[Script] WiFi Only (Great for devices no longer activated)

Search This thread

CondemnedSoul

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Scary Alien for helping with some of my brainstorms
CPCookieMan for pointing me in the right direction with my initial thoughts for this project
MongooseHelix for the idea of the script vs a flashable zip

This is a very simple script that utilizes the radiooptions command to disable the radio but still allow use of WiFi without having to use airplane mode. Great for people who just upgraded and want to use their older device for an mp3 player with WiFi access. I wanted to make it to be run in init.d on startup but haven't successfully got it working that way yet so for now it can be run with script manager. This script can be run as follows:

1. Download the script and place it somewhere on your SD Card. (Maybe make a folder named Scripts to keep things organized)

2. Download Script Manager from the market.

3. Open Script Manager and navigate to where you saved the script then select the script.

4. Check the options for run as root and if you always use wifi only because you don't have service on your device check off Run at boot as well.

5. When prompted by superuser allow superuser permissions.

I have tested this script on my Incredible and my Eris as well and should be universal to run on any android device.

Download Here

If you are using this on an inactive device and don't want the activation screen coming up after reboot and new ROM flash follow these simple steps.

*NOTE: you need to be using a ROM that has EPST.apk in it for this procedure to work.

1. Select emergency call and dial ##778.
2. Select edit and enter service password 000000.
3. Select NAM Settings.
4. Change Mobile Directory number to 0000000000 (Ten digits).
5. Change MIN1 to 0000000 (Seven digits).
6. Change Mobile Country Code to 000 (Three digits).
7. As you back out "Commit the Change".

Last edited:

CondemnedSoul

Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
cool! Will this work on any rom? I guess it should. This is just what I've been looking for. I'm getting a second dinc to test roms, this won't be on a line so this will be perfect. I haven't flashed scripts before (however it sounds easy enough) is it easy to disable it?

Yes. It will work on any rooted device and any ROM. Just run through Script Manager and if you want to disable it change the settings within Script Manager to disable run on boot then reboot. It's that easy.;)

CondemnedSoul

Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
hey, will this work on a nexus one? I'm getting one for rom testing instead of a second incredible, so, same deal. I would think this would work, but will it?

Yes.. It should work on any rooted device running any ROM. If you want to double check to be certain you can check inside the ROM for /system/bin/radiooptions, then you will know for certain it should work. The script uses that to shut down the radio.

jumperalex

Sep 6, 2010
tether?

So can this allow us to tether the wi-fi only phone to our new network phone? the idea being to use the non-network phone to stream pandora, use google maps, etc?

Carnage9270

Aug 7, 2010
Quick question, I have an old incredible with a cracked screen I wanted to turn into an MP3 player like youre suggesting here. How exactly do I download from the market on a deactivated phone? Can't get past setup without the phone being activated.

CondemnedSoul

Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Quick question, I have an old incredible with a cracked screen I wanted to turn into an MP3 player like youre suggesting here. How exactly do I download from the market on a deactivated phone? Can't get past setup without the phone being activated.

There is a way to get past that using ##778. I don't remember without going through it exactly what in all to do but i have a link at home
On ny comp and I can add the details when i get home.
Sent from my ADR6300

Carnage9270

Aug 7, 2010
There is a way to get past that using ##778. I don't remember without going through it exactly what in all to do but i have a link at home
On ny comp and I can add the details when i get home.
Sent from my ADR6300

Actually got through it by pressing activate and cancelling several times. It finally just bypassed it. Thanks for the script, working perfectly.

CondemnedSoul

Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Actually got through it by pressing activate and cancelling several times. It finally just bypassed it. Thanks for the script, working perfectly.

Doing that will work but next reboot you'll probably get the activation screen again. If not you'll get it again after another ROM flash but it will come back at some point. I think I noticed on my Eris it was after a reboot. This procedure below got rid of it permanently.

3. Select NAM Settings.

Then you shouldn't be prompted to activate again even after a new ROM is flashed ;)

CondemnedSoul

Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Would they have to undo your other step from here? http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16714569&postcount=12

Just asking before someone else does. :)

Good point :). No they won't. Dial *228 option 1. It will ask for the phone number you want to activate and that stuff will be done ota. That's how I activated my Eris with a different number as well. I would suggest making sure to do that from a stock or stock based ROM as well.

Sent from my ADR6300

lordc

Jul 7, 2009
Hi!

Just a question? It isn't easir just use airplane mode + wifi on? on my CM7 nightly i can do it and runs fine. CM7 also remebers the last radio mode after hot reboot.

Sorry for my english. I'm not native

CondemnedSoul

Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Hi!

Just a question? It isn't easir just use airplane mode + wifi on? on my CM7 nightly i can do it and runs fine. CM7 also remebers the last radio mode after hot reboot.

Sorry for my english. I'm not native

That is also an option to this script. Not everyone likes the airplane mode method for one reason or another though so this is an alternative for those people.

You're English isnt bad. I've seen natives with much worse and wouldn't have known you weren't ;)

Sent from my ADR6300

hasseye

Jun 15, 2008
I have the HTC Evo View 4G that I did this too, but for some reason when I ran the script I got the signal bar with an x through it saying "looking for service". Isn't it when it looks for service it's draining the battery more? Isn't there anyway to completly remove the signal bars?

Also, I'm trying to remove the activation upon startup, but the View doesn't have a phone to it. is there any other way to disable the activation throuhg the registry or something?

4218kris

Feb 22, 2009
Springfield MO
I have the HTC Evo View 4G that I did this too, but for some reason when I ran the script I got the signal bar with an x through it saying "looking for service". Isn't it when it looks for service it's draining the battery more? Isn't there anyway to completly remove the signal bars?

Also, I'm trying to remove the activation upon startup, but the View doesn't have a phone to it. is there any other way to disable the activation throuhg the registry or something?

i think your right when you also go to battery it say cell standby is using alot of power mine was aroun23%

localceleb

Jul 11, 2009
Birmingham
I'm confused....I have a non activated incredible that I use at work connected to wifi every day and i've never done anything special to it besides rooting and different roms...am i missing something here?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CPCookieMan for pointing me in the right direction with my initial thoughts for this project

This is a very simple script that utilizes the radiooptions command to disable the radio but still allow use of WiFi without having to use airplane mode. Great for people who just upgraded and want to use their older device for an mp3 player with WiFi access. I wanted to make it to be run in init.d on startup but haven't successfully got it working that way yet so for now it can be run with script manager. This script can be run as follows:

1. Download the script and place it somewhere on your SD Card. (Maybe make a folder named Scripts to keep things organized)

3. Open Script Manager and navigate to where you saved the script then select the script.

4. Check the options for run as root and if you always use wifi only because you don't have service on your device check off Run at boot as well.

I have tested this script on my Incredible and my Eris as well and should be universal to run on any android device.

Download Here

If you are using this on an inactive device and don't want the activation screen coming up after reboot and new ROM flash follow these simple steps.

*NOTE: you need to be using a ROM that has EPST.apk in it for this procedure to work.

3. Select NAM Settings.
    Would they have to undo your other step from here? http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16714569&postcount=12

Just asking before someone else does. :)

Good point :). No they won't. Dial *228 option 1. It will ask for the phone number you want to activate and that stuff will be done ota. That's how I activated my Eris with a different number as well. I would suggest making sure to do that from a stock or stock based ROM as well.

Sent from my ADR6300
    As long as you have an active data connection through WiFi gps/mac will work.

Sent from my ADR6350 using xda premium

There is a difference between GPS the technology vs "navigation". Yes, google maps will not work without an active data stream (it does not pre-load map data). However, depending on the GPS chipset, an active data stream is not mandatory for turn-turn navigation. Just a quick check on my DINC, using Sygic and downloading my state map, I went into airplane mode, checked my GPS status using as app called surprisingly, GPS status (there are a bunch like this). I fired up the GPS app (that also has preloaded POI data) and it looked to work just fine. I'll give it shot on the way to work this morning, but it looks as if the GPS chipset on the DINC will work without an active data connection for GPS with the correct nav software.

As far as google maps and NAV, you can go to the labs section and enable local caching of up to 10 grids (not sure on the size off the top of my head). Now you lose the satellite/traffic overlays, obviously, but a quick check in airplane mode with this also looks like nav still works.

Anyways, just some things to try out/consider.

<>Update<>
    Sygic worked great for turn-turn nav to work in airplane mode.

Google maps worked fine with my updated location in real-time (I have my areas cached locally) however, even with that data in hand, the turn-turn directions will not work. So google maps, yes, google nav no.

Download Here

3. Select NAM Settings.

i cant get this to work on CM7 i downgraded to 2.2 rom with epst.apk run the commands and flash back to cm7 and i still get the nag. :(

if you leave it in airplane mode wifi will work with cm7 and there is no nag.
    So I attempted too use your script. Everything worked like you described, greyed or signal with an X. Many problem is that even though my cell signal is off, I have a huge battery drain. When checking battery usage, 90% of my usage goes to cell tower standby. I'm ruining a cm 7.2 Rom so I couldn't use the epst.apk. that wouldn't have anything to do with it right

Sent from my SGS3 using Beans Custom ICS Touchwiz