[*WORKING*] **Ubuntu on Vibrant** UPDATE:11/05/10

Search This thread

frozenfoxx

Jan 19, 2009
I'd like to see/expect to see, within the next year to two tops, a single device you carry in your pocket, like my fascinate, that runs a multipurpose os that I can dock with storage/display/keyboard/mouse at home or work and use as a computer, keep in my pocket on the go and use it as a small form factor device as my fascinate is now. Basically alleviating the need for multiple devices altogether. It'd be so neat to not have to move things back and forth between one device or the other, or have different application/os setups to maintain/deal with.

Apple isn't far off from this, if they implement a full blown osx implementation on their devices, say add hdmi or dvi out and a couple usb ports on ipad, they'll basically be there.

We're soooo close to this level of functionality now. Phones have 1ghz cpus and are pushing 1gb of RAM now, which is more than adequate to boot and actually use Windows XP, albeit not well suited for gaming/graphics, but still...the POTENTIAL is there.

It's called an N900: http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/

agsded

Aug 23, 2010
Yeah, that's not as powerful as my phone, and definitely not what I'm talking about..... pointless having a physical keyboard on the device... it makes it too cluncky and is practically useless for true touch typing

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

frozenfoxx

Jan 19, 2009
It's not 1GB of RAM, it's 256MB with 768MB of Virtual Memory, and only a 600mhz processor. Not quite...

Yeah, complete with the ability to do TV-out with reasonable resolution, BlueTooth for keyboard/mice interface devices, a complete Linux OS, and can even play Quake. There's almost no day-to-day tasks you cannot accomplish with it (and with some work you can probably cram some even larger applications onto it).

Yeah, actually, that *is* what you're thinking about, it just doesn't have epeen numbers.

Stevethegreat

Nov 28, 2010
I'd like to see/expect to see, within the next year to two tops, a single device you carry in your pocket, like my fascinate, that runs a multipurpose os that I can dock with storage/display/keyboard/mouse at home or work and use as a computer, keep in my pocket on the go and use it as a small form factor device as my fascinate is now. Basically alleviating the need for multiple devices altogether. It'd be so neat to not have to move things back and forth between one device or the other, or have different application/os setups to maintain/deal with.

Apple isn't far off from this, if they implement a full blown osx implementation on their devices, say add hdmi or dvi out and a couple usb ports on ipad, they'll basically be there.

We're soooo close to this level of functionality now. Phones have 1ghz cpus and are pushing 1gb of RAM now, which is more than adequate to boot and actually use Windows XP, albeit not well suited for gaming/graphics, but still...the POTENTIAL is there.

Actually I believe we're already there. My (o/c'd) Vibrant runs Ubuntu without a hitch. I upscale the 480p signal through a box so I can make the resolution tolerable and voila I have a mini-tower carrying with me. Only downsides is that the (above) distro does not run natively on the ARM processor so things like flash cannot be installed, also the low resolution is a bit of a turn off.

But even if it is to be said that we're not there yet, we're a hair away. The new Tegra 2 machines have dual core processors, mini HDMI and I'm sure making them run a Native Linux distro won't be that hard. Those machines would *actually* be faster than certain Netbooks. In fact if the phones were carrying mini projectors next to their camera (like certain camcoders do), one would *also* carry the SCREEN with it/them.

So in a few months it would be technically possible to project an 720p full fledged OS whenever you need-it, wherever you go. Along with 3G connectivity Internet would be always on, everything will be at one's fingertips in ONE device. Micro-devices have gone far indeed...

edit: I have a 32GB sd installed on my Vibrant (48gigs total) making me have little to no disk constraints, that helps also for desktop use...

Last edited:

wajanus

Jan 4, 2011
Houston
about.me
How related is this post over in the Nexus S section that just got noticed by PC World:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=907760

Looks like he actually boots a GUI as opposed to VNCing into one. Would this method work on our Vibrants?

That's amazing. I'd love for that to work on the vibrant. I just saw the 2D Unity interface for netbooks surface. I think that'd be a great light-weight interface for the Vibrant (plus, Vibrant is as powerful as netbooks).

Also, I'd like to report back that my Ubuntu no longer boots on my phone. It worked fine last week (or whenever I made the post about it working) but now, it's completely dead and doesn't work (can't find chroot etc., regular bs).

stew1411

Feb 24, 2011
Ardmore
So I am trying to install this on my Galaxy Tab. There is a forum for it, and it just uses the same exact instructions as the Vibrant. I figured I would post here since this is the original post with the dev. I don't think the install is working. Here is the complete cmd screen from windows.
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Andrew>cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
# su
su
# cd /sdcard/ubuntu
cd /sdcard/ubuntu
# sh ./ubuntu.sh
sh ./ubuntu.sh
modprobe: chdir(2.6.35.7): No such file or directory
←[H←[Jrm failed for -f, No such file or directory
rm failed for -f, No such file or directory
mkdir failed for /data/local/mnt, File exists
←[H←[Jrm failed for -/system/bin/mountonly, No such file or directory
Unable to chmod bootlinux: Operation not permitted
←[H←[J
Ubuntu Chroot Bootloader v0.1
Ubuntu Bootloader is now installed!
This process does NOT damage Android OS!

To enter the Debian Linux console just type 'bootlinux'
# bootlinux
bootlinux
mknod: /dev/loop5: File exists
mount: No such device
mount: No such file or directory
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
Setting /etc/resolv.conf to Google Open DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
bootlinux: cannot create /data/local/ubuntu/etc/resolv.conf: directory nonexiste
nt
bootlinux: cannot create /data/local/ubuntu/etc/resolv.conf: directory nonexiste
nt
Setting localhost on /etc/hosts
bootlinux: cannot create /data/local/ubuntu/etc/hosts: directory nonexistent
Created by KellyLewis3985 and BThomas22x!
Brought to you by Team Viper!

chroot: can't execute '/bin/bash': No such file or directory

Shutting down Ubuntu
failed.
failed.
failed.
failed.
#

It looks as if it is messing up right when I type sh ./ubuntu.sh. So when I type bootlinux it fails since the install went wrong. Where am I going wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

younix258

Feb 18, 2011
This is extremelycool, im gonna install it when i get a chance

Sent from a cell tower to the XDA server to you.

younix258

Feb 18, 2011
Okay, pretty cool, but keyboard is alll ****ed up which makes it a bit unusable

Sent from a cell tower to the XDA server to you.

wildklymr

Dec 14, 2006

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: So here is the link to a better version of Ubuntu running on your Vibrant. I do not have much time yet to edit the original post, but take a look at the this. You should be able to get it to work.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=823370

OLD:

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE TO YOUR PHONE!! YOU ARE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Ok, so for those who like to push the limits with their phones I don't think it gets better then this :)

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to making this possible. We had gotten a lot of good posts.

But a big thanks goes out to danielmid84, he provided me with the link http://nexusonehacks.net/nexus-one-hacks/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-your-nexus-oneandroid/ and a custom modified script to work with our phones, thank you!!

UBUNTU on Vibrant

INSTRUCTIONS

Prerequisites:

Root
    Latest version of BusyBox
    Android SDK ( and knowledge of how to use the tools, adb shell, etc... )
    Understanding of Linux commands ( but not necessary )

Files needed are located here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FALJFT3L
    BootUbuntu script modded by danielmid84 here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=385853&stc=1&d=1282503588 NOTE: This file replaces the BootUbuntu file located in the archive above.
    VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Step 1:

Connect your phone to the computer and mount your internal storage sdcard (Not your external sdcard).

Step 2:

Now create a new folder under sdcard named "ubuntu" for instance "/sdcard/ubuntu/" and copy ALL of the files in the "ubuntu.zip" archive over to this newly created folder EXCEPT the BootUbuntu file. You will be copying over the BootUbuntu file over from the additional BootUbuntu file link provided above.

Step 3:

Now that we have all of the files in place, make sure to "Turn off USB storage" on your phone to be able t access the SD card from ADB Shell. Also make sure your "USB Debugging Mode" is check under "Settings>Applications>Developement".

Step 4:

We are going to want a windows terminal open and we are going to "cd" into your "/tools" folder, wherever that may be located. For example " cd c:\android\sdk\tools".
    Once you are in the "tools" folder, issue this command "adb shell". And for linux users, you will be issuing the command as "./adb shell".

Step 5:

Once you are in ADB Shell, you should see a "#" symbol now.
    You are then going to type "su" to enter superuser mode.

Step 6:

We are going to cd into the ubuntu folder by issuing the command "cd /sdcard/ubuntu".
    Now that we are located in "/sdcard/ubuntu" we will issue the command "sh ./ubuntu.sh"
    This command only needs to be entered once, or if you ever change the file "bootubuntu".

Step 7:

Once that is completed, issue the command "bootubuntu".
    If you get the "localhost" prompt, you have just successfully installed UBUNTU onto your Vibrant. Congratulations!!!

Now mind you, this is not with a Graphical User Interface yet and but you can access the power of Linux and Ubuntu by using a Terminal Emulator.

But if you want a running Graphical User Interface to play with, keep in mind that is uses a lot of memory and continue reading :) and I will have that updated here shortly.

Step 8:

We are now going to install a GUI.
    While still being in Ubuntu with the "localhost" prompt, issue the command "apt-get update".
    Then issue the command "apt-get install tightvncserver".

Step 9:

Once that is complete, you are going to want to issue the command "apt-get install lxde". This will take a few minutes so let it do its thing.

Step 10:

Next we are going to type:

"export USER=root" then
    "vncserver -geometry 1024x800" but you can change the display size to what you prefer.

You will be asked to set a password at this time for login.

Step 11:

Next we are going to add the following commands to /root/.vnc/xstartup.

Now type:

"cat > /root/.vnc/xstartup" it will seem like it is hanging after you push enter, but it is only waiting for additional input. So continue by entering
    "#!/bin/sh"
    "xrdb $HOME/.Xresources"
    "xsetroot -solid grey"
    "icewm &"
    "lxsession"

Then hit Ctrl+D twice and Enter key.

Step 12:

Now open the Android VNC app on your phone with "localhost" as "address" and "5901" as "port". Enter your password as well and connect!! You will now have a GUI for your Ubuntu!

REMEMBER: EACH TIME YOU WANT TO LOGIN TO YOUR UBUNTU, YOU DON'T NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO YOUR COMPUTER. YOU CAN USE TERMINAL EMULATOR.

This is only for full phone reboots to set up Ubuntu again.

Start Terminal Emulator and cd into "/sdcard/ubuntu"
    Then issue these commands:

"su"
    "export USER=root"
    "vncserver -geometry 1024x800"

and you should be able to log back into the GUI with Android VNC again.
    For all you people saying that others are just being negative when we ask why you would want this on your phone. I can't speak for others, but my comment was in response to the op's second post of this thread as seen below. So a) I think my comment was very much relavent, and b) I've still yet to see anyone talk about what they would do on their phone with this full fletched os other than say look what I can do.

I'm surprised that not one person is interested in this...

I'm not surprised there is a lack of interest based on the fact you haven't shown anyone what the practicle use of something like this would be. I'm not suggesting there isn't one, just that nobody in this thread has mentioned one yet.
    Why not?

The same reason I look at the Post your homescreen thread...

Ideas, maybe someone is doing something I would also like to do. Maybe there is a benefit I dont know about....

Knowledge, Maybe I will learn something new today, Knowledge is power and I enjoy learning..

Why would I not want to know the uses of Ubuntu on my phone before installing it and then coming back here to complain that its a waste of time.. Maybe if people see a use in having a full linux os on a very mobile device... Enough people see a need (demand) then they provide us with better products (supply)

The biggest reason is because nobody is answering... why wouldnt you answer what you use this for unless you have no use at all? If its just to do it, I totally understand... Ive done a bunch of crazy/stupid/cool **** just to say I did it.. I mean we only live once..