NORDICTRACK ELITE 9500 PRO Treadmill w/ 10" Android Tablet

Search This thread

toddpope

Feb 13, 2023
Thank you Wispet for your insights!

Yes, I have attempted to connect a USB keyboard to the host port on the tablet to interrupt the startup process, but no keys , any function key, CTRL-C, etc appear to have an effect.

On this console, there is no reset hole/button available, near the USB port or anywhere on the tablet (it has been removed from the console, and case removed in search of the reset button, no luck.

I have tried ADB as well, but it seems to rely on the setting configuration on the Android device, which is not possible as it is stuck in an upgrade loop, hence no device is listed from ADB.

Concerning an alternate to using using the Android tablet to control the motors, I was not considering something so elaborate as Pi, Arduino or another microcontroller. Based on the wiring diagram found inside the base unit cover, the control signals are fairly basic in nature. The incline is controlled by a 5V pulse for up/down on two lines, and the motor speed is controlled via PWM signal. I was just going to create a small PWM circuit using a linear 555 chip.

Attachments

• NordicTrackElite9500ProWiring.jpg
    NordicTrackElite9500ProWiring.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Another problem is android adb, is when I connect to PC we need the manufacturer specific drivers and this tablet maker icon doesn't provide or publish any.
That's not much of a problem actually.
You can look what the VID/PID is and add it to a copy of the stock "Google" drivers.
You'll have to enable it as an unsigned driver.

If you want, you can also just use Zadig (a generic driver installer).
Then you'll need a patched adb.exe and fastboot.exe.

Edit: I don't think that you'll be happy with a 555.
I think that you really have to do some speed regulation using the tach output (Hall effect) coming back.

Last edited:

wispet

Feb 6, 2023
Thank you Wispet for your insights!

Yes, I have attempted to connect a USB keyboard to the host port on the tablet to interrupt the startup process, but no keys , any function key, CTRL-C, etc appear to have an effect.

On this console, there is no reset hole/button available, near the USB port or anywhere on the tablet (it has been removed from the console, and case removed in search of the reset button, no luck.

I have tried ADB as well, but it seems to rely on the setting configuration on the Android device, which is not possible as it is stuck in an upgrade loop, hence no device is listed from ADB.

Concerning an alternate to using using the Android tablet to control the motors, I was not considering something so elaborate as Pi, Arduino or another microcontroller. Based on the wiring diagram found inside the base unit cover, the control signals are fairly basic in nature. The incline is controlled by a 5V pulse for up/down on two lines, and the motor speed is controlled via PWM signal. I was just going to create a small PWM circuit using a linear 555 chip.
My tablet 360526, it doesn't have a reset pin on the tablet itself but if you see my attached pics, it has a black and white wire going from the keys connector. This connections act as the power recycle/reset button.
When I press and hold it or short these two pins from 10 seconds, the screen flashes white and if I hit F1 or F2 repeatedly, it takes me to bios. (have to try it couple of times).

The sticker on my unit says, reset software included, but when I enter bios and put my bios to android boot, I dont see any other storage devices listed. (I think all my storage roms are damaged).
All I could do at this point is install a linux software.

So look for any pins like this which you may need to short to get it into the bios.

Attachments

• IMG_7580.jpg
    IMG_7580.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7583.jpg
    IMG_7583.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7581.jpg
    IMG_7581.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 42

wispet

Feb 6, 2023
That's not much of a problem actually.
You can look what the VID/PID is and add it to a copy of the stock "Google" drivers.
You'll have to enable it as an unsigned driver.

If you want, you can also just use Zadig (a generic driver installer).
Then you'll need a patched adb.exe and fastboot.exe.

Edit: I don't think that you'll be happy with a 555.
I think that you really have to do some speed regulation using the tach output (Hall effect) coming back.
Thanks, will try google drivers. I tried samsung but it didn't take it for this device.
Moreover, since I am booting from bios into android boot mode, Device manager only reports it as Intel Android. ADB doesn't even list it as a device.

toddpope

Feb 13, 2023
The tablet in the 9500 looks to be a Hannspree branded one, and the "keys" input cable is 10 conductor, not like the two conductor one 360526.

Concerning ADB, the instructions for use indicate that the Android device must have USB debugging enabled for it to function. The tablet in the 9500 will not boot, so configuring that setting is not possible, can ADB still communicate with it if I select another device driver?

Sadly, the tablet in my case does NOT have a sticker on it indicating that it can be restored to factory default, that would seem to align with the fact that there does not seem to be a reset button/hole anywhere on the device.

I have submitted a few support requests with Icon support to determine if a recovery SD card is even available any longer, but have not received a response.

Thank you Renate and Wispet for your suggestions.

toddpope

Feb 13, 2023
Downloaded the Android ADB platform tools to a Windows 10 PC and installed the generic Google USB driver, I could not find a specfic USB driver for Hannspree tablets.

At power on, the tablet does not register on the Windows device manager, even rescanning for devices does not report any new devices. Tried two different and known good mini USB cables to the host port on the tablet. Executing the adb devices command does not return any devices in the list.

Since a device is not reported in Windows device manager, there is no indication of a PID to be added to the driver config for generic USB driver install.

Since the Windows device manager does not even refresh when the tablet powers up, it seems like the tablet is not even initializing the USB port at power on.

Are there any other options? Thinking the tablet recovery is a lost cause and the only course of action is to build an alternate controller for the unit.

CountBlackadder

May 19, 2014
I was reading through this forum and saw what I needed but the links appear to be dead.

I have the NTL17010.1 treadmill (2011) and was trying to restore to factory settings to sell. There's no button physical or software and long story short I think I accidentally wiped the internal SD. Now the treadmill is somewhat useless - it can load into Android but is very glitchy (keyboard won't load for wifi), but as a treadmill it doesn't do much.

I saw someone had posted the recovery files - anybody have these I can use?

Almo022

Sep 9, 2023
I was reading through this forum and saw what I needed but the links appear to be dead.

I have the NTL17010.1 treadmill (2011) and was trying to restore to factory settings to sell. There's no button physical or software and long story short I think I accidentally wiped the internal SD. Now the treadmill is somewhat useless - it can load into Android but is very glitchy (keyboard won't load for wifi), but as a treadmill it doesn't do much.

I saw someone had posted the recovery files - anybody have these I can use?
Hi, how did you get on with this? I’m having the same Issue.

mrwebconnect

Dec 21, 2009
I thank all of you. I have a Elite 9500 Pro. It has been an on and off clothes hanger for years. The Mrs. went to use it a couple months ago and iFit was no longer functional. Between the hints here and on reddit I managed to get it running again tonight after a couple weeks of funntertainment. What I think....and I stress think...were the keys were....1. not cluttering the file system on the tablet with tools....the app needs space. 2. Install a version of the ifit app compatible with the device.

The battle on #2 was getting it there. I set up a web server on my home computer with no ssl so the expired certificate stuff was not a problem and then used the browser on the treadmill to download and install version 2.18.23 of the ifit app. I installed it directly from the browser and things seemed to work. Heck, it even updated itself....I am going to try and get that version off of it for recover latery

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So it turns out on the newest ones there's a very easy easy to get into it.

Go to the settings mode, go to maintenance - then in the spot below the options there is a bunch of grey space.

Tap the same spot 10 times.
    Wait 5-7 seconds
    Tap the same spot 10 more times.

It will then pop up that "privileged mode is enabled"

When you enable it, you can drag down from the top and get access to the menu bar and go into android settings. You can also swipe up from the bottom and get to the default apps - it has a browser, camera, ifit admin, and the ifit cardio.

USB debugging was already enabled for me as was unknown sources - I'm not sure if that's because I activated privileged mode or not.

You can pair Bluetooth devices with it from the settings - I think it only works to send OUT sounds - it would be nice if you could connect audio to it via Bluetooth (they added that in the latest models, mind still just has aux in)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Ok, it gets _even better_

after running nmap on my device's IP address, I saw it had 3 ports opened... 5009, 5555, 5000...

On a hunch, I decided to check if 5555 was setup for ADB in tcp mode... turns out it is.

`adb connect #.#.#.#:5555` (where the #'s are the IP address) works like a charm.

then `adb shell` - comes back with a _root shell_

`|root@byt_t_crv2:/ # `

I'm sure 5555 was open before I did the tapping-on-the-window thing, so it looks like these things _ship_ with TCP ADB enabled into a root shell for you.
    Got me a brand new NordicTrack Elliptical Commercial 14.9 (NTEL71517). Followed instructions, installed Smart Taskbar. Big thanks to whomever discovered this hack! Currently looking to tweak some of the built-in workout routines. Looks like they're all hosted on s3.amazonaws.com. I am guessing, however, that they should be downloaded/cached somewhere locally, as I cannot imagine one needs an internet connection to do one's workout. Any idea where these might be hosted locally?

Anyway, thank you all for your pioneering work! Someone should post a quick tutorial in the OP with steps on how to hack this machine. Here's a beginning:
    1. Turn on machine.
    2. Once you see ANDROID appear in the center of the screen, hold the menu button pressed ("the dashes button that is between the home and back buttons on the console") until you see "Unable to load widget" on the screen. This launches safe mode, hence bypasses the loading of the iFit application that steals focus.
    3. Go to settings, and enable side loading.
    4. Launch browser and download Smart Taskbar (or plug in a USB dongle containing the Smart Taskbar apk file to the USB port).
    5. Install Smart Taskbar.
    6. Reboot after installing Smart Taskbar.
    7. Allow normal boot up, no safe mode required. You'll notice the trademark Smart Taskbar arrow on the screen. Launch Smart Taskbar. You're in. Feel free to kill the iFit process to restore Android desktop.
    8. Next: root (how?) + install apps to USB dongle (how?). Someone else, please detail these steps.

Many thanks again!
    Sorry for resurrecting a zombie thread but I just wanted to say thanks.

My brand new X9i incline trainer is a whole lot more fun now. I got the Smart task bar installed. I just got Kindle up and running which was my primary reason for doing this. Next, maybe gapps to get Google music to stream? And maybe Nexflix and Amazon Video so wifey can watch her shows. More tinkering tomorrow.

Thanks guys!
    I bought a Freemotion 770 treadmill last week and upon setting it up, I came to realize that I can't access the Android desktop. I called ICON Fitness, (they own Nordic Trac, Freemotion and a plethora of other names), and after the rude customer "service" monkey registers my new machine, I ask her about how I can get to the desktop. She tells me to tap on the "gears" to change what I need to change. I again, tell her I'm trying to access the desktop. She tells me that I need to sign up for an ifit account before I can access the android desktop. :silly:

I start asking her how registering with an ifit account will allow me to get to the desktop. She of course has no clear answer. Again, tell her that I am trying to NOT use ifit and this is why I'm trying to stop it from loading (a little lie, but eh).

Then she tells me to "hit the little globe". I was surprised at how she knew I had a globe on my desk, but I hit it. It flew across the computer desk and I said "ok, I hit the globe, now what?"... silence on her end. I then said "What does the "globe" have to do with the android desktop? That's just the web browser... silence... She then tells me she has to put me on hold.

She comes back a few minutes later and AGAIN, she tries to tell me to "hit the gears if I want to calibrate the incline"... HUH? Once I realized I was getting nowhere, I finally asked her if she was in the retarded section of the call center. I then told her I wanted to speak with a supervisor. She tells me that I would have to call back. I asked her "Why, doesn't the retarded CS section you're in have a supervisor?"

We go a few more rounds and she finally tells me "There is no way to do that". I told her to forget it, I'll just find the info on the Internet. She tells me that she will note the serial number and void the warranty because I told her I was going to modify the treadmill. I told her to go right on ahead, I actually happen to have a good friend who is a Consumer Product attorney in Utah (These clowns are based out of Logan UT). I then bid her a good day and sincerely hoped she would do something to improve her brain cell count because as it stood, it was quite low. It seemed to be less than my 5 brain cells.

Anyways, now I've got it rooted and installed smart task bar. I can now access the Android Desktop through the Smart task bar app. Thanks to the people who suggested the apps.

adsbar - Alan, install the z4root and task bar app mentioned on page 2 while in safe mode. Then, reboot the treadmill and let it load ifit. You will notice a little arrow on the side on the screen. Tap it and viola! you will see your app menu. I haven't played with it much past that aside from verifying root and installing Root Explorer.

What a useless story that contributes nothing to the thread, but shows us all that you think you are pretty tough because you can call someone that didn't understand the intricacies of hacking Android a retard. I hope no one ever treats you the same way you treated this person. Let me be the first to say I am not impressed.