4.2 roms or TW 4.1 roms?

Search This thread

godrik1210

Mar 24, 2011
I'm sure once TW comes out with a 4.2 update everyone will be happy. But until then I'm loving my TW 4.1 jedi

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

guthrien

Feb 26, 2011
I run both. They both have their unique features and distinct feel for everyday usage. Obviously the phone was designed with TWiz in mind but what devs here have pulled off recently with aosp is amazing.

I don't miss TW features too much when I'm running aosp. Mostly the fine detail screen capture with the spen. Everything else useful I can pretty much recreate. Not multiwindow, but I find that only marginally useful to begin with.

It's really easy to backup data and the whole rom. You can restore any setup right from where you left off in 10 mins. Basically, not sampling if you enjoy playing with your phone at all (welcome to xda!) is purely a preference. No need to feel committed to one view or other.

idiotzach15

Apr 7, 2012
Laurel, MD
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 6
I'm on Jedi a TW base and love it.
I had the nexus too and flashed everything there was and I prefer this TW rom with all the TW features over anything I ever ran on my nexus.
Maybe miss all the customization available but not enough to go back to aosp for the time being.
Now if Sorcery is ever available for the the note 2 all bets are off! That Rom had everything but the kitchen sink in it. lol

+1

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

NoValidTitle

Jun 27, 2007
Maple Shade NJ
I'd love to go to an AOSP ROM so I could get away from widget locker. Is there an app to replace the note popup when I remove the pen from it's home? That's really the only feature I use of TW. Maybe I'm missing out, I only learned about multiwindow from this thread just now haha. Played with it and I don't think I would ever use it, I hot swap apps constantly but I don't think I would use multiwindow.

cjstock

Oct 8, 2012
PAC Man all the way!

The PAC ROM is the best! Stock Android with crazy amounts of customization!

littlerm

Jul 10, 2007
I have been going back and forth but mostly stick with Beans rom. I really like stock Android but here are the problems that I see with AOSP roms on the VZW Note2:

No HDMI output
No multi-window
BT issues
The speaker sounds terrible
Earpiece volume is lower
S-pen support is scarce and not built-in
Battery life is worse (Android OS "keep awake" is high)
No exFat support (I use a 64GB card with files over 4GB)

I am not bashing AOSP roms, just simply stating the problems I have with them. Most of these will be fixed eventually.

xterra91

Jul 28, 2010
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm using carbon ROM bt is great battery life is also amazing ROM pie controls are pretty sweet

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

And I have a perfectly working 64 GB card fat 32

pool_shark

Dec 12, 2008
Macedonia, Ohio
I have been going back and forth but mostly stick with Beans rom. I really like stock Android but here are the problems that I see with AOSP roms on the VZW Note2:

No HDMI output
No multi-window
BT issues
Earpiece volume is lower

I am not bashing AOSP roms, just simply stating the problems I have with them. Most of these will be fixed eventually.

Lack of multi window and s pen are not problems. Those are touchwiz features aosp isn't touchwiz.

The only BT issue I have is no BT voice dialing. That's the only thing keeping me from using aosp full time.
I have no problem with my speaker or battery life.

I read that not having support for exfat is due to licensing, not sure if that's accurate.

Bill Idol

Aug 4, 2007
San Francisco
Lack of multi window and s pen are not problems. Those are touchwiz features aosp isn't touchwiz.

The only BT issue I have is no BT voice dialing. That's the only thing keeping me from using aosp full time.
I have no problem with my speaker or battery life.

I read that not having support for exfat is due to licensing, not sure if that's accurate.
Yup, same here

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

I'm on Jedi a TW base and love it.
I had the nexus too and flashed everything there was and I prefer this TW rom with all the TW features over anything I ever ran on my nexus.
Maybe miss all the customization available but not enough to go back to aosp for the time being.
Now if Sorcery is ever available for the the note 2 all bets are off! That Rom had everything but the kitchen sink in it. lol

True that. Sorcery was sick!

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Pics of Carbon? The screenshots portion of the OP doesn't even have screenshots, but it sounds interesting.

What is your preference, regular Carbon or Linaro Carbon?

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011

No HDMI output
No multi-window
BT issues
Earpiece volume is lower

I had those issues as well with AOSP and AOKP, mainly the speaker quality and worse battery life.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't see why people don't just take a few (or all) for a test drive...see what works best for THEM :)

sent from my 4.2.2 CarbonRom'd i605

Normally I would agree, but the **** you have to go through when going and coming from TW to AOSP is a bit ridiculous. Its not that hard to snap a couple screenshots and post them.
    Personally I hate the over done over sized and horrible color scheme of TW.. I also no longer care for Hacked up TW ROMS... I know some of them are very good but still, it's just not my cup of tea.. Even if you theme it to look like AOSP it feels more like running a iOS them on top of Android, its just not the same as the real thing. I really do not see any need in the extra's samsung provides either.. Really you actually need multi window??? Cause it seemed pretty novelty like to me.. The spen still works just fine in AOSP as well.

I don't know to each his own.. but everytime I have given a stock system a try (TW, Sence, Blur) I always go back to AOSP.
    ^Same. Phones have caught up. TW is pretty fast now, plus I like the extra features.

Whoa. Never thought I'd say that :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    This was yesterday. Running stock beans (no underclocking) with wifi use and full brightness uploadfromtaptalk1367866836080.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app
    I'm confused with the interest in aosp roms when it breaks the distinctive characteristics of the note 2 - multi window, motion activated functionality and s pen. Even if all the other issues such as voice, bluetooth were to be solved, wouldn't it be still a worse user experience without some of these? Is there anything you gain besides the pure small footprint of the rom?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2