Metro PCS Sgh-t399n

Search This thread

drakeheart77

Dec 22, 2010
Kansas City
Modifications for stock 4.4.2

I have found that custom ROMS/Kernels and much else for this phone to be sorely lacking. This is by no means an attack on my respected dev peers, simply an observation.
Throughout the woes of our limited forums I see a trend in the gripes about this little wonder.
I am offering my personal settings & preferences that MAY unleash what we can do here.
FIRST THINGS FIRST- Just forget needing buggy builds of TWRP for KK+ rom flashing. There's not much to flash, and TWRP 2.7.1.0 forced me to dl the KK stock firmware & start from square zero.
*NOTE FOR REASONS STILL UNKNOWN EVERY SINGLE PARTITION WOULD RESTORE- EXCEPT THE SYSTEM.
Enough said.
I am using CWM 6.0.2 for stability reasons, and have no issues.

Now I will begin the good stuff.
After my mods/tweaks etc, I am running about 97 apps with 3.9GB internal memory remaining, can go about 11hrs without needing to charge, give or take, and can multitask seemlessly with around 410mb free RAM at stationary.

Obviously, one needs to utilise the KK SD card fix. After this, begin:

Install /system/app/mover from Play Store & BE CAREFUL!!

I proceeded to begin moving bloatware preinstalled apps from being system apps to User apps, freeing essential system rom space & allowing for safe uninstall and transfer to ext sd.

Now on to build.prop.
Unleash what we can do here.
Here is the link to my build.prop zip. Please note all mods & adds specifically, as they are unique to the likings of this phone.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-a-fg6mIteHakZfYXk1eklla3M/edit?usp=docslist_api

Next, I HIGHLY suggest the Override DNS for KitKat. Only one that works for 4.4 & above. Set to Google, which is also feasable in bud.prop, but my experience has been iffy with that, and this app flushes DNS cache w/o reboot and sets DNS KitKat specific.

GPS- FasterGPS.
Here is the link to the Advanced Settings data after basic configuration. The results speak for themselves.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-a-fg6mIteHellndldvUG5Eb1k/edit?usp=docslist_api

Dl and rename to .txt to view.

I use RAM Manager Pro for memcleaning & management.
Use default option, the select custom afterwards to fine tune settings to preference.

If ANYONE needs recovery files for any soft brick needs AND has CWM, please PM me & I will upload mine.

Hope this gives some insight on how to begin using this guy properly.
Open forum. Ask/request away, add to it please!

Last edited:
Reactions: pmpn4lf420

drakeheart77

Dec 22, 2010
Kansas City
Screenshots

RAM Manager Pro Custom settings that I use:

NOTE: Notice custom launcher in screenshots- by using /system/app/mover to convert Touchwiz to user, I freed up substantial rom space, mem, and performance. I use Apex Pro.

Attachments

• 1425963419262.jpg
    1425963419262.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 888
  • 1425963434006.jpg
    1425963434006.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 864
  • 1425963445148.jpg
    1425963445148.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 819
  • 1425963459231.jpg
    1425963459231.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 812
Reactions: pmpn4lf420

pmpn4lf420

Mar 22, 2015
I've begun modding my stock sgh t399 and I was wondering if u could talk with me a lil. I've seen massive potential over cost n this phone. Mainly don't understand build prop yet. Don't wanna brick it

Sent from my SGH-T399N using xda Forum

timmetal6669

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 15, 2012
Redlands CA
Moto G7
Screenshots

NOTE: Notice custom launcher in screenshots- by using /system/app/mover to convert Touchwiz to user, I freed up substantial rom space, mem, and performance. I use Apex Pro.

You guys are in luck. .. the gods had pity and sent someone to steal my galaxy s3 and 5 and Tablet 7.0... so, I ended up with this phone. . But there's little to no development, especially for the metro variant. .. sooo... I'm doing a little work. ... look up .. team rejects.... you'll understand soon. ..good things coming. . :)

Planterz

Feb 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
You guys are in luck. .. the gods had pity and sent someone to steal my galaxy s3 and 5 and Tablet 7.0... so, I ended up with this phone. . But there's little to no development, especially for the metro variant. .. sooo... I'm doing a little work. ... look up .. team rejects.... you'll understand soon. ..good things coming. . :)

Unjustified Dev is working on CM12 for this phone, but he's pretty much the only one. Whether you team up with him or you work independently, it'll certainly be good to have more people working on this phone. Bummer you had to lose your other devices though.

drakeheart77

Dec 22, 2010
Kansas City
A different route

Hey all, thanx for the attention & activity in getting this thread moving.
I readily & always tell all I am not a Dev, I assist true devs here & there to work towards
stables, patches, fixing kernels, and so on.
That's out of the way, now on to the progress.
I have been using an AOSP deodexed stock 4.4.2 ROM, and praises to the efforts of
the community member, and much to my discredit I can't readily recall who this person
is to post a link to that thread, as is proper. oh well.
While the AOSP stock build is a big showing of progress, I say with a heavy heart that
it is very, very buggy.
What the positive effort was: It is debloated to such a level that upon a fresh install,
the user still has 4.2GB Internal Storage.
This, I've found, is the single most common misdirected goal and focus of efforts with
throw-away-yet-kinda-quality nocontract phone.
After I installed TB Premium, I discovered that the system ROM had around 182Mb available.
I now come to reports.
Every Stock 4.4.2 system app was still there, however the writer replaced a few (ie Camera
with Google Camera, for one) that completely eat up what precious limited RAM/
ROM performance we do have.
The build.prop showed only a few mods/edits, less than five.
The dalvik.vm.heapsize was 128m, heapstart was 8m, and growth limit 256mb.
That was same as stock. Speaking only for me, that was the biggest oversight that
tainted almost all efforts. Those sizes are entirely TOO big for this phone's britches.

If I seem like I just will not stfu, I can't blame you.
I feel I have to be as thorough as possible out of respect for my colleagues.
Now, since I am using Chrome from my device for all of this, you all will find up look oads
and images following this reply, fyi.

My first inspection was to install SetCPU, in small hopes that a customized kernel
had magically came. I am BEGGING for more governors and I/O schedulers, our less-than-
primitive 5/3 is downright insulting.
Kernel supports absolutely no tweaks, VM swap, O/C or min freq. U/C.
My goal is to take the only alternative given on 4.4.2 at all, and make lemonade.

System/app mover from Play Store.
There are countless threads on what is & isn't safe, my mods on that are my prefs.
In the end, I was able to free ROM up to just over 406MB. I can't begin to describe
the difference.
On to build.prop
To compliment my new device I just got, I set dalvik.vm sizes to a less audacious level.
I chose the more conservative of 8m, 64m, 128m. *Note any less on any 3 values, your FCs
will never cease.
Next, I made a few other edits I've favored on several devices, will upload my .txt.
Use of SD Fix for KitKat, along with Force2SD paid, I have 104 apps, many being very large
games, as well as the evil Chrome and FB storage rapists, all Google offenders at that.
I have a smug 4.32 GB Internal Storage available, saving me much embarassment by killing all my ROM wins.
AdAway 2.9 for KitKat, Override DNS for Root Users, the ONLY DNS mod that works on
KitKat, FasterGPS, Seeder 2.0, Root Explorer paid, TB Pro, NG Cache Cleaner, SignalGuardPro
and SD Booster make up my arsenal.
Touchwiz & Trebuchet are gone, I use Nova Launcher Premium.
Restoring TB app backups from external SD put my phone into bootloop.
I am clueless as to any reason why.
Using ANY root sysApp delete to debloat will also softbrick.
System/App Mover seems to be the only way. I speak from a few experiences and Nandroid
system part. restores.

I COMPLETELY CONDEMN MY PRIOR CONVICTION TO CWM.
I completely f*"$ed that up.
TWRP 2.8.0
NOTHING ELSE.
I even attempted a rash Aroma Installer to compensate for MusicFX being gone.
Ac!D Sound Mod.
Worked. And Improved.
RAM Manager Pro is gone too. I've found my build.prop edits are just right.
Any app tweak mucks it up.
Battery Callibrate Root, free on Store. Another win on battery life.

This is the most I can really do now.
Without a custom kernel, we'll be left behind like nearly all Prepaids, non flagships.
That's MY report, I beg for input/feedback/comments/criticism/ridicule, whatever.
Next Replies will be build.prop.txt, gps.conf, screenshots.

drakeheart77

Dec 22, 2010
Kansas City

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-01-04-53-20.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-01-04-53-20.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 376
  • Screenshot_2015-05-01-04-47-12.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-01-04-47-12.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 363
  • Screenshot_2015-05-01-04-49-21.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-01-04-49-21.png
    48 KB · Views: 366
  • Screenshot_2015-05-01-04-48-44.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-01-04-48-44.png
    116.3 KB · Views: 340

drakeheart77

Dec 22, 2010
Kansas City
DISREGARD BUILD.PROP UPLOAD FROM PREVIOUS.
I missed some critical errors & edits that will negatively impact the phones performance and memory allocation, dang my bad all!
I've been at this phone non stop it seems since my previous post. Need to be less trigger-happy with reporting progress smh.
I'm uploading what I promise is my finished build.prop, for real this time.
Since I am sticking with this stock AOSP build, I was able to successfully flash an Aroma recovery installer mod, the Ac!d Sound Engine.
I should note that the only EQ offered that will work is Nooxide. Awesome Beats EQ is not designed for 4.4 platform.
The Ac!d enhancement and Dolby Mod both have made positive enhancements.
The Play Store that is built in to the .zip install MUST be replaced. Initially the writer included that Play Store will FC upon install, but clearing cache/data in app manager would fix, and was correct.
I can't assume that I'm the only one who has caught this, but I am reposting in writer's thread that Play Store will update to 5.4 build, and it becomes all but unusable.
Any Play Store update beyond 5.2... has never functioned properly for me, it seems Google is making a path for Lollipop migration, and the Play Store versions 5.3 and above are, I believe, geared for 5.0 platform, but still giving it to 4.4 users.
I downloaded a Play Store 5.2 apk from a third party site, saved to my external.
What I now believe is the present solution to this situation is this;
Get 5.2.** apk, keep it on External, or readily available.
Get System/app mover
Root Explorer
After flashing, use System/app mover, and convert Play Store from system to user app.
Reboot. Uninstall Play Store as regular user app. Install 5.2.** apk. open System/app mover & convert Play Store to system app. Hit "cancel" on reboot prompt in app. Go to app manager, Google Play Services, clear cache and ALL data under "Manage Storage". Then reboot.
This has fixed, for good, my issues.
As stated before, use System/app mover at your own discretion and what is your preference, just make a backup first and understand what you are doing.
I am satisfied with what I've worked out, and do not have any other work to do that I can see.
Thanks all.
Next reply is RIGHT build.prop
apologies again.
Drakeheart77

Last edited:

drakeheart77

Dec 22, 2010
Kansas City
Update- have recently corrected setting dalvik heapsize and limit to lower settings, causes many MANY problems, fc's etc.
Set to 8m, 64m, 256m.
Absolutely primed.
Further system mods gave me 433Mb free ROM space, and around 4.1Gb internal storage free.
Happy thus far.
If anyone is keeping up on CM12 build, share to this forum please.
I wish to aid the dev in any way possible.

Reactions: endercase

kireflow90

Dec 3, 2014
Update- have recently corrected setting dalvik heapsize and limit to lower settings, causes many MANY problems, fc's etc.
Set to 8m, 64m, 256m.
Absolutely primed.
Further system mods gave me 433Mb free ROM space, and around 4.1Gb internal storage free.
Happy thus far.
If anyone is keeping up on CM12 build, share to this forum please.
I wish to aid the dev in any way possible.

I am using the CM12 build and its pretty good. If you havent tried it yourself you should its pretty stable. I do like to see that you are working on the stock rom though. I like that one too just too much bloatware and not enough free space, so this is good!

drakeheart77

Dec 22, 2010
Kansas City
I've tried keeping tabs on that here & there, can't seem to find dl link for latest/stable build. I've given up on this stock ASOP, just flashed back to stock 4.4.2. Added all those mods I've been posting, runs 110% better.
Would you be so kind as to point me the right way to dl this CM12? I'm looking again, but it would help a lot lol.
Ty for your participation.

I've tried keeping tabs on that here & there, can't seem to find dl link for latest/stable build. I've given up on this stock ASOP, just flashed back to stock 4.4.2. Added all those mods I've been posting, runs 110% better.
Would you be so kind as to point me the right way to dl this CM12? I'm looking again, but it would help a lot lol.
Ty for your participation.

Here's a link to the cm12 development thread http://xdaforums.com/android/development/dev-cyanogenmod-porting-t2918432

And here's the link to unjustified dev's samsung galaxy light folder that has the latest cm12 build http://xdaforums.com/android/development/dev-cyanogenmod-porting-t2918432

drakeheart77

Dec 22, 2010
Kansas City
Thanks

Ty I actually found it shortly after I requested that from you.
Been running it since then, a LOT of trial-and-error runs, but I've
managed to get it running just right for me, almost...
Fixed constant soft reboots by setting location to device only
Have no issues at all with phone calls, only the persistent
proximity during a call, I must position my phone a certain way,
my cheek kept touching the speaker and mute icons.
Any advice on that is welcome, I've tried the build.prop edit:
ro.lge.proximity. delay=25
mot.proximity.delay=25
without much luck lol.
And, the MMS issue. I'm on MetroPCS, so I have set the default
APN accordingly.
After researching CM Mod forums & searches, the only
solution anyone has ever provided is to use third-party SMS,
Textra was the specific example.
It seems to be arbitrary, I've had continuous successful deliveries,
then shortly after they fail every time..rebooting has AND has
not fixed this...too random of success/failures to pinpoint myself,
but I by no means am a master at this ☺.
Any help or ideas are most welcome!

kireflow90

Dec 3, 2014
Did you clean install? I set my APN to metro fast or whatever its called and have had no problems with texting. The only issues I have other than the proximity that you mentioned, is that videos don't always play. Plus the newest Netflix doesn't work and neither does play TV and movies. Both force close when I try to open

Sent from my SGH-T399N using XDA Free mobile app

drakeheart77

Dec 22, 2010
Kansas City
Well, I've since returned to Stock KitKat w/ root & modifications. The Cm12 was nifty at first, but in the end I desire functionality over custom.
Too many apps/features that I want & use often just didn't work unfortunately. Oh well, I'm still willing to pitch in & help out devs!

kireflow90

Dec 3, 2014
Maybe you could help develop the cm12 rom. Unjust lent his galaxy light out, and idk if he got it back yet

Sent from my SGH-T399N using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Screenshots

I have found that custom ROMS/Kernels and much else for this phone to be sorely lacking. This is by no means an attack on my respected dev peers, simply an observation.
    Throughout the woes of our limited forums I see a trend in the gripes about this little wonder.
    I am offering my personal settings & preferences that MAY unleash what we can do here.
    FIRST THINGS FIRST- Just forget needing buggy builds of TWRP for KK+ rom flashing. There's not much to flash, and TWRP 2.7.1.0 forced me to dl the KK stock firmware & start from square zero.
    *NOTE FOR REASONS STILL UNKNOWN EVERY SINGLE PARTITION WOULD RESTORE- EXCEPT THE SYSTEM.
    Enough said.
    I am using CWM 6.0.2 for stability reasons, and have no issues.

Now I will begin the good stuff.
    After my mods/tweaks etc, I am running about 97 apps with 3.9GB internal memory remaining, can go about 11hrs without needing to charge, give or take, and can multitask seemlessly with around 410mb free RAM at stationary.

Obviously, one needs to utilise the KK SD card fix. After this, begin:

Install /system/app/mover from Play Store & BE CAREFUL!!

I proceeded to begin moving bloatware preinstalled apps from being system apps to User apps, freeing essential system rom space & allowing for safe uninstall and transfer to ext sd.

Now on to build.prop.
    Unleash what we can do here.
    Here is the link to my build.prop zip. Please note all mods & adds specifically, as they are unique to the likings of this phone.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-a-fg6mIteHakZfYXk1eklla3M/edit?usp=docslist_api

Next, I HIGHLY suggest the Override DNS for KitKat. Only one that works for 4.4 & above. Set to Google, which is also feasable in bud.prop, but my experience has been iffy with that, and this app flushes DNS cache w/o reboot and sets DNS KitKat specific.

GPS- FasterGPS.
    Here is the link to the Advanced Settings data after basic configuration. The results speak for themselves.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-a-fg6mIteHellndldvUG5Eb1k/edit?usp=docslist_api

Dl and rename to .txt to view.

I use RAM Manager Pro for memcleaning & management.
    Use default option, the select custom afterwards to fine tune settings to preference.

If ANYONE needs recovery files for any soft brick needs AND has CWM, please PM me & I will upload mine.

Hope this gives some insight on how to begin using this guy properly.
    Open forum. Ask/request away, add to it please!
    Screenshots