[GUIDE] How To Root HBOOT 1.01

Search This thread

Neardood1

Aug 9, 2011
Perth
It says no device connected when i try to run part 2 in the downgrading bootlader section. Anyone know anyway to make it work? Also, while running part one it has an id verification error as well.

Neardood1

Aug 9, 2011
Perth
Help

Hey in the second tut on how to downgrade, when i run the part 2 script on my windows 7 (64bit) machine it comes up with errors saying the device isn't connected (which there is no doubt it is). Anyone know any way to fix it?:confused:

blufmaster

Feb 7, 2007
hi guys here is my device info android version 2.2 hboot 1.01 and wana root it i maded gold card but in next step while run crackin.bat via cmd am stuck there i ll attach error msg here. any help ll be apriciated

regards

jrask

Jan 20, 2008
What could be wrong when in the 3rd stage when running "step1-windows.bat" it just hangs on "Writing 'zip'...."? The phone in downgraded to 1.31, made goldcard manually and with the windows softaware from modaco, and formatted it FAT32. How log does the "Writing 'zip'...." stage usually take? The phone shows the black screen with HTC logo.

blubbhome

May 1, 2010
Lyon
Hello

I just tried to root my Wife's HTC Legend and now the phone does not boot anymore :(
At the beginning I had HBoot 1.00 + Froyo Vodafone 3.14
I first created my goldcard.

I then followed the procedure and flashed testimage.zip.
It works fine and I was able to boot my phone after these steps.
I got an unbranded phone - no more vodafone :)
I then tried to apply firmware.zip with my goldcard (I renammed firmware.zip with LEGEIMG.zip).

It works fine but now my phone does not boot anymore.
The green HTC logo appears for 15 seconds then black screen then green HTC Logo the black screen
It loops indefinitively :(

Any idea to get my phone back ?
Thanks in advance

[UPDATE] I found the solution by myself
My wife's legend is back :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok guys I noticed a lot of people are getting stuck with this myself included and for me it was because the information I needed was fragmented all over the place, So here is all the information that I used some parts have been edited to fit the purpose of rooting 1.01 as there is no definative guide at the minute.

1st thing to do is make a goldcard even if you already have a working goldcard make it again mine was working for other phones but wouldnt work for this.

All credit for the goldcard guide goes to BlaY0

Here are few easy steps on how to make Goldcard without taking it out of your phone but you have to be root (VISIONary temproot is fine).

You will be doing this from command prompt:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    First you need to find out sdcard's CID:
    Code:
    cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:*/cid
    ...copy it into text box on http://hexrev.soaa.me/. Now go to http://psas.revskills.de/?q=goldcard and put in the reversed CID you have got on previous web page. Push goldcard.img to your phone via 2nd command prompt:
    Code:
    adb push goldcard.img /data/local/
    ...unmount sdcard via Settings, go back to 1st command prompt and make a backup then make goldcard:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 count=1 of=/data/local/sdcard_backup.img
    cat /data/local/goldcard.img > /dev/block/mmcblk0
    sync
    exit
    You may also pull that backup to your PC:
    Code:
    adb pull /data/local/sdcard_backup.img .

The 2nd guide you will need to use is also by BlaY0

Preface
    Because there are too many ppl without any knowledge spreading false findings and statements I decided to write this HOWTO.

Audience
    This HOWTO is primarily ment for those who already have rooted Legends but they recently experienced problems flashing CM's or new Vodafone FroYo boot.img.

Background
    HBOOT is like a BIOS in our PCs and to cut a long story short it also contains partition table for phone's internal storage. That means it has info on where exactly certain partition starts and how big it is.

At HTC they decided to partition Legend's internal storage this way:
    1. misc 640 kB
    2. recovery 4,375 MB
    3. boot 2,5 MB
    4. system 240 MB
    5. cache 40 MB
    6. data 185 MB
    ...but as we found out (first with CM nightly) boot partition was a little short for the boot.img to fit in if we had one or more bad cells (sectors) on it. Eventually we found out that quite some Legend's had bad cell on boot partition and those unfortunate souls that owned such phone were unable to upgrade to Vodafone FroYo rooted ROM too.

I think that HTC also recognized that Legend's boot partition was kinda small so they rearanged partition table in HBOOT 1.00 a bit making boot partition bigger (now it is 3 MB) by shrinking recovery partition a little.

So now we know that some of us actually need HBOOT 1.00 in order to flash FroYo's boot.img without a problem. But how do we keep root then?

Prerequirements
    • Android SDK (primarily adb)
    • working USB drivers (for adb to work)
    • goldcard (in case you are trying to flash ROMs with different CID than your phone has)
    • ClockWorkMod recovery (if your Legend is already rooted)

Rerequirements

Instructions
    I will split instructions into two parts... for already rooted phones and phones that were already updated with Vodafone OTA thus they lost root.

Already OTA updated with HBOOT 1.00
    That one is relatively easy. You could also follow Paul's guide but I like my approach better ;)
    Connect your phone to your PC. Second you have to install VISIONary r13 into your phone and do the "temproot" procedure. After a successful "temproot" you should be able to adb shell and then su. Fire up command prompt and issue:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    ...you should have root privileges now (showing #). Next thing is backing up misc partition and replacing it with one from hack4legend-v5.zip. Extract this zip somewhere and fire another command promt there. Now you should upload flash_image binary and misc1-2.img:
    Code:
    adb push flash_image /data/local/
    adb push misc1-2.img /data/local/
    ...switch back to 1st command prompt and change permission of flash_image_binary:
    Code:
    chmod 755 /data/local/flash_image
    ...and backup your current misc partition:
    Code:
    cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/misc_backup.img
    Now flash misc1-2.img:
    Code:
    /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/misc1-2.img
    exit
    ...and you are set to downgrade retaining HBOOT 1.00.
    Unzip r4-legend-root.zip and find testimage.zip in it. Put it on your phone's sdcard renaming it to LEGEIMG.zip. You can then reboot into bootloader issuing:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    ...from command prompt. Phone will reboot and find LEGEIMG.zip on your sdcard, copy it into RAM and check it. If you get CID error at this point, then you don't have goldcard. Make your sdcard gold and try again. After successful flash and reboot you may remove LEGEIMG.zip from sdcard. Next step is upgrading of rooted FroYo ROM. Put FroYo update ROM zip to your sdcard and install it via ClockworkMod recovery. You may also flash backed up misc partition after that. Still in recovery mode and hooked with your PC switch to command prompt and restore it back:
    Code:
    adb shell
    flash_image misc /sdcard/misc_backup.img
    exit
    ...and reboot.

So by now you will be on an unrooted Eclair rom. The third guide I used was by David Cogen

David Cogen said:
    I. Before You Begin

1. YOU MUST BE ON VERSION 1.31 IN ORDER TO ROOT THE LEGEND, IF YOU ARE NOT YOU CAN DOWNGRADE USING THIS PROCEDURE.

2. This will erase all the data on your phone so please at least sync your contacts with Google before continuing.

3. You must have HTC Sync version 2.0.33, not a newer version. Uninstall HTC Sync and install this version instead.

1. Download the Rooting Tools

Legend Rooting Tools

2. Unzip them to the C: drive on your computer (so the file path is C:\r4-legend-root\)

3. Turn off your phone and turn it back on by holding down Back and Power until you see Fastboot come up on the screen. Push the Power button while highlighting Fastboot on the phone and Fastboot should show up in red now on the phone (if it doesn’t push Power again until it does).

4. Plug the phone in via USB cable to the computer.

5. Open the folder you extracted to the C drive and double click “step1-windows.bat” and wait for it to finish.

6. Once you see the menu on the phone come back up, navigate to BOOTLOADER and push power, then navigate to RECOVERY using the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select and the phone should boot to the ! screen.

7. Now on the computer double click the “step2-windows.bat” file and wait for it to finish. (UPDATE 12.13.10 – You MUST have HTC Sync version 2.0.33 not a newer version for step2 to work. Please uninstall HTC Sync and download and install this version instead, unplug then plug your phone back in, then rerun step2-windows.bat).

8. Now you should see a custom recovery screen, using the optical trackpad navigate to Wipe and push on the trackpad to select it. Then navigate to Wipe data/factory reset and select that.

9. Once that is done, push volume down to go back to the main menu and select Flash zip from sdcard and select the rootedupdate.zip file and wait for it to flash. All done, you have root access and can use any root required app! Enjoy!
    IV. Load a Custom ROM etc (Optional)

1. Head over to our How To Load a Custom ROM on the HTC Legend procedure and continue with that to load custom ROMs and other fun stuff!

Thanks to Paul at Modaco for his awesome scripts!

By now you should have HBOOT 1.01 with a rooted Ecclair ROM and Clockwork Recovery Mod So you can flash any custom rom that you like although I would recommend you try B 0.2

If you use this guide, you do so at your own risk.
    You should be able to use it.

Sent from my HTC Legend using XDA App
    When you flash the testimage in part 2 of the guide you have an unrooted eclair rom. After that you can start with the step2.bat because everything what is done in step1.bat was done before at the hboot part. The step2.bat patches your eclair rom so it is rooted. After that the clockwork recovery can be used to flash a new rom
    So by now you will be on an unrooted Eclair rom...."

]

This statement reffers to the next set of instructions, which are not for you. As I understand you already have Froyo rom installed. And if you want to root it just follow the instructions for Already OTA updated with HBOOT 1.00. This is the exact process! What else you don't understand??
    Thanks for this guide and the many follow up posts which have helped me understand what I needed to do to root my phone (stock Froyo, firmware 3.15 and HBOOT 1.01).

I'll summarise what worked for me - which isn't exactly the steps written in the guide. Like other posters I found some confusing bits which don't apply - thanks to ThauExodus for pointing out the correct steps in this situation.

After creating a goldcard, I followed the 2nd guide up to the flashing of LEGEIMG.zip (testimage.zip). BTW, after running 'adb reboot bootloader', I had to select the BOOTLOADER option with the power button to put the phone into FASTBOOT at which point LEGEIMG.zip is scanned for and found. (Unlike other posters I didn't have to remove the .zip extension from the file name...)

After a successful flash, I had an unrooted eclair rom with firmware 1.31 and HBOOT 1.01. I skipped the following step 'upgrading of rooted FroYo ROM' and went directly to step 7 in the 3rd guide which is to run the batch file 'step2-windows.bat'. This does the deed and patches the eclair rom so it is rooted.

What tripped me up was remembering to re-mount my SD card after copying files between my pc and phone. Otherwise it all looks too easy now! ;)