How to filter ads on your G1

Search This thread

Edgar_Wibeau

Nov 15, 2009
errr, usually I'm the one to complain about ppl who don't read the thread sorry :-/

The funny part is, no matter how often I try it doesn't work. Always the same exception, have to restart the app, do the same step, exception. Anyone tried the app on the Milestone? To make sure I've searched the whole thread for 'milestone' this time.

Edit: seems like I'm a little slow today. I had already updated /etc/hosts by hand (wget, dos2unix, adb...) and now read the thread _carefully_ ... aaaah now I got it. Started AdFree, hit "update", got the exception, _did_not_tap_ok_ (!!!) ;) - again hit "update" and yeppp! it works! Lots of thanks folks!

Last edited:

gurugabe

Apr 14, 2009
Fort Stockton, TX
Adfree backup fix for Windows users

mount sdcard to windows. extract zip file to windows drive ie c: and execute batch file (.bat) enter your windows drive letter for your device. it will copy the script posted earlier in thread to your scdard and execute it on device to repair the java error.

just trying to make it as easy as possible!:)

Attachments

• adfree.zip
    704.2 KB · Views: 68

TeeJay3800

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 31, 2009
Michigan
Which hosts file does AdFree use as it's source? MVPS is mentioned earlier in this thread, but I've had AdFree tell me a hosts update is available even when the MVPS hosts file has not been updated. Is there another source being used?

Last edited:

TeeJay3800

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 31, 2009
Michigan
Cool, thanks. I've never heard of yoyo before. The two sources that I use on my PC are MVPS and hpHosts. They're both updated regularly with new domains being added and outdated domains being removed frequently. Is there any way to customize AdFree so it uses those two sources instead of those that are built in?

SiNJiN76

Sep 14, 2009
Using BTC IP got rid of the big upside down android pic showing in place of the ads and also the browser popup window saying that connection couldn't be made. But, I notice that when I'm on a site where it blocks an ad...the page seems like it's fully loaded, but the loading icon indicates that it's still loading....never stops.

SiNJiN76

Sep 14, 2009
I uninstalled the app...and rebooted...but it seems that it's still blocking ads in apps...Uh...how do i uninstall it completely?

SiNJiN76

Sep 14, 2009
Okay...so after many wipes...installs of multiple roms...a wipe of the delvik cache...

I no longer have Adfree installed. I get ads in the browser....but the ads in the apps that i previously used don't show ads. ??? confused ??? :confused:

Don't get me wrong...it's a good thing...but wondering why? Does it have something to do with the information stored in my SD card?

Chahk

Apr 11, 2009
New York
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
Okay...so after many wipes...installs of multiple roms...a wipe of the delvik cache...

I no longer have Adfree installed. I get ads in the browser....but the ads in the apps that i previously used don't show ads. ??? confused ??? :confused:

Don't get me wrong...it's a good thing...but wondering why? Does it have something to do with the information stored in my SD card?
The app itself doesn't block the ads. All it does is download a fresh copy of "hosts" file from the author's server to /system/etc/ directory on your phone. This hosts file has a list of addresses that are considered "bad" and re-directs them to a bogus page (127.0.0.1, for example). When Android OS reads this hosts file every time it tries to resolve an internet address, and if that address happens to be on the "bad" list, it just displays the error you saw instead of the ad. Here is more info on the hosts file.

All you had to do was either use the app's "Revert" button, or simply re-flash your current ROM to get the original hosts file back. The apps where ads are still blocked are probably using cached data. I suggest clearing it out via Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications, and then under the ones you need use the "Clear cache" button.

prophetic

Sep 24, 2007
I upgraded my ROM from CM 4.2.13 to 4.2.14.1, and in the transition my Adfree seems to have stopped blocking ads. I tried checking for an updated hosts file, but it said mine was up to date. I also tried uninstalling the app, reinstalling it, then rebooting. That was a no go, too. Can anyone help me get this app working again? Thanks.

bubbleflubber

Nov 17, 2008
Extra hostnames to add

Here are 2 other hostnames to add to everyone's blocklist.

ads1.msads.net
core.ringleaderdigital.com

MSN Ad service used on mobile version of MSN pages, along with Ringleader Digital core ad service, also utilized by mobile MSN.

Last edited:

Chahk

Apr 11, 2009
New York
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
I upgraded my ROM from CM 4.2.13 to 4.2.14.1, and in the transition my Adfree seems to have stopped blocking ads. I tried checking for an updated hosts file, but it said mine was up to date. I also tried uninstalling the app, reinstalling it, then rebooting. That was a no go, too. Can anyone help me get this app working again? Thanks.

When you install a new version of any ROM, it overwrites parts of the /system partition, including the hosts file. I guess the check for updated entries on the server gets confused when this happens. You should perform the update regardless.

SiNJiN76

Sep 14, 2009
Is there a way to stop getting the 'data connectivity problem' message to not appear when an ad is blocked? I tried unchecking the security messages in settings, but that didn't do it.

Also, I've asked about this on page 23, but I would prefer to use the BTC option (it doesn't display the green android when blocking ads), but it seems to hang the browser...I see the loading status at about 95% and it just stays there and keeps loading.

TeeJay3800

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 31, 2009
Michigan
The two sources that I use on my PC are MVPS and hpHosts. They're both updated regularly with new domains being added and outdated domains being removed frequently. Is there any way to customize AdFree so it uses those two sources instead of those that are built in?
Is there any update on this? I really like hpHosts and would like to use it on my phone.

TeeJay3800

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 31, 2009
Michigan
Is anyone else not getting updates in AdFree? It's been over a month since I received an update, and even though MVPS was updated yesterday, it still says no updates are available. I think something is wrong with it. Any ideas?

malaeus

Mar 27, 2009
bleargh i thought adfree did this nicely. when i have the java iO exception i just turn off wifi.

Last edited:

madamson86

Mar 18, 2010
Does not seam to block ads within my apps

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong but on Chompsms and Music Junk the adds are still displaying. Is there something that I have not done? I have checked for the latest updates and it says everything is fine.

Cheers
Miuke

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can find the latest version of this app on the slideme app store.

http://slideme.org/application/adfree

This is the old thread, I started a new thread in the general section => http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=40759351

================================================================================================================================================

Spoiled by ad free browsing on my normal desktop computer it became increasingly annoying seeing all the ads on my phone. However it's really easy to make them disappear, although you most likely will need root on the phone.

Download the hosts.txt file from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt, you may need to run dos2unix over the file to remote \r characters, rename the file hosts and copy it to /system/etc on your phone and say goodbye to most ads.

You may find the list to be imperfect, for example some feedburner URLs are "blocked" as a result which can screw with RSS feeds, although it's annoying giving too much info to Google but like everything else in life some things are a trade off.

If you want to root your phone, try this article.
    I'm getting a fatal error saying that my copy is too old, I'm using latest version from market/play store 8.44

I've been dreading this day since my hdd was wiped a while back, I've uploaded a new version using a new signing key 0.8.45, but you'll need to remove the current version first.
    I really would like to see Adfree in another store like FDroid!!

Cheers.!

I was uploading to slideme.org until I had issues with old signing keys being lost.

For people wanting the current version I uploaded the apk file to the website: http://adfree.bigtincan.com/adfree.apk
    new Ad blocker

Hi folks,

I have released my own hosts-based ad blocker named AdAway, it can be found on the market with the following features:

• AdAway is Open Source
    • AdAway lets you select your own sources of hosts files
    • You can add exceptions to your Whitelist if some apps are not working with ads disabled
    • You can define extra hostnames in your own Blacklist

Market: market.android.com/details?id=org.adaway
    Source: gitorious.org/adaway

I would like to hear suggestions and ideas for possible future releases. Please look into the Issue tracker before and add your suggestions there: code.google.com/p/ad-away/issues/list
    Here, a quick edit of the host file to fix the Words with Friends and Medscape. Just copy and paste it into "/system/etc" and overwrite the host file or wherever your host file is located.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?mda7sx9eovfkh03

If you wanna do this yourself, use a text editor like Notepad++ and just remove any references to server that's being overlayed in Words With Friends and any references to Medscape.