[APP][ICS+] ContactsNotification +Sidebar v2.00 Final

Search This thread

dapaua

Dec 27, 2006
Barcelona
Please 2.3.6 gaaxy ace s5830c version.
The version on play store its not compatible with galaxy ace 2.3.6
Does the version posted here work for you? If it does, I will enable it in the Play Store.

Great app with a lot of potential.
Some suggestions (also mentioned by some other users)
1.Give option to show or not the icon in taskbar
2.Allow to choose default actions when icon is pressed for direct calling
3.Give option to show selected contacts OR latest contacts from call log (it will give the program a call notification function also) !
4.Fix the total look especially in the settings and a quick way to access them (maybe put small settings icon-half size,before the 5 contact pictures.
5.Translate it :) If you want Greek i can do it for you ;)

Thanks and keep up the good work :good:

I will implement all of this, eventually. I am now adding the fifth and sixth contacts and the option for direct calling/sms .
The option to get contacts from call log is very interesting, I'll try to do that. About the look, I know it is really ugly. I'll try my best but don't expect wonders, I'm not very good at UI.
Translations will come later, because I am still making changes to the program and nobody would like to be translating new text everyday, and users wouldn't want to wait for the translations. Thanks for offering to translate to greek.
I believe in "release early, release often", that's why I offer preliminary versions of my software, and lots of updates. This forum suggestions really help me a lot. Thanks!

dapaua

Dec 27, 2006
Barcelona
It's doing the same on my JB 4.2.2 ROM. Direct dial option would probably resolve it for me though :good:
I'll check it. Thank you.
The concept of this app is fantastic:good:. nice work

I have a Sony ericsson mini pro with 320-480 screen.. Last contact icon is too small as u have mentioned in the OP:(.. Please make the icons evenly sized...

I'll try to. It depends a lot on the contact picture, they are not always the same size. I myself have some that are portrait shaped, other are landscape... I cannot make them square because they would look weird. Fixing it is on my list of thing to do, but I need to have the main functionality working first.

Reactions: Sudanminipro

ATTACK

Jan 8, 2012
Awesome app,
The only problem i'm experiencing is setting the size of the image's. I set the icon size to large but they're still incredibly small.
It seem's like medium and large are coming up the same size

png2.png

dapaua

Dec 27, 2006
Barcelona
Awesome app,
The only problem i'm experiencing is setting the size of the image's. I set the icon size to large but they're still incredibly small.
It seem's like medium and large are coming up the same size

Large size is set to a high value, but I can set it higher. It should be a 20% larger than medium size. In my phone medium and large look the same too, but my screen is small. I expected to be a diference in high dpi phones like yours, but I couldn't test it.
Thanks for reporting, these ypes of things cannot be tested without a comunity like XDA, I am really grateful for all the tests and reports I am getting. I'll check it, and I'll try to fix it. It seems to be related to the notification aspect ratio. The ones working best are the ones that are slightly taller that wide.
One problem is that the icons can never be larger than the notification heigth.
I also know that now that the "X" to remove contacts is so small, it is very difficult to hit. I'll fix it also.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATTACK

Boomer6345

Jul 10, 2012
Grand Haven
Large size is set to a high value, but I can set it higher. It should be a 20% larger than medium size. In my phone medium and large look the same too, but my screen is small. I expected to be a diference in high dpi phones like yours, but I couldn't test it.
Thanks for reporting, these ypes of things cannot be tested without a comunity like XDA, I am really grateful for all the tests and reports I am getting. I'll check it, and I'll try to fix it. It seems to be related to the notification aspect ratio. The ones working best are the ones that are slightly taller that wide.
One problem is that the icons can never be larger than the notification heigth.
I also know that now that the "X" to remove contacts is so small, it is very difficult to hit. I'll fix it also.

Working great for me except for the icon size issue as well (running on a GS3).

Here's another feature request:

Add an option for spacers between images / contacts. The icons are so small on my phone that it is a little hard to hit the right contact photo. I tried just adding 3 contacts into entries 1, 3, and 5 but it still crammed them together. Could use a few millimeters between each photo.

dapaua

Dec 27, 2006
Barcelona
Working great for me except for the icon size issue as well (running on a GS3).

Here's another feature request:

Add an option for spacers between images / contacts. The icons are so small on my phone that it is a little hard to hit the right contact photo. I tried just adding 3 contacts into entries 1, 3, and 5 but it still crammed them together. Could use a few millimeters between each photo.

There's space, but it is just one pixel :) I'll add an option to choose the spacing. Thanks.

Boomer6345

Jul 10, 2012
Grand Haven
There's space, but it is just one pixel :) I'll add an option to choose the spacing. Thanks.

I forgot to thank you for adding the other two feature requests I asked for....so thanks! Love the ability to choose the default action....now it just starts dialing right away....truly a speed dial! And thanks for the option to remove the status bar icon.

What does the option "Don't show toast" do? ;)

dapaua

Dec 27, 2006
Barcelona
I forgot to thank you for adding the other two feature requests I asked for....so thanks! Love the ability to choose the default action....now it just starts dialing right away....truly a speed dial! And thanks for the option to remove the status bar icon.

What does the option "Don't show toast" do? ;)

It disables the message that appears when you tap a contact set to "Menu". In my phone,it takes a couple of seconds for the menu to appear, that is why I added the message( It is called a toast in the android documentation). But I see it is not needed for fast phones :)

TSOGLANI

Sep 25, 2007
Athens
Thanx a lot for all your work and for fulfilling my suggestions :good:
Anyhelp you need from UI to translations as i said just pm me really love your work :cool:

Superb.. Thanks

Now all icons on my small screen (Sk17i) are of the same size. Thank you:good::)

EDIT: not all, only 5. sixth one is still small.

EDIT: but there are still problems. See the screen shot. The contact window shown has to be raised a little for the whole contact to be visible

Screenshot_2013-02-23-08-01-37.png

And how to remove a contact once added? it can be replaced. But how to make the slot empty again?

Last edited:

dapaua

Dec 27, 2006
Barcelona
Now all icons on my small screen (Sk17i) are of the same size. Thank you:good::)

EDIT: not all, only 5. sixth one is still small.

EDIT: but there are still problems. See the screen shot. The contact window shown has to be raised a little for the whole contact to be visible

View attachment 1753034

And how to remove a contact once added? it can be replaced. But how to make the slot empty again?

Hi,to remove you need to press the nearly invisible "X" to the right of the contact picture. I need to make it more visible, and easy to press, as it is is nearly impossible. It is in my list.
I'm sorry for not answering before, I was out of the city without Internet.

Reactions: Sudanminipro

Sharkeyd

Mar 17, 2012
Washington DC
Notification shade 4.2.2

Works perfectly on my SGS3 with CleanRom (JB 4.1,2). However on my wife's Nexus 4 stock (JB 4.2.2) the notification shade has to manually be closed which defeats the purpose. Looking forward to updates.

pathfinderhd

Dec 4, 2011
Vasai, Thane
Image not showing

Its not showing contact images in the notification drawer !! All my contacts are having Images but no contact image is showing only contact Icon is visible, Please guide.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I present here a new app.
    It allows you to choose up to eight contacts, which will be shown in a notification or a configurable sidebar. Tapping the contacts will allow you to call, message, whatsapp, email or many other things. This allows a faster workflow when you need to call someone when you are doing other things.

Just install the apk, open the Contacts Notification app, choose your contacts and press update.
    The notification will automatically appear after a reboot, so you only need to do this once or to change your favorite contacts.

I promise I am not storing or doing anything with your contacts.

Market link: Contacts notification +sidebar
    Custom themes:Go to your sdcard, folder ContactsNotification/overlays.
    There create a folder, for example, mytheme.
    Into that theme add a border.png, sms.png and phone.png file. They must be 500x500px png files. pohne.png and sms.png must have border if you want it to show. A sample file, called "holo by dapaua.zip" is included.

To show the sidebar (if enabled) , just slide your finger over the trigger area.
    Code:
    TASKER support.

am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ACTION_NAME
    Where ACTION_NAME is:
    POST_NOTIFICATION. Posts or refreshes the notification
    HIDE_NOTIFICATION. Hides the notification
    ENABLE_SET_A. Enables contact set A. Use POST_NOTIFICATION afterwards
    ENABLE_SET_B. Enables contact set B. Use POST_NOTIFICATION afterwards

Use of this command line with Tasker:

Create a new task, call it CN_enable_A.
    Add an action of the type Script - Run Shell.
    in command , type: 
    am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ENABLE_SET_A ; am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action POST_NOTIFICATION

if you are using the sidebar, type only:
    am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ENABLE_SET_A

Create a new task, call it CN_enable_B.
    Add an action of the type Script - Run Shell.
    in command , type: 
    am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ENABLE_SET_B ; am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action POST_NOTIFICATION

if you are using the sidebar, type only:
    am startservice -a com.dapaua.contactsnotification.ACTIONS -e action ENABLE_SET_B

Use these two tasks to change the sets on the notification. You can use it with a timer, or position, or whatever. I am not going to explain how tasker works. I implemented this because I was asked to and I found it interesting.

attachment.php
    attachment.php
    attachment.php

HISTORY
    Version1.1 has some cosmetic changes in the notification.
    -----
    Version1.2a:
    -Up to 6 contacts can now be added. Small screens may show really small icons for last contacts.
    -Default action can be chosen from Menu, Dial or SMS. SMS not working yet, sorry. Icon overlays are planned so you know what the icons do.
    -Slightly nicer settings screen.
    -Option to disable notification icon, toast (the small notice telling you to wait), and start at boot.
    -Can now be disabled without uninstalling.
    This version won't be uploaded to the market. I'll upload it when I enable SMS and overlay icons.
    -----
    Version1.2b
    -Fixed JB compatibility. Now notification drawer should fold by itself.
    -Added contact icon sizes, so all 6 icons fit in small phones ( I hope)
    -SMS option works.
    -Black theme
    -Still ugly
    -Phone/SMS overlays are not done yet, so you need to remember what each icon does. I'll do it next week.
    This version will be uploaded to the Play Store.
    ------
    Version 1.3
    -Nicer looking icons.
    -Added Phone/SMS overlays to icons.
    -Now you can automatically populate your contacts form the recent calls log.
    -Still ugly app(Notification is much nicer, I think.)
    -Contacts without picture show name
    ------
    Version 1.3b
    Fixes a bug in auto-populated contacts that appeared when a caller not in your contact list was in the list.
    -------
    Version 1.4
    -Overlays are now optional.Please,send me new overlays to include in the program, check here:http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38780390&postcount=50
    -------
    Version 1.4b
    -New ICS overlays by Virus_672 (Thanks!!)
    -------
    Version 1.5
    -Now auto-populated contacts should work. The notification will automatically refresh 20 seconds after the call end.
    -No more vibration!
    -Some optimizations, should be a bit faster...
    -------
    Version 1.5b
    -Bugs Fixed.
    -------
    Version 1.5c
    -More Bugs Fixed. Sorry about the frequent updates. No more for today, I promise.
    -------
    Version 1.6
    -Fixed (I hope) Samsung "menu" option
    -Fixed (I hope) Samsung Galaxy 3 lag
    -Fixed (I hope) the "can't change icon size" bug.
    -New "Thin White" theme added, by MichaelB (Thanks a lot!)
    -------
    Version 1.7
    -Now you can choose your custom theme. After first run, the folder ContactsNotification/overlays will be created. There you can create any number of folders with the following files:border.png, phone.png, and sms.png. They must be 500x500px png files. After that, choose "custom" on "Overlay theme". A new option will appear listing all themes on the ContactsNotification/overlays folder. A sample theme can be downloaded, it is the file "holo by dapaua.zip". You shouldn't add weird characters to folder name, please use only letters,numbers,- and _ .
    --------
    Version 1.8
    -Notification is shown as "Ongoing" for phones supporting the feature.
    -Bugfixes.
    -New "Thin White,Big Icons" theme added, by MichaelB (Thanks a lot!)
    ---------
    Version 1.10
    -Notification shown as ongoing is now optional, it interfered with "hide icon".
    -Possibility to donate to the developer from the app (Thanks :) )
    -Spacing between the contacts can now be configured. Larger values may show a black notification for medium resolution phones. I am still investigating it.
    ----------
    Version 1.11
    -Accesibility service added. When enabled, allows Contacts notification to be the top-most notification. This one will be added to the play store tomorrow, after I get some feedback.
    -----------
    Version 1.12SidebarALPHA.
    -Testing version for sidebar. Please read first post for instructions.
    -----------
    Version1.12SidebarBETA
    -Now sidebar works with any number of contacts or in auto mode.
    -New option:Sidebar or Notification.
    -New option: Force notification clear. If disabled, notification bar doesn't go black when a new notification is post, but it may fail to refresh on samsung phones. I recomend enabling it on samsung stock.
    ------------
    Version1.12bSidebar
    -Bug fixes in auto contact mode.
    ------------
    Version1.12cSidebar
    -Fixed bug that showed the wrong action icons in sidebar, thanks Michael B.N.!
    -----------
    Version 1.13
    -Sidebar trigger position and size configurable.
    -New option:"Do not dial directly, show dialer instead" to avoid unintended dialing.
    -Trigger can be set to "visible" now,
    -Settings slightly reordered.
    ----------
    Version 1.14
    -Sidebar size configurable.
    -New icon.
    ----------
    Version 1.15
    -Up to 8 contacts now.
    -Fixed:settings button doesn't resize with sidebar
    -2 new sizes for sidebar: X-large and XX-Large.
    -Bug fixes.
    ----------
    Version 1.16
    -Vertical position of the sidebar trigger can now be fined tuned (I want to thank Ahmad Asraf Hashim for the suggestion)
    -Transparency of Sidebar can be configured.
    --------
    Version 1.17
    -Three different backgrounds for the sidebar to choose from.
    -Two different contact sets, to enable, for example, a work set and a family set (Thanks, Oleg Suharevich, for the suggestion)
    -Preeliminary tasker/scripting support to enable set choosing. (Thanks, Oleg Suharevich, for the suggestion)
    -------
    Version 2.00
    -Cleared the settings UI a bit.
    -Added sidebar transition.
    -Bug fixes.
    i would love to use this app. i'm on jb and the app is working only partially
    pls help!:)

What is exactly the problem? I need a more info to help :) :)
    is there any way to make the photos look bigger? I have icon size large

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium

Your phone has really high resolution!! I'll add an update with an Extra-large size :) I'll code it now, it'll be on the play store in a few hours :) Thanks for reporting it!

EDIT: Here it is the new version, if you can't wait!

That was fast! Give me 10 minutes.

EDIT: It is uploaded. I'll wait a bit more to upload it to the Play Store, maybe I get some more overlays :)

I think that i will add the option to set a folder in the SD card to add your own overlays, but this won't be today.

Thank you, Virus_672, they are really nice. The icons are small, but not so much that they can't be recognized.
    New version 1.6.

Changelog:
    ---------------------
    -Fixed (I hope) Samsung "menu" option
    -Fixed (I hope) Samsung Galaxy 3 lag
    -Fixed (I hope) the "can't change icon size" bug.
    -New "Thin White" theme added, by MichaelB (Thanks a lot!)
    New (alpha) version

I'm done for today, so I uploaded what I could add. I hope tomorrow I will be able to finish it.