[HOW TO] Remove stock mms.apk, replace with vanilla mms.apk

Search This thread

Jazonk

Jul 22, 2010
Problem

I followed the directions as listed, and it seems that the commands worked, but now when I download the apk onto my phone, and attempt to install it, it pops up with an error telling me "No application can be found to open this file." Any ideas on what's going wrong?

Jazonk

Jul 22, 2010
Nevermind. I moved the apk to the sd card and opened it with astro and everything worked fine. Thanks for the great guide! I have hated that messaging app from day 1.

SirBindy

Nov 12, 2009
Rochester, NY
Worked great for me. It's nice not having to wait for my phone to process my 1000+ message threads.

However, I do miss the bubble over the icon telling me how many messages I have. But, I'll live I suppose :p

EDIT: It also doesn't remember settings for me. For example: If I use advance task killer to close it, the next time I open it it asks me all over again if I'd like to set limits and my settings have all reverted back to default.

Last edited:

shoman24v

Mar 4, 2007
Fresno, CA
Worked great for me. It's nice not having to wait for my phone to process my 1000+ message threads.

However, I do miss the bubble over the icon telling me how many messages I have. But, I'll live I suppose :p

EDIT: It also doesn't remember settings for me. Like if I use advance task killer to close it, the next time I open it, it asks me all over again if I'd like to set limits and my settings have all reverted back to default.
Yeah, that's the only downside, but the smoothness makes me not look back ;)

ds28

May 26, 2010

EDIT: It also doesn't remember settings for me. For example: If I use advance task killer to close it, the next time I open it it asks me all over again if I'd like to set limits and my settings have all reverted back to default.

So I guess I'm not the only one with this problem. Do any advanced users know why the settings aren't sticking? Is it a permissions issue?

slinky1914

Oct 22, 2009
SW Oklahoma City
MyTouch Slide fail

well guys followed the instructions and removed old mms.apk, I made sure by adb shelling into the device and making sure it was gone. After that I left the phone connected downloaded the new mms.apk, put it on the SD card, installed it. It installed successfully, but I hit open and force closed on me. If I send a text from chompsms from myself and the text shows up in the status bar. I can open messages from there and send a text but I cant go back to all the treads :( I know my phone isn't an Incredible but any help would be great. Thanks.

J

jdkoreclipse

well guys followed the instructions and removed old mms.apk, I made sure by adb shelling into the device and making sure it was gone. After that I left the phone connected downloaded the new mms.apk, put it on the SD card, installed it. It installed successfully, but I hit open and force closed on me. If I send a text from chompsms from myself and the text shows up in the status bar. I can open messages from there and send a text but I cant go back to all the treads :( I know my phone isn't an Incredible but any help would be great. Thanks.

mytouch slide, correct?

Sent from my Incredible using XDA App

mgavina23

Jul 28, 2010
Here is an installer zip I made.

Its not the same mms.apk, but one thats ~ half the size that I compiled a few months ago for a Moto Droid rom. It will delete the htc mms.apk for you as well. It retains the stock htc messaging icon.
i'm on the leaked froyo rom. i just installed your mms zip file. everything is working fine except one thing. i've noticed is that when i go into my contacts and click on their pic or on their name and select send a message it never automatically enters their name into the TO field. i have to type it in every time. is there a fix for that?

IceBone

Mar 4, 2009
First you unzip the archive on your computer, then you transfer the .apk to your phone and run it.