Note 2 SDS (sudden death syndrome)

Search This thread

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
i know and i have read the first post
that clearly shows how to check emmc (by installing an app from google play)

so my is not "how can i check emmc version"

BUT my question is...

How may i find out if motherboard (chip) is repaired or not in a used phone?

...By running the app in the OP... They cannot "repair" the chip. It either has the faulty chip, or it has a different chip. It's not complicated... :rolleyes:

Reactions: nicholes

gadgetuk437

Dec 29, 2006
Devon/Cornwall border, UK
Most of your posts are in this thread, so I assume you have been following things closely,
any advice?

About Device is reporting;
Version 4.1.2
Baseband Version N7100XXDLK7
Build Number JZ054K.N7100XXDMB2
Kies is reporting current firmware version is; PDA:MB2 / PHONE:LK7 / CSC:MA5 (XXX)
Last firmware update was last month OTA

Question is, which number do I look at to tell which update I have?
And does it have an SDS fix built in?

If not, what should I do?
(new kernel? New ROM? Both?)
----------------EDIT---------------
Done a bit of reading round, and I gather it's the Build Number not the Baseband Version I should be concerned with. My build number is XXDMB2 (which it turns out was released start of March for UK). Does this build protect me, seeing as my symptoms started just about the time of the update?

Initially, I thought it was the update that was causing the symptoms and tried a factory reset, not realising that the firmware is NOT reset when you do that.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

How may i find out if motherboard (chip) is repaired or not in a used phone?
You are not being clear as to your situation.
There is nothing you can see on the phone that will tell you this, you must run the app.
So, if you have the second hand phone in your hands, download and run the app.
If you are buying the phone, get the vendor to do it for you and report.

Last edited:
Reactions: nicholes

nicholes

Mar 7, 2012
indore
...By running the app in the OP... They cannot "repair" the chip. It either has the faulty chip, or it has a different chip. It's not complicated... :rolleyes:

but according to this post #412

My Note came back today from Phoneland in Bicester who had sent it to Samsung UK for repair. It now has the sane chip. eMMC check reports:
Type: VTU00M
Date: 11/2012
FwRev: 0xf7

It has v4.1.2 DMB2/DLK7

Just to recap, this is the BTU version bought in October 2012 in the UK running stock 4.1.1 until it died whilst on charge overnight.

i thought his phone came back from repair?
and this man is also talking about repair

Just got my Note 2 back from the Samsung service centre.
It was rooted and ran a custom rom Revolution HD 6 with perseus kernel.
10 days ago is went black. symptoms like SDS ... only the faint red led flash when the on/off button was pressed.
I was not able to unroot or put the stock rom back on or whatever. It was dead.

A lot was replaced the guy told me, although it doesn't make much sense to me ...:
  • ic-mcp
  • cbf coaxial cable-mhf ii
  • assy etc-if sub fpcb ass
  • a/s assy-pba main comm g
  • assy module-spk+rubber a

It was repaired under warranty.

[dcw]aaron

Aug 2, 2011
Davao City
if you guys could just back read..all infos are already posted in this thread..it's becoming redundant to answer same questions over and over again..

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
Reactions: badril81

goenne

Feb 27, 2013
Just back from samsung repair center. They Didn't change the board. Just installing a new update.. still hang when browsing or opening file from extsdcard.
Wtf they thingking about. They playing with my time and passion.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

el_commandante

Jan 15, 2011
Bremen, Gemany
Just back from samsung repair center. They Didn't change the board. Just installing a new update.. still hang when browsing or opening file from extsdcard.
Wtf they thingking about. They playing with my time and passion.

Had the same experience in Germany. I think they are working on instructions from Samsung. Either try to get a replacement from your vendor or send it back a second time - usually it gets repaid the second time around.

urkrishpatel

Oct 1, 2009
TRIED EVERYTHING but ISSUE BEYOND FIX

Model: GT-N7100
Baseband: N7100XXDLK7
Build: JZo54K.N7100XXDLK7
eMMC Chip:
Date:08/2012
FwRev:0xf1

So I bought this phone back in Oct2012 and from last month I am start having this so called "Sudden Death" "Freeze" issue so check with EMMC app and yup the result is Insane Chip. Now from last 3 days I have tried all the kernels including(persius and XDLL7) and bunch of other recoveries and ROMS and nothing is fixing this problem. Now this is "Made in UK" version and I am living in USA so Samsung Mobile USA has declined to honor the warranty so Samsung UK has suggested to me to contact Samsung USA. Now I have spend $700 for this so called flag shipped device and all I have got is brick for this price.As this point I am so mad at Samsung that I have decided to go "DARKSIDE with APPLE or WP8 NOKIA" as they honor warranty worldwide does not matter where it manufactured . One thing I dont understand though it was perfectly fine for first 4 months without having any problem working like a charm without any root or custom rom and now suddenly its start behaving so crazy that almost unable to use. If any one can suggest me the solution so I dont have to waste my $700. Thanks so much for all your support and efforts in advance my fellow XDA members

Reactions: goenne and remedya

sachinaik

Jun 6, 2011
Bangalore
I guess this issue does not happen on a 32 GB note 2...

Till now I can see that only 16GB note 2 users are affected...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

remedya

Aug 18, 2012
Samsung's poor limited warranty

I had a similar issue with Samsung's limited warranty. I was on vacation in India when my Note 2 had SDS and Samsung India would not honour the warranty so I had to wait until I returned to the UK before sending my Note 2 for a warranty repair. This delayed repair spoiled my holiday and I was without a working Note 2 for 5 weeks.

I will not be buying Samsung again due to it's poor limited warranty.

Kjc99

Dec 22, 2012
Anchorage
Is there a time frame after the initial 150-250 days when SDS usually strikes that we can start to relax about sudden death I have a GS3 and a Note 2 both with affected chips. When can we determine our motherboards are not faulty? Never?

el_commandante

Jan 15, 2011
Bremen, Gemany
I had a similar issue with Samsung's limited warranty. I was on vacation in India when my Note 2 had SDS and Samsung India would not honour the warranty so I had to wait until I returned to the UK before sending my Note 2 for a warranty repair. This delayed repair spoiled my holiday and I was without a working Note 2 for 5 weeks.

I will not be buying Samsung again due to it's poor limited warranty.

Not that I am excusing Samsung, I've had my fare share of problems with them too, but I don't think that any of the other major players are any different. I've had exactly the same problems with Apple and Cannon and in both cases we're talking much bigger sums - the canon was a 7k camera and while I'm a professional service member that didn't help the issue either...

Dpk1

May 24, 2012
Model: GT-N7100
Baseband: N7100XXDLK7
Build: JZo54K.N7100XXDLK7
eMMC Chip:
Date:08/2012
FwRev:0xf1

So I bought this phone back in Oct2012 and from last month I am start having this so called "Sudden Death" "Freeze" issue so check with EMMC app and yup the result is Insane Chip. Now from last 3 days I have tried all the kernels including(persius and XDLL7) and bunch of other recoveries and ROMS and nothing is fixing this problem. Now this is "Made in UK" version and I am living in USA so Samsung Mobile USA has declined to honor the warranty so Samsung UK has suggested to me to contact Samsung USA. Now I have spend $700 for this so called flag shipped device and all I have got is brick for this price.As this point I am so mad at Samsung that I have decided to go "DARKSIDE with APPLE or WP8 NOKIA" as they honor warranty worldwide does not matter where it manufactured . One thing I dont understand though it was perfectly fine for first 4 months without having any problem working like a charm without any root or custom rom and now suddenly its start behaving so crazy that almost unable to use. If any one can suggest me the solution so I dont have to waste my $700. Thanks so much for all your support and efforts in advance my fellow XDA members

Sell yours if it is still in working condition & buy something else. I did the same with mine. Don't get me wrong, i loved my note2 but couldn't risk getting SDS after warranty expiry. Damn you, Samsung!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys, I have been recently reading a few Note 2's dying of SDS (Sudden Death Syndrome). This has affected previous Galaxy S3 phones, and now some versions of Note 2.

========= Note: This is different from the exynos bug ==========

To check, install "eMMC Check" from google play and run it. Disregard the message saying Brick bug = No. Sane chip, and look at your eMMC chip type and FWRev.

If your:

FwRev: 0xf1

your phone is affected by the bug.

I have read that Andreilux's Perseus kernel V31.2 (Perseus alpha31 (09/01)) temporarily repairs this bug. I am running his kernel anyway. But my question is, how many of you guys have the above chip?

It does include the fix but otherwise they're outdated, same story as on the S3.

Updated to 31.2; same changes as on the S3:

Samsung's fix for the sudden death syndrome (SDS) included. It is caused by eMMC failure on phones with VTU00M 16GB internal memory chips with revision 0xF1. You can check your phone with the "eMMC Brickbug Check" in the Play Store (Ignore the message if it says you're not affected, the type and revision is what matters). The patch is a firmware soft-patch that is applied on every boot and MMC resume, it is not a permanent fix. You will need to stay forever on kernels which include the patch, this also includes updated recoveries and their embedded kernels.

Perseus kernel thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36552266#post36552266

==============================================================

Updates and useful links:

UK/EU Samsung repair: free samsung repairs

I spoke to these guys this morning asking about the free postage on their site, according to them, postage is free but they are not tracked, and they advised me to use a recorded/insured postage.
    for those of you who can't check the unit with emmc, here are the series of tests you can do to check if the unit has the 0xf7 chip:

- the 1st four numbers of the IMEI code on the box should be 3550 and up
    - if you can open the box but still can't do installation of the emmc app, you can do this test: on the dial pad input *#12580*369# then look for the HW Rev (last one) and should be: MP 1.301 (MP 1.300 is the 0xf1)

i've read this somewhere within this thread and did those tests prior to purchasing and yes i got the 0xf7.
    10.000.000 devices have been sold until now.
    60.000 owner of note2 have been reading this thread.
    20-30 SDS's have been reported here.
    Bottom line: the risk of SDS is less than 0.1%!
    Fair, there might be an increase over the next months since many devices are currently not in the critical age.
    However, I don't think we do need to worry to much about it. Especially not if you're on the latest versions of ROM, Kernel and Recovery.
    Just my 2cent...

I don't care what the statistics say. I know that if even one person encounter this issue, it gives him/her 100% frustration and upset. I may sound biased because my phone just died (no PIT partition), but trust me, I'm definitely in a better state than some of the users who have no idea what the hell is going on, given some of them do not come to the forum. Hell I wish I did not use the phone so much without coming to XDA more often to discover these issues proactively, because I assumed the device I spent this much on should have been more stable or at least not being troubled with serious issue like this.

I do agree with you that the number is pretty low, but also think of the everyday person who has never heard of XDA they aren't reading about this problem and go to their provider and get there device replaced.... I just want Samsung to make a damn official statement about it already but it's not looking to likely

So I am with Kjc here. Screw Samsung.

well according to this poll result after using of 6 months(people who have 0xf1 chip) 6 phones died out of 11

at that poll most of the people have not used their phone for six month.(11 people)

the % is much higher!

Again this is some statistics. Note, however, it is not about how high the chances are. It is about how LOW it is and yet I still happen to be one of the victims. Not to mention that the population of N7100 users in the forum should only be a sample of the total population of N7100 users worldwide. If I can be the one who is this unlucky, anyone can (or could have been). As of today, only 20% of VOTERS are having this issue, but the number of total voters is merely 35.

BTW, I've only used the phone for 5 months.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Ok i sounded like a lil whining b1tch in the last post sorry guys. I was just hit by this sudden death thing and read around a little more and feel much better now. As I realized that it is actually pretty funny to read things like "SDS is coming" LOL. It reminds me of someone saying "OMG I'm gonna die".

Anyway, I searched in this thread a little bit using keywords "AT&T" "U.S." "US" "United States" but found nothing. My concern is that has anyone in the U.S. who bought thru Amazon's import sellers had this issue and claimed his warranty successfully? I bought the phone Oct 31, 2012 thru an Amazon seller called Wireless Everything (or sth similar). I think the phone was from Austria when I checked after open it, and I flashed Open Germany 4.1.1 firmware. Am I gonna be able to contact and use U.K. customer service for warranty claim and repair? Or does Austria phone get to be sent to Samsung Austria?

Thanks for any inputs if you know.
    well.... According to "Theory of probability" almost 50% phone is dying after use of six months with insane chip(6 out of 11)
    Fact: Your sample size is too insignificant to make a conclusion according to normal common sense. You dun even need to read whatever theory to know that.
    Oops.

Done the test. ..

Insane chip.

Have the latest software so hope I am okay now.

No root so can't check anything further.

Worried about what would happen after warranty expires though....

How possible is it to get a replacement phone off I explain?

Are you in the EU law? EU law covers you for up to 5 years for a design flaw like this, or up to 2 years for regular electronic device faults.