[All Carriers]Touch Wiz Themeing Questions

Search This thread

shane6374

Jun 23, 2009
Minneapolis
Since the carriers were split up and the most posts in the original thread came from the AT&T themers, I think we should make that the main thread.
Please post in the thread linked above so we can keep all the info in one thread.

Since themeing Samsung's TouchWiz UI is not quite as simple as AOSP, and sometimes even device specific, I thought it would be nice to have thread for the themers here to help each other, post tips and things like that so we can all learn and get some killer themes going on this thing.

Also, (if this gets becomes a sticky) we can keep the themeing question threads to a minimum.

For those of you that don't know me, I've been themeing Android for about a year and a half now. I started on the Epic 4G then moved over to the Nexus S 4G. I'm always willing to help others at time permits.

Happy Themeing!

Since the US carriers were combined into one forum, please note the carrier for you device when posting.

When people are helping you make sure you use the "Thanks" button to show your appreciation!

Here are some goodies that have been posted so far.

Remove Carrier ID from status bar on AT&T rom: Thanks to mrvirginia & deserted1 Here

Guide to remove Carrier ID / Clock from the status bar by deserted1

How to center the clock by Swiftks

Some more status bar mods thanks to freeza

There are many other tips, hints, how to's, and tools in the thread so please search to help keep the thread clean.

Last edited:

Ceelos09

Apr 18, 2011
Looking forward to your work again Shane.
Loved your 'Dark Horse' port on the Epic.
Hopefully our GS3's get some Shane 'Dark Horse' themed love of some kind too :D

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

myn

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 15, 2007
Shane,

Great idea. Collaboration is so important. Wish we had more of these kinds threads :)

Looking forward to seeing some killer themes from everyone :)

Bizdady

Jul 24, 2010
I havent themed in a while so I had to dust off the good ole apktools last night. Ya I'm need a refresher course lol

Dont have my phone yet but I started to poke around just to get a feel for things.

shane6374

Jun 23, 2009
Minneapolis
Well, with all the US variants merged to together this could get sticky in here. Hopefully we don't have any issues with soft bricks, data mishaps or anything like that like we did in the Galaxy S days from using themes for different carriers.

lgkahn

Mar 26, 2010
londonderry
i have a version of systemui i modified for att
I have custom battery icons (not 1% as i used 7zip instead of a full rebuild)

i was able to change the battery icons,
loudness/slilent icon, airplane icon, wifi icons, alarm icon etc.

but for some reason the signal icon changes are not being applied.. i tried clearing cache, and dalvek cache.. still no go..

CAnnot figure out where it is getting the old icons from.. looked in framework-res as well but as far as i can tell they are not in there..

I have changed these sucessfully before in ics on my sgs ii..

anyone have any ideas?

thanks

Bizdady

Jul 24, 2010

but for some reason the signal icon changes are not being applied.. i tried clearing cache, and dalvek cache.. still no go..

CAnnot figure out where it is getting the old icons from.. looked in framework-res as well but as far as i can tell they are not in there..

anyone have any ideas?

thanks

Is the rom deodexed?

shane6374

Jun 23, 2009
Minneapolis

anyone have any ideas?

thanks
Since Gingerbread those have been called out from the systemui. If you are running an odexed rom, there's your problem. Many of the png's are loaded in the odex file and cannot be changed just by editing the apk.

lgkahn

Mar 26, 2010
londonderry
Is the rom deodexed?

nope with the 7zip method (read up on it) you dont need that.. you just swap .png right in the .apk(s)

it is the stock rom\

and i succesfully did the same thing in the sgs ii systeui (and those icons are in there since i can see them).. however, maybe you are correct in that there are another copy in the .odex.. but it would be strange..

Bizdady

Jul 24, 2010
nope with the 7zip method (read up on it) you dont need that.. you just swap .png right in the .apk(s)

it is the stock rom\

and i succesfully did the same thing in the sgs ii systeui (and those icons are in there since i can see them).. however, maybe you are correct in that there are another copy in the .odex.. but it would be strange..

It's more than likely that it's loading files from the odex. Can try deleting that but you might lose status bar lol

lgkahn

Mar 26, 2010
londonderry
It's more than likely that it's loading files from the odex. Can try deleting that but you might lose status bar lol

thanks cannot delete the .odex (systemui or framework etc) on a stock rom.. the phone wont boot. (i think) although i have a cwm backup.

faithfully waiting for the first 1% battery mod for stock one.. (if it combines the .odex into the .apk) for stock then i can put my own icons in on top and then i can delete the .odex

shane6374

Jun 23, 2009
Minneapolis
To the mods, if I ask politely, could this please get stickied? It would nice to keep all the information in one place instead of in a bunch of threads that end up getting burried.

TeamERA

Nov 2, 2011
Everywhere
Hey Shane, I need some help, this image will be the death of me :(

Ive stumbled on this image on the et4g and now I really cant find where the image is, and what the name may be. I always have a problem with the image name/location of the puldown notification background in the image below, its solid black and I need to make it transparent. Ive looked in drawable-xhdpi in systemUI, with no luck. THANKS MAN.

Oh +1 for this to be a sticky since this will help all carriers.

Screenshot_2012-07-04-12-54-49.png

shane6374

Jun 23, 2009
Minneapolis
Hey Shane, I need some help, this image will be the death of me :(

Ive stumbled on this image on the et4g and now I really cant find where the image is, and what the name may be. I always have a problem with the image name/location of the puldown notification background in the image below, its solid black and I need to make it transparent. Ive looked in drawable-xhdpi in systemUI, with no luck. THANKS MAN.

Oh +1 for this to be a sticky since this will help all carriers.
Wow, I had never looked at the files yet on this phone. I've been trying to work on some AOSP themes with my Nexus S. I got the framework-res and twframework-res to decompile, but can't get the systemui to decompile. If you can give me some help on getting the systemui to decompile, I'll look for it.

Edit: Nevermind, got it.

Edit 2: I have not tried this, but taking an "educated guess" I would look at this in the values/drawables.xml:
Code:
<item type="drawable" name="notification_header_bg">#ff000000</item>
If you want to change that to an image can change that to:
Code:
<item type="drawable" name="notification_header_bg">@drawable/pulldown_bg</item>
then make an image named pulldown_bg and put it in the drawable-xhdpi folder.

Or (This is what make's me think this is right)

Look at the drawable/status_bar_expanded.xml and find:
Code:
android:background="@drawable/notification_header_bg"
and change that to:
Code:
android:background="@drawable/pulldown_bg"
making the image as above.

If it's not this then the other possibility I found was "notification_tracking_bg" which the color is called for in the drawables.xml and is linked in the status_bar_tracking.xml

Let me know if either works.

TeamERA

Nov 2, 2011
Everywhere
Wow, I had never looked at the files yet on this phone. I've been trying to work on some AOSP themes with my Nexus S. I got the framework-res and twframework-res to decompile, but can't get the systemui to decompile. If you can give me some help on getting the systemui to decompile, I'll look for it.

Edit: Nevermind, got it.

wow, because I just got a ton of errors, and I just had to download the 64bit version of java sdk, I forgot to do that when I got the new laptop last week. But this is what I just seen :(

errors.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since the carriers were split up and the most posts in the original thread came from the AT&T themers, I think we should make that the main thread.
    Please post in the thread linked above so we can keep all the info in one thread.

Since themeing Samsung's TouchWiz UI is not quite as simple as AOSP, and sometimes even device specific, I thought it would be nice to have thread for the themers here to help each other, post tips and things like that so we can all learn and get some killer themes going on this thing.

Also, (if this gets becomes a sticky) we can keep the themeing question threads to a minimum.

For those of you that don't know me, I've been themeing Android for about a year and a half now. I started on the Epic 4G then moved over to the Nexus S 4G. I'm always willing to help others at time permits.

Happy Themeing!

Since the US carriers were combined into one forum, please note the carrier for you device when posting.

When people are helping you make sure you use the "Thanks" button to show your appreciation!

Here are some goodies that have been posted so far.

Remove Carrier ID from status bar on AT&T rom: Thanks to mrvirginia & deserted1 Here

Guide to remove Carrier ID / Clock from the status bar by deserted1

How to center the clock by Swiftks

Some more status bar mods thanks to freeza

There are many other tips, hints, how to's, and tools in the thread so please search to help keep the thread clean.
    Hmm. The only images I see on the ROM from there are the toggles. I also changed the extended power menu icons at framework-res, but I haven't had any luck finding how to edit the background color of the menus. I've been told it is in res/values/styles.xml but I don't know which line(s) to edit. There are more than 2000 lines in there.

I was told it's the popup dark pngs in framework res drawable xhdpi. :D

Thebe@r'$ G@L@XY
    Thanks, I'll check once more.

Popup dark top, middle, and bottom. There's 3.

Thebe@r'$ G@L@XY
    Can someone explain why I cant decompile any 4.2 systemui's? I am using apk multitool. I can decompile and recompile framework-res all day long but systemui's always error out saying that the file can not be found? Any help would be appreciated.

You probably need to add the latest APKTOOL to your system path. There should be three files you can add there.
    does anyone know what controls the color of the text in the header titles that are blocked off so i can change the hex to transparent.
    I'm thinking SecContacts.apk res/values/colors.xml but not sure which one, if anyone could help out it would be much appreciated,

device20130330004403.png
    In the layout folder, open actionbar_custom_tab.xml

There is a text view line...add

android:visibility="gone"

to that line and you should be good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317