[APP] Writepad: handwriting optimized for stylus

Search This thread

transceiver

Apr 1, 2011
UPDATE: September 17
New feature:
* Flip view. Are you accidentally hitting the android system menu all the time? I am. Now you can flip the tablet over!

Probably the last update before I release 2.0. Woot!

UPDATE: September 16
New feature:
* Custom pen color / size / transparency.
* Pretty icons!

UPDATE: September 12

Writepad 2 beta is out. Download below!

New features:
* Bigger eraser size. You can change size of eraser using the "style" menu.
* Lasso erase. Draw a closed path to erase everything inside it.
* Typing mode. Click the T icon to start typing. Click again to go back to writing mode. If you have a physical keyboard you can keep typing while in writing mode. (Note: the text will not export to PDF or any other format yet. still working on it.)
* Import images from SD card. You can resize the image by dragging on the lower left corner.
* Import from web. Use the mini browser to go to the site you want, then hit OK to import it to your page. Then you can draw on it. (The zooming is weird right now)
* Auto-scroll button. Located above the zoom button - this will automatically scroll from left to right, and then to the next line. Useful for those who like to write while zoomed in. You can hold down the button and reposition it to wherever you like.

A few more features coming. I'll polish up the icons too - they're ugly right now.

The beta version will install as a separate app called "Writepad 2 beta". Please email me if you find bugs!

I just got this stylus http://www.amazon.com/Newest-Genera...rranty/dp/B004HO86P6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
and it is the best stylus I've used. Much smoother, smaller tip = better handwriting!

UPDATE: August 17

Been working hard to get this released. I had no idea that there'll be so much response on here, so I will start going through your comments tomorrow. For now: I've updated the release APK below. It has all the features of the one on the market, but will stop working on October 1st. The market version is here for $0.99 https://market.android.com/details?id=com.writepad

Thank you for your interest!! It means a lot to a first time developer :)

-----------------------

I'll be using this app myself to take math notes when school starts, so I'm trying to get some nice features in there. I want this app to be as close to writing on real paper as possible. Let me know what you think!

I made this on the Asus Transformer (Android 3.2) and am interested in how it works on other tablets. Nitpick away; I'll try to fix any bugs before I put it up on the Market. The market version will have support for multiple notebooks.

Features:

Smooth writing experience: no lag and no jitter between the stylus movement and the screen response.

Smart palm detection. Only records the writing from your stylus! (note: only works for right handed people now. will add the setting for left-handers later)

Export page and notebook: share the page as PNG file, or export the whole thing as a ZIP file to your dropbox or gmail.

Paper type: comes with four familiar paper types.

Stylus calibration: Instead of drawing where the stylus touches the screen, it will draw where you *think* the stylus tip is. Good for those thicker tip styluses.

I use a Griffin stylus: http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-Stylus-iPhone-touchscreens/dp/B0041D0K1Q/ref=pd_cp_e_2, modded with the rubber grip from a Pentel pencil: http://www.amazon.com/Pentel-Twist-Erase-Automatic-Pencil-Blue/dp/B00006IEH1

Last edited:

Underwater Mike

May 6, 2006
Just tried this, and it's very cool! Do you know of any recognition-type software that you could feed the resulting images into for editable text?

timrock

Dec 10, 2010
Nice app. Works great on the xoom. Just ordered that stylus. Thanks

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Underwater Mike

May 6, 2006
I'm using the Targus stylus. I think they're all identical -- made by Boxwave, maybe -- but the Targus version was a couple bucks cheaper.

MRFERRARI23

Jul 19, 2007
NYC AkA GOTHAM!
Yeah your definitely going to have to make it for left handed people as well because I'm lefty!! ;)
Definitely a great idea and I might look into buying a stylus to.
Looking forward to new features being added!!

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

Dilinkuint

Sep 15, 2010
Well I just use the app and there's allot if lag... I'm using a ajl stylus on the xoom wifi .. 3.2

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

HasC

Mar 2, 2006
what's up with the eraser? Just Greys everything out for me.

You mark off what you want to erase with the grey and then you select pen again and magically the grey disappeares.

To the Op, this app has the potential to be the best handwriting note taking app, I have tried them all and requested the palm rest feature from the other developers who were not able to implement the feature to date, this one works really well.

Below is my wish list for future enhancements:

Pinch to zoom, so that we can write inside shapes we have drawn without difficulty.

Unlimited undo

Ability to fill with colour any objects drawn on the screen e.g. bar or pie charts.

The zoom bar so that what you write is transferred to the lines in proportion to the other letters as an option where needed. I have noticed that when I get to the bottom corner with my palm or wrist, the settings pop up which is quite annoying.

Importing of images from gallery for annotation

Export to pdf's

smoother handwriting panel, I have been spoiled with the bamboo paper app on ipad which is extremely smooth.

I would love to be a beta tester and try out new features, count me in!

Last edited:

HasC

Mar 2, 2006
Just for your info, an app with the name write pad already exists so you may need to rename your app before putting it on the market.

hchxoom

Apr 27, 2011
getting errors, can't install... rooted 3g zoom HC 3.2... tiamat hammerhead rom

Last edited:

navossoc

Jul 1, 2011
São Paulo
It's crashes if you try to open it on landscape mode.

I got a little bit of lag when writing, so some letters are "skipped".

And this (Smart palm detection) seems not working right... :'(

If you wanna more information, send me a PM, I can help you to debug that.

Using a Xoom 3.0 with a Kensington stylus.

[]'s

Last edited:

timrock

Dec 10, 2010
Needs a backup\restore option.

Also, I wrote something on a page and tried to go the next page and got a file error message. It did go to the next page though. And how do you delete a page? I'm going to be taking a class soon and would like to use this for taking notes.

This app also needs a categories function.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shmigao

Sep 3, 2009
Landscape mode would be great. With a xoom case that tilts / holds the tab only landscape really is feasible
The eraser function is good, but a thicker eraser stroke would make it easier to erase specific lines

Last edited:

AirWar

Aug 3, 2007
Looks really good

As already commented I find that there is a bit of lag, but definitely the best app for handwriting I have found so far.

I wonder if the lag may have anything to do with other apps running such as push email synchronisation???

Keep up the good work, you could be on to a winner and the best equivelant to Penultimate.

Caboz28

Aug 5, 2010
Like the automatic palm rest.

Like the way the eraser works, but would be nice to be able to increase the "eraser head" size to be able to erase a full line at a time.

I do get some lag though, which can be inconvenient, but not a deal breaker.

Thanks for all the good work! This is already one of the better hand writing apps and shows potential to be the best.

shmigao

Sep 3, 2009
Would be great if it could take a little of the TabPad concept, which works in landscape / is made for honeycomb, has good drawing function and a great eraser. Faster too.... but can only share with facebook
MakeNotes (beta) could give some inspiration too with its auto shapes function.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2011
KCMO
Tried it with my Transformer and the palm feature didn't work. I actually ended up with input locations in a couple of spots where my hand was resting. Not sure if it was related, but the stylus input sometimes didn't register. Also, not sure about the calibration set-up. Should it show some indication that my tracing is registering? I get no indication which ends up throwing off the whole calibration.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: September 17
    New feature:
    * Flip view. Are you accidentally hitting the android system menu all the time? I am. Now you can flip the tablet over!

Probably the last update before I release 2.0. Woot!

UPDATE: September 16
    New feature:
    * Custom pen color / size / transparency.
    * Pretty icons!

UPDATE: September 12

Writepad 2 beta is out. Download below!

New features:
    * Bigger eraser size. You can change size of eraser using the "style" menu.
    * Lasso erase. Draw a closed path to erase everything inside it.
    * Typing mode. Click the T icon to start typing. Click again to go back to writing mode. If you have a physical keyboard you can keep typing while in writing mode. (Note: the text will not export to PDF or any other format yet. still working on it.)
    * Import images from SD card. You can resize the image by dragging on the lower left corner.
    * Import from web. Use the mini browser to go to the site you want, then hit OK to import it to your page. Then you can draw on it. (The zooming is weird right now)
    * Auto-scroll button. Located above the zoom button - this will automatically scroll from left to right, and then to the next line. Useful for those who like to write while zoomed in. You can hold down the button and reposition it to wherever you like.

A few more features coming. I'll polish up the icons too - they're ugly right now.

The beta version will install as a separate app called "Writepad 2 beta". Please email me if you find bugs!

I just got this stylus http://www.amazon.com/Newest-Genera...rranty/dp/B004HO86P6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
    and it is the best stylus I've used. Much smoother, smaller tip = better handwriting!

UPDATE: August 17

Been working hard to get this released. I had no idea that there'll be so much response on here, so I will start going through your comments tomorrow. For now: I've updated the release APK below. It has all the features of the one on the market, but will stop working on October 1st. The market version is here for $0.99 https://market.android.com/details?id=com.writepad

Thank you for your interest!! It means a lot to a first time developer :)

-----------------------

I'll be using this app myself to take math notes when school starts, so I'm trying to get some nice features in there. I want this app to be as close to writing on real paper as possible. Let me know what you think!

I made this on the Asus Transformer (Android 3.2) and am interested in how it works on other tablets. Nitpick away; I'll try to fix any bugs before I put it up on the Market. The market version will have support for multiple notebooks.

Features:

Smooth writing experience: no lag and no jitter between the stylus movement and the screen response.

Smart palm detection. Only records the writing from your stylus! (note: only works for right handed people now. will add the setting for left-handers later)

Export page and notebook: share the page as PNG file, or export the whole thing as a ZIP file to your dropbox or gmail.

Paper type: comes with four familiar paper types.

Stylus calibration: Instead of drawing where the stylus touches the screen, it will draw where you *think* the stylus tip is. Good for those thicker tip styluses.

I use a Griffin stylus: http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-Stylus-iPhone-touchscreens/dp/B0041D0K1Q/ref=pd_cp_e_2, modded with the rubber grip from a Pentel pencil: http://www.amazon.com/Pentel-Twist-Erase-Automatic-Pencil-Blue/dp/B00006IEH1
    Hey guys, OP here. I've updated the APK to the latest (release version) and the app is now on the market! Will go through your comments later :)
    On the Galaxy Tab 10.1, as soon as I rest my palm on the screen, I can't write at all.

Developer here:

This is a known issue with the Galaxy Tab. I have no idea why this happens. There might be some hardware differences between the Galaxy Tab screen and the Asus / Xoom screen. Or maybe some custom software on the Galaxy Tab?

If anyone around Seattle want to let me do some hands-on test on their Galaxy Tab I'd be very grateful :)
    Tested on Asus Transformet HC 3.2

Works fine. Fast drawing - no lags. But i want to see in future:
    - Landscape mode
    - Text input by keyboard - wold be nice... for example.. in school when i'm writting math definition (by keyboard) and some calculations draw by hand... would be nice to see this 2 input methods in your app.
    - Save notes to PDF
    - Add photos to notes.
    OneNote features

Onenote has a very good way to organize your notes.

First level you have the notebooks. ( I have Personal, School, etc.)

Second level you have the folders. (Each class in the case of school)

Third level you have the different tabs (Different chapters in your book)

Also they have done a really good job of integrating the handwritten notes with the typed notes. You can write a bunch of notes and when you need to draw a diagram or write an equation it will make that a image file that you can move around. I would be happy to work with you to get this working well. I will attack a picture of my onenote with a bunch of my tabs and folders.

Other features that I would like.
    Like Freenote: It would be nice to have an area that you could write larger that would shrink down once you pause. This would really help to make it so you could fit a lot more notes on one page. There is also a !p@d app that has alot of really good features. Take a look at this video. www dot youtube dot com/watch?v=jUGG08eGRfg

I would like to be a beta tester as well.
    Jake