[Q] EVO 4G won't boot, stuck at HTC EVO 4G screen

Search This thread

zerozr1

Aug 8, 2010
Hi, hoping someone can help me. My phone seems to have bricked itself. A few weeks ago i had CM6 on my phone then i reverted back to the stock rom from HTC. The phone worked fine for a few weeks then about a week ago i started having random data connection issues, yesterday the phone started resetting by itself, after the third or fourth reset the phone stopped booting at all. all i get now is the white HTC EVO 4G screen or the bootloader when i hold the volume down button.

Here are the version numbers on the bootloader screen.
SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-2.02.0000
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.09.01
Oct 14 2010, 19:14:47

i can only get windows to recognize the phone through usb by using the HBOOT USB option and installing the android bootloader interface driver. I don't really know how to use ADB and i'm not even sure if it is seeing the phone. All i want to do it get this back to official firmware.

any and all help is appreciated
thanks.

rugedraw

Jun 25, 2010
Miami, FL
Well, it's not bricked if you get into that menu. Can you get into your recovery? If so, try wiping everything and reflashing the rom.

zerozr1

Aug 8, 2010
No i can't get into recovery, i even tried reapplying clockwork recovery trough there and all it does is install it, say it's installed ok then i reboot and try to go to recovery mode and it just goes to the white HTC EVO 4G screen

zerozr1

Aug 8, 2010
i'm not sure if it even is rooted anymore because i had put the official firmware back on, when i had CM6 installed i used clockwork recovery and unrevoked

caguirr4

Oct 7, 2010
Katy, TX
well if you were able to install a custom rom like cm6 then you are more then likely rooted. you say that you cant get into recovery? you should just try running the ruu.exe and returning to complete stock and then reroot if you want.

zerozr1

Aug 8, 2010
the official RUU.exe doesn't see the phone. when i connect hboot in the bootloader, device manager see's the phone as android bootloader interface and it i let the boot normally and let it crash at the evo 4g screen it show's up as "Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM" and doesn't have a driver. I am running Windows 7 x64

caguirr4

Oct 7, 2010
Katy, TX
maybe you should try slashing the stock pc36img.zip maybe that will get you back on track.

Edit: this is the link to the thread with the stock pc36img.zip
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=791019

and just for future reference. it is not that hard to do a search of the information that is needed. while i was here posting these things i found with the search all the info i hae given. just food for thought.

Last edited:

rugedraw

Jun 25, 2010
Miami, FL
What caguirr4 said. With that file (or since you have s-off you can TRY getting a rom zip and renaming it to pc36img.zip) your phone will read it automatically when you boot using the volume down technique. That should at least get your phone to boot up and you can continue trouble shooting from there if you have more problems.

Remember: Conserve your battery! You don't want the juice to run out while the phone is in the middle of flashing something. THAT is how bricks are made.

zerozr1

Aug 8, 2010
i ran the update you gave me, the phone said that all the stages of the update were sucessful and asked me to reboot, i did so and now my phone won't power on and when i plug it into the wall it won't show any charging lights.

rugedraw

Jun 25, 2010
Miami, FL
i ran the update you gave me, the phone said that all the stages of the update were sucessful and asked me to reboot, i did so and now my phone won't power on and when i plug it into the wall it won't show any charging lights.

You ran the updates that who gave you? Various things were suggested on this thread.

zerozr1

Aug 8, 2010
sorry for not clarifying,i ran the original stock image that was linked to me by caguirr4 in post #9. According to the update it ran fine but after that the phone died when it had me reboot.

rugedraw

Jun 25, 2010
Miami, FL
sorry for not clarifying,i ran the original stock image that was linked to me by caguirr4 in post #9. According to the update it ran fine but after that the phone died when it had me reboot.

Ok, so you press the power button, and it does nothing? That doesn't sound good at all. Hopefully, your battery is just dead and the drivers for the USB port didn't install right. In which case, you need this:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=695243

Do you have any extra batteries you can try to make sure that battery isn't just dead?

zerozr1

Aug 8, 2010
I ended up taking it to a sprint service center, they tested the phone with thier own battery and the phone was dead. they are replacing the phone for me now. thanks you everyone for trying to help.

embmicro

Jun 15, 2010
I am having the exact same problem. I can get to the bootloader but not recovery. Here's my specs

SUPERSONIC EVT2-2 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.79.0000
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.07.21

I had cyanogen 6.1.1 installed on it and it was was working fine. I just felt the thing vibrate and took it out of my pocket to see the "htc EVO 4G" screen and it just keeps rebooting unless I hold the volume button to get into the bootloader.

I REALLY don't want the stock firmware back on here and would like to avoid loosing root if possible.

I tried putting the PC36IMG.zip from here and at first it asked me if I wanted to flash it and after the first thing it restarted and now gives an error Main Version is older!
Update Fail!

Any ideas? I would really like to keep this phone.

Thanks,
Justin

embmicro

Jun 15, 2010
I've tried basically everything I can think of. After attempting to flash the first PC36IMG.zip file I get the main version error for every other one.

Is there somewhere I can get the latest PC36IMG that will be newer and I can try to flash? At this point I don't really care if I lose root (if I haven't already) I just want my phone back.

caguirr4

Oct 7, 2010
Katy, TX
I've tried basically everything I can think of. After attempting to flash the first PC36IMG.zip file I get the main version error for every other one.

Is there somewhere I can get the latest PC36IMG that will be newer and I can try to flash? At this point I don't really care if I lose root (if I haven't already) I just want my phone back.

Just run the ruu.exe and get it back to stock.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

embmicro

Jun 15, 2010
I tried that. I even tried flashing the stock PC36IMG.zip (which flashed successfully) but I had the same problem. I finally gave up after like 8 hours of working on it and took it into Sprint. I am going to pick it up at 7. They said if they couldn't fix it they would give me a new one for $35 since I'm out of warranty which doesn't seem bad.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys please help!
    My phone was going slow so I turned it off. then when i turned it back on it wont reboot. it would just take me straight to the fastboot screen.
    i am stock rooted and was running netarchy toastmod 4.3.4 cfs-havs-nosbc
    I tried to reflash the kernel and no good.
    I tried reflashing PC36IMG and it succesfully does but when attempting to reboot it takes me back to the fastboot.
    I finally had no choice but to clear all storage hoping for my phone to at least turn back on and same thing!
    I tried two different memory cards and it's still no good. Please help!
    Your boot.img is borked
    Reflash your rom. Can do sprint lovers or there is the stock rooted you can download from the dev section