ICS Port

Search This thread

azoller1

Aug 4, 2011
My Room
OnePlus 8T
arent they located in /system/bin?
Need root first though
(I would help out with this, but dont really know how to do it, and i dont have the player yet)

Last edited:

Dyskmaster

Jul 5, 2010
Hi I have found the way to port ICS to the galaxy players.:D :
http://www.freeyourandroid.com/guide/compile-ics

The problem is that I can't find the binaries for the galaxy player. Where I can find them?

Will this actually boot and run? If it's that "easy", then why don't more devices have ICS? If you can extract the binaries and cook up a rom, I would be happy to test it :). Also, if I have time later this week, I'll try to follow those instructions and then post my results. If everything works on the first try, I'll be very surprised but not at all dissapointed :D. Thanks for sharing this

Last edited:

zaclimon

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
Will this actually boot and run? If it's that "easy", then why don't more devices have ICS? If you can extract the binaries and cook up a rom, I would be happy to test it :). Also, if I have time later this week, I'll try to follow those instructions and then post my results. If everything works on the first try, I'll be very surprised but not at all dissapointed :D. Thanks for sharing this

Well maybe because people don't know how to do it. And as for the current rom the major problem is the hardware acceleration and the camera. Maybe We can find it (The binairies) at opensource.samsung.com

Last edited:
May 14, 2010
광주
It should be easier than phones because you don't have to worry about not screwing with voice, data, and stuff like that. Just get it on and get all the apps working correctly. Radios are always the hardest.

sodomywar

Nov 24, 2011
Medellin
I've also been triyng to compile the source for the player but i wasnt able to do so, the thing is that the source compiles fine with the pre-adjustments it comes with, i mean the androidboard.mk ( i think thats the name of the file not sure), but when i changed the variables for a armv5 build, which is the core of the device and the ones that comes in the same file on the opensource.samsung soource, it just doesnt compile and throws some kind of errors about some libraries that i didnt touched. i dont know what i had been doing wrong.

I Also found this video in which they show whats in every folder, and how to build and add packages from source to the build:

http://marakana.com/forums/android/general/269.html

This is a detail process description from the official android site to build from source, very similar like the one zaclimon found:
http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html

The source from samsung doesnt have all the drivers, just the alsa audio driver, i guess we gonna have to find a way to get the binaries like cyanogen did, maybe get some scripts they use and try to do it ourselves:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Sa...le_CyanogenMod_(Linux)#Copy_proprietary_files

it is done through the adb, but the thing is to get those files, maybe we could ask that fellow some help for this step, since he has the experience.

zaclimon

Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
I've also been triyng to compile the source for the player but i wasnt able to do so, the thing is that the source compiles fine with the pre-adjustments it comes with, i mean the androidboard.mk ( i think thats the name of the file not sure), but when i changed the variables for a armv5 build, which is the core of the device and the ones that comes in the same file on the opensource.samsung soource, it just doesnt compile and throws some kind of errors about some libraries that i didnt touched. i dont know what i had been doing wrong.

I Also found this video in which they show whats in every folder, and how to build and add packages from source to the build:

http://marakana.com/forums/android/general/269.html

This is a detail process description from the official android site to build from source, very similar like the one zaclimon found:
http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html

The source from samsung doesnt have all the drivers, just the alsa audio driver, i guess we gonna have to find a way to get the binaries like cyanogen did, maybe get some scripts they use and try to do it ourselves:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Sa...le_CyanogenMod_(Linux)#Copy_proprietary_files

it is done through the adb, but the thing is to get those files, maybe we could ask that fellow some help for this step, since he has the experience.

The core is a ARMv7 right? because the hummingbird processor is a ARMv7. Maybe it did failed because of that? I found the gpu drivers from the opensource. Check in the kernel folder. If I can give you the gpu file if you want. Well tell me what files you are missing i'll find to give it to you. (Well I don't know how to program so I try do to my best.)

EDIT: Also its seem that to compile ICS is more difficult than the other versions. We do need ubuntu to extract the binaries right?
EDIT2: People are saying that it's easier to build from CM9 than from the source. It is right or it's the same thing?

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/38960-build-your-own-cm9ics-preview-on-ubuntu-and-perhaps-debian/

Last edited:

alltellmobile

Jan 14, 2009
VA
Galaxy S Phone

Shouldn't you just be able to modify a Galaxy S ICS port and take out the data and other stuff you don't need?

sodomywar

Nov 24, 2011
Medellin
The core is a ARMv7 right? because the hummingbird processor is a ARMv7. Maybe it did failed because of that?

Well, i configured it with the files of the samsung source, and it said ARMv5, we need to know which one it is, probably faild because of libaries compatibilities for that architecture.

EDIT: Also its seem that to compile ICS is more difficult than the other versions. We do need ubuntu to extract the binaries right?
EDIT2: People are saying that it's easier to build from CM9 than from the source. It is right or it's the same thing?

Maybe it is easier than the official source, they modify the source and takes out some things that cellphones dont need 'cause the source it's made for all devices, so it could be smaller and easier to compile, i'm gonna try this port and let ya' know, it will take a while since the source it's huge

Would be great if a couple of us do it, if you can @zaclimon try it, you don't need ubuntu, if you know which libaries that command has (sudo apt-get install build-essential). I have debian and i compiled the source just fine, debian has a minimal installation (no X11) but to compile source you dont need anything else! Let me know if anyone else it's triyng we could excahnge some ideas! :)

zaclimon

Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
Well, i configured it with the files of the samsung source, and it said ARMv5, we need to know which one it is, probably faild because of libaries compatibilities for that architecture.

Maybe it is easier than the official source, they modify the source and takes out some things that cellphones dont need 'cause the source it's made for all devices, so it could be smaller and easier to compile, i'm gonna try this port and let ya' know, it will take a while since the source it's huge

Would be great if a couple of us do it, if you can @zaclimon try it, you don't need ubuntu, if you know which libaries that command has (sudo apt-get install build-essential). I have debian and i compiled the source just fine, debian has a minimal installation (no X11) but to compile source you dont need anything else! Let me know if anyone else it's triyng we could excahnge some ideas! :)

how many MB or GB the source has because I can't exceed my download's limitations?

EDIT: I'm a linux newbie. Is Ubuntu is the same thing as debian? Because Ubuntu is debian based right?
EDIT2: nevermind I'll be using ubuntu

Last edited:

alltellmobile

Jan 14, 2009
VA
Ok i was reading the first tutorial and got to the part about binaries for graphics acceleration; wouldn't we have to get ours before we compile it. Also i only have the US version of the galaxy player and if i made an image i couldn't test it because we don't have a custom recovery for ours.

zaclimon

Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
Ok i was reading the first tutorial and got to the part about binaries for graphics acceleration; wouldn't we have to get ours before we compile it. Also i only have the US version of the galaxy player and if i made an image i couldn't test it because we don't have a custom recovery for ours.

Oh that's true well you can try to port a custom recovery?

jdale38

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
plus.google.com
hey guys, i've been following this thread and hopefully i can be of some help...

i'm currently in the process of pulling the system files from the original gingerbread build from the SGP...it looks like there will be some trial and error here comparing that of the nexus s build...correct me if i'm wrong, but is this where most of the proprietary libraries are located for the device?

i'm willing to engineer a generic build, described in the video tutorial and making the necessary adjustments for the ARMv7 board...

this is my first attempt at compiling Android source, so maybe we will have something or maybe i will have a good ol' brick...thanks for the great tutorial and video @zaclimon this has definitely shed some light on porting ICS for SGP

zaclimon

Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
hey guys, i've been following this thread and hopefully i can be of some help...

i'm currently in the process of pulling the system files from the original gingerbread build from the SGP...it looks like there will be some trial and error here comparing that of the nexus s build...correct me if i'm wrong, but is this where most of the proprietary libraries are located for the device?

i'm willing to engineer a generic build, described in the video tutorial and making the necessary adjustments for the ARMv7 board...

this is my first attempt at compiling Android source, so maybe we will have something or maybe i will have a good ol' brick...thanks for the great tutorial and video @zaclimon this has definitely shed some light on porting ICS for SGP
Yes they are supposed to be there. But I have download all the source code of the firmware from opensource.samsung.com
Me and sodomywar are working with the internationnal version of the SGP4. If you want to join you're welcome.
EDIT: No problem for the tutorials.

zaclimon

Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
So this is where i'm at currently. I'm trying to compile and I got this error:

Code:
build/core/base_rules.mk:166: *** system/extras/ext4_utils: MODULE.TARGET.EXECUTABLES.setup_fs already defined by device/samsung/galaxyplayer. Stop.
Does anyone know how to remove that error?

EDIT: nvm I managed to remove this error.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    if you dislike the alpha and would like to restore to stock, you can simply restore a clockwork backup

flash video doesn't work either, but it will play sound of the video. if flash video you wish to play has an enlarge to full screen button, you can press that and it should work fine. i just tried with some nytimes.com video

i didn't feel like making a new post because this is merely a pre-alpha. it is meant only for the US versions of the Galaxy Player 5.0. i'd just like to thank fellow xda developers:

Entropy512 for his kernel/clockwork package
    ambrice for his cm7 kernel /w clockwork and source and which i modified to work with ICS
    tdmcode

what doesn't work:
    camera
    netflix (not fully hw-accelerated)
    flash videos inside the browser (youtube app works fine)
    vibration
    apps to the sdcard has been disabled because it caused random reboots (we have 1.8 gigs of /data storage so this shouldn't be a problem for now)
    the wifi signal strength indicator in the status bar is empty even though it should show bars
    gps lock takes a minute or so, but it does work

read directions! i take no responsibiltiy if you mess up because you didn't read thoroughly!

the download is available here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ligilswnp7p40qd
    md5sum 5217b92d3dbf4f772827fc13df49434b 3-18-ICS-ALPHA.zip

instructions:
    1. push the .zip to to your sdcard, as well as meant for ics from here http://goo-inside.me/gapps/
    2. install a kernel that allows for rebooting to clockwork (power+volume up on boot) and make a backup of your current setup
    3. in clockwork, go to mounts and storage and wipe system, data, and cache
    4. go to install .zip from sdcard and install 3-18-ICS-ALPHA.zip, then install gapps
    5. reboot and enjoy!
    Got a boot!!! First try!! It's actually very smooth from what I can see. It's the barebones as in I didn't try for anything to work except for booting so I can see what's up with the hardware :) gonna need help with the boot.img as the boot.img is ripped straight off from the CM7 built by XDA user ambrice (thanks for your code too, ambrice!!)

A booting build is around 80% of the work, now it's just tinkering and whatnot

http://i.imgur.com/NSere.jpg
    Making progress.

Got the camera linkage fixed by not using proprietary libs. Cameras probably won't work when it comes up but oh well, I'll fix that later.

Also had to remove the proprietary libsensorservice. I copied one that I found an an i9000 ICS ROM. Seems to load, no idea if it works.

Now the system is starting up, I think, but the screen is black. logcat shows that surfaceflinger is complaining about GL errors. Need to track that down...
    Hi I have found the way to port ICS to the galaxy players.:D :
    http://www.freeyourandroid.com/guide/compile-ics

The problem is that I can't find the binaries for the galaxy player. Where I can find them?
    Well here's a quick update:

Got my new computer my build environment all set up and it builds in 20 minutes rather than an hour and a half :-D

I've fixed a few things like the wifi signal bars, enabled the screen off animation and vibration will be back (thanks to ambrice's CM7 boot.img)

I also found the ways to enable the virtual soft buttons that the galaxy nexus has. I think I will make a script that you can run in the terminal that will enable the virtual soft buttons (and disable the actual soft buttons) and will have another script to revert back to normal. I might make this a zip but I haven't thought about the best and most efficient way to do this

I'm still trying to find out how to enable tablet mode for those who want it but haven't made any progress in finding out how to do so :/