[MOD] T-Mobile Note 2 wireless charging mod

Search This thread

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA
Hi all, I am kind of new to this kind of hardware modification to my phone, and so I was wondering if taping the wires to connect them would work just as well without soldering them?

Trust me, absolutely not. Even if you get something "kinda wedged" in there and you think it's working out it will fail when you need it most. Also, the likelyhood of something going wrong and shorting out is increased when you do modifications with that sort of work. You're far better off spending $20 at radio shack on a 25W soldering iron, solder, and wire and watching some youtube videos and practicing. Soldering is easy once you start!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

degeneration

Jul 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
So, a few questions about my trials in wasting money.

So it started when I ordered the backplate to a GS3 for wireless charging on ebay (it was 28 bucks instead of like 50 for the note 2) and I wanted to buy it because it had the little metal cubes for connecting to the phone, instead of curling up some bare wire ends and applying some solder which didn't seem as stable to me. Well the N2 is inverted in comparison to the GS3, so now I have the little palm charging coil (I actually have 2, I had an old palm pre coil, but again, I wanted the metal nubs) but I am not sure I can make it work since the pos/neg terminals are upside down. Any one know how to mess around with flexible circuits? I was thinking I could scratch away some film to make it work, but not sure if that is even the right idea, let along a good one. I am starting to think a little piece of wire and some solder and super glue to flip the terminals while hopefully insulating the circuit from the terminal. That might not make sense. Any how, any thoughts would be cool (I will add some photos a bit later, as I am going to write this post and take off for a bit).

Second, since someone else asked about it. I can solder, but I am not the cleanest of solderers, so I was thinking: could one use that conductive glue? Apply a little to the end of the wire and put it in place, or would that be messier/not work/etc?

Thanks for any info guys/gals/others.

KittyFae

Jan 11, 2011
Conductive glue is rather hit or miss. The resistance it adds to the circuit is all over the place, almost to the point of not being usable at all.

degeneration

Jul 16, 2010
Seattle, WA
Conductive glue is rather hit or miss. The resistance it adds to the circuit is all over the place, almost to the point of not being usable at all.

Sooo... it might work? Like all other things consider, if I try maybe setting up an inductive charging circuit on an old phone and the resistance isn't too bad I should be good to go? I guess I am asking if the stuff USUALLY A) sticks well enough B) isn't too messy for this job.

xamindar

Apr 8, 2012
seems like it may be hardware related, if you look to the left of the pins, there is something attached on the sprint board that is missing on ours i will circle it in the picture

This is really a shame. Maybe we can figure out what that chip is and order it somewhere? Does it look like that's all that is missing?

Turbo4V

Jun 17, 2009
Just finished doing 'the mod', thanks so much for the write up. The case is a bit of a PITA to get off, which was probably the hardest part of the whole thing. I ended up using wire wrapping wire (30awg) to make the conection and it fit in there perfectly.

Right now I'm running the touchstone with a bench power supply (don't have my charger here), and I"m noticing that if the phone doesn't sit EXACTLY in the right spot on the touchstone, that it starts charging, but immediately stops (then starts again, and so on...) (I'm using the stock tmobile rom). Guess I'll try plugging the touchstone into the Samsung charger later and see if it works any better.

Again, thanks to vinas1 for the great write up!

Justin

Last edited:

KittyFae

Jan 11, 2011
Sooo... it might work? Like all other things consider, if I try maybe setting up an inductive charging circuit on an old phone and the resistance isn't too bad I should be good to go? I guess I am asking if the stuff USUALLY A) sticks well enough B) isn't too messy for this job.

It might work, but the contact you have to glue is rather small so have to worry about bridging issues, and the quality of the paste. It works good enough for prototyping but not for long term use, since it'll eventually fall off after a while with the normal flexing of the case during use.

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA
Turbo4v- are you using any magnets? When I modded my Galaxy Nexus it worked waaay better with 4 or 8 magnets inside the battery cover to align itself with the touchstone. I plan on using 8 n52 magnets on my Notes.

farfromovin

Aug 15, 2011
Oxnard, CA
where would you attach the additional magnets to? also wouldnt that interfere with the S-Pen?

There are 4 round spots on the corners of the touchstone coil cover that have metal discs oeiginally. Replace those round thin discs with magnets and you get a decent aligning method. Double up magnets and it'll hold normal sized phones in a vertical situation.

Turbo4V

Jun 17, 2009
Turbo4v- are you using any magnets? When I modded my Galaxy Nexus it worked waaay better with 4 or 8 magnets inside the battery cover to align itself with the touchstone. I plan on using 8 n52 magnets on my Notes.

No, not using any magnets. Is that what others are doing? I've noticed it's really tricky to even get the phone to stick to the touchstone sometimes, I have to move the phone around till it sticks.

elite-fusion

Sep 12, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
There are 4 round spots on the corners of the touchstone coil cover that have metal discs oeiginally. Replace those round thin discs with magnets and you get a decent aligning method. Double up magnets and it'll hold normal sized phones in a vertical situation.

with with regards to the S-Pen, would that affect it in anyway? That is usually why people say do not get cases that have a magnet closure to them because it affects the S-Pen

_Motoki_

Oct 26, 2011
Out of curiosity, anyone know if this can be made to work with the larger easel style Touchstone for the HP Touchpad?

xamindar

Apr 8, 2012
THIS IS SUCH BS! The AT&T version also has the Wireless Charging capabilities....are we seriously the only ones who dont? WTF

Yeah I'm going to complain. I hope samsung releases an official wireless charger them maybe we can return the phone as a warranty replacement

KittyFae

Jan 11, 2011
After searching the forums for a bit I've not found the answer to my question. If so, then I apologize for the clutter. In the past I've heard that the T-Mobile and AT&T variants are hardware identical, insomuch as the dormant LTE radio in the T-Mobile versions. As per the missing IC/whatever in the T-Mobile version, has anyone verified that the AT&T version physically has the missing component not found on the T-Mobile version?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please do. I might do the same thing... I have lots of touchstones and a couple Note2's that need some inductive lovin'!

Here ya go! Keep in mind that this is my wireless volt mod (as in, the way I did it) and as such, any improvements are welcome! I'm very happy with the mod so far. The phone did a full charge over night with no problems. It was very nice just to pick it up off the touchstone this morning! But as usual do this at your own risk! The person doing the mod should be reasonably proficient at soldering small joints. Just be careful and this will work for you. Instructions are on the JPG! Any questions please ask! Verified working on the stock kernel and stock charger. :good:
    This is a fork of the original N7100 Note 2 wireless mod thread found here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1951493

The purpose of this thread is to determine why the wireless charging pins on the T-Mobile Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889) are not working after installing the MOD above.
    Please view the thread above for more details about the original MOD, and to see what you need to do first in order to continue with the work around below.

Updated method on 8-5-2013: Thanks to SGBE

The updated method has a better solder point. See that thread OVER HERE.

Results:

The Work Around: (verified working on multiple devices)
    We have a mod to make wifi charging work! Regardless if the T-Mobile GN2 is missing hardware or not, the work-around is a low cost (free?) alternative to get wifi charging working. Our work around involves soldering a small wire to a tiny point on the micro usb board. You should be able to solder a very small connection (about the size of a pen tip) before attempting this.​
    The mod/workaround below is verified working with the stock charger and stock kernel. <- Pay attention to that last bit. :cowboy:

Workaround Known Issues:
    Some kernels have a charge rate which is set too high for the PALM PRE Touchstone to work with. Likewise, some non-oem chargers can not deliver enough amperage to continuously charge the device wirelessly through the Touchstone. Therefore, if you have any problems (disconnect/reconnect proble), be certain that you are using a stock charging rate (kernel controlled) and a stock Galaxy Note 2 Charger (2,000mA). If you are still having problems check your mod for trouble, and finally post up and maybe someone can help you.

The Mod / Workaround:
    (also attachment #3 on the list below)

attachment.php

The full work around post is on page 3
    .​

New Information:
    If you have new information on a hardware or software fix then it will be added here. Until that time, proceed with the workaround at your own risk. Once again, the work around instructional image is HERE.

WARNING: What was claimed to be a fix in the section below did not work, and ultimately people wasted money on bogus hardware. It is here for historical reference.

The Fix
    You may need to purchase some missing hardware.

See page 7 for details (you need to replace the flex cable and micro-usb board): http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=34380437&postcount=65 The SKU number for the board is MBRPSS964.

(the false wifi charging image is only attached for historical reference)

Picture legend:
    1. Sprint GN2 chip (the chip is missing on T-Mobile's version)
    2. Sprint GN2 pin pads
    3. Wifi Charging work around instructions
    4. Completed work around example.
    5. alternate view of work around charging pin
    6. alternate view of work around +5vdc source
    7. Picture of the wi-fi fix working (reported that this may be a fake!)

Older info:
    Some steps that I've personally done:
    Completed the wireless mod above, confirmed wireless voltage reading of 5.56vdc.
    Tested continuity between USB positive, and wireless positive - no connection.
    Tested continuity from the negative wireless charging pin to the negative USB, SIM slot, various screws - they are connected.
    Jumped the positive post on the USB to the wireless charging positive pin, the phone charges but is not practical to have a wire hanging out of the USB port.

I plan to pull apart the phone and check the paths from the positive and negative ports on the wireless pins. Attached is a picture from a SPRINT GN2 that does not have the pins, but supposedly works for charging once contact is made with the pads. I'm going to be using this to compare the circuit against my T-mobile version.
    As it stands now, I jumped the USB 5vdc internally with a tiny wire, over to the wireless positive pin. It's working, although it was a tough mod. But it is totally internal so I guess this will have to do for now. So I have wireless charging (kind of, it works teh same as USB) on the T-mobile Note 2 now. If anyone wants to do the same thing, post up a pic of the board by the USB plug and I'll label the connector that you can use for the 5vdc source. The reason it's a tough mod is because you have to solder a small connection to the board under the capacitive touch buttons. It took me about 4 hours to find a good power lead on the board and make it all work internally!
    Did anyone tried the "CircuitWriter Pen"?
    I have one and I am tempted to try it.

Here is what I'm talking about:

http://store.caig.com/s.nl?sc=1&category=&search=circuit
    Circuit Pens not recommended for this mod. Grounding issues and reliability issues with conductive pens. To answer your question directly, I have tested with my conductive pen and it is difficult to maintain a path for any significant distance. These pens are probably good for minor repairs though, just not this mod. The path is pretty long and even if a conductive pen could be used, the risk of shorting is pretty high. It may be possible to use conductive tape, but reliability issues are likely.

I'd like to take this opportunity to mention that the original mod which I posted is still going strong on my phone. Cheers!
    Hey gang. Wanted to update every one of you on this thread because we were able to get it to work on the Note II on the T-mobile network with a very simple fix that required no wiring, etc. It did, however, require that you purchase a Dock Charging Board Flex cable part that fits perfectly on the bottom of the circuit board. It will cause no functional changes to your phone, either. Wireless charging works in addition to plug-in charging.

Because I'm a new user, I can't post links to the purchase store where I bought it but you can go to the website: China Gadget Land and do a search for charging flex cable n7100 - that one result is the one you are looking for. The SKU is: MBRPSS964

Those of you who still want a link can just PM me to find out info about it. I'm also on twitter: @aaldere1

The main difference between the two you can see by the picture attached. The default T-Mobile flex cable has 3 pins on the upper left corner, while the purchased one has two, plus a bit of a difference in circuitry.

We thought originally that this woudln't work but there isn't any functional difference in the phone at all with this part. Again, this is a T-Mobile Note II. Works great.

The good news is that this flex cable can be interchanged with your default one so if something doesn't work you won't have to severely modify your phone to get it back.