Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
What is this thread?
This is where steps will be tried to get root on the device

What should be posted?
Steps to try, steps tried and failed, steps that worked

What should not be posted in this thread?
If your post doesn't have anything to do with root then you may ask in general, we will not help get adb set up or anything else, there are thousands of threads all over the interwebs that tell you how to get adb working and this will not be one of them.

So now that we have devices in hand and we have a few devs on-hand as well we can really get into this.

I will update this post later with tried methods and failed(and why) but for now we have some simple rules.

If you want to test, fine but share any and all details

We do not have someone in charge of root as several that are working don't have devices(myself included) and so we may just post steps, if you try the steps be sure to quote the steps tried and post results of each step(errors especially)

Once root is achieved provide pics and what you did so we can replicate and verify

Anything done on the phone is YOUR fault if you think that what you are trying could cause issues and you are uncomfortable doing the steps provided then stop and ask questions.

Standard disclaimers apply, if your phone is broke then fix it, we will try to be helpful if it was caused by our steps but the end result is if you brick it then it's your fault and we will note it as a step not to try again.

Hope this is helpful the rest will be updated below this later when I have computer to work at

xile6

Dec 2, 2008
Dallas
Yea I preordered mines so it should be n by the oct 6 day(my brithday :) )
But yea I want root asap once I get the phone ill be up to trying a few things to help out.
What's mainly needed? A system, boot, and recovery dump?

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using XDA App

WilliamStern

Mar 26, 2010
Miami, Fl.
yeah... sorry, that won't happen. but it won't be too difficult. start practicing with adb if y'all are rusty, lol!

The thing about that is that I own only Macs. Doesn't adb, and odin only work with pc?

I know we won't really see clockwork on the G2, I'm just wishing here. lol

Either way, I just want this to be easy.

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
odin was for vibrant, adb will run on any OS so long as you know how(put ./ in front and run the command or just make sure that the adb binary is in your path) i plan on trying the adb method tonight, just need a build with root to test with

dynamikd

Oct 19, 2008
Hopefully I will be able to test this theory out tomorrow when I receive my device :)

Sent from my OC844 Stock R00T3D Mytouch 3G Slide

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
The divice in my hand has recovery 3e which means the adb method may not work, we'll have to try a few things, won't have the G2 near a comp for another 8 hours from now

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App

dynamikd

Oct 19, 2008
The divice in my hand has recovery 3e which means the adb method may not work, we'll have to try a few things, won't have the G2 near a comp for another 8 hours from now

Damn, that's a little discouraging. I was hoping the root method would be quick. Oh well, it will give me some time to play with a vanilla rom.

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
When it arrives, get into bootloader by holding volume down, then hit recovery, volume up+power makes text menu appear in recovery

dynamikd

Oct 19, 2008
That's just like the slide, so I'm looking forward to seeing what comes up.

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
I wish root could be as easy as the vibrant, hopefully when I get home we can try some ideas and have at it

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

tubaking182

Mar 28, 2008
Well I only get the phone for 1 day but I will be as helpful as I can be with the phone, and I'll have one at work to toy with. Right now I am trying to get used to the keyboard and how it's set up

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

crr127

Jun 20, 2009
how do the short cut keys work? programmed? and what can they be programmed to do?

gariak

May 4, 2009
I've got one in hand with adb access but no root. Unless I'm doing it wrong, UniversalAndRoot, Unrevoked, and "fastboot oem unlock" all don't work. Other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Has anyone considered the possibility of a system.img that's being unpacked on boot? The root filesystem on our phones is unpacked from boot.img every time the phone is booted which is why there's trouble with the SGS and people rooting it by placing the su binary in /sbin...

Back on topic, the root filesystem can be changed at runtime, but reboot, and it all goes away. That's what sounds like is going on with the G2, but I don't have one to mess with.