[HOW TO][UNBRICK][KF2][RED SCREEN] You have a red screen? Try this!

Search This thread

controguerra

Aug 2, 2013
There are successful!!
Practically after the command cmd I had to give the path where it was fastboot and then give the command shown.
Thank you very much for the help!

Last edited:

medtechdc

Jun 2, 2013
Davisville
Thank you, now my kindle in Fastboot is recognized by the PC as a Kindle fire.
I inserted the file otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin in the directory where there is' fastboot.exe (in the platform-tools). I typed CMD and then fastboot-i 0x1949 flash bootloader otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin but I received an answer: fastboot-i not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

I do not understand where I'm wrong ....

I had that same message until I copied the otter2 file to the correct directory. Unfortunately now I am getting this error:
target reported max download size of 486539264 bytes
error: cannot load 'otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin': No error

I am a noob since this is the first time I've rooted anything. I originally used KFFirstAide utility and root went smoothly. All was fine for a couple weeks til I wasn't "content" with Nova launcher anymore and I tried to flash CM10 then got the red screen. This all went down nearly 3 months ago when I quit trying for a couple months and now want to get it back in working status. Will anyone help me out?

medtechdc

Jun 2, 2013
Davisville
I searched thru threads on this site and google for days trying to find the solution to my problem. I honestly never came across that thread somehow! Thanks much will try anything at this point.

RiGgs-Baine

Aug 14, 2013
I followed the instructions at the start of this thread and everything worked up until it was time to flash otter2.bin file. When i type it in i get stuck with < waiting for device>. Not sure what i did wrong but any help will be greatly appreciated.

I must apologize I am a noob and have never done anything like this before. After my last post I went back and re-read the thread that's when it hit me that fast boot in two different directories I copied the bootloader.bin file into my other directory and opened my command prompt from that folder and retried to flash my kindle and it worked excellently. I do have one other issue I am not sure how to do an ADB sideload can someone please point me right direction. thanks for all you guys do.

Last edited:

arkanoire

Aug 10, 2013
when i get to step 5 it says "'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file."

Last edited:

RiGgs-Baine

Aug 14, 2013
Step 5

when i get to step 5 it says "'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file."

Are you using Windows? If so you need to make sure you have the fastboot file and the sdk drivers set up on your system. If not there is a link on the first page of this thread in the list of steps. If so open up your file browser and navigate to the folder that you have the fastboot file saved to and in an empty space in the window pane hold the shift key and right click then select open command prompt here. when the command prompt opens continue with the list of steps at the begging of this thread. Hope this helps. Click thanks if so.

Reactions: arkanoire

spaced_out

Aug 29, 2013
help

How to fix your bricked KF2 with a red screen

Amazon recently fixed the secruity hole, that was used to flash second bootloader and TWRP recovery.
After you flashed TWRP recovery/second bootloader and rebooted the device you will see a red screen. You can do nothing at this point withoud a pc.
So to reopen the secruity hole you have to downgrade the bootloader via fastboot.
In order to enter Fastboot mode you have to have a fastboot/factory cable. The fastboot/factory cable is not the cable that came with your Kindle Fire!!! For more information about the factory cable visit this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1392693
Also you should set up all drivers and the Android SDK.
You can find the right drivers here!

1.)Hold the power button for 20 sec. Your device will shut down
2.)Plug in your Fastboot cable and power on the device. Your Kindle shout now be in fastboot mode (a green light should blinking)
3.)Download the Bootloader file: otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin
4.)Copy the file in to the same directory where the fastboot.exe is located
5.)Open a CMD window, navigate to your fastboot directory and type:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin
6.)Disconnect the cable and hold the power button for 20 sec.
7.)Your device should now be working fine.

If i helped you please press the
Bildschirmfoto%20-%2026.07.2013%20-%2016:30:53.png
button!
Thanks to @Hashcode for providing the bootloader file.

hi had a red screen on kindle just used this method and now its not even booting into fastboot any ideas or am i stuffed now

thanks in advance

martygt

Sep 15, 2013
Worked a treat!!

Thanks for this. Was able to flash stock via KFfirstaid after using this. Cheers. :laugh:

jaime4

Oct 30, 2013
Kindle fire 2 - red screen

Umm...did you check the md5 sum of that file before trying to flash it in fastboot?

Hello i saw this old post about the kindle fire 2 with red screen syndrome
I have the same problem, all the drivers are installed but when i try to flash the bootloader I get

Im dont know how to check the md5 sum

Please help me if you know the solution, im a noob iv been stuck for weeeks

flopower1996

Sep 8, 2012
Hello i saw this old post about the kindle fire 2 with red screen syndrome
I have the same problem, all the drivers are installed but when i try to flash the bootloader I get

Im dont know how to check the md5 sum

Please help me if you know the solution, im a noob iv been stuck for weeeks

Let me google that for you:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+check+md5

jaime4

Oct 30, 2013
Kindle fire 2 cannot load bootloader

I appreciate you goggling that for me but i was hoping you can be more specific
about how to flash bootloader error

if it is the md5 how would i fix it,

flopower1996

Sep 8, 2012
The MD5-SUM is a checksum that verify your download. If your downloaded file is corrupt the MD5 check will tell you this.So if your test fails simply redownload the file and test it again.

lsmrfydgaf

Nov 10, 2011
Fayetteville
hey all, just wondering..i "had" a kf2 10.4.6 rooted but then tried installing something called alien box and WHAMMO red screen.
now i understand im stuck ass unless i have a factory cable (yes with pin 4 activated), i have to order one. I also know i have to install the drivers, adb, and the sdk... but for the life of me i have downloaded just about EVERY DRIVER for the KF and I keep getting the message that I have to install manually because of an unproper installation. I even tried the ones attached to this post at the very top.
yes, i have disabled driver signature check in windows 8 but this driver just wont install...also even when i was able to install drivers my pc still wouldnt recognize it as a removable drive because of an MTG error... ANY IDEAS!!!!

THANK U ALL IN ADVANCE!!

grogman19

Dec 1, 2013
Stuck in sending bootloader

Hi guys,

I'm having the same problem most of the people is having, red screen after flashing TWRP using the apk. I have the fastboot cable and I think the drivers are well configured, indeed, fastboot sees the Kindle Fire 2 in fastboot mode:

Code:
>fastboot -i 0x1949 devices
39A6000600000001        fastboot

>fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product
product: Otter2-Prod-04
finished. total time: 0.000s

Problem is, when I try to flash the bootloader, the green light stops flashing, and it's stuck in the sending step, no matter how much time I wait...

Code:
>fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin
sending 'bootloader' (227 KB)...

Any ideas?

Thank you very much!!!

Last edited:

mr_verystock

Aug 13, 2012
Los Angeles
Hi guys,

I'm having the same problem most of the people is having, red screen after flashing TWRP using the apk. I have the fastboot cable and I think the drivers are well configured, indeed, fastboot sees the Kindle Fire 2 in fastboot mode:

Code:
>fastboot -i 0x1949 devices
39A6000600000001        fastboot

>fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product
product: Otter2-Prod-04
finished. total time: 0.000s

Problem is, when I try to flash the bootloader, the green light stops flashing, and it's stuck in the sending step, no matter how much time I wait...

Code:
>fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin
sending 'bootloader' (227 KB)...

Any ideas?

Thank you very much!!!

Restore it to 10.2.3 using KFFirstAide in the Fastboot.
Try the automated method again; install the otter2_boot_prod first before running the apk installer script.

Reactions: grogman19

grogman19

Dec 1, 2013
Restore it to 10.2.3 using KFFirstAide in the Fastboot.
Try the automated method again; install the otter2_boot_prod first before running the apk installer script.

Hi, I'm having the same problem with KFFirstAide. I'm reaching the same point where it's stuck trying to send the image using fastboot:

Code:
sending 'boot' (4310 KB)...

It seems any fastboot flash operation gets stuck at the same point. What could I be doing wrong?

Thank you!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to fix your bricked KF2/otter2 with a red screen

Preparation:
    Amazon recently fixed the secruity hole, that was used to flash second bootloader and TWRP recovery.
    After you flashed TWRP recovery/second bootloader and rebooted the device you will see a red screen. You can do nothing at this point withoud a pc.
    So to reopen the secruity hole you have to downgrade the bootloader via fastboot.
    In order to enter Fastboot mode you have to have a fastboot/factory cable. The fastboot/factory cable is not the cable that came with your Kindle Fire!!! For more information about the factory cable visit this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1392693
    Also you should set up all drivers and the Android SDK.
    You can find the right drivers here!
    Your device is not turning on? No sign of life? Then check this thread for hard bricked KF2s': http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2415870

Steps:
    1.)Hold the power button for 20 sec. Your device will shut down
    2.)Plug in your Fastboot cable and power on the device. Your Kindle should now be in fastboot mode (a green light should blinking)
    3.)Download the Bootloader file: otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin
    md5sum: 5b03a7b428325de8d360ec201a745498
    4.)Copy the file in to the same directory where the fastboot.exe is located
    5.)Open a CMD window, navigate to your fastboot directory and type:
    ##############################################################
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin
    ##############################################################
    6.)Disconnect the device and hold the power button for 20 sec again.
    7.)Your device should now be working fine.

Support Me:
    If I helped you please press the thanks button and rate this thread
    rating_5.png
    !
    Thanks to @Hashcode for providing the bootloader file.
    Hello, sorry for the English, but I am an Italian boy.
    I have red screen on my Kindle second generation.
    I just got the factory and I CLABE fastboot with green light.
    Unfortunately in my Windows 7 Ultimate, is recognized as the Kindle I otter2 - prod - 04.
    Can you tell me where to download the drivers to be able to run my Kindle?
    Thank you.

I know i will sound stupid for asking this, but i need your help. Which drivers do i set up because i am not sure if i have the right one (Device manager says Kindle fire: android adb interface) also i have a android sdk with fastboot and they on the same page but when i type it in on the cmd it says it does not recognize fastboot. Is your version of fastboot the same as mine? And how will i know when it is done or when to disconnect. thank you!

:good::highfive:

Use this driver: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1337103&d=1348009415
    It's for the Kindle Fire HD 7'' but works fine for our Kindle Fire 2 as well.
    Thanks for the info. Saw this in one of the HD forums an d assumed it would work for us (not that my device will ever see stock again lol)

Good to see some sharing here.
    --
    Sent from my mind to your screen.
    I believe he meant the directory in which the fastboot application is located on your PC, which is typically your Android SDK folder / platform-tools.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using xda premium
    i have the cable that came with the kindle and a few other cables and it worked before this 10.4 update.
    Once again, a "factory cable" is not a standard USB cable. When people say "factory cable", they are referring to a factory programming cable. If you don't know what it is, you don't have one.