wireless miracast screen mirroring with Netgear PTV 3000

Search This thread

TheHonkey

Jun 8, 2010
I have a LG and a sharp TV hdmi are good on both adapter works fine with my LG Og on both tvs I'm guessing I got bamboozled and purchased a knock off lol. Or maybe my tvs just aren't compatible with the S4 I hope not though.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium

Au999

May 12, 2013
Austin
I did everything you described still get the error message I posted. I purchased mine on ebay... the box mine Came in is different then your box maybe I purchased some knock off crap? On the instructions that came with it it says I need to go into settings>display>wireless display and select the SSID noted in step 1. Only problem is I have no idea how to get into the settings you can't navigate into the settings?

Interesting. You may have. Yours is using the Rocketfish color scheme while mine is all metal gray. Your Android logo is green while mine is white. Could be something or could be nothing.

The "settings>display>wireless display and select the SSID noted in step 1." is referring to your phone not the receiver. So basically you would go into the S4's menu to access this. For me I just go into the notification panel for quick settings and choose "screen mirroring". The phone will then scan for nearby devices and you should see your TV's SSID name on your S4. You then just tap on the SSID name and then hit the WPS button and it should start to connect.

Another note is that this particular product from Rocketfish is being sold "exclusively" by Best Buy. That's not to say someone else can't buy it and resell on eBay, Amazon, etc., but my point is Best Buy is the only authorized distributor for them at the moment.

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

I have a LG and a sharp TV hdmi are good on both adapter works fine with my LG Og on both tvs I'm guessing I got bamboozled and purchased a knock off lol. Or maybe my tvs just aren't compatible with the S4 I hope not though.

Lol. Man that would not be cool if your LG and Sharp TV are not playing nice with the S4. I doubt it since it works well with my Sony. If you felt you got bamboozled then go buy one at Best Buy and try it out to see if it works. If it does then you've confirmed that you got a defective unit from eBay and try to return it. If it still doesn't work then you have 15 days to return it to Best Buy for a full refund.

Or just take your receiver and microUSB cable out to Best Buy or another local store and plug it into one of their Sharp or LG TV and test it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHonkey

TheHonkey

Jun 8, 2010
The one I purchased was used and like 20 $ cheaper then best buy. Should have known better. The box is like a plain white box with the rocketfish branding being what looks like a sticker that wraps around the box. Smh. If best buy is the only retailer then I would imagine the packaging should all be the same. I'll do some research see if there is a better option like the all share dongle or something else. What flaws did you have with yours? I played a movie with my lgog and sound would cut out for a brief moment every 10 seconds or so.

Au999

May 12, 2013
Austin
The one I purchased was used and like 20 $ cheaper then best buy. Should have known better. The box is like a plain white box with the rocketfish branding being what looks like a sticker that wraps around the box. Smh. If best buy is the only retailer then I would imagine the packaging should all be the same. I'll do some research see if there is a better option like the all share dongle or something else. What flaws did you have with yours? I played a movie with my lgog and sound would cut out for a brief moment every 10 seconds or so.

Yeah, it does seem like you have bought a knockoff by the way you're describing the packaging. It doesn't look or feel like that on my box. I had $15 reward dollars that I used towards this so I went for it. My biggest issue is the sound quality. It would cut out just like you described. However, if I just play a regular audio file the sound transmits without any issues and is crystal clear. It only happens when I play games or stream videos. I haven't tried playing a video file yet, but will do so tonight to see if the same issue occurs.

That's a shame too, because for the most part everything else works well for me especially the design of the receiver. Unlike AppleTV or the Netgear it plugs directly into the HDMI port and the microUSB-USB cable plugs into the TV as well so you it's very portable and eliminates the need for additional storage space.

It does lag so gaming is not ideal, but according to other posts in this thread the Netgear lags as well. But my worry is it lagged on me for streaming videos and regular phone usages too. I noticed after you just exited an app you have to let it "rest" a bit otherwise it will start to lag. Especially after about 15 - 20 minutes of use when the phone starts to heat up.

TheHonkey

Jun 8, 2010
So I tried it with my OG to my LG tv and it worked fine the sound didnt cut out and gaming seemed to be pretty decent not much lag. On the sharp tv compeltely different story very laggy and sound issues. I have no idea what to think maybe sammy doesn't get along with sharp or lg I dunno? Does yours work better on your samsung tv compared to the sony?

Au999

May 12, 2013
Austin
So I tried it with my OG to my LG tv and it worked fine the sound didnt cut out and gaming seemed to be pretty decent not much lag. On the sharp tv compeltely different story very laggy and sound issues. I have no idea what to think maybe sammy doesn't get along with sharp or lg I dunno? Does yours work better on your samsung tv compared to the sony?

Unfortunately I get the same results either from the Samsung or Sony TV. I transferred a few 1080p videos onto my S4 and tried to stream it to the TV and it was as bad as streaming videos via YouTube. Complete false advertisement from Rocketfish and I sent them an email about it as well. Let's see how they respond back in 72 hours.

I was still planning to keep it though as it does a pretty decent job if you just want to share your screen. Good for photos, PDFs, Powerpoint presentations, etc. I was planning on keeping it and use it with my tablet for these purposes at work, but unfortunately this thing only supports Android 4.2.1 or newer and Sony's Z tablet is only at 4.1 right now. Even though Sony has released AOSP 4.2.2 to the Z tablet it's not intended for daily use and no telling when they will update their version of Android to 4.2.1 or newer.

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010
The ssid should be for the dongle and not the tv.

point which I have mentioned in my review video and my written review on Amazon are that some dongles like wireless keyboard etc get interference from circuit boards so when same dongles are connected via an extension cable then the interference seems to go away. So although having a direct hdmi plug on the device is useful I am guessing it can be affected by interference issues from tv boards. Mine is plugged in via an extension cable.

don't connect it via the bottom hdmi ports try the side ports as signal is stronger. Try keeping it in line of sight as another Amazon review had interference for the reception when not in line of sight or if some one was walking between the devices.

for my powerline ethernet adapter kit the instructions says fluorescent lights can interfere sometimes. Don't know if this might affect this device as well

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010
You don't need 4.2 older Sony devices and LG ones are miracast capable as per the link given by me in the YouTube upload video description.

Also Miracast although supposed to be similar on all devices it is not as there are some optional elements and not all manufacturers might include the optional elements which can create issues as per Wikipedia.

Mine works fine on my Sony tv. Will check my LG tv today.

android tv box which supposedly had Miracast does not work for screen mirroring for me. The replacement box does not work either.

Blu-ray player with Miracast will come on Tuesday and I will check. Amazon goofed up and first time the courier tried to con me by giving me an older model that I had ordered too and cancelled transaction. Then for next order the courier tried to get me to sign as delivered for the higher spec model but giving me older model so I complained to Amazon after refusing delivery. Now they are sending one out for the third time. Hopefully there will not be more goof ups again.

Last edited:

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010
Unfortunately I get the same results either from the Samsung or Sony TV. I transferred a few 1080p videos onto my S4 and tried to stream it to the TV and it was as bad as streaming videos via YouTube. Complete false advertisement from Rocketfish and I sent them an email about it as well. Let's see how they respond back in 72 hours.

I was still planning to keep it though as it does a pretty decent job if you just want to share your screen. Good for photos, PDFs, Powerpoint presentations, etc. I was planning on keeping it and use it with my tablet for these purposes at work, but unfortunately this thing only supports Android 4.2.1 or newer and Sony's Z tablet is only at 4.1 right now. Even though Sony has released AOSP 4.2.2 to the Z tablet it's not intended for daily use and no telling when they will update their version of Android to 4.2.1 or newer.

Rocket fish has got a YouTube channel. I have all Miracast devices and loads of others on my android accessories play lists. See the rocket fish upload which I think is also there in my android accessories playlist number 2. All play lists are linked in my tag line. I have put lads of Miracast device videos on those play lists. I periodically update my play lists sometimes many times a day. So check it out if you are interested in those devices.

Last edited:

Au999

May 12, 2013
Austin
You don't need 4.2 older Sony devices and LG ones are miracast capable as per the link given by me in the YouTube upload video description.

Also Miracast although supposed to be similar on all devices it is not as there are some optional elements and not all manufacturers might include the optional elements which can create issues as per Wikipedia.

Mine works fine on my Sony tv. Will check my LG tv today.

android tv box which supposedly had Miracast does not work for screen mirroring for me. The replacement box does not work either.

Blu-ray player with Miracast will come on Tuesday and I will check. Amazon goofed up and first time the courier tried to con me by giving me an older model that I had ordered too and cancelled transaction. Then for next order the courier tried to get me to sign as delivered for the higher spec model but giving me older model so I complained to Amazon after refusing delivery. Now they are sending one out for the third time. Hopefully there will not be more goof ups again.

The Netgear PTV-3000 probably does support older Android devices. I don't know since I haven't looked into it yet. But my comment about 4.2.1 or newer was for the Rocketfish receiver only. I'm only going by what they have on their box and also on their website - which states they only support devices that has version 4.2.1 or newer. I've attached an image from the back of the box.

Attachments

• rocketfish2.jpg
    rocketfish2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 164

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010
Miracast certified devices have older firmware too. See on the Miracast certifications link I have given on my video description. If the device is Miracast certified even if they have older firmware it should work with your dongle that is certified. Just see the link on my video description.

Last edited:

Au999

May 12, 2013
Austin
Miracast certified devices have older firmware too. See on the Miracast certifications link I have given on my video description. If the device it's Miracast certified even if they have older firmware it should work with your dongle that is certified. Just see the link on my video description.

So if I follow you correctly, all Miracast certified devices regardless of firmware revision will work with all Miracast certified dongles/receivers regardless of revision and applies to all OEMs. Correct?

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010
miracast has optional elements that may cause compatibility issues

So if I follow you correctly, all Miracast certified devices regardless of firmware revision will work with all Miracast certified dongles/receivers regardless of revision and applies to all OEMs. Correct?

thats how its supposed to be but because of some optional elements in the miracast devices there may be issues as per the miracast wiki post.

"The Miracast standard also has "optional components" such as TLDI and WMM. The use of optional components in "standards" often causes issues if one vendor supports the options components and another does not." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast

link to my video with description http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxZKpg3o-dk please read the video description where the links are given. i periodically update links there if i find anything relavant to the issue.

edit: link to all miracst devices here (even with older firmware devices) Other miracast devices are http://certifications.wi-fi.org/sea...te_to=&selected_certifications[]=69&x=62&y=15
Edit: the correct link to Miracast devices is http://www.wi-fi.org/wi-fi-certified-miracast™ as pointed out in the reply below. I put the wrong link here accidentally add had seen both pages and cited the wrong link by mistake

Last edited:

Au999

May 12, 2013
Austin
thats how its supposed to be but because of some optional elements in the miracast devices there may be issues as per the miracast wiki post.

"The Miracast standard also has "optional components" such as TLDI and WMM. The use of optional components in "standards" often causes issues if one vendor supports the options components and another does not." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast

link to my video with description http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxZKpg3o-dk please read the video description where the links are given. i periodically update links there if i find anything relavant to the issue.

edit: link to all miracst devices here (even with older firmware devices) Other miracast devices are http://certifications.wi-fi.org/sea...te_to=&selected_certifications[]=69&x=62&y=15

Well at least I guess we agree that possibly Android devices that are older than 4.2.1 might not work with the Rocketfish receiver per the OEM.

The "certification" link you have in your YouTube video is for "Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™" devices. This doesn't necessarily mean that they are "Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Miracast™" devices as well. Miracast actually doesn't even have a logo or indicator. Although the technology is shared between Miracast and WiFi Direct they are separate technologies. I've attached a PDF taken directly from the WiFi Miracast website covering this.

The link for Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Miracast™ devices is http://www.wi-fi.org/wi-fi-certified-miracast™

I'll return the Rocketfish for now and perhaps wait until someone is able to confirm that the Z tablet is compatible with it then I'll go back and revisit it again.

Attachments

• Miracast_FAQ_20120919.pdf
    138.6 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: bubblesmoney

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010
Well at least I guess we agree that possibly Android devices that are older than 4.2.1 might not work with the Rocketfish receiver per the OEM.

The "certification" link you have in your YouTube video is for "Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™" devices. This doesn't necessarily mean that they are "Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Miracast™" devices as well. Miracast actually doesn't even have a logo or indicator. Although the technology is shared between Miracast and WiFi Direct they are separate technologies. I've attached a PDF taken directly from the WiFi Miracast website covering this.

The link for Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Miracast™ devices is http://www.wi-fi.org/wi-fi-certified-miracast™

I'll return the Rocketfish for now and perhaps wait until someone is able to confirm that the Z tablet is compatible with it then I'll go back and revisit it again.

Thank you for alerting me regarding the wrong link. I had seen both the Miracast one and Wi-Fi one and put the wrong link on my YouTube upload.thanks for alerting me. I will put the correct link later today there.

Last edited:

nuscape

Jan 27, 2007
Guys, so just wondering how these netgear and rocketfish compared to the Samsung allshare cast dongle then? I'm thinking to get one but whether I should just buy the Samsung one instead since I'll be using it for my S4 only. Advice please? Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010
Guys, so just wondering how these netgear and rocketfish compared to the Samsung allshare cast dongle then? I'm thinking to get one but whether I should just buy the Samsung one instead since I'll be using it for my S4 only. Advice please? Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

My Netgear ptv3000 works fine but position is important. There will be stutter and more lag if it's behind the TV or not line off sight. Use it with a hdmi cable. Best position I found is to the side of the TV or even better on the side to the top of the TV on one edge of the TV. Works great for movie streaming from xbmc or anything else. 250 to 300 milliseconds lag so might not be appropriate for action gaming but ok for everything else. Others who have bought the Samsung have had issues with being stuck with 720p output and posted on my YouTube review of the ptv 3000 asking whether the ptv can do 1080p. My ptv can really do 1080p but position is important. It works great for widi mirroring of laptop. See my YouTube video review (link in my tagline) of it working fine with my s4, s3, and laptop for screen mirroring.

jochenthomas

Oct 2, 2010
My Netgear ptv3000 works fine but position is important. ......works great for widi mirroring of laptop.
I installed the newest Omega v7.0 ROM but it's not working with PTV3000.
It shows blue that the device is connected.
But no screen mirroring or video streaming etc. is visible.
Did you install any alternative ROM?
Any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I finally got down to the bottom of it. Netgear admitted that the Nexus 7 2013 is not a supported tablet at this time. I don't know why they couldn't have told that right off the bat. It works very well at 720p and if I need the full 1080p I will simply hook up my Slimport adaptor which works quite well.

PTV3000 Firmware Version 2.4.38
    Enhancements & Bug Fixes:

Fixed Fast cursor issue in Win8.1.
    Fixed WiDi E2E re-connection time too long.
    Fixed not responding to P2P probe request containing both ¡§DS Parameter IE¡¨ and ¡§WFD IE¡¨.
    Fixed 5.1 surround in Win8.1.
    Fixed Nexus 7/10 choppy audio playback.
    Add Screen Saver.
    Fixed no auto reboot after FW update.
    Fixed DNS hijack.
    Fixed ASUS MeMO Pad FHD 10 disconnect "WiFi Connection Closed" message shown on screen.
    Enable FW version display on Ready to connect screen.
    Wireless miracast screen mirroring with netgear PTV3000 works fine with occasional stuttering with full HD videos.
    See my upload https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxZKpg3o-dk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Gaming there is a lag sometimes with stuttering but works fine usually for videos and photos and Google music and presentations etc. Great accessory. Just hope they enable this feature for screen mirroring for my nexus 7 too soon
    I have the PTV3000 and so far I have connected my S4, Xperia ZL, Note II, S3, and my Centrino laptop.

For connecting the Note II and S3, you have to use the Samsung AllShare Cast app. It usually takes 2-3 tries to get it to connect the first time, but when it does connect to the adapter the first time subsequent connections seem to happen right away. Also, the Note II and S3 seemed to lose all wifi when connected...any data pulled from the internet seemed to need mobile data (ie. streaming Youtube means using the mobile data to get the Youtube video, and wifi is used to stream to the tv). On the S4, this limitation does not exist as both wifi and miracast works fine. I guess the S4 has an additional antenna or there is something in the ac standard that allows simultaneous transmission and download.

The range is excellent...streaming works a good 50-60 feet away. There is lag no matter how close, so I would say its not ideal for gaming, but for just sharing our screen its great.

The S4 gets really, really hot as well...say goodbye to battery life with this of course.

If you get the PTV, make sure you update the firmware as a lot of bugs were present in the previous firmware. Works great now.
    I dont think it asked me for a code? When I connect the rocketfish to my TV a rocketfish screen pops up with a setting button on the bottom left and some technical stuff like ssid and it says searching for peers then I flip on miracast on my s4 and it finds my TV and I connect. TV screen says connecting then connects then instead of my phone screen coming up some words come up and tells me my device doesnt support HDCP. I noticed that audio does come through like if I play YouTube I can hear the audio on my TV just no video Just a black screen.
    I dunno if it's something in the rocketfish settings but I don't know how to get into the settings it doesn't come with a remote.

on my netgear i get this HDCP error too. First time i connected to netgear from my SGS4 the netgear input on the TV displayed a code to enter on my phone. my pone also showed a pop up box where i fed in the code. it hasnt asked me to give the code again.the same process happened when i connected my WiDi laptop to the netgear the first time. But even after feeding the code and accepting it, it still briefly brings up a HDCP error screen which is shown on my videos and then that error screen disappears and mirroring happens.

Have you rooted your phone and flashed a custom rom if so then you might be getting HDCP errors as far as i am aware and remedy is triangle away process as far as i am aware. Although i havent tried anything like that as havent needed to do it.
    PTV3000 Firmware Version 2.4.38
    Enhancements & Bug Fixes:

Fixed Fast cursor issue in Win8.1.
    Fixed WiDi E2E re-connection time too long.
    Fixed not responding to P2P probe request containing both ¡§DS Parameter IE¡¨ and ¡§WFD IE¡¨.
    Fixed 5.1 surround in Win8.1.
    Fixed Nexus 7/10 choppy audio playback.
    Add Screen Saver.
    Fixed no auto reboot after FW update.
    Fixed DNS hijack.
    Fixed ASUS MeMO Pad FHD 10 disconnect "WiFi Connection Closed" message shown on screen.
    Enable FW version display on Ready to connect screen.

I applied this fix and to my surprise the TV is showing the video cast from my Nexus 7 is 1080p! Yea!