[GUIDE] Enable AWS on Samsung Galaxy IV AT&T i337 & Canadian i337M

Search This thread

sonny21

Oct 7, 2012
I've read a bunch of threads and understand the concepts and all but have a specific general question.

Questions:

After this tweak will the phone automatically switch bands when one switches from say a Rogers SIM to a T-Mobile SIM and vice-versa? No other setting changes required?

Is the M919 and I337M the same hardware wise and some bands have been disabled by software?

This tweak enables the AWS band, so it's enabled at all times weather using Rogers or bell/Telus sim. No other settings changes required.

Correct, same hardware but software disabled bands.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: simho

ferganer

Sep 4, 2011
Noob question here:

Is it possible to flash the stock T-Mobile ROM to get Wi-Fi Calling? Or is wifi calling hardware specific?

Also, is it possible to flash T-Mobile stock ROMs on a 32Gb AT&T S4?

Edit: I found that WiFi calling can be enabled if you install a T-Mobile ROM (at least this was the case for the S3). Now the question is whether I can get the 32Gb AT&T S4 and install a T-Mobile ROM.

Last edited:
Reactions: igotroot

raffacorreio

Oct 25, 2012
Vancouver
Really???

I did. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hey there!!

Let me see if I understood: you have an i337 from AT&T, so you enabled AWS Band on it and then you flash the stock TMO room? Have you tried check if all six LTE Bands (1, 2, 4, 5, 7 and 17) are activated too? Because the AT&T version has just two LTE Bands (4 and 17). Thanks!!

sonny21

Oct 7, 2012
Hey there!!

Let me see if I understood: you have an i337 from AT&T, so you enabled AWS Band on it and then you flash the stock TMO room? Have you tried check if all six LTE Bands (1, 2, 4, 5, 7 and 17) are activated too? Because the AT&T version has just two LTE Bands (4 and 17). Thanks!!

The band's aren't related to the rom. So if you have at&t and use this mod, you'll have access to the supported bands regardless of what rom you install, including T-Mobile one.

Reactions: igotroot

godzulu

Just so I get this straight - I have done this mod already. Today, however, I flashed MDOB de-odexed so I could get Wallet working. Do I need to re apply this or is it a one and done thing? Also, am I right to assume that if I followed the op's directions, the phone re-booted etc. that I was successful?

sonny21

Oct 7, 2012
Just so I get this straight - I have done this mod already. Today, however, I flashed MDOB de-odexed so I could get Wallet working. Do I need to re apply this or is it a one and done thing? Also, am I right to assume that if I followed the op's directions, the phone re-booted etc. that I was successful?

You would have to test it manually, but yes it's one and done method. That is as long as you don't flash another modem.

Reactions: godzulu

madmajd

Oct 31, 2011
Ontario
What happens if I get an OTA update after I install this patch? Will I lose the patch and have to reinstall it, or does it brick the phone? Or it will just update without causing any problems?

_eroz

Oct 22, 2011
Brookfield, IL

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369865021332.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369865021332.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,109
  • uploadfromtaptalk1369865051420.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369865051420.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 1,263

sonny21

Oct 7, 2012
What happens if I get an OTA update after I install this patch? Will I lose the patch and have to reinstall it, or does it brick the phone? Or it will just update without causing any problems?

That's a good question. Pretty sure, it won't brick anything, just matter of having to redo mod or not. Hopefully someone answers this.

simho

May 28, 2013

That's a good question. Pretty sure, it won't brick anything, just matter of having to redo mod or not. Hopefully someone answers this.

Actually I'm going to hold off on getting an S4 until questions like this get answered. If a redo is required I'd rather get the M919. Heck, if I wait long enough I might as well get the Google Edition...as long as it has the same bands.

sd_N

Oct 14, 2010
Hollister
yes

Hey there!!

Yes....all lte bands are enabled after this. Just go to the hidden service menu via the post here in xda and go to the lte settings.. Choose the bottom option and there u will see ALL lte bands. Just enable them and you're ready. :) I even swapped sims with a friend and got T-Mobile lte as well as the AWS refarmed T-Mobile 4g.

mxmarcus

Jun 14, 2010
Yes....all lte bands are enabled after this. Just go to the hidden service menu via the post here in xda and go to the lte settings.. Choose the bottom option and there u will see ALL lte bands. Just enable them and you're ready. :) I even swapped sims with a friend and got T-Mobile lte as well as the AWS refarmed T-Mobile 4g.

That is great news. I just ordered the AT&T 32gb version.

Sent from my MZ609 using Tapatalk 2

sonny21

Oct 7, 2012
When I key in *#2263# I get "RAT selection option is restricted"

Am i correct to assume that I have not enabled AWS correctly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium

I believe you may be getting that message because of at&t csc/rom/sim card, not sure though.

Get a T-Mobile SIM card and see if you can access the menu.

Last edited:

russiandivxclub

Feb 5, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
WHAT ? Are you guys saying i337 can use T-Mobile 3G/4G network ? And companies like Simple Mobile will work just fine and instead of ugly E I'll have 3G or even 4G speeds ? Cause I am kinda confused right now .... Basically question is i337 for Simple Mobile will do E (EDGE) or at list 3G ?

Thanks !

sonny21

Oct 7, 2012
WHAT ? Are you guys saying i337 can use T-Mobile 3G/4G network ? And companies like Simple Mobile will work just fine and instead of ugly E I'll have 3G or even 4G speeds ? Cause I am kinda confused right now .... Basically question is i337 for Simple Mobile will do E (EDGE) or at list 3G ?

Thanks !

If simple mobile has the same AWS band as T-Mobile or at&t bands then yes.

cantinflas

Jan 25, 2012
Los Angeles
for some weird reason, the apk file is not file installing. i do have unknown sources checked. downloaded it directly from my mobile browser and the same thing, will not install.

galaxy808

May 11, 2013
I did mine thanks the Zedomax's awesome video and instructions, thanks OP for posting this.

I'm on AT&T now but a former T-Mo customer, I did it to keep my resale options good haha!!!

---------- Post added at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

for some weird reason, the apk file is not file installing. i do have unknown sources checked. downloaded it directly from my mobile browser and the same thing, will not install.

it wont install straight from the downloads. you need to go to the programs drawer and use the File Explorer to launch it worked for me, but had to enable unknown sources of course.

Reactions: cantinflas

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide will help you enable AWS on AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 i337 or Canadian Samsung Galaxy S4 i337M
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All Files Have been Included In The Attachment ( See Below )

Instructions

1. Run & Install QPST Setup build 323 on your windows computer [File attached below]

2. [ With Latest Android Updates on S4, you don't need this step(2) which requires an application to be installed which is attached below named as phoneutil.apk, skip this step, How to know if you don't need, when Dial *#0808# on your dial pad if it shows a prompt poped up you don't need this step ]
    Copy phoneutil.apk (attached to this post) to your phone & Install it on your phone -> go to myfiles (on your phone), browse and install it.

3. Disconnect your phone from computer & dial:
    For stock android versions:
    Dial *#7284# on your phone dialer and hit “Qualcomm USB settings” button
    For Updated Android Versions
    *#0808# for new updated android S4

4. Check “RNDIS + DM + MODEM” then connect to computer again. (Some people got it working with "DM + MODEM + ADB")
    usb_setting.jpg

5.Your windows will install driver ( Samsung Kies if is installed, it will install drivers for your device )

6. Next, open up Device Manager on your computer and find “Samsung Mobile USB Serial Port” under Ports.
    Make a note of the COM number (usually the second one)
    device_manager.png

7. Start QPST Confirguration application

8. Press Add New port, Uncheck “Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostic ports only”, choose the COM port with the number you noted earlier then hit “OK”.
    addnewport.png

adnepo.png

10. Choose “Start Clients” and choose “SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD”.

11. Choose the “Backup” tab, hit “Browse” for Port and choose your COM number, hit “Browse” for QCN File and make a new file name for the QCN file you will be making a backup of. We will be backing up the NV Memory on your phone just in case you mess up something. Then hit Start.
    backup.png

12. Hit the “Restore” tab, set Port to your COM number. Next, choose the QCN File as “337_AWS.qcn”. (I have attached below)
    Then hit “Start” button. If you get a warning just hit “OK”.
    restore.png

13. Once that’s done restoring, your phone will reboot. Just give it about a minute as it will reboot. Once rebooted, you can insert your T-Mobile/Wind/Mobilicity SIM card and start enjoying
    networks.png

Tested 100% Works with all AWS network flawlessly.

FAQ

Will this void my warranty?
    No.
    What to do if i get this error ? "The model number in the QCN file and the phone do not match. Do you still want to restore the phone with this file?"
    It is safe to continue
    Will it work with other networks Rogers, Bell, Fido ?
    Yes.
    Phone has to be sim unlocked for this patch to work?
    Yes, phone must be sim unlocked
    Will it work with Custom ROMs?
    Many custom ROMs work, some ROMs don't work because USB Qualcomm Setting doesnt pop up.
    Is it permanent?
    When you hard reset your phone(Some custom roms require hard resetting), this needs to be patched again following this guide from beginning other than that, it stays patched even if you restart it.

You are responsible on following the instructions carefully, instructions are provided assuming user has adequate knowledge to carry out basic operations. For those who know, this is done exactly the same way the NOTE 2 was done.

Special Thanks: to FastGsm.com for the phoneutil.apk
    I would also like to thank the XDA Team and all those members who'd come up with this idea on the note 2 & before, indeed it wouldn't have been possible without them, originally by sjravi and other respected members

Now Buy me a coffee ;) Donate
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=R49VLCBR45322

Attachment:
    QPST Software: Download
    All Other Files: Download

Temporary AWS Patch Guide for Samsung S3 i747 Coming Soon Using Smart Apps Makes It Convenient to patch again on ever restart
    chen sheng - thanks for donation
    Saad Al Haddawi - thanks for donation
    Pierluigi Zamparella - thanks!
    and many others thank you for your donations.
    Rated 5 stars!

Thx for posting the QCN file, I was about to make a backup from my own M919 until I saw this!

Video tutorial for anyone having trouble here:
    I made a flashable zip for unlock aws networks for att variant Modem mdl

Thanks to erolz for the modem and toothmkr57 for the idea :)

You can test it and give feedback please

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42589312

[RADIO]I337/I337m [CAN][USA]MEX]15/06/2013
    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
    Oh ok. Can I install that .qcn modem file using Odin?
    I think only with QPST

If you can't get QPST to detect phone (0) then try this:

dial *#0808#, change to RNDIS, if that doesn't work try RMNET, if it still doesn't work dial *#9090# and hit 2 for HSIC. Fire up QPST, restore 337_aws.qcn file (backup yours first), after phone reboots go to mobile network and pick access point names, make sure dot beside your provider, go to network operators and choose "automatically select preferred network". Boom, done.

-Jamie M.