Steps to get back GPS on your T-Mobile Galaxy S3

Search This thread

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
Thanks but I really hate the idea of having to Odin this back to stock and reroot just to get GPS to work again but if that's my only option then I'm gonna have too.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
Try flashing the synergy ROM, that's what worked for me and a few others

sent from my wicked pink sgs3

Didn't work but thanks for telling me, I test for a couple of devs at times but this seems to be a bigger problem than I expected so I ended up the Odin route. I'm gonna see if I can figure out a way to correct it for those whom want to go back from aokp/aosp (version 4.2x) to 4.1 so everyone doesn't have to do this all the time.

The_F_Word

Dec 6, 2010
You been thanked op :) great work to get GPS back. Works well

Sizzlechest

Dec 18, 2010
I never left 4.1.1 rooted stock, but GPS isn't working for me. Exactly what symptoms do you have? I ran GPS Test and it shows 20 or so satellites, but none of them have any signal strength.

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
I never left 4.1.1 rooted stock, but GPS isn't working for me. Exactly what symptoms do you have? I ran GPS Test and it shows 20 or so satellites, but none of them have any signal strength.

Well you'll usually never see the GPS icon in notifications it just isn't there, anything that requires GPS will either say check settings in location services when its on or just not work. If your locking on and the GPS icon just blinks then you might just have to clear GPS defaults and reboot. GPS status can correct that under tools.

Seny from the one and only GS3.

Sizzlechest

Dec 18, 2010
Well you'll usually never see the GPS icon in notifications it just isn't there, anything that requires GPS will either say check settings in location services when its on or just not work. If your locking on and the GPS icon just blinks then you might just have to clear GPS defaults and reboot. GPS status can correct that under tools.

For the heck of it, I downgraded using ODIN and it still doesn't work. I guess I may have a defective phone. T-Mobile is charging me $20 for a warranty replacement!

Xx_silenzer_xX

Feb 1, 2011
Okay so downloading firmware which program do I use to Odin it back tho ?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Sizzlechest

Dec 18, 2010
I discovered two reasons for my GPS woes:

1) The case was interfering with the signal! It had a metallic paint that must have been blocking the GPS signal.

2) Tightening the screws. I swear!

mojorisin7178

I gotta say I noticed that the gps on this phone is just not too good. Even when it was new out of the box. I tried this methode and it did not work. My phone came with 4.1.1. So that is what I went back to. Maybe I should try going back to the first ICS build that the older phones came with. All I know is my note 2 is spot on and this one is miles off.

puremalice

Jun 4, 2010
Thanks a million

For those really wondering what this issue is:

I had tried out a few 4.2 roms but just wasn't really satisfied with some of the issues I was seeing. I put my phone back to original and everything seemed to be working just fine. I was using my GPS last weekend just fine and then it just stopped working. I couldn't get a lock or navigate anywhere. GPS Status didn't even show that I was seeing any satellites at all. I thought I had dropped it over the weekend or something.

There is a supposed fix to tighten the screws but this didn't help me at all.
I did a factory reset and flashed a stock 4.1 rom I had but that didn't help at all either.

I followed the OP and BAM! There are my satellites again!

Thanks again for getting my phone working I thought I was off to the store....

jammy_22

Nov 19, 2010
For those really wondering what this issue is:

I had tried out a few 4.2 roms but just wasn't really satisfied with some of the issues I was seeing. I put my phone back to original and everything seemed to be working just fine. I was using my GPS last weekend just fine and then it just stopped working. I couldn't get a lock or navigate anywhere. GPS Status didn't even show that I was seeing any satellites at all. I thought I had dropped it over the weekend or something.

There is a supposed fix to tighten the screws but this didn't help me at all.
I did a factory reset and flashed a stock 4.1 rom I had but that didn't help at all either.

I followed the OP and BAM! There are my satellites again!

Thanks again for getting my phone working I thought I was off to the store....

if i flash the latest 4.1.2 over the 4.0.4 ICS will the Gps work..

puremalice

Jun 4, 2010
Sort of working....

if i flash the latest 4.1.2 over the 4.0.4 ICS will the Gps work..

That I am not sure of. For a quick update the GPS worked great today into the office. I used WAZE all the way in with no issues at all. On my way home I did run into the same issue of not seeing any GPS activity at all. I was on a call so couldn't really troubleshoot the issue until I got home. I rebooted and now my GPS seems to be working again.

I spent most of the day in Titanium restoring and getting the phone back to the state I use it in so maybe something I have installed is causing this issue. I will give it a couple of days and if I am still having issues I will follow the original post again and stay pure stock and see what happens.

I will let you know the results.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You just need to do the following steps to get back GPS on your T-Mobile GS3
    1. Install TriangleAway here. Thanks to Chainfire.
    2. Open TriangleAway, reset flashing counter (you must have root access)
    3. Download original unrooted firmware for T-Mobile Galaxy S3 (T999UVALEM) here. Thanks to SamMobile
    4. Boot your phone into Download Mode (Volume down + power + home) and flash the firmware above via ODIN
    5. If you have bootloop after flashing, remove battery, boot your phone into Recovery Mode by holding volume up + power + home (should be stock recovery because custom recovery will be lost), wipe data (factory reset) + wipe cache
    6. When your phone finishes rebooting, you will see the GPS has been fixed and worked perfectly.
    7. Upgrading to the latest JB 4.1.1 by flashing the rooted firmware by DocHoliday77 here. GPS still works.
    Please thanks if this post is helpful. :)
    Can we just flash these via recovery? I don't have access to a laptop

Sent from Flip's S3

See first line of op

If i helped hit thanks
    Did the same thing, was told that if you flash the Synergy Rom it will bring back your GPS, it worked for me as well, connecting fast as ever too! It's worth a try

Thanks but I really hate the idea of having to Odin this back to stock and reroot just to get GPS to work again but if that's my only option then I'm gonna have too.

Try flashing the synergy ROM, that's what worked for me and a few others

The Synergy ROM is the easiest fix... I made a full backup in TWRP in case I bork it again but installing Synergy, downloading and running GPS Test from Play Store and waiting until I get a lock then going to whatever ROM I want worked perfectly.