Help - device not booting

Search This thread

pyromaniac1

Sep 23, 2011
I was already on stock 4.4.2. Used RSD to flash it when the phone was on JB. My phone's suddenly not botting anymore though. Just stock on the boot animation screen. I tried flashing back the same firmware, but I get "Phone Returned Failed" error on RSD lite every time :(

What can I do? My phone was completely stock. Bootloader wasn't unlocked.

*edit*: Boot animation runs fine. Then it's just stuck at the orb thingy which just keeps going.

Last edited by a moderator:

RikRong

Feb 16, 2013
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6a
I was already on stock 4.4.2. Used RSD to flash it when the phone was on JB. My phone's suddenly not botting anymore though. Just stock on the boot animation screen. I tried flashing back the same firmware, but I get "Phone Returned Failed" error on RSD lite every time :(

What can I do? My phone was completely stock. Bootloader wasn't unlocked.

*edit*: Boot animation runs fine. Then it's just stuck at the orb thingy which just keeps going.
Need more details on "fail." Just saying it failed won't narrow down anything.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

pyromaniac1

Sep 23, 2011
Need more details on "fail." Just saying it failed won't narrow down anything.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Tried flashing VZW_XT926_4.4.2-KDA20.62-10.1_CFC_1FF.xml, get this error.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 79

pyromaniac1

Sep 23, 2011
you have to edit the xml file and completely remove the line containing "gpt" in that error. the partition table cant be changed/downgraded once upgraded.

I did

still luck. Whatever item it tries to flash it returns the same error. I even deleted everything in between that to system.img. Gives the same error trying to flash system.img

pyromaniac1

Sep 23, 2011
Mmk, do not use rsd, use the bat file at the bottom of the directory. You defeated the purpose of it by using rsd.

Sent from my G2 running SlimKat

Ran the script twice. Managed to copy this the second time :/. Phone reboots after flashing is done and like before still stuck at the end of the boot animation.

[*] Press any key to continue.
< waiting for device >
sending 'partition' (32 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.022s]
writing 'partition'...
This may take a few seconds, if a
different partition table is being
flashed since we need to backup
and restore a few partitions
Failed to program partition table
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.328s
sending 'sbl1' (101 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.028s]
writing 'sbl1'...
Failed to erase partition
Failed to flash partition sbl1
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.156s
sending 'sbl2' (126 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.029s]
writing 'sbl2'...
Failed to flash partition sbl2
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.155s
sending 'sbl3' (512 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.058s]
writing 'sbl3'...
Failed to flash partition sbl3
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.323s
sending 'rpm' (140 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.030s]
writing 'rpm'...
Failed to flash partition rpm
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.279s
sending 'tz' (210 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.036s]
writing 'tz'...
Failed to flash partition tz
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.286s
sending 'aboot' (256 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.038s]
writing 'aboot'...
Failed to flash partition aboot
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.292s
sending 'modem' (30720 KB)...
OKAY [ 2.262s]
writing 'modem'...
Failed to write mmc
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 2.385s
sending 'fsg' (165 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.032s]
writing 'fsg'...
Failed to flash partition fsg
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.144s
erasing 'modemst1'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.045s
erasing 'modemst2'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.043s
sending 'logo' (854 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.081s]
writing 'logo'...
Failed to flash partition logo
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.200s
sending 'boot' (10240 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.751s]
writing 'boot'...
Failed to flash partition boot
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 1.468s
sending 'recovery' (10240 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.779s]
writing 'recovery'...
Failed to flash partition recovery
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 1.503s
erasing 'userdata'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.044s
sending 'system' (30720 KB)...
OKAY [ 3.806s]
writing 'system'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 5.397s
erasing 'tombstones'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.045s
erasing 'cache'...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.044s
[*] Flash complete, Rebooting...
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.006s

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
Ran the script twice. Managed to copy this the second time :/. Phone reboots after flashing is done and like before still stuck at the end of the boot animation.

hmm, not good!
it looks like the hole phone is r/o when in fastboot. i have seen this before several times and have yet to see any one fix it.
i thought a few of those may fail, although you weren't actually downgrading any of them, they shouldn't have, but every writing and erasing command has failed. i was hoping that didn't happen.

we didn't try a factory reset but that's pointless, as the script tried it and it failed.

i dont think there is a way to fix this. maybe @SamuriHL has an idea.
just so you know Sam, the "modified" script i gave him a few post down uses moto fastboot to flash everything.
figured that was the best shot, if there was one, given what he already tried.

thanks

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
Without having read everything cause I'm pressed for time, my gut instinct says this:

USB cable (make sure it's the oem cable that came with the phone...yes, it matters), USB port (usb 2.0 NOT 3.0), or USB driver issue.

Reactions: bweN diorD

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
Without having read everything cause I'm pressed for time, my gut instinct says this:

USB cable (make sure it's the oem cable that came with the phone...yes, it matters), USB port (usb 2.0 NOT 3.0), or USB driver issue.

thanks!
i hope its something that simple. since the other instances were unlocked devices running custom recovery (with other mitigating factors), this seems rarely fixable as none of the other causes for a true r/o situation apply here.
im afraid to tell him to try a fdr in recovery, as i have seen quite a few cases go worse lately for no reason.
maybe a simple fix is what is needed.

thanks for your input either way.

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
I always try simple before moving on to the hard stuff. To me it feels like a communication issue with the phone but I don't know for sure. It's a guess. I'd start there at the very least.

Reactions: bweN diorD

pyromaniac1

Sep 23, 2011
I always try simple before moving on to the hard stuff. To me it feels like a communication issue with the phone but I don't know for sure. It's a guess. I'd start there at the very least.

Well a factory reset was the first thing I tried anyway. So no luck there. I've tried it with the OEM cable on my laptop as well as a different cable on my PC. Not sure about the USB 3.0 or 2.0 though. I have a lenovo x230 laptop with 2 USB 3.0 ports so ill try again and see if using those ports with the OEM cable makes a difference.

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
You can not use a USB 3 port. It will fail.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

iBolski

Nope. Tried it on my PC and laptop both on the usb 2.0 port with the oem cable. Still the same :(

I would go an uninstall all drivers, reboot, and then reinstall the drivers and then hook your phone up again to see if that helps. Could be either drivers are corrupted or something else is hosed up.

Since you've tried it on two different computers and it failed, I'm assuming you used the same drivers on both machines? What version of the drivers are you using?

You might want to go to the moto site and get the Motorola helper to bring down the drivers.

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
i assume you've tried both RSD Lite and motofastboot?

he did, several times.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

i assume you've tried both RSD Lite and motofastboot?

results from mfastboot are in post 9.
failed writing and or erasing at every step. i made the script for him, he posted the results.
even if a couple would have failed as writing equal code, they all wouldn't have as it flashes each separately.

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
Yea, not a situation I've seen before. Almost like the partition table is screwed up somehow so it doesn't know the mount points to flash to. Just for fun, let's try something.

Boot her up in AP Fastboot mode, connect it to USB 2.0, then try this:

o) From a cmd prompt, type: fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
o) Then flash the FXZ again either with motofastboot or RSD.

I'm just curious.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yea, not a situation I've seen before. Almost like the partition table is screwed up somehow so it doesn't know the mount points to flash to. Just for fun, let's try something.

I'm just curious.
    ROFLMAO LMAO! I seriously wouldn't get your hopes up here. :D I'm just pulling things out of my ass to see if anything has any impact.

To add to what I said in my last post, pull external cards and the sim before you do it. Don't ask.

I'm just curious.

i have seen this before quite a few times (the problem, not your code) and no one has fixed it yet. but it is my possibly misguided belief, that we just haven't had someone with the right knowledge try to help yet. maybe you are the right one :p