Blocking Mode Fix (Root Required)

Search This thread

alphamik3

Jan 24, 2013
**I am not responsible for any damage you do to your phone. This as any other mod is done at your own risk. This is just a guidline on how to get a real fix for blocking mode on your VZW Jelly Bean device.**
This blocking mode fix has been confirmed on both the VZW Note 2 and the VZW Galaxy S3
*You need to be rooted.*

IF YOUR ON A NON-VZW BASED ROM:
JUST FOLLOW PART 3!! (and part 4 if you like!)

IF YOUR ON A VZW BASED ROM:

Part 1

There are two apks that are the reason for blocking mode not working. The two files are the secContacts.apk and the secPhone.apk. You will need download these two apks from a other carriers rom and replace them in the system/app folder in root explorer (or your choice system file explorer) and change the permissions.. (For example download a flashable "att" note 2 rom and copy the secContacts.apk and the secPhone.apk and paste them into your system/app folder. Restart then change the permissions then restart again. Same thing with the Galaxy s3 only you have to download files from another carrier galaxy s3 Rom. From this point on blocking mode will work 100 percent.

Part 2

Now that you have blocking mode working, how can you access it. You can get a shortcut maker app and have a blocking mode home screen icon... OR..You can have it in the settings menu like it's supposed to be! Now just like before there is an apk that VZW had changed to block this. It is the secSettings.apk. So from the same rom you downloaded from before copy the sec.Settings.apk from the other carrier Rom and paste it in your system/app folder in root explorer. At this point you may or may not get a chance to restart your phone (it might freeze for a sec and restart by itself. Once phone restarts change the permissions and restart again. **NOTE: Some roms settings mave have more or less options then the stock. To access these just also copy and paste the secSettingsProvider.apk and everything will work perfectly** **NOTE: menu appearance will not change yet!**

Part 3

Last step. Now that you have the new menu there are still two more files that are causing the menu to change. In root explorer navigate to /efs/imei and delete the map_code.dat and then go to /system/Csc and delete the sales_code.dat. Now restart your phone and you are good to go. **NOTE: after deleting these files any VZW apps on your phone or in market will not be recognized on your phone. For example if you try to download a VZW app from the market it will say your device is not recognized. But they have 'market unlocker' apps that can trick the market to see you as any carrier you want. Also VZW Apps like backup assistant might not work properly.

Part 4

This is not really related to blocking mode but I though I might throw it in here as a bonus. If you copy the feature.xml from another carrier (ex is use the ATT one) and paste it in you /system/csc (I'm my opinion) makes your VZW phone better.The stock email app for example will never try to connect to the VZW server again. It will just go straight to the email app. It also seems to make your phone more responsive and work better with certain samsung apps. (Ex: the samsung apps.apk connects better with samsung push service.* Like I said just a little something extra I noticed.*

ENJOY!

EDIT: Those of you having trouble with step 2 with the secSettings.apk, try the file from either of these rom:
EDIT: You may need to wipe first.

4.1.1: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2033132
or
4.1.2: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2113436
or
4.1.2: http://wanamlite.com/2013/03/07/romcwmxxemb5jelly-bean4-1-2-deodexed-stock-rom/

Last edited:

andybones

Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive RD
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
**I am not responsible for any damage you do to your phone. This as any other mod is done at your own risk. This is just a guidline on how to get a real fix for blocking mode on your VZW Jelly Bean device.**
This blocking mode fix has been confirmed on both the VZW Note 2 and the VZW Galaxy S3
*You need to be rooted.*

IF YOUR ON A NON-VZW BASED ROM:
JUST FOLLOW PART 3!! (and part 4 if you like!)

IF YOUR ON A VZW BASED ROM:

Part 1

There are two apks that are the reason for blocking mode not working. The two files are the secContacts.apk and the secPhone.apk. You will need download these two apks from a other carriers rom and replace them in the system/app folder in root explorer (or your choice system file explorer) and change the permissions.. (For example download a flashable "att" note 2 rom and copy the secContacts.apk and the secPhone.apk and paste them into your system/app folder. Restart then change the permissions then restart again. Same thing with the Galaxy s3 only you have to download files from another carrier galaxy s3 Rom. From this point on blocking mode will work 100 percent.

Part 2

Now that you have blocking mode working, how can you access it. You can get a shortcut maker app and have a blocking mode home screen icon... OR..You can have it in the settings menu like it's supposed to be! Now just like before there is an apk that VZW had changed to block this. It is the secSettings.apk. So from the same rom you downloaded from before copy the sec.Settings.apk from the other carrier Rom and paste it in your system/app folder in root explorer. At this point you may or may not get a chance to restart your phone (it might freeze for a sec and restart by itself. Once phone restarts change the permissions and restart again. **NOTE: Some roms settings mave have more or less options then the stock. To access these just also copy and paste the secSettingsProvider.apk and everything will work perfectly** **NOTE: menu appearance will not change yet!**

Part 3

Last step. Now that you have the new menu there are still two more files that are causing the menu to change. In root explorer navigate to /efs/imei and delete the map_code.dat and then go to /system/Csc and delete the sales_code.dat. Now restart your phone and you are good to go. **NOTE: after deleting these files any VZW apps on your phone or in market will not be recognized on your phone. For example if you try to download a VZW app from the market it will say your device is not recognized. But they have 'market unlocker' apps that can trick the market to see you as any carrier you want. Also VZW Apps like backup assistant might not work properly.

Part 4

This is not really related to blocking mode but I though I might throw it in here as a bonus. If you copy the feature.xml from another carrier (ex is use the ATT one) and paste it in you /system/csc (I'm my opinion) makes your VZW phone better.The stock email app for example will never try to connect to the VZW server again. It will just go straight to the email app. It also seems to make your phone more responsive and work better with certain samsung apps. (Ex: the samsung apps.apk connects better with samsung push service.* Like I said just a little something extra I noticed.*

ENJOY!

what does deleteing the /efs/imei, and sales_code.dat. do?

Last edited:

andybones

May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Sec settings crashes after I replace it, fix permissions, and reboot. Tried cache wipes, etc. No luck on that part. Using a Sprint base MB1 for all files.

I didn't mess with it long, but I got it to work once, but then I wiped and tried again and the same method I used didn't work, so I tried following the OP and didn't work.
if deleting those two files isn't that big of a deal I may try and figure out how to appropriately port this MOD using VZW .apks edited using int. .apks

alphamik3

Jan 24, 2013
I didn't mess with it long, but I got it to work once, but then I wiped and tried again and the same method I used didn't work, so I tried following the OP and didn't work.
if deleting those two files isn't that big of a deal I may try and figure out how to appropriately port this MOD using VZW .apks edited using int. .apks

Which rom are you on? I can give you the files iv been working with if you want to try. Iv been working with an ATT Rom. This method after wiping worked with the files iv been using.

As for the sales_code.dat and map_code.dat as i know that are just for the market to reconginze your device a VZW.for certain VZW apps. Like i said the only thing it did after deleting them for me was the market thing. certain apps like backup assistant might not work properly. everything else is fine.

Also yea a port might be better. Let me know whats up.

Last edited:
Reactions: andybones

andybones

May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Which rom are you on, and is your boot loader unlocked? I can give you the files iv been working with if you want to try. Iv been working with an ATT Rom. This method after wiping worked with the files iv been using.

As for the sales_code.dat and map_code.dat as i know that are just for the market to reconginze your device a VZW.for certain VZW apps. Like i said the only thing it did after deleting them for me was the market thing. certain apps like backup assistant might not work properly. everything else is fine.

I have CleanROMACE downloaded, I got it working with that, very strange though, I did get it showing, blocking mode did turn on and everything got he noti in the status bar I didnt test to make sure they work im sure they do.
I did comb through the VZW secsettings.apk and the one that makes it work and I cannot find a single thing that is making blocking mode show..
very weird..
I'm going to try going thru the SecConacts.apk and SecPhone.apk to see if I an get a port. if you don't use the att secconacts andsecphone, does blocking mode what just not work? fc? do you know by chance?
thank you

alphamik3

Jan 24, 2013
I have CleanROMACE downloaded, I got it working with that, very strange though, I did get it showing, blocking mode did turn on and everything got he noti in the status bar I didnt test to make sure they work im sure they do.
I did comb through the VZW secsettings.apk and that makes it work and I cannot find a single thing that is making blocking mode show..
very weird..
I'm going to try going thru the SecConacts.apk and SecPhone.apk to see if I an get a port. if you don't use the att secconacts andsecphone, does blocking mode what just not work? fc? do you know by chance?
thank you

Ok so on my note 2 I am also on clean Rom ace. So all I did was delete the Sale_code and map_code files and it will show blocking mode in the menu and blocking mode already works. no need to replace any files because clean rom uses generic apks i guess that work for all carriers. so blocking mode already works.. as for the galaxy s 3 i used an att rom to get blocking mode to work with the method in the op. I will upload the files and send you a link in a minute

alphamik3

Jan 24, 2013
Ok so on my note 2 I am also on clean Rom ace. So all I did was delete the Sale_code and map_code files and it will show blocking mode in the menu and blocking mode already works. no need to replace any files because clean rom uses generic apks i guess that work for all carriers. so blocking mode already works.. as for the galaxy s 3 i used an att rom to get blocking mode to work with the method in the op. I will upload the files and send you a link in a minute

I found the post i got the files from: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2033132

This is for the Galaxy S3. This rom is for the ATT/Bell/Rogers/Telus version. i used the above method on a vzw based rom and it wokerd.

For the Galaxy Note 2. i just used the files on clean rom ace on a vzw based rom on the note 2 with the above method and it worked.

Thebear j koss

I found the post i got the files from: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2033132

This is for the Galaxy S3. This rom is for the ATT/Bell/Rogers/Telus version. i used the above method on a vzw based rom and it wokerd.

For the Galaxy Note 2. i just used the files on clean rom ace on a vzw based rom on the note 2 with the above method and it worked.

can you upload the feature.xml you pulled from there so i don't need to DL a whole package just to compare the xml's? thanks!!

andybones

May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5

that ROM is 4.1.1 though, and we are on 4.1.2

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

can you upload the feature.xml you pulled from there so i don't need to DL a whole package just to compare the xml's? thanks!!

the feature.xml from my cell/message block should actually work

alphamik3

Jan 24, 2013

alphamik3

Jan 24, 2013
the files still work.. i will try to find a 4.1.2 rom though

and here is a link to the feature.xml i am using.. it was from the ATT CSC from clean rom ace 4.6.1

http://www72.zippyshare.com/v/65690441/file.html

here is a european stock 4.1.2 rom: http://wanamlite.com/2013/03/07/romcwmxxemb5jelly-bean4-1-2-deodexed-stock-rom/

here is a link for SynergyROM: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2113436

i would try the european rom first. but the should both work.

andybones

May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Another way to do this is to use the 23 lidroid toggle MOD and just enable the "dormant mode" that is blocking mode, this way you don't have to mess with settings.apk and anything with market. long press the toggle to access the settings. and flash the phone and contacts. i havent tested to see if anything works but it should id imagine. if not at least u dont have to mess with settings..

Last edited:
Reactions: bigsexy427

bigsexy427

May 15, 2011
Another way to do this is to use the 23 lidroid toggle MOD and just enable the "dormant mode" that is blocking mode, this way you don't have to mess with settings.apk and anything with market. long press the toggle to access the settings. and flash the phone and contacts. i havent tested to see if anything works but it should id imagine. if not at least u dont have to mess with settings..

This worked for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

alphamik3

Jan 24, 2013

True. Although I personally could are less about any of verizons apps. I think they all are garbage, so for me i dont care about the market saying my device isnt recognized because i dont use them anyway. And the whole reason behind verizon changed everything in the the first place P*$$ed me off and drove me to want to change everything back, the way it should be, the way ALL the other carriers have there phone set up. This is how i found my method. So swapping the settings.apk for another, and deleting 2 (IMO) useless files, will make the menu look the way it was intended to with blocking mode in the menu, no replacement airplane mode toggle, and NO permenant backup assistant accounts, which shows up even if backup assistant is deleted on your phone. There is obviously more than one way to achieve this a blocking mode fix. Its good to have options.

andybones

May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
True. Although I personally could are less about any of verizons apps. I think they all are garbage, so for me i dont care about the market saying my device isnt recognized because i dont use them anyway. And the whole reason behind verizon changed everything in the the first place P*$$ed me off and drove me to want to change everything back, the way it should be, the way ALL the other carriers have there phone set up. This is how i found my method. So swapping the settings.apk for another, and deleting 2 (IMO) useless files, will make the menu look the way it was intended to with blocking mode in the menu, no replacement airplane mode toggle, and NO permenant backup assistant accounts, which shows up even if backup assistant is deleted on your phone. There is obviously more than one way to achieve this a blocking mode fix. Its good to have options.

I wasn't posting this to put you down, just a simpler way to do it.
Just because you don't think that those file are important doesn't mean EVERYONE else feels that way. I give you mad props for finding the other two (useless) files to get it to show in settings (which isn't even made for our phones and adds a lot of MORE useless crap).. IMHO

I'm sure many users enjoy your method, but I think many others will also appreciate NOT having to replace their settings.apk and remove files that a VZW phone needs. Pushing the Phone.apk and Contacts.apk from Synergy is no biggie since we use that ROM anyway.
No need to get defensive bud. Team work is the key here, I'd like to eliminate all int. .apks, and try and port w.e code is missing from our VZW .SecPhone.pk and SecContacts.apk.
again, like I said - mad props for figuring this out bro, many many people across VZW on sgiii and note2 were requesting this like crazy.
and again wasn't trying to put your method down by any means, just letting those know of another way.

Last edited:

alphamik3

Jan 24, 2013
Just because you don't think that those file are important doesn't mean EVERYONE else feels that way. I give you mad props for finding the other two (useless) files to get it to show in settings (which isn't even made for our phones and adds a lot of MORE useless crap).. IMHO

I'm sure many users enjoy your method, but I think many others will also appreciate NOT having to replace their settings.apk and remove files that a VZW phone needs. Pushing the Phone.apk and Contacts.apk from Synergy is no biggie since we use that ROM anyway.
No need to get defensive bud. Team work is the key here, I'd like to eliminate all int. .apks, and try and port w.e code is missing from our VZW .SecPhone.pk and SecContacts.apk.
again, like I said - mad props for figuring this out bro, many many people across VZW on sgiii and note2 were requesting this like crazy.
and again wasn't trying to put your method down by any means, just letting those know of another way.

I wasn't trying to sound like I was getting defensive I was just saying what I thought. Thanks you for the props. I also have to give you props. I agree the missing code is a better and easier method then mine. And I agree team work makes the dream work lol.. I have no idea how to edit the code and go through lines of code of apks so your skills clearly surpass mine.. but yeah glad I can help with what I discovered and hope we can figure it out properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: andybones

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Which rom are you on? I can give you the files iv been working with if you want to try. Iv been working with an ATT Rom. This method after wiping worked with the files iv been using.

I wasn't trying to sound like I was getting defensive I was just saying what I thought. Thanks you for the props. I also have to give you props. I agree the missing code is a better and easier method then mine. And I agree team work makes the dream work lol.. I have no idea how to edit the code and go through lines of code of apks so your skills clearly surpass mine.. but yeah glad I can help with what I discovered and hope we can figure it out properly.