FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[CM] Building for expressltexx (GT-I8730)

939 posts
Thanks Meter: 656

By aureljared, Senior Member on 2nd November 2013, 10:20 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th November 2013, 03:57 PM |#11  
Flag Sevilla
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Check that repo is in the bin folder in your user main folder.
Check that repo is executable
chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

Enviado desde mi GT-I9000 mediante Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jjchico For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jjchico Ad-Free

12th November 2013, 10:17 AM |#12  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 94

More
"6. Building CM (yay!)"

"In order to make a working build, you have to get the proprietary files (mainly device build files and drivers) for the device."

so how do I get the propriety files and where do I put them? ADB from your phone?

After this you direct us to prebuilt apps so it appears there is a step missing unless I am pulling proprietary files down from KINGbabasula's Github

Bazzan
13th November 2013, 12:15 PM |#13  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzan

"6. Building CM (yay!)"

"In order to make a working build, you have to get the proprietary files (mainly device build files and drivers) for the device."

so how do I get the propriety files and where do I put them? ADB from your phone?

After this you direct us to prebuilt apps so it appears there is a step missing unless I am pulling proprietary files down from KINGbabasula's Github

Bazzan

Yeah, the files are located somewhere in KINGbabasula's github. If you want to use ADB then refer to the text file located in android_device_samsung_expresslte.

Or if you want to download the files themselves, do this in a terminal:
Code:
mkdir proprietary
cd proprietary
git clone https://github.com/KINGbabasula/proprietary_vendor_samsung.git
The files will be located in proprietary/proprietary_vendor_samsung/expresslte.

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk
26th November 2013, 12:00 PM |#14  
Flag Sydney

More
Finally got build going. Thanks for the tutorial @aureljared. You were not kidding when you said takes a while. Not too sure where to from here. Welcome suggestions if anyone wants me to try anything
Bazzan
7th December 2013, 06:08 AM |#15  
OP Senior Member

More
URGENT

Before proceeding to build any more ROMs, let me ask some questions.
Quote:

• What toolchain for building the kernel are you using? Toolchains that might work are arm-eabi-4.4.3 upwards or linaro 4.4.3 upwards.
  • What is your configuration for the kernel? It is written to a file called ".config" insinde the kernel source.
  • Have you applied any kind of patch to the code before compiling? If so, what?

Thank you for your time. Your answers to the above questions will be highly appreciated and will be of utmost importance. There is also a good chance that we might build a proper kernel with your reports!

The Following User Says Thank You to aureljared For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aureljared Ad-Free
9th December 2013, 02:13 AM |#16  
Flag Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aureljared

URGENT

Before proceeding to build any more ROMs, let me ask some questions.

• What toolchain for building the kernel are you using? Toolchains that might work are arm-eabi-4.4.3 upwards or linaro 4.4.3 upwards.
  • What is your configuration for the kernel? It is written to a file called ".config" insinde the kernel source.
  • Have you applied any kind of patch to the code before compiling? If so, what?

Thank you for your time. Your answers to the above questions will be highly appreciated and will be of utmost importance. There is also a good chance that we might build a proper kernel with your reports!

No toolchain experience at all. Just substituted kernels from elsewhere. Maybe if you are leaning toward Linaro, I should find myself a tutorial for arm-eabi-4.4.3 upwards and give that a go. then we can cover more ground.
Bazzan
The Following User Says Thank You to bazzan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bazzan Ad-Free
9th December 2013, 11:20 PM |#17  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

No toolchain experience at all. Just substituted kernels from elsewhere. Maybe if you are leaning toward Linaro, I should find myself a tutorial for arm-eabi-4.4.3 upwards and give that a go. then we can cover more ground.
Bazzan

Sure.
I'm not saying that I'm relying on Linaro now, it's just that Linaro is a toolchain developed by a consortium of technology companies including Samsung that aims to build Linux kernels that perform extremely well on mobile devices.
CM 10.2 uses Linaro 12.09, I think.

I tried building with Linaro a couple of days ago but make threw me some errors, the most confusing being something like this
Code:
make [cypress_touchkeys.o] *** Error 2
I don't even know what Cypress is.

The Following User Says Thank You to aureljared For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aureljared Ad-Free
11th December 2013, 10:27 AM |#18  
Flag Sydney

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aureljared

Sure.
I'm not saying that I'm relying on Linaro now, it's just that Linaro is a toolchain developed by a consortium of technology companies including Samsung that aims to build Linux kernels that perform extremely well on mobile devices.
CM 10.2 uses Linaro 12.09, I think.

I tried building with Linaro a couple of days ago but make threw me some errors, the most confusing being something like this

Code:
make [cypress_touchkeys.o] *** Error 2
I don't even know what Cypress is.

Cannot help with Cypress. Some time ago I downloaded a file called GT-I8730_JB_Opensource.zip - not sure where I found it.

It appears to be what is says it is. Within it is a text file called README_Kernel.txt
It has the following
################################################## ##############################

1. How to Build
- get Toolchain
From android git server , codesourcery and etc ..
- arm-eabi-4.4.3

- edit Makefile
edit "CROSS_COMPILE" to right toolchain path(You downloaded).
EX) export CROSS_COMPILE= $(android platform directory you download)/android/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/bin/arm-eabi-
Ex) export CROSS_COMPILE=/usr/local/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/bin/arm-eabi- // check the location of toolchain

$ export ARCH=arm
$ make msm8930_express_defconfig
$ make

2. Output files
- Kernel : arch/arm/boot/zImage
- module : drivers/*/*.ko

3. How to Clean
$ make clean
################################################## ##############################

Way out of my depth but will try sometime next week to give it a go with arm-eabi-4.4.3. Major interview Monday so nothing before then.
Bazzan
The Following User Says Thank You to bazzan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bazzan Ad-Free
11th December 2013, 01:51 PM |#19  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

Cannot help with Cypress. Some time ago I downloaded a file called GT-I8730_JB_Opensource.zip - not sure where I found it.

It appears to be what is says it is. Within it is a text file called README_Kernel.txt
It has the following

1. How to Build
- get Toolchain
From android git server , codesourcery and etc ..
- arm-eabi-4.4.3

- edit Makefile
edit "CROSS_COMPILE" to right toolchain path(You downloaded).
EX) export CROSS_COMPILE= $(android platform directory you download)/android/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/bin/arm-eabi-
Ex) export CROSS_COMPILE=/usr/local/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/bin/arm-eabi- // check the location of toolchain

$ export ARCH=arm
$ make msm8930_express_defconfig
$ make

2. Output files
- Kernel : arch/arm/boot/zImage
- module : drivers/*/*.ko

3. How to Clean
$ make clean

Way out of my depth but will try sometime next week to give it a go with arm-eabi-4.4.3. Major interview Monday so nothing before then.
Bazzan

That's from Samsung. It contains the kernel source as you already have seen

It's stock 3.4.0 so I don't know if it will work with CM

15th December 2013, 01:41 PM |#20  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote from jt1134:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1134

I use the d2 family kernel source.

For stock ROMs and CM10, you can use the source and ramdisk provided by samsung.

For CM10.1 or higher, you'll have to get your hands very dirty. IMO the easiest route would be to port the missing drivers from stock samsung source to the msm8930-common kernel, and modifying it to work with them. This is how I did it for the I437 : http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/47947/ . You may then use the serrano device trees as a template once the kernel is ready.

Updated first post with this info.

18th December 2013, 02:58 PM |#21  
Flag Sevilla
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Move to CM 11.0?
I feel that porting CM to the i8730 will take some time. In my case, building the ROM an configuring the device parameters is one thing but porting drivers is quite out of my skills.

Now that CM 11.0 already works in some devices, wouldn't it be more useful to do the porting effort directly on the 11.0 branch?

Also there is some news on the net about a possible Android 4.4 from Samsung for the i8730 in the future that would be a nice source of resources.

Best.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
build, cm-10.2, express, expresslte, gt-i8730, i8730

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)