[Q] What's wrong with my Nexus 5/Android

Search This thread

dont4get_im

May 20, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I need help on my nexus 5/Android 4.4.2. I want to be able to troubleshoot and figure out why my nexus 5 is acting strange -at least the OS part of it.

A BIT OF HISTORY: I just recently purchased this phone in the US through a friend.

THE SITUATION/ISSUES:
- When I go to the app drawer, sometimes the wall paper in the background turns black and comes back just after I tap a an app
- When I use the chrome browser and surf the web some something, it reloads the page I am viewing without me triggering reload. It's kinda annoying that it reloads pages i am viewing. Quiet a few times chrome crashed.
- When I use youtube and tap the voice command to search for videos, it accepts the command but it doesn't load the videos I wanted to search.
- Sometimes, when I tap the home button it kinda reloads the home screen.

I thought that it might be just the OS and maybe a glitch or something. I tried factory reset (vanilla android) a few times but it is the same. I have tried cyanogenmod 11 on it and it is still the same issues.

I am a newbie. This is my first nexus android. I have used HTC desire HD for a month and it doesn't have this problem.

If I am unclear with describing my situation/problem please let me know.

MasterAwesome

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2013
OnePlus 6
Hi Everyone,

I need help on my nexus 5/Android 4.4.2. I want to be able to troubleshoot and figure out why my nexus 5 is acting strange -at least the OS part of it.

A BIT OF HISTORY: I just recently purchased this phone in the US through a friend.

THE SITUATION/ISSUES:
- When I go to the app drawer, sometimes the wall paper in the background turns black and comes back just after I tap a an app
- When I use the chrome browser and surf the web some something, it reloads the page I am viewing without me triggering reload. It's kinda annoying that it reloads pages i am viewing. Quiet a few times chrome crashed.
- When I use youtube and tap the voice command to search for videos, it accepts the command but it doesn't load the videos I wanted to search.
- Sometimes, when I tap the home button it kinda reloads the home screen.

I thought that it might be just the OS and maybe a glitch or something. I tried factory reset (vanilla android) a few times but it is the same. I have tried cyanogenmod 11 on it and it is still the same issues.

I am a newbie. This is my first nexus android. I have used HTC desire HD for a month and it doesn't have this problem.

If I am unclear with describing my situation/problem please let me know.

Since it persists in different roms looks like a hardware issue.. More of an ram issue is what I can make of.. Take a logcat and send it my way and I'll look at it.
The last 2 errors are pretty common. The last one is because your launcher is not locked on ram.

Regards
MasterAwesome

Sent from my Moto G

dont4get_im

May 20, 2014
Since it persists in different roms looks like a hardware issue.. More of an ram issue is what I can make of.. Take a logcat and send it my way and I'll look at it.
The last 2 errors are pretty common. The last one is because your launcher is not locked on ram.

Regards
MasterAwesome

Sent from my Moto G

Thanks for the reply MasterAwesome.

I have just downloaded aLogCat to log issues on my phone. Once I've gathered enough activity/issues, I'll send it your way.

Are issues likes these common in Nexus 5's? I've reverted back to my Stock Android.

YouTube issue: I didn't update the YouTube app and the voice search feature on it worked fine - at least for now that seems to be the fix for it.
Chrome Browser reloading issue: I haven't found a fix but Chrome Beta seem to work fine. Still reloads but not quite as often. I think this reloading issue isn't just contained in Chrome Browser.
Skype Video Call issue: I forgot to mention that I used Skype for a video call once and every 1-3 minutes the video drops (but not the call) I would have to press back to go out of the call without hanging up and get back to it. That seem to reload the video again.

MasterAwesome

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2013
OnePlus 6
Thanks for the reply MasterAwesome.

I have just downloaded aLogCat to log issues on my phone. Once I've gathered enough activity/issues, I'll send it your way.

Are issues likes these common in Nexus 5's? I've reverted back to my Stock Android.

YouTube issue: I didn't update the YouTube app and the voice search feature on it worked fine - at least for now that seems to be the fix for it.
Chrome Browser reloading issue: I haven't found a fix but Chrome Beta seem to work fine. Still reloads but not quite as often. I think this reloading issue isn't just contained in Chrome Browser.
Skype Video Call issue: I forgot to mention that I used Skype for a video call once and every 1-3 minutes the video drops (but not the call) I would have to press back to go out of the call without hanging up and get back to it. That seem to reload the video again.

Yeah, those are very common

Sent from my Moto G

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
They are common? I have an N5 and have a few friends with them and hang out in the Nexus 5 forums too. It's definitely not that common. I've flashed dozens of roms on my phone and have not experienced any of these problems besides Chrome reloading a few times, though even that only happened a few times. I also use Nova Launcher and have never seen it reload (besides waiting for a new theme to load) or flake out once.

MasterAwesome

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2013
OnePlus 6
They are common? I have an N5 and have a few friends with them and hang out in the Nexus 5 forums too. It's definitely not that common. I've flashed dozens of roms on my phone and have not experienced any of these problems besides Chrome reloading a few times, though even that only happened a few times. I also use Nova Launcher and have never seen it reload (besides waiting for a new theme to load) or flake out once.

They are just bandwidth and such problems and nothing with the phone..

Sent from my Moto G