Official Verizon Wireless GPS/aGPS Discussion Thread

Search This thread

nedfunnell

Jul 3, 2010
^---Did that on a stock verizon rom the mr2 rom I believe it is. Doesn't require a data plan as I don't have one and it is blocked on my phone.

I don't believe this uses agps just unlocks the regular gps. Sometimes takes a little to lock but once it does it works great.

When I was stuck trying to unlock it the main thing i forgot to do was use qpst---service programming----gpsone tab. Should work with no problem. I don't know about this on custom roms though....

Also if your trying to use the internal gps programs like google maps won't work because they require a data plan or at least internet service of some sort like wifi which obviously sucks. I'm sure you already knew this just thought I'd point it out..

Where can one get Garmin XT?

Dekoy411

Jun 7, 2010
Im pretty sure you can still buy it from garmin maybe not though. Otherwise torrent websites maybe?

benmacher

Jul 10, 2010
Okay, searched alot and not found the answer...

I have an xv6800 with MR2. I have unlocked the gps and it works fine with google maps and another program I downloaded for free (OpenMobileMaps). Outside finds the satellites in less than a minute...even indoors works pretty well.

But I am connecting via wifi...so here is my question...

Is there a way, once you have unlocked the gps capabilities, to get turn by turn navigation for free? I understand that maps would most likely need to be downloaded to memory card, but can it be done...can you get the gps to function without data plan OR wifi? If not free, is there an relatively inexpensive solution without requiring data plan, wifi, or purchasing a separate gps unit like a garmin? Thanks...

Dekoy411

Jun 7, 2010
Simple answer is yes. If it is already unlocked you just need either the tom tom software or the garmin software, not the garmin software and bluetooth gps package.

Before I flashed mine I had the mr2 with the gps unlocked and I just installed the garmin xt software on it. Those softwares don't require a data plan or a wifi connection(I didn't have either). If you search around online you can probably find it for free to download...BUT that wouldn't be legal nor do I know of any sites.

benmacher

Jul 10, 2010
Thanks for the reply...I did figure out that I can use the gps without the data or wifi. I used OpenMobileMaps which is interesting, and I saw a thread that shows you how to use Google maps with it (also very cool), but while it follows your position, it doesn't do the turn by turn. Saw Bing had it, but I'm not sure if it requires data connection all the time and it won't work on QVGA anyway (cab file install said resolution is too low). I still haven't figured out how to cache Google maps : ( I guess you have to go online to Google maps, and trace your route ahead of time, while zooming in every step of the way? I'm not even sure if that does it...

I will look for the programs you mentioned. Hopefully they will be affordable to warrant not just buying a standalone gps unit. Thanks again...