Time Warner Cable app for ICS (Fixed for Rooted Users)

Search This thread

droidxrooting

Jan 23, 2011
TWC just released the app that will allow you to stream the live TV shows from your phone. I got really excited to watch Game of Thrones.

But when I try to launch the app. It says it does not run on rooted device. WTF?

What is the difference between rooted or unrooted device when it comes to TWC app?

I tried to unroot with root keeper to run the app with no luck.

Any suggestions or workaround to get it working?

Update: Thanks to b00sted now rooted users can benefit from Time Warner App

Here is the link to fix : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24975697

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

Frohoss

Feb 19, 2011
Same issue here. Rooted Hp touchpad running 4.0.4. When you launch TWC app and choose Live TV it will state "TWC tv is not supported on rooted devices" :mad:

MarkGbe

Nov 30, 2010
Buffalo, NY
confirmed here on Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Hope someone fixes this. You also have to have USB Debugging disabled, AND be on your home network (which means Road runner is also a requirement).

EDIT...

Turns out the TWC app only checks for the presence of /system/app/superuser.apk. A quick rename of superuser.apk and it works fine. A simple script can be written for this to toggle it.

Last edited:
Reactions: st1ngr4y

MarkGbe

Nov 30, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I had this same issue with my jailbroken IPAD2. However a fix was created called "FakeTimeWarner" that you can install via cydia. Hopefully someone can create the same fix for android devices?

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

I've edited and it still doesn't seem to work...

i haven't actually been able to test watching TV since im at work but when i renamed Superuser.apk i stopped getting the "TWC tv is not supported on rooted devices" message. ill try when i get home in a bit and reports back.

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

I had this same issue with my jailbroken IPAD2. However a fix was created called "FakeTimeWarner" that you can install via cydia. Hopefully someone can create the same fix for android devices?

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

I've edited and it still doesn't seem to work...

EDIT -

Killed app and still didn't work...

Rebooted. and now WORKS. Thanks a lot

Ah ok, cool.

If you use the app 'GScript' which is in the market, you can write a script and add a widget to your homescreen to execute the rename and to reverse it. Makes it real easy to go ba ck and forth.

Tomdg07

Aug 16, 2011
Ohio
sweet!!! Working on my rooted att note, anyone have any workarounds that will allow me to view when not connected to home wifi network?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: jami.francis

b00sted

Dec 24, 2009
Mount Morris NY
just found this post as well, was looking for this over on the nexus forums.. I have the decompiled apk if someone can tell me what to nix I can recompile and give it a try for us.. Here is the decompiled apk. u will see in the smali files it talks about if root and if adb is enabled.. I just dont know what to really nix out of there withough completely breaking it.. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22063477/com.TWCableTV-1.zip

B

bhhurdler1

Anyone else seeing ever so slight lag? Kinda like a jitter.. I'm wondering if this is due to rom/kernal or if it's just cause it's the first version.

jeffrash

Mar 14, 2011
www.jeffrash.com
Does this help?

:~/Downloads/com.TWCableTV-1$ grep -H -r "Superuser" ~Downloads/com.TWCableTV-1
~/Downloads/com.TWCableTV-1/smali/com/TWCableTV/androidphone/a/a.smali: const-string v1, "/system/app/Superuser.apk"

Reactions: st1ngr4y

droidxrooting

Jan 23, 2011
Thank you everyone for clarification. Some Driod-life members reported that clearing cache helps too. I have not tried it myself yet but it is worth a shot.

Quote from D-L: We have seen a user submitted tip that if you wipe the application’s data in your app settings menu, that could clear up the issue. It’s worth a shot, so give it a try if you have been having this trouble and let us know if it works or not.

b00sted

Dec 24, 2009
Mount Morris NY
:~/Downloads/com.TWCableTV-1$ grep -H -r "Superuser" ~Downloads/com.TWCableTV-1
~/Downloads/com.TWCableTV-1/smali/com/TWCableTV/androidphone/a/a.smali: const-string v1, "/system/app/Superuser.apk"

ya.. since it jsut looks for the superuser app I can rename that to FU.apk and be fine lol testing ;P

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

ya.. since it jsut looks for the superuser app I can rename that to FU.apk and be fine lol testing ;P

still something else being detected..

Reactions: Mindrocket

GinoAMelone

Jun 6, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I wonder if they've patched this already. I just tried, and it didn't work. Rebooted. Confirmed renamed APK. Cleared data in manage-apps. Still no go.

The only ICS devices I have are third-party (and rooted) ROMs.

b00sted

Dec 24, 2009
Mount Morris NY
renamed com.TWCableTV-1/smali/com/TWCableTV/androidphone/a/a.smali: const-string v1, "/system/app/Superuser.apk" to ****TimeWarner.apk and then renamed C:\Android\apktool\com.TWCableTV-1\smali\com\TWCableTV\androidphone\Login\Activities\SplashScreenActivity.smali an TWCHomeActivity.smali had root set to true so change the true to false and no luck.. I am shooting blind here so any help would be great :)

B

bhhurdler1

I wonder if they've patched this already. I just tried, and it didn't work. Rebooted. Confirmed renamed APK. Cleared data in manage-apps. Still no go.

The only ICS devices I have are third-party (and rooted) ROMs.

I'm gonna assume it needs ICS on a compatible device... just an assumption..

Mine continue's to work changing the name of the superuser.apk

droidxrooting

Jan 23, 2011
Really quick question. After the changing superuser.apk name did it effect any rooted functionalities?

And please update me with the solid work around so I can post it in OP.

Thank you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TWC just released the app that will allow you to stream the live TV shows from your phone. I got really excited to watch Game of Thrones.

But when I try to launch the app. It says it does not run on rooted device. WTF?

What is the difference between rooted or unrooted device when it comes to TWC app?

I tried to unroot with root keeper to run the app with no luck.

Any suggestions or workaround to get it working?

Update: Thanks to b00sted now rooted users can benefit from Time Warner App

Here is the link to fix : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24975697

Time Warner? Really?
    Cool glad we figured out what the main issue was. Now to see how to get it to allow watching live TV on mobile, or even another wifi network that isn't home network.

I see it in the coding, but not sure at all what you should comment out to make it bypass that :(

just keep tossing stuff at me to try. I am more than happy to hack away at it :)
    i dont think it will work even if we delete the if statement

last ditch attempt,

make sure ur super user apk is named "Superuser.apk" in both the .smali and your phone

in \com.TWCableTV-1\smali\com\TWCableTV\androidphone\a\a.smali

change line 104 to const/4 v0, 0x1
    change line 95 to const/4 v0, 0x0

i noticed that this block of code looks like a try and catch block and maybe a simple 1 true and 0 false will work.

/4 means 4 bits

When you press the live tv button a method is called to check if your systemfile has superuser.apk, the method has to return a value. The way i see it is that it returns either a 1 or 0. 1 means that your rooted, exits the app and 0 means your not lets you watch live tv

the way i set it up ,instead of it returning true(0x1) it will return false(0x0) and if its false it will return true.......so this means if you have Superuser.apk you can watch tv and if you don't then you can't.
    I can confirm this on Epic 4g touch (rooted)