Anyone Else Tired of Their Desire Z/G2?

Search This thread

BootloopedMillennials

Dec 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Honestly not sure if its the phone or the OS Im tired of. Have been using my G2 for over a year, been using Android for the same amount of time (G2 was my first Android device). Lately I haven't been interested in trying any ROMs, none have really peaked my interest to be honest due to the little issues in them. Not sure what I should do from here......

End of small rant.:eek:

Anyone else feel the same way or am I alone?

Reactions: captainreynolds

pulgoki

Mar 6, 2011
I still love the phone but I am definitely getting a little bored with it. Same as with most things. After so long of use, it feels like it is time for something new. ;)

shure2

Jun 24, 2008
I use MIUI and it seems the fastest and smoothest to me (probably as good as you can get on the hardware), so getting bored I try other ROMs but they aren't as smooth so I go back to MIUI. I think ICS might spice things up for a little while l, but I think an upgrade might help.

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using xda premium

Jonny4911

Jan 28, 2009
London
i wasn't bored of it, i was simply tired of the lag, missed messages and genrally just the lack of RAM.

i took the plunge and moved to the desire HD (couldnt afford anything newer)
and i notice the difference in ram immediately, there are LOADS more apps open at once now, and everything just generally feels snappier. and even with all my apps open i have 100mb+ ram left, constantly,

it's a shame that the DZ didnt have more ram, because otherwise i think i could've stuck with it for so much longer.

Android_Monsters

Feb 2, 2012
Los Angeles
I still use mine all the time. I have ICS on it. And with supercharger it's plenty fast. And I can text sweet things to my gf much easier and quicker using the keyboard. That being said get a hercules and rock both.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Last edited:

WTF?

Oct 13, 2011
USA
Sure - I would be happy to buy a new phone, just as soon as you can invent a phone that has the G2's reliability, developer support, style, at least as good of a real keyboard, display quality, and make sure it works with T-mobile so I can have unlimited everything, including wifi hotspot, free tethering and free wifi calling, and no overage charges possible for only $60/month no-contract! :eek:

Yeah, that's what I thought, the G2 has no upgrade that can be made, because it is the best phone/carrier combo out there!

But I do wish there was a magical way to have the reception in rural area and LTE deep building penetration that I envy on Verizon (but I don't envy paying nearly $200/month for the features listed above!)

Reactions: mayurolla

Athrun88

Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Still love my phone since the day I got it. Reliable and tough, stylish and sleek. I do look forward to an upgrade, but it's not something that i'm set my heart to. Can't really beat the DZ =)

Reactions: tarroyo

otariq

Feb 17, 2012
g2 has been an awesome phone especially for my first Android phone but I can't wait for the next g series or maybe I'll try out the gnex. Contracts not up till October so hopefully there'll be something cool out then

wiswis

Aug 17, 2011
After a year of using something u naturally get bored of it but if ur that boored of it try getting a mytouch4gslide

Sent from my Htc Doubleshot running ICS

Not bored,

I recently tried a few things to give my G2 a different look and feel. Here's what I have:

meXdroidMod Atomic ROM -- been using meXdroidMod for awhile now
GO Launcher EX ICS theme -- cool screen transitions, my favorite is sphere
GO Locker -- ICS style, and I don't have date and time showing
GO SMS Pro -- I have had this for awhile
GO Weather -- besides HD video background, I like the Temperature Trend among some of the other features

With a couple of apps and also creating shortcuts to access them easily and quickly, i find my G2 very useful and not boring. Now if only I had a bigger screen...

alpha-niner64

Mar 7, 2011
I never understood this emotion where people get bored of things and feel the need to get the newest stuff. To me, the G2 is a solid device and the only time I would ever think of changing is out of necessity: not so much boredom. If I needed a faster GPU or a larger screen or better speakers and so forth: I can definitely understand the decision then because you have a practical purpose for the future device. But to be bored of a device and wanting to upgrade for no other reason because of it is exactly what companies want you to do. convolution put it best, "consumerism", but I would also add the word "affluence" as well.

RushAOZ

Mar 9, 2008
Sure - I would be happy to buy a new phone, just as soon as you can invent a phone that has the G2's reliability, developer support, style, at least as good of a real keyboard, display quality, and make sure it works with T-mobile so I can have unlimited everything, including wifi hotspot, free tethering and free wifi calling, and no overage charges possible for only $60/month no-contract! :eek:

Yeah, that's what I thought, the G2 has no upgrade that can be made, because it is the best phone/carrier combo out there!

But I do wish there was a magical way to have the reception in rural area and LTE deep building penetration that I envy on Verizon (but I don't envy paying nearly $200/month for the features listed above!)

Lol you must be delusional. This is a great phone, but as soon as I find a nexus s I'm going back. Not only is the phone faster in both the CPU and gpu department, the wolfson sound chip is a god send for music lovers (the g2 can't power my 120$ Sony earbuds and as a result aren't as loud/bass cuts out at low frequencies) , you can't beat the samoled screen (after a little tweaking with voodoo colors it gives a better pq than my 40" ex400) and to top it off ics is smooth as a gyroscope. I can't tell a difference scrolling around home screens and menus compared to my buddies gnex. Dev support is off the charts. IMO the nexus s is the device to have over a gnex or gs2.

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

RushAOZ

Mar 9, 2008
Lol you must be delusional. This is a great phone, but as soon as I find a nexus s I'm going back. Not only is the phone faster in both the CPU and gpu department, the wolfson sound chip is a god send for music lovers (the g2 can't power my 120$ Sony earbuds and as a result aren't as loud/bass cuts out at low frequencies) , you can't beat the samoled screen (after a little tweaking with voodoo colors it gives a better pq than my 40" ex400) and to top it off ics is smooth as a gyroscope. I can't tell a difference scrolling around home screens and menus compared to my buddies gnex. Dev support is off the charts. IMO the nexus s is the device to have over a gnex or gs2.

Ill tell you what though. This battery life is AMAZING. Running ilwt cm7 @1.3 ghz ondemand with backround data on.
uploadfromtaptalk1330440753025.jpg

Critical Jeff

Jan 20, 2011

truth, it must be quoted. I've yet to see a newer phone with all the qualities I want in a phone. I'm extremely lucky that I got this phone with my family's contract, I had no idea of the developer support behind it when I did choose it.

michuo

Nov 30, 2011
G2 is my first android device too. And also one year I have been using it. I love my G2 just because it my "first time". I've tried almost every Rom from xda. And now using sense 3.5. But, frankly speaking, I'm considering t buy a new better one.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

alpha-niner64

Mar 7, 2011

Wow, that audio chip intrigues me. I primarily use my phone as a music player at the gym and I like my music loud. However I get distortion when I try to adjust the frequencies past a certain point. Is this Wolfson chip a solution?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's called "consumerism". Just use your DZ till it dies of a natural death >.>
    Honestly not sure if its the phone or the OS Im tired of. Have been using my G2 for over a year, been using Android for the same amount of time (G2 was my first Android device). Lately I haven't been interested in trying any ROMs, none have really peaked my interest to be honest due to the little issues in them. Not sure what I should do from here......

End of small rant.:eek:

Anyone else feel the same way or am I alone?

Still love my phone since the day I got it. Reliable and tough, stylish and sleek. I do look forward to an upgrade, but it's not something that i'm set my heart to. Can't really beat the DZ =)
    Wow, that audio chip intrigues me. I primarily use my phone as a music player at the gym and I like my music loud. However I get distortion when I try to adjust the frequencies past a certain point. Is this Wolfson chip a solution?

Yes believe be it is. With voodoo sound app you can push the sound chip another 15 decibels past what Sammy sets it at stock. So you can power low impebdance high quality buds or cans with audio quality thats crystal clear. Don't get me wrong the g2 isn't a piece of crap, but for me its just "good enough". The wolfson chip has introduced many sounds and effects laid in the background music I've never heard before. The wolfson dac is in all of the galaxy s phones btw. Not sure about the gnex.