[GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus Firmware Guide: Variations, Who Updates What, etc.

Search This thread

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC
With the Galaxy Nexus, there are a LOT of different firmware variants, most of which are updated by Samsung, not Google. This guide attempts to sort all of this out for the beginner and help you make sense of it all.

WHAT IS ALL THIS TALK ABOUT FIRMWARE VARIATIONS?
With every Nexus phone, there has been a "master" firmware, plus other localized firmware variants for certain regions or carriers. Sometimes these variants will contain language packs, additional ringtones, slightly different baseband (radio) firmware to make it work better for a particular carrier's network, etc.

In the case of the Nexus S, Google maintained the master and all the local variants. On the Nexus One and the Xoom, Google only maintained the master firmware while carriers and/or OEMs maintained the local variants. In the case of the Galaxy Nexus, there are three Google-maintained master firmware variants, and many more Samsung-maintained local variants.

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT VARIANTS AND WHAT DO THEY MEAN?
Below is a definitive list of all known firmware variants for the Galaxy Nexus, and what models they shipped on:

GSM/HSPA+ Models
  • takju - USA region- and carrier-independent firmware released on models sold in the USA through the Google Play Store
  • yakju - International region- and carrier-independent firmware released on models sold throughout western Europe.
  • yakjudv - Variant for Australia
  • yakjujp - Variant for the Middle East
  • yakjujt - Variant for Turkey
  • yakjukr - Variant for South Korea
  • yakjusc - Variant for Japan
  • yakjuux - Variant for Canada
  • yakjuvs - Variant for Brazil
  • yakjuxe - Variant for Russia and the former Eastern Bloc
  • yakjuxw - Variant for certain carriers in Western Europe
  • yakjuzs - Variant for China and Hong Kong

CDMA/LTE Models
  • mysid - Variant for Verizon in the USA
  • mysidspr - Variant for Sprint in the USA

HOW CAN I TELL WHICH FIRMWARE I HAVE ON MY DEVICE
Using any file manager app, go into your /system folder and open the file called "build.prop". Find the line that starts with ro.product.name. Whatever comes after the equals sign (=), that's the firmware you have.

WHICH FIRMWARE IS UPDATED BY GOOGLE AS OPPOSED TO SAMSUNG?
Google updates the following firmware variants:

• takju
  • yakju
  • mysid

Every other variant is updated and maintained by Samsung.

SO YOU'RE TELLING ME THAT THE SPRINT GALAXY NEXUS GETS UPDATES FROM SAMSUNG AND NOT GOOGLE?!?!
Yep.

WHY DOES IT MATTER WHERE MY UPDATES COME FROM ANYWAY?
For all practical purposes, it probably doesn't. However, this becomes an issue if you want timely updates. When Google drops a new OTA update for the Galaxy Nexus, they always announce it through official Android channels. When they announce a Galaxy Nexus OTA, they are only referring to devices running the firmware that they control.

This means that if you have a Sprint Galaxy Nexus, or a GSM model running one of the yakju(xx) firmware variants, your device is not included in the OTA rollout from Google. Your update will instead come from Samsung sometime in the future after they make whatever region- and/or carrier-specific changes they need to make for the firmware.

I HAVE A VERIZON GALAXY NEXUS. THE FIRMWARE IS UPDATED BY GOOGLE SO WHY DOES IT ALWAYS TAKE LONGER FOR UPDATES TO HIT MY DEVICE THAN THE GSM/HSPA+ DEVICE
Even though Google maintains and updates the mysid firmware on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, Verizon must test and approve the updates before Google is allowed to roll them out. This introduces delays, sometimes lengthy ones. For instance, Android 4.0.4 began rolling out to the Galaxy Nexus GSM model on March 28, 2012. The Verizon device didn't get the update until two months later, on May 31, 2012 due to testing delays. That's not to say that all future OTAs will occur on a two month delay, but it's best to be prepared for the worst.

WHAT'S THIS I'VE HEARD ABOUT BEING ABLE TO FLASH YAKJU FIRMWARE ON A DEVICE RUNNING YAKJU(XX)? IF I DO THIS, WILL MY UPDATES COME FROM GOOGLE?
You can flash yakju firmware onto any Galaxy Nexus GSM device that's running a yakju(xx) variant. This is outside the scope of this guide, but instructions can be found here on XDA with a little searching. Once you're up and running on yakju, your updates will come from Google rather than Samsung.

DOES THE SAME THING GO FOR CDMA? COULD I FLASH THE VERIZON MYSID FIRMWARE TO MY SPRINT MODEL AND GET UPDATES FROM GOOGLE?
No, No, No and NO! If you tried this, you'd probably risk hard bricking your phone, and even if it did boot, you'd have no mobile data and probably wouldn't be able to make calls either.

WHAT IF I HAVE FIRMWARE-RELATED QUESTIONS THAT AREN'T ADDRESSED IN THIS GUIDE?
Post them here and I'm sure someone can answer it for you.

Last edited:

Damian8a

Feb 9, 2011
Matamoros
Nice guide dude, you're gonna be thanked a lot.

I have a question, what hapens with my GN?

I just got it and It was originally Sprint, now its flashed to Iusacell, the CDMA carrier here in Mexico.

Where the hell are coming my updates from? D:

I'm not really worried, Im rooted runing stock 4.0.4, but if an important update comes, ill flash a rooted rom from here and be up to date.

But anyway I'm curious about that.

oldblue910

Jan 1, 2011
Durham, NC

I just got it and It was originally Sprint, now its flashed to Iusacell, the CDMA carrier here in Mexico.

I'm not really worried, Im rooted runing stock 4.0.4, but if an important update comes, ill flash a rooted rom from here and be up to date.

It sounds like you're still running the stock mysidspr firmware that came on your Sprint device originally, you just have it running on the Mexican carrier. That means you'll get any update any other Sprint device gets, which would come from Samsung. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Damian8a

gkatz1

Jun 28, 2012
thanks for the info...
I have a hong kong version of the galaxy nexus...
from this post I understand updates are managed by samsung.
the only OTA update I got until now was from 4.0.1 to 4.0.2. never got anything else. this did not really bother me up until now that jellybean will probably roll out soon for google managed versions.
Is there some place where I can search to see if my version will ever get jelly bean at all? and if it wil than when?
thanks in advance!

salomonld

Jul 25, 2011

Hola!, oye yo tambien vivo en mexico y tengo iusacell
tuviste algun problema para configurarlo o activarlo con cdma iusa?
ya esta dada de alta el ESN?

saludos

MaKTaiL

Oct 17, 2011
Brasília
Hi, I'm a little confused. Here in Brazil our Galaxy Nexus is called Galaxy X. It's basically the same phone, but we haven't recieved 4.0.4 update yet. We are stuck on 4.0.2.
How an I flash the yakju firmware on my device? I searched for tutorials here on XDA but I couldn't find anything conclusive.

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Reactions: RyanMZ

pbhojak

Jul 3, 2012
Update Galaxy Nexus

Thanks for the great guide.

I recently got my Phone from the US i.e. Galaxy Nexus. It shows the Android version as 4.0.1. How can i update it to Jelly bean or be eligible for the update?

Best.
Prasad

timoni

Apr 1, 2006
With the Galaxy Nexus, there are a LOT of different firmware variants, most of which are updated by Samsung, not Google. This guide attempts to sort all of this out for the beginner and help you make sense of it all.

With every Nexus phone, there has been a "master" firmware, plus other localized firmware variants for certain regions or carriers. Sometimes these variants will contain language packs, additional ringtones, slightly different baseband (radio) firmware to make it work better for a particular carrier's network, etc.

In the case of the Nexus S, Google maintained the master and all the local variants. On the Nexus One and the Xoom, Google only maintained the master firmware while carriers and/or OEMs maintained the local variants. In the case of the Galaxy Nexus, there are three Google-maintained master firmware variants, and many more Samsung-maintained local variants.

Below is a definitive list of all known firmware variants for the Galaxy Nexus, and what models they shipped on:

GSM/HSPA+ Models
  • takju - USA region- and carrier-independent firmware released on models sold in the USA through the Google Play Store
  • yakju - International region- and carrier-independent firmware released on models sold throughout western Europe.

CDMA/LTE Models

Using any file manager app, go into your /system folder and open the file called "build.prop". Find the line that starts with ro.product.name. Whatever comes after the equals sign (=), that's the firmware you have.

• takju
  • yakju
  • mysid

SO YOU'RE TELLING ME THAT THE SPRINT GALAXY NEXUS GETS UPDATES FROM SAMSUNG AND NOT GOOGLE?!?!
Yep.

For all practical purposes, it probably doesn't. However, this becomes an issue if you want timely updates. When Google drops a new OTA update for the Galaxy Nexus, they always announce it through official Android channels. When they announce a Galaxy Nexus OTA, they are only referring to devices running the firmware that they control.

This means that if you have a Sprint Galaxy Nexus, or a GSM model running one of the yakju(xx) firmware variants, your device is not included in the OTA rollout from Google. Your update will instead come from Samsung sometime in the future after they make whatever region- and/or carrier-specific changes they need to make for the firmware.

I HAVE A VERIZON GALAXY NEXUS. THE FIRMWARE IS UPDATED BY GOOGLE SO WHY DOES IT ALWAYS TAKE LONGER FOR UPDATES TO HIT MY DEVICE THAN THE GSM/HSPA+ DEVICE
Even though Google maintains and updates the mysid firmware on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, Verizon must test and approve the updates before Google is allowed to roll them out. This introduces delays, sometimes lengthy ones. For instance, Android 4.0.4 began rolling out to the Galaxy Nexus GSM model on March 28, 2012. The Verizon device didn't get the update until two months later, on May 31, 2012 due to testing delays. That's not to say that all future OTAs will occur on a two month delay, but it's best to be prepared for the worst.

WHAT'S THIS I'VE HEARD ABOUT BEING ABLE TO FLASH YAKJU FIRMWARE ON A DEVICE RUNNING YAKJU(XX)? IF I DO THIS, WILL MY UPDATES COME FROM GOOGLE?
You can flash yakju firmware onto any Galaxy Nexus GSM device that's running a yakju(xx) variant. This is outside the scope of this guide, but instructions can be found here on XDA with a little searching. Once you're up and running on yakju, your updates will come from Google rather than Samsung.

DOES THE SAME THING GO FOR CDMA? COULD I FLASH THE VERIZON MYSID FIRMWARE TO MY SPRINT MODEL AND GET UPDATES FROM GOOGLE?
No, No, No and NO! If you tried this, you'd probably risk hard bricking your phone, and even if it did boot, you'd have no mobile data and probably wouldn't be able to make calls either.

- I have question: If i flash yakju firmware on yakjuxx model, my GN change to yakju mode or not? Thank you for support.

RyanMZ

Jul 5, 2012
Thanks in advance!

Hello there,

Sorry to bother you all; first post!

I saw the noob video, so I'll be quick.

I've figured out what version of Nexus I have finally through your guide (yakjuux for Canada), but what I'm trying to figure out is if my Canadian Nexus is a GSM, VZW....or the other one I can't remember.

If you could help me out with that, I'm sure I'll be able to find the rest of the info on my own.

Thanks so much in advance!

EDIT: My phone is under Virgin Mobile's network, if this helps any.

Last edited:

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Hello there,

Sorry to bother you all; first post!

I saw the noob video, so I'll be quick.

I've figured out what version of Nexus I have finally through your guide (yakjuux for Canada), but what I'm trying to figure out is if my Canadian Nexus is a GSM, VZW....or the other one I can't remember.

If you could help me out with that, I'm sure I'll be able to find the rest of the info on my own.

Thanks so much in advance!

EDIT: My phone is under Virgin Mobile's network, if this helps any.

Well, let's think about this for a minute: Sprint and Verizon do not operate in Canada, so... if you bought a Canadian phone, what version do you think it has to be? ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

timoni

Apr 1, 2006
Hello Efrant,
I have galaxy nexus with phone about as attach file, could you tell me about my phone model: yakju or yakjuxx. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-07-05-12-41-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-07-05-12-41-27.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 645

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

GSM/HSPA+ Models
    • yakjujt - Variant for Turkey
    • yakjuvs - Variant for Brazil

CDMA/LTE Models

• takju
    • yakju
    • mysid

Yep.

Thread stuck
    FNM
    I open build.prop and see ro.product.name=yakju, but i do not know my device model is yakju or not. Because i am not sure when flash yakju fw on yakjuxx model will change device to yakju model or not. Could you pls help me.
    There is no yakju model or takju model or yakjuxx model or any other model. The models are as follows, and this can be seen on the label under the battery:
    GT-i9250
    GT-i9250M
    GT-i9250T
    SC-04D
    M420

From what we have seen, the models ARE ALL IDENTICAL hardware wise.

When you flash yakju, you have a yakju build. When you flash yakjuxx, you have a yakjuxx build. Nothing more. It is strictly software.
    I am on YAKJUXW, baseband XXLF1 Buildnumber JRO03C Android 4.1.1. Is there anybody who got the same as build as mine who was able to update to 4.1.2 OTA? Ive already tried clearing Google Framework Services data several times but still didnt get the OTA update
    If we look at the the 4.1.1 update, it took a couple of months after yakju got the update, before yakjuxw got the update, so I would assume that it would take a couple of months.
    Pretty sure you have to have the stock signed recovery to accept official updates.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my EVO using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

You have to have stock recovery if you want to auto-flash OTAs. In other words, if you get the notification on the screen and tap "Restart and Install", you'll have to have stock recovery installed in order for that to work.

If you're OK with flashing OTAs manually, though, you can do that in a custom recovery all day long.