SHIFT FAQ

Search This thread

plastictree

Apr 12, 2008
"A: If you can still run apps. in WM run the clearstorage.exe, otherwise take a look of this thread (ALL DATA WILL BE LOST)"

Sorry but it seems there's no active link... After I liberated my italian SHIFT I'm not able anymore to connect it in HSDPA mode (it seems the problem started when I changed resolution with RealVGA...): also in Vista mode I'm hearing the connect and disconnect sound continually...

Do you think an hard-reset is the only solution or there's some less drastic solution? thanks a lot

PS: Can I use clearstorage.exe also from Vista?

pusler

Mar 7, 2007
link updated,

alot of people here have the problem that vista looses 3G connection, use search, lots of threads here

micron

Mar 27, 2008
Sofia
RESTORE/RECOVER:
Q: How do I recover Vista, from the recovery partition ?
A: When booting vista press F3 (fn + 3) and follow instructions on screen. (ALL DATA WILL BE LOST)

This oki a my problem next step windows recovery run and blink error

"X:\windows\system32\WDSCORE.dll is either not desined to run on Windows or it containt an error.Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software cendor for support"

HELPPP

danielherrero

Oct 3, 2006
Madrid
www.softwaredhr.es
Hi.
I ve a similiar problem. Ubuntu installer stole space from the recovery space so I cant recover because ImageX program hangs when is recovering. HTC told me to send my device to Tecnical center but I am waiting for a "faster" solution.....I dont know why they dont give a CD if we are paying for a vista license....

Fixup

Nov 25, 2006
I have not found a clear answer to these two questions:

1) If I use WM to browe the web, how long the battery can last? Two days or two hours?

2) What's the resolution under WM: 640x480, 800x480 or 1000x600?

Thanks.

pof

Retired Moderator
Mar 18, 2005
Barcelona
pof.eslack.org
1) If I use WM to browe the web, how long the battery can last? Two days or two hours?
If vista is turned off, windows mobile will last 2-3 days depending on usage.

If you surf the web you need 3G enabled, so it's more power consuming, so it will last between 6 an 10 hours if you don't turn the screen off at all during that time.

Note that you can't surf the web using wifi if Vista is switched off. So if you use wifi the battery will last only 2 hours because you need Vista on.

2) What's the resolution under WM: 640x480, 800x480 or 1000x600?
By default is 320x240, however you can liberate SnapVUE and use RealVGA to make it 640x480.

samersamer

Jul 8, 2008
looking for SD driver and phone

Greetings to all,
thanks for all great people who worked on upgrading this HTC shift
but would you please help me in these two issues:
1. using SD memory in windows mobile
2. using HTC shift for phone calls
thanks upon your great help and good luck

xyaqubx

Dec 7, 2006
Sorry...But how many times somebody will be asking the same question , when is well known that it is so far impossible.

jlechner

Jan 23, 2008
Kansas City
Just wondering if this thing uses the REAL internet? With flash and all. Basically, is it a browser just like when on a pc or laptop?

pusler

Mar 7, 2007
Just wondering if this thing uses the REAL internet? With flash and all. Basically, is it a browser just like when on a pc or laptop?

Yes and No!

In the vista part it’s a normal pc where you can install any browser!!
On the WM side there is a space limitation, so it’s a matter of priority....

4all

Apr 15, 2007
Greetings again :), and are resolving doubts and mistakes, step by step and with the invaluable assistance of developers is found that has been very good investment and that HTC has not disappointed, hopefully continue, I know of other suppliers of PDA and UMPC which have failed or fail, Why?, as well easy, do not give options to users of its products to upgrade or take advantage of new features, big mistake. My query is this time by referring to Windos Mobile and its ability, in my other teams, I am very pure PDA software installed with miniSD cards, of course, Is there any way to expand capacity, storage at WM?, Is a memory internal flash?, or Is part of the disk partition?. Thank you for your help.:D:D
PD::confused:Before post I read virtually every post and little or nothing refers to the ability of WM and its possibilities, shared memory capacity sharing folder with Windows Vista, etc. ...

pusler

Mar 7, 2007
Well for the time being there is no way to extend storage in the wm side.
it is a chip on the board so unless you are hardware wiz BIG time it's a no go :mad:

There is however some connection from the wm side to the SD card ( we know HTC has used it for debug before) and there is wired connection between. but how to utilize it is a different story, that is yet to be written :(

So for the time being uninstall and cleanup is your only option...

4all

Apr 15, 2007
Thanks for your answer, I imagined something of this item :( , it is a pity, because there are about WM crowd of applications very useful, as a complement to Windows Vista, with so little capacity, practically only use it for mail and Google Map GPS, surely there must be some way to expand the capacity or the WM interconnect with Windows Vista, to see if the :eek: HTC :eek: are charitable and give response to this issue soon. Thanks! and greetings. :D

...see if the :eek: HTC :eek: are charitable and give response to this issue soon. :D

HTC will not be charitable about this, their answer is that the Shift does NOT have Windows Mobile on it, it has Snapvue, which does what it was designed to do and nothing more.

Kevin Chen, the general manager of HTC, is quoted as saying "The HTC shift does NOT have Windows Mobile embedded, but a Wireless data modem with advanced BIOS and some of the same applications as you would see on a Windows Mobile Device."

http://kaz911.blogspot.com/2007/09/kaz911-interview-with-kevin-chen-about.html

pharaons

Apr 18, 2006
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Kevin Chen, the general manager of HTC, is quoted as saying "The HTC shift does NOT have Windows Mobile embedded, but a Wireless data modem with advanced BIOS and some of the same applications as you would see on a Windows Mobile Device."

They should have made this clear right from the beginning. I believe this is a fraud situation where almost all who got their Shift units were surprised to see that it does not have a full and working Windows Mobile system. The HTC Shift website does not mention any of this. It lists all the features including GPS and WIFI and all the other fancy and nice characteristics without drawing the line between the laptop side and the WM side. You get the impression that all functions work under both sides and is encouraged to get out there and buy a device.

I'm not saying that I don't like my Shift, I love it, but I was misguided into buying it and would have appreciated the full details and information up front.

I believe that we would have a good CLASS ACTION here if we decide to go after one. This will bring HTC to its knees and will force them to provide the drivers and the type of support you guys deserve.

Any supporters?

Regards,
Samer Pharaon

thaihugo

Oct 22, 2005
The only one missleading was Hugo Ortega in his now infamous review of the shift. HTC never said it would be full WM6 since last year. I know that for sure, I was listening to every single info about this.

4all

Apr 15, 2007
They should have made this clear right from the beginning. I believe this is a fraud situation where almost all who got their Shift units were surprised to see that it does not have a full and working Windows Mobile system. The HTC Shift website does not mention any of this. It lists all the features including GPS and WIFI and all the other fancy and nice characteristics without drawing the line between the laptop side and the WM side. You get the impression that all functions work under both sides and is encouraged to get out there and buy a device.

I'm not saying that I don't like my Shift, I love it, but I was misguided into buying it and would have appreciated the full details and information up front.

I believe that we would have a good CLASS ACTION here if we decide to go after one. This will bring HTC to its knees and will force them to provide the drivers and the type of support you guys deserve.

Any supporters?

Regards,
Samer Pharaon

Absolutely, I share the same opinion, when I shall not upset with the theme of WM, not worth it, if you can not really release the DS in WM little or nothing for me to serve this OS, as I have already commented I work a lot with Mobile software, TTY, telnet, VPN, networking, etc. ... because of my job and clear the mobility is crucial, it added a connection to 3G is the most we can ask for, but clear, if this team in its section on Windos Mobile has no storage capacity to install applications only I could serve as a Notebook, small, but a Notebook. Let us hope that someday may be releasing this paragraph, the SD and have all the features offered by Windows Vista and Windows Mobile, the same team, otherwise it is impossible to install anything, because of its storage capacity excasa in paragraph Mobile. Best regard.
Released on the SD slot for Windows Mobile, and this

Ultra2SDHC_16GB.gif

would be great, je, je, je