[Q] Heimdall to flash radio?

Search This thread

IAmCorbin

Dec 11, 2008
Hello,

I'm having some technical difficulties here and wanted to ask the community before trying anything else since I was afraid I had bricked the phone last night but upon leaving the battery out for the night and putting it back in this morning I am able to get back into download mode.

I am working on a Samsung Epic 4G and yesterday I used clockwork to flash a new MTD based ROM ( tried cleanGB and SleeperROM ) and it worked just fine and rebooted. After boot it kept rapidly trying to get service and in the menu you could see airplane mode rapidly checking/unchecking. I discovered this was because the phone still had the old DI18 and for these ROMs it needed EL30. I messed around with using Odin to get the radio on the phone and had no luck as Odin just kept crashing. I spent all day trying different combinations and a couple different cables. Later last night I found Heimdall and built it from source. I put the phone in download mode, connected it, and tried:
Code:
heimdall detect
It found the phone so then I tried to do a modem flash with it. I used the "EL30 Modem Only in BIN format" from here and the command:
Code:
heimdall --modem el30_modem.bin
and it appeared to work just fine. The device turned itself off...and stayed off. I waited a while and then pulled the battery after I could it to do anything by holding any combination of buttons.

So after pulling the battery for the night and then putting it back in I am able to get back in download mode.

I wanted to check to see what I need to flash with heimdall to get the phone back to stock (or ideally a newer version of android since it was running 2.1-update1)?

Also, to anyone familiar with heimdall, did I use that modem command incorrectly or did I leave out somethign else important?

EDIT:
I found these heimdall packages and downloaded the XWJVZ (2.3.6) version and flashed it with heimdall using the command:
Code:
heimdall flash --repartition --pit s1_odin_20100512.pit --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs --cache cache.rfs --dbdata dbdata.rfs --primary-boot boot.bin --secondary-boot Sbl.bin --param param.lfs --kernel zImage --modem modem.bin --verbose
it transfered the files and ended with
Code:
Ending session...
Rebooting device...
Re-attaching kernel driver...
and then the phone went black again. I can't get back into download mode again so I just popped the battery and am waiting.

Last edited:

IAmCorbin

Dec 11, 2008
::facepalm:: I just looked at the files I flashed again after reading your response. I can't believe I did that. I was in a hurry to get the phone fixed and got excited when I found the heimdall packages. I should have read it closer and realized it wasn't for the Epic 4G.

I left the battery out all night and I'm trying to get into download this morning with no luck. I even tried "battery CPR" which I saw others posting about (holding down 1 and power while putting the battery in). I've tried it without the battery plugged into AC and USB as well as with battery in on both of those two power sources.

This isn't looking good :( That is a really expensive mistake to make while unemployed, any other suggestions on ways to bring it back to life?

::facepalm:: I just looked at the files I flashed again after reading your response. I can't believe I did that. I was in a hurry to get the phone fixed and got excited when I found the heimdall packages. I should have read it closer and realized it wasn't for the Epic 4G.

I left the battery out all night and I'm trying to get into download this morning with no luck. I even tried "battery CPR" which I saw others posting about (holding down 1 and power while putting the battery in). I've tried it without the battery plugged into AC and USB as well as with battery in on both of those two power sources.

This isn't looking good :( That is a really expensive mistake to make while unemployed, any other suggestions on ways to bring it back to life?

Leave battery and sdcard out plug cable into phone and computer try download mode.

ÜBER™

Inactive Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Before somebody says the little button under the camera... there is no button. Have you tried leaving the battery out of the phone and just using the USB and the computer as a power source? If not youve got a hard brick. You'll need to JTAG it or send it to someone to get it JTAG'd. Otherwise say hello to your new paper weight sorry bud.

Sent From My Sprint Galaxy Nexus via XDA Premium

Reactions: flastnoles11

IAmCorbin

Dec 11, 2008
Alright, I've tried every combination of buttons and power source I can think of and have been suggested, including "making love" to the phone with the battery while pressing it's buttons.

I think it is time to take it in to Sprint. I found another thread where a user took their phone into Spring without having equipment replacement (which we don't have) and got it replaced under warranty and paid $35 for a replacement. This phone is no longer under warranty though, does anyone know if Sprint is going to help me out if I take it in to a store after the weekend?

Otherwise I need to find someone to help me JTAG it.

nubecoder

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 5, 2010
You repartitioned with incorrect files for your device...
You flashed non Epic 4G boot loaders and a pit (partition info table) from the wrong device...

I'm afraid you are hard bricked.

This is the exact reason Heimdall packages were created (to prevent flashing files for the wrong device).
It would have been a better idea to use these packages (since they are actually for the Epic 4G).

Also you didn't have to build from source and use the cmd line, there are prebuilt install packages and a frontend UI you could have used.

A rather expensive lesson you have learned.
Good luck trying to get Sprint to help you out (not sarcasm, I do wish you luck).

=[

Last edited:

IAmCorbin

Dec 11, 2008
You repartitioned with incorrect files for your device...
You flashed non Epic 4G boot loaders and a pit (partition info table) from the wrong device...

I'm afraid you are hard bricked.

This is the exact reason Heimdall packages were created (to prevent flashing files for the wrong device).
It would have been a better idea to use these packages (since they are actually for the Epic 4G).

Also you didn't have to build from source and use the cmd line, there are prebuilt install packages and a frontend UI you could have used.

A rather expensive lesson you have learned.
Good luck trying to get Sprint to help you out (not sarcasm, I do wish you luck).

=[

Thanks for the response and pointing out the error of my ways, but I wish I would have found those packages you just posted earlier.

I compiled from source because it said:
Code:
NOT AVAILABLE YET – Please compile from source.
Platforms: Debian Linux (AMD64 / Intel 64)

Is it still possible to JTAG it as suggested above if Sprint won't help me? If so it looks like there might be users on these forums I may be able to pay to help me with that?

nubecoder

Dec 5, 2010
Thanks for the response and pointing out the error of my ways, but I wish I would have found those packages you just posted earlier.

I compiled from source because it said:
Code:
NOT AVAILABLE YET – Please compile from source.
Platforms: Debian Linux (AMD64 / Intel 64)

Is it still possible to JTAG it as suggested above if Sprint won't help me? If so it looks like there might be users on these forums I may be able to pay to help me with that?

Ah yes, I see now the newer version doesn't have prebuilt binaries yet.
(I'm still using 1.3.1.)

As far as JTAG goes, I believe there are a couple people here at xda that have the tools/skills needed to help you.
I don't remember who they are off the top of my head, but I believe they offer a "service" (as in "paid for" service) to JTAG bricked phones back to life.

Only one name comes to mind at the moment and that's Adam Outler, but I'm not even sure he does JTAG for people.

Again, best of luck to you.

=]

Benjamin Dobell

Jul 1, 2010
Melbourne
www.glassechidna.com.au
If you can't get the phone repaired under warranty, before paying for a repair (or buying a new phone), I definitely recommend trying a "custom jig". I don't know about the Epic 4G itself as I don't own one, but other Galaxy S devices have two secondary bootloaders on them that rotate each time you flash the device. The custom jig will swap the bootloaders and hopefully allow you to boot into download mode.

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
This^^^ the jig will jump you right into download mode if you do it right (if you don't you could fry the board).. I've done it a few times... possible and not that hard.... you can find a premade jig online for about 2 bucks or so...

nubecoder

Dec 5, 2010
If you can't get the phone repaired under warranty, before paying for a repair (or buying a new phone), I definitely recommend trying a "custom jig". I don't know about the Epic 4G itself as I don't own one, but other Galaxy S devices have two secondary bootloaders on them that rotate each time you flash the device. The custom jig will swap the bootloaders and hopefully allow you to boot into download mode.

Well, there you go.. I was not aware that using a "jig" would rotate between the two secondary bootloaders. Thanks (as always) for chiming in Ben!

The jig consists of a mini USB plug with a 301k resistor connected between pins 4 and 5. That is, as long as Ben is referring to the same thing I'm thinking of.
(I'm going by memory, so check the forums for the correct resistor value before making one.)

I actually have one of these that I made and don't have a use for any longer.
PM me if you'd like me to mail it to you (no charge).

Let me know and good luck!

ps- IDK how a jig could fry the board, but the one I have / made has been tested and works fine (I even have some pics I took while making it).

=]

Last edited:

ABATAPA

Feb 6, 2008
Thank you!

Flashing radio from .tar with:
heimdall flash --pit PIT.pit --MDM modem.bin --APNHLOS NON-HLOS.bin

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Before somebody says the little button under the camera... there is no button. Have you tried leaving the battery out of the phone and just using the USB and the computer as a power source? If not youve got a hard brick. You'll need to JTAG it or send it to someone to get it JTAG'd. Otherwise say hello to your new paper weight sorry bud.

Sent From My Sprint Galaxy Nexus via XDA Premium