[Nook HD+] Nook HD and HD+ rooting instructions (now permanent)

Search This thread

MortgMan

Oct 28, 2010
Most certainly does... and I'm a novice. Only rooted device was a Samsung Captivate from few years ago. Now i have iPhone and iPad Jailbroken and my wife's Nook HD is now rooted running Google App Store.:good:

Still cannot get Amazon App store to allow install.:crying:

Anyone tested to root Nook HD on version 2.0.4?

Duscrom

Sep 18, 2007
Alright, I think I have a problem, but please be gentle. I'm running Windows 8, and try as I might, I just can NOT get ADB working. I've installed android SDK, I've installed Nook SDK, I've friend installing drivers... And the script keeps saying ADB is an Unrecognized command. This makes little sense to me as I used the same machine to Root both a galaxy nexus and a Nexus 7. What am I missing? What directory should I put this stuff in?

Edit: okay, I'm an idiot.. Just after posting this I figured it out. .. If my error was that it couldn't find ADB... I should just show it where ADB is.

Last edited:

HiddenG

Nov 5, 2011
Manchester
Alright, I think I have a problem, but please be gentle. I'm running Windows 8, and try as I might, I just can NOT get ADB working. I've installed android SDK, I've installed Nook SDK, I've friend installing drivers... And the script keeps saying ADB is an Unrecognized command. This makes little sense to me as I used the same machine to Root both a galaxy nexus and a Nexus 7. What am I missing? What directory should I put this stuff in?

Edit: okay, I'm an idiot.. Just after posting this I figured it out. .. If my error was that it couldn't find ADB... I should just show it where ADB is.
Are you sure? Have you figured it out? No problem, haha. No, of course you're not an idiot. We all make mistakes haha.

Hope it all works out for you. ;)

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
Congrats on this. If you want any help with anything be sure to let me know. \m/ Also the file for bootcount is called: /bootdata/BootCnt on the Nook tablet. I'd assume it's the same on the HD / HD+

destinydmm

Jul 11, 2008
Orlando, FL
I am seeing a lot of folks with difficulty in connecting to the Nook HD via adb even after installing the Android SDK and drivers. It is important that the adb_usb.ini file contain the appropriate device ID for the Nook (as shown below) in my file (this file can be found in the "Users>Your Name>.android" directory" and it must contain the 0x2080 which is the Nook ID - mine did NOT have this even after installing the drivers (Win 7 x64). Fortunately, the file is easily edited with Notepad. After I did this and rebooted I have had NO issues whatsoever connecting via adb (you can use the command adb devices to check) and can easily sideload apk's.

# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
0x2080

Is the info above what needs to be written/added to the android "dir?" If so, what should it be saved as?

tech6

Nov 20, 2011
roblems with 2.05 Update?

BN apparently just did an update to 2.05. It looks as though they removed access to the browser. I can't find the icon on my device. If by chance I should try to acess the Internet it says I don't have permission to do so. I still have access to Amazon and Google Playstore and all the apps I added, but can't get to the browser.

I also blocked the update on my device, but apparently it didn't work. Anyone having the same problems?

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
BN apparently just did an update to 2.05. It looks as though they removed access to the browser. I can't find the icon on my device. If by chance I should try to acess the Internet it says I don't have permission to do so. I still have access to Amazon and Google Playstore and all the apps I added, but can't get to the browser.

I also blocked the update on my device, but apparently it didn't work. Anyone having the same problems?

Yes, they have figured a way to bypass the OTA block. It you can get root again by going to my HD+ CWM root thread linked in my signature.

Have not experienced the browser block.

Sent from my Nook HD+ Running CM10 on SD

Reactions: tech6

lkmiller

Mar 27, 2010

I know some people were having trouble accessing BN apps and books after the update. Try going to the BN Home and click your name at the top, Edit Profiles, your profile, Manage content. Scroll down to Apps and make sure Browser is checked. Click save. Alternatively you can download another browser from the Play store.

tech6

Nov 20, 2011
That worked. When I went there all of the apps were unchecked. When accessing the email app before performing your suggestion, it would show an error message stating that it was not installed. After placing check marks in all 8 apps they are now working including the browser! It reappeared after placing the check mark in the box and I also did a restart to make sure all of the apps would show up.

That was a really simple fix. Now, I need to get re-rooted without having to reset my device to factory. I like the 2.05 update, but I don't like that it knocked out my root!

Thanks IK. I appreciate the tip. :)

I know some people were having trouble accessing BN apps and books after the update. Try going to the BN Home and click your name at the top, Edit Profiles, your profile, Manage content. Scroll down to Apps and make sure Browser is checked. Click save. Alternatively you can download another browser from the Play store.

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

If I get re-rooted will I need to re-install SQEditor, superuser etc.? Will still need to make any changes to the DBs?

Yes, they have figured a way to bypass the OTA block. It you can get root again by going to my HD+ CWM root thread linked in my signature.

Have not experienced the browser block.

Sent from my Nook HD+ Running CM10 on SD

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
That worked. When I went there all of the apps were unchecked. When accessing the email app before performing your suggestion, it would show an error message stating that it was not installed. After placing check marks in all 8 apps they are now working including the browser! It reappeared after placing the check mark in the box and I also did a restart to make sure all of the apps would show up.

That was a really simple fix. Now, I need to get re-rooted without having to reset my device to factory. I like the 2.05 update, but I don't like that it knocked out my root!

Thanks IK. I appreciate the tip. :)

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

If I get re-rooted will I need to re-install SQEditor, superuser etc.? Will still need to make any changes to the DBs?

Rerooting will reinstall superuser, and any other apps you had installed before the update should still be there. You may have to check the DB to make sure they are set the way you want them.

Sent from my HD+ rooted stock using Tapatalk

fongher10

Jun 12, 2007
Software updated to 2.0.6 tonight. I just bought the Nook HD+ so hoping someone can confirm instructions are okay for the new version.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Software updated to 2.0.6 tonight. I just bought the Nook HD+ so hoping someone can confirm instructions are okay for the new version.
This thread will no longer work on versions higher than 2.0.4. Go to my HD/HD+ CWM thread linked in my signature.

Sent from my rooted stock Nook HD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to root Nook HD+ (and Nook HD too, I guess).
    (Thanks for some useful ideas to sparkym3: http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=4411543 )

(tested only on 2.0.0 version (as comes out of the box), also works on 2.0.2

Get one of the attached files: root_win.zip if you are on windows, or root_unix.tgz if you are on Linux or Mac.

unpack the file to some dir and run "makeroot" on Windows or "sh makeroot.sh" on Mac/Linux

After a couple of reboots you should be able to do
    adb shell and issue a "su" command in the shell and get the root prompt (#).

Thanks to someone0 for his prior investigations here.

Known bugs:
    Superuser.apk does not really install because package manager could not be contacted.

Oh, and I think you'll find this interesting too:
    CWM is now possible too.

I am back from the conference and can play this stuff again ;)

So I think I figured out how the thing detects it has been tampered with.
    In the root of the ramdisk there is a /manifest file that contans a list of all files in /system and their checksums.
    init reads the file and then verifies every file in /system to match the recorded checksum. Missing file is ok too.
    Having any files not in the list or a file whose checksum does not match = reboot right away (unless ro.secure is set to 0).
    Good news is that it only cares about files, so you can create directories and symlinks freely.

Since hacking bootloader to circumvent ramdisk security check just for rooting is overkill, I guess the best solution for now will be to use a method somewhat similar to method by someone0 and a symlink from /system/xbin/su to a real su somewhere (sadly there's nothing but /system mounted without nosuid option, so no easy way to place su on e.g. /data and symlink there).
    That's going to be a very fragile root, though.

I have some thoughts on how to better defeat this, but we'll see what's B&N approach going to be wrt fixing the existing holes first before showing them other holes, I guess.
    hey how do you get nooktools installed to the system/app? i have the .apk installed via adb but when i copy the apk to /system/app it just force closes.
    You should not have adb installed it first. You need to uninstall the app from your device using settings. Make sure you do not have it in /system/app, then reboot to clear things. Then put the app in /system/app and look for it in your launcher. Then do the unknown sources thing, then remove from /system/app and you should be good. I later reinstalled it to use the hidden settings part of the app. It only needs to be in /system for the unknown sources fix.

And you should ask this question in only one thread.

Sent from my Nook HD+ using Tapatalk
    recovery is signed, so it's not super easy to replace it with anything that would run.
    The unsigned bootloader trick at the moment requires a boot from sdcard.