[Q] Problems Using HDMI to AV Converter

Search This thread

userr12

Apr 19, 2007
Rotterdam
Hey guys...

I've bought a Fire TV to setup a easy to use XBMC based streaming device for my father in law, he does not have a HD TV yet so I had to find a way to convert the HDMI to RCA.

I've bought this converter, but it's giving me multiple issues, since we have root now I was hoping there was a way to fix these issues.
http://www.dx.com/p/playvision-hdv-...FuIVP5QJEdbgJkLvoj-ZI0Osx3Xw_wcB#.U6DPePldVKc

The Fire TV won't pass by startup screen when it is booted with HDMI connected to Converter (problem with HDCP handshake?)
When I boot the FTV with HDMI connected directly to my own HD TV it loads fine, removing the HDMI from my TV plugging it into the converter will push video through the RCA cable but images is black and white and distorted.

Does anybody have any experience with this ? Would downscaling to 480 help if possible ? or does anybody know another solution to get this working on a older TV ?

Thanks in advance....

Edit:
Looks like http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=334644 made a fix for some Samsung devices with a similar Snapdragon 600 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2621550

Not sure if that would be something that could be adapted for use on the Fire TV though.

Last edited:

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
It's going to be a challenge, because the copyright police are all over HDMI and what can cannot be output from HDMI.

I see a very few HDMI to analog video output devices. I'd expect to pay about 50-60 bucks for a good one.

I'm picking that price because it's what Monoprice charges (more or less) for a box that takes HDMI in and outputs HDMI and audio over RCA jacks. You basically need a video DAC!

The other option would be to move to a Sony or similar smart tv, one that has both Netflix and Prime built in. Granted it's more expensive to do but your dad may well find it worth the simplicity. At our house we currently have remotes for the Fire, the TV, the bluray player and the preamp. I can manage most of it from the IR blaster on the tablet, the glaring exception being the Amazon box which uses Bluetooth, won't pair with the tablet and actually works better with not just a remote but keyboard to boot.

It's a giant PITA for the uninitiated.

Last edited:
Reactions: userr12

Nomedias

Jun 3, 2010
Userr12, I think I have the same adapter, here is the one I bought.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FO7PQA/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually have the Fire TV connected to an HDMI splitter, one port goes my main HD TV, the other to the HDMI2AV adapter linked above. An interesting side effect is when I turn off the HD TV the second output cuts out for 2-4 seconds, then comes back.

That said, when I initially setup my Fire TV, I tried an HDMI to DVI cable on a Dell monitor to see what would happen, but couldn't get through the setup. Direct HDMI was the only way I could get the intro video to show. Not sure why.

Sent from my TouchPad using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: userr12

userr12

Apr 19, 2007
Rotterdam
I've played around with the unit a bit more and it's actually working :)

I was using a old LCD TV I have laying around but realized there is also a RCA input on my HD TV, when I use this input in combination with the converter it works, I will have to try this still on my father in laws TV, but the FTV to RCA/Composite works at least on some TV's

The image quality is doable, the color of the menu's in FTV and XBMC are a little flat and pixelated, video is more clear though, think the quality looks like what should be expected from a analog display.
Sound works fine, although I used a different USB power source to power the converter, I think there might be a power delay (or something else funky) happening with the USB port on the FTV, creating a nasty static, this static did interfere with the video image as well. (creating some distortion what seems to be running at the same Hz)

Attachments

• FireTV_scr_HDMI_to_RCA_1.jpg
    FireTV_scr_HDMI_to_RCA_1.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 1,487
  • FireTV_scr_HDMI_to_RCA_2.jpg
    FireTV_scr_HDMI_to_RCA_2.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 1,498
  • FireTV_scr_HDMI_to_RCA_3.jpg
    FireTV_scr_HDMI_to_RCA_3.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 1,507
  • FireTV_scr_HDMI_to_RCA_4.jpg
    FireTV_scr_HDMI_to_RCA_4.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 1,312
  • FireTV_scr_HDMI_to_RCA_5.jpg
    FireTV_scr_HDMI_to_RCA_5.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 1,308

betterpluse

Mar 13, 2016
According to my experience, iDealshare VideoGo is the best one to Convert Amazon Fire TV unsupported WAV, FLAC, AIFF etc to Amazon Fire TV supported AAC or MP3.

xdama1

Nov 16, 2016
I used a converter made by Bleiden, which I got on Amazon. The Amazon sku is B01MQGHNAR (just search in amazon or google for that and you'll find it).

I had to buy an HDMI cable to connect my Fire TV to the converter, but the converter itself worked without any problem. There were no restrictions on what I could or couldn't play. No video distortion, other than what you'd expect watching a 16:9 picture on a 4:3 TV.

Nov 20, 2018
Hdmi to av convertor for amazon fire stick fix

use a 5v usb adapter with twin ports plug in both amazon fire stick and the Hdmi to the same adapter,now your amazon fire stick will work fine

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's going to be a challenge, because the copyright police are all over HDMI and what can cannot be output from HDMI.

I see a very few HDMI to analog video output devices. I'd expect to pay about 50-60 bucks for a good one.

I'm picking that price because it's what Monoprice charges (more or less) for a box that takes HDMI in and outputs HDMI and audio over RCA jacks. You basically need a video DAC!

The other option would be to move to a Sony or similar smart tv, one that has both Netflix and Prime built in. Granted it's more expensive to do but your dad may well find it worth the simplicity. At our house we currently have remotes for the Fire, the TV, the bluray player and the preamp. I can manage most of it from the IR blaster on the tablet, the glaring exception being the Amazon box which uses Bluetooth, won't pair with the tablet and actually works better with not just a remote but keyboard to boot.

It's a giant PITA for the uninitiated.
    Userr12, I think I have the same adapter, here is the one I bought.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FO7PQA/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually have the Fire TV connected to an HDMI splitter, one port goes my main HD TV, the other to the HDMI2AV adapter linked above. An interesting side effect is when I turn off the HD TV the second output cuts out for 2-4 seconds, then comes back.

That said, when I initially setup my Fire TV, I tried an HDMI to DVI cable on a Dell monitor to see what would happen, but couldn't get through the setup. Direct HDMI was the only way I could get the intro video to show. Not sure why.

Sent from my TouchPad using XDA Premium HD app