD will be a must have for these tablets once rooted. That should allow for lots of app/storage space.

WolfRaven71

Feb 7, 2017
Root Achieved for this Tablet model

First Download drivers for your tablet . A search online will bring up a generic driver . Though using Windows 10 you should not need to .
Windows has drivers that should work and install upon connecting the device .

Second . Go download Wondershare Mobile
Download the wondershare program for windows . It has a 5 day free trial and believe me you will understand it is well worth having .

Using the program after install go into the right hand column and click on Root . Then let it go through the process . It will describe the device as
something other than the Ematic tablet . Thats fine . Let it work . It will end up rebooting your device about 7-9 times and optimizing apps etc ....

Eventually after about an hour or so it will finish optimizing and it will come up with a Success message . You can disconnect your tablet and you can
either keep the program or uninstall it . I myself uninstalled it because I use Android SDK Studio for all my needs .

Success ... device is now rooted . You can now download apps that require root . As Ematic only gives a 90 day warranty it should not be any warranty issues
as most likely it is out of warranty anyway .

Now the cons -

If you did the rooting process to be able to move apps to the SD card then you are out of luck . I am guessing that Ematic has disabled moving apps
to SD card at the hardware level as even after rooting the device I was unable to get the apps to move .

Bottom line is that this process is the only easy process I have found to let you gain Root on the Ematic EGQ223BL tablet . Unknown whether it works on
other Ematic tablets or not . The tablet that was rooted was the above model number running stock Android 5.1.1 Lollipop .

Cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Miscellaneous Tips