[Kernel] OC to 1100Mhz and linaro gcc 4.7 (New version with fast display mode)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

idoit

Jan 5, 2012
Canada <3 Iran
Overclocking will only affect life of your CPU. Depending how much you overclock above the CPUs correct frequency you will non-linearly decrease its life. e.g. running at 1.1GHz will decrease lifespan and risk failure alot more than running at 900Mhz. Bare in mind the NST or any android device does not spend all time in the max possible frequency. The Governor (of which there are quite a few e.g. ondemand, conservative, performance) decides how quickly and under what circumstance the cpu frequency should change. So you may only run at 1.1Ghz 5% of the time when the NST is busy.

So from a semi-technical point of view, if I may say so, one can conclude that: it's OK to overclock NST at 1.1Ghz.

mabru2001

Nov 9, 2007
Glow working here, you just have to open the glow settings and slide it a bit and it turns on. Annoying that you cant just hold the button but the benefits outweigh the inconvenience, would be nice if it is fixed though.

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
I use v166 on my NSTGL. NoRefresh,fastmode2 and glowlight work on this kernel. There are not many differences between those kernels. If you don't need to use UsbHost, go for 166.
are you sure it works? long press n does not toggle glowlight for me.. tried v166, v174 and latuk version... long press n does not turn on glowlight

wozhere

Sep 29, 2010
Install Instructions:

rename uImage.img to uImage

from Play Store install & use:
adbwireless
or
adb Konnect
or similar app

run it & connect
in Windows where you have uImage file:
hold SHFT key & Right-mouse-click & choose: Open command window here
to type adb commands below:
adb connect 192.168.1.x:5555 (Note: number x is given in adb Konnect or adbwireless) (if not connecting see Troubleshooting below)
adb push uImage /media
adb shell

mkdir /media/boot
mount -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /media/boot
cat /media/uImage > /media/boot/uImage
umount /media/boot
rmdir /media/boot
rm /media/uImage

exit

Troubleshooting Non-Connection:

If problems not connecting:
Get BOTH Airdroid (firstly, up & running AND CONNECTED ) AND then connect ADBwireless (2nd)

useful commands (not needed if both Airdroid & ADBwireless are connected):
adb kill-server
adb start-server

see devices:
adb devices

copy fastmode2.apk to /data/app & install it

use free dual-pane file managers like: Total commander(best), or Ghost commander
afterwards change apk file attributes in /data/app to 644 easily with Total Commander : long press: Properties: icon for rw

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Hi,
Here is kernel with all fiches: FastScreen & MultiTouch & UsbHost & UsbToCom & UsbSound
I tested it in on my rooted NST (without GL) 1.2.1
It works fine.

the module cdc-acm is included to make ttyACM0 for GSP Holux M-1000C

Does anyone know if this works with Glow version?

Last edited:
Reactions: yeahman45

outlogic

May 2, 2008
Tried to remap my keys
key 407 VOLUME_UP
key 412 RIGHT_PREVPAGE
key 139 RIGHT_NEXTPAGE
key 158 VOLUME_DOWN

But now when I hit the right keys I get the volume indicator and can "change" the volume. Other users were able to scroll using these buttons.
Any idea what is causing this? Is it kernel #166?

wozhere

Sep 29, 2010
For the light to work in Glow version:

* install kernel uImage (#166), as said in first post (OP)

* then as osowiecki said in post #197 install fastmode2.apk for FW 1.2.x

then lights will work too.

If you replace your \system\app\PackageInstaller.apk with the NookManager version uploaded in xda (unzip NookManager.img then it's in \files\system\app\PackageInstaller.apk), you can install/sideload apk files like fastmode2.apk from the SD Card too.

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
For the light to work in Glow version:

* install kernel uImage (#166), as said in first post (OP)

* then as osowiecki said in post #197 install fastmode2.apk for FW 1.2.x

then lights will work too.

If you replace your \system\app\PackageInstaller.apk with the NookManager version uploaded in xda (unzip NookManager.img then it's in \files\system\app\PackageInstaller.apk), you can install/sideload apk files like fastmode2.apk from the SD Card too.
long press n button does not seem to work.. i have to slide the brightness for the light to work but once it's on i cannot turn it off.

wozhere

Sep 29, 2010
long press n button does not seem to work.. i have to slide the brightness for the light to work but once it's on i cannot turn it off.

Not sure but I think first time round it didn't work for me couple of days ago (only bought this before weekend), maybe delete dalvik & other caches (try search for cleaner apps if you're not keen on CWM). Anyway works perfect for me, as well as those mentioned above I got these installed too:

glownooter-1-12-25.zip & beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END.zip
FW nook_1_2_1 update
NoRefreshToggle-debug2.apk
multitouchNSTG
NoRefreshToggle.apk
Nook Clean Screen

:confused:

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
so now it's working fine with long press n? no need to change the brightness for it to light?

wozhere

Sep 29, 2010
so now it's working fine with long press n? no need to change the brightness for it to light?

exactly, I think it was about 3 days ago when I upgraded firmware to 1.2.1, had to change levels to enable light, then I flashed something and it never happened again!

Funny thing is in the last 2 days due to messing about big time, I crashed the system 3 times and had to reformat device: power off / on & hold both down buttons and/or the n2T-Recovery_0.1.img/n2T-Recovery_0.2.img, sometimes it would not reformat and would stay in limbo (unable to register device) for hourssss!. I got Titanium backup & 2 nandroid version backups now & system is stable. However during those 3 system reformats from ground up, that (your) bug never happened again and light was always working before/during/after flashing 1.2.1/uimage/etc., weird but true!! :eek: So your bug won't last forever, I guess.

Last edited:

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
exactly, I think it was about 3 days ago when I upgraded firmware to 1.2.1, had to change levels to enable light, then I flashed something and it never happened again!

Funny thing is in the last 2 days due to messing about big time, I crashed the system 3 times and had to reformat device: power off / on & hold both down buttons and/or the n2T-Recovery_0.1.img/n2T-Recovery_0.2.img, sometimes it would not reformat and would stay in limbo (unable to register device) for hourssss!. I got Titanium backup & 2 nandroid version backups now & system is stable. However during those 3 system reformats from ground up, that (your) bug never happened again and light was always working before/during/after flashing 1.2.1/uimage/etc., weird but true!! :eek: So your bug won't last forever, I guess.
Thats weird still no good for me. Did u root and then update ur nook? For me, i updated first then i rooted it.

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
can you post url to the multitouch patch? I installed the patches to enable toolbar buttons remapping, you think that might cause conflicts and making glowlight not working properly?

wozhere

Sep 29, 2010
can you post url to the multitouch patch? I installed the patches to enable toolbar buttons remapping, you think that might cause conflicts and making glowlight not working properly?

I do not think it is the multitouch thing but you can flash as won't take long. I got it from xda threads, and just uploaded it for you in link below. Flash with CWM.

I think your bug is best fixed by a reformat. install titanium free from market (top paid apps, then inside PRO version: more by developer, install free one), backup your apps & sys data and restore after reformat.

There are 2 other files in the zip file below also from xda threads, for reformatting, instructions inside & on screen when booting. THIRD way to reformat: power on, hold both button downs on the sides, at menu press power (instructions on screen). When reformatting sometimes gets stuck after connecting to internet and gives error message. This might last for hours but don't worry, it will eventually reformat, well known problem.

Reformat by all 3 ways if necessary, check glow light by n button. Upgrade to 1.2.1, check again. Install uimage for uimage #166, check again. I think a proper reformat will fix it, not later stages.

http://www13.zippyshare.com/v/96658870/file.html

Last edited:

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
Not sure but I think first time round it didn't work for me couple of days ago (only bought this before weekend), maybe delete dalvik & other caches (try search for cleaner apps if you're not keen on CWM). Anyway works perfect for me, as well as those mentioned above I got these installed too:

glownooter-1-12-25.zip & beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END.zip
FW nook_1_2_1 update
NoRefreshToggle-debug2.apk
multitouchNSTG
NoRefreshToggle.apk
Nook Clean Screen

:confused:
thx i will try reformatting.. what is nook clean screen?

edit: just did a factory reset... and my glowlight isn't working!!! it has the bug although i have factory reset it!! how do i restore the original uimage??

edi2: cool ... i just broke my sd card slot.. my sd card is now stuck now working and i cannot get it out... my nook is for trashbin now... it is frustrating device with poor touch screen and now sd card slot is broken

edit3: i managed to get my sd card out but my slot is not working anymore.. i does not detect my sdcard anymore.. can i root without sd card??

Last edited:

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010

wozhere

Sep 29, 2010
nopes the sd card slot itself is not working... tried several sd cards :(

might be fixed if opened. if still under warranty, don't open it. failing all, sell it on ebay, get another used one cheap.

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

nopes the sd card slot itself is not working... tried several sd cards :(

In NookHWTest, toggle Enable SD card a few times and run the test if it is installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because I suffer some problems in the vision, I bought a Nook Simple Touch to perform some of the functions performed with my asus transformer but with an electronic ink display. I must say I'm quite satisfied with its functionalty, but despite having to severely limit my hours in front of screens, I could not resist to modify the kernel.

The kernel adds frequencies of 1GHz and 1.1GHz, besides being modified to compile using gcc 4.7 from Linaro. I've also changed some compilation options.
    The kernel includes the modifications for multitouch.

Attached the patch for the original source code 1.1 and my build.
    Don't forget to rename the uImage.img to uImage (renamed it to allow the uploading)

Since version 2, the kernel support the normal and glow versions.

REMOVED temporarily
    New version of FastMode.apk written by me.
    Works on FW 1.2.x.
    No one else wanted to do this, so I have learned something new and created my first android apk.
    You can thank me later.
    New version with a new fast display mode

I've been testing the epaper's driver, both to see how it work and to testing if I could get something new.

I added a parameter (/ sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode) that can enable a new fast mode.

By default starts at 0, so it works very much as always (although I modified some behavior, I have to do more tests), and if we put it to 1 enables a new faster mode.

To not extend much (and avoid being too much in front of the computer screen), I recorded a video showing the new mode, and also put a couple of images to compare the normal mode with the new one.

I have also created a small program that will allow us to switch between the two modes (I use the Reading now button for it)

Hope you are interested.

I compiled the latest version with usbhost patch and I've put a ramdisk that I think should work with all versions (glow and no glow).
    Also upload the file to install the normal kernel with the same modified ramdisk (the previous failed on glow version).
    Now I'm very short for time and I have not been able to test, but I prefer to upload it, and in case anyone is encouraged to try, please, confirm proper operation so others can use it.

If only need the kernel, you can get it from the boot folder on the zip.
    New version

Apart from some arrangements, I added smartassV2 as new governor, sio as the new io scheduler and veno as tcp congestion control.
    I hope the first thing improves system response, the second improved access to the flash and the third improve somewhat the wifi.
    Anyway, the best way to check is to try and comment the results because not everyone uses it the same way.

As always put the kernel file, uImage.img, to be renamed uImage before installing and a zip file to install all from cwm recovery, this time including a uRamdisk modified to use smartassV2 since boot.