Car Charger Burnt My Phone!

Search This thread

Lopan12

Feb 21, 2010
Raleigh, NC
A quick fix for over heating in hot climiates would be a vent phone holder, and turn AC on. Its kind of a bobo approach, but it would work. Also I think having a case on is interfering with thermal transfer,..its insulating the phone and keeping some heat from being radiated away by the metal casing.

Very good point. Plastic is a very good insulator, where as the aluminum body is a very good conductor.
My phone holder happens to be close to the passenger sides vent, so I point it at the holder by default...

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

DeathmonkeyGTX

Oct 15, 2007
Little Rock, AR
Yessir, aluminum phone outside of a case with air vent pointed at it at close range, plugged into a 1.5a charger, can satnav and music all you want without overheating

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Just a thought. But, and this CAN actually happen....

You're really NOT supposed to use a phone while it's charging. That can cause overheating in both the device AND the charger.

I'm sorry but this is complete nonsense. Three reasons why I think this.

1) desktop charger-come-stands. Designed to keep your phone charged while still being able to use it.

2) satnav apps. Your phone is in use while the app is running and you're going to want to plug it in else have a flat battery by end of journey.

3) in car bluetooth calls. Most likely your phone will be on charge while your phone is taking/making that call.

I doubt it even says in any manuals you should not use your device while it's charging, given manufacturers of said devices also tend to make official desktop stands too.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: redpoint73

xxquicksh0txx

Jul 17, 2010
Akron, Ohio

1) desktop charger-come-stands. Designed to keep your phone charged while still being able to use it.

2) satnav apps. Your phone is in use while the app is running and you're going to want to plug it in else have a flat battery by end of journey.

3) in car bluetooth calls. Most likely your phone will be on charge while your phone is taking/making that call.

I doubt it even says in any manuals you should not use your device while it's charging, given manufacturers of said devices also tend to make official desktop stands too.

It's quite common sense that using very intensive apps and charging your phone at the same is bad for it. It'll overheat, which may not be bad for it every once in a while. But over time you're going to shorten the life span of your device.

A bluetooth phone call hardly requires any extra juice, and it's only going to last a minute.
Charging your phone while at home, you're not going to be using Google Maps + streaming music + utilizing every single sensor in the phone at the same time.

It's quite common sense that using very intensive apps and charging your phone at the same is bad for it. It'll overheat, which may not be bad for it every once in a while. But over time you're going to shorten the life span of your device.

A bluetooth phone call hardly requires any extra juice, and it's only going to last a minute.
Charging your phone while at home, you're not going to be using Google Maps + streaming music + utilizing every single sensor in the phone at the same time.

Right, and you don't think manufacturers take this in to consideration when they design a product?

I'm not denying that an electronic device won't heat up. But said device would have been subject to lengthy QC tests under every circumstance and situation numerous times. That's AFTER engineers have designed a product to NOT overheat and tweaked it before final build.

They're designed to heat up but they're also designed to dissipate heat as efficiently as possible.

Now, that is of course if you're adhering to manufacturer guidelines i.e. using AC adapter supplied or recommended and heading any advice about keeping device free of any obstruction.

You use a different battery or AC adapter or a case which hinders heat dissipation that is on the individual and is a plausible reason why device may heat up and damage.

Again nowhere in the manual for HTC ONE M8 does it say you should not use while charging. In fact I refer you to page 15 "charging the battery" where it actual states "while using the internet while charging device may heat up this is normal" or words to that affect.

ba7a9yva.jpg

In terms of recharging stuff, just think of it like your body. If you exert yourself, you will use up tons of extra energy. We replenish energy with (sleep and) food. Ignoring the first one, with food, yes we can still function while eating. But we should not be fully exerting ourselves while we eat. We would choke and die. Same thing with a phone. Just allow it to charge, and never make it do too much, because then you're just asking for trouble.

Nice analogy but it doesn't fit the topic of conversation really. This is more an analogy of the charging process. It does not apply to using device while on charge.

But I'll humour you.

I can eat an energy bar or drink an energy drink while I'm running on a treadmill. My body might not like that, but it'll deal with it.

xxquicksh0txx

Jul 17, 2010
Akron, Ohio
Right, and you don't think manufacturers take this in to consideration when they design a product?

I'm not denying that an electronic device won't heat up. But said device would have been subject to lengthy QC tests under every circumstance and situation numerous times. That's AFTER engineers have designed a product to NOT overheat and tweaked it before final build.

They're designed to heat up but they're also designed to dissipate heat as efficiently as possible.

Now, that is of course if you're adhering to manufacturer guidelines i.e. using AC adapter supplied or recommended and heading any advice about keeping device free of any obstruction.

You use a different battery or AC adapter or a case which hinders heat dissipation that is on the individual and is a plausible reason why device may heat up and damage.

Again nowhere in the manual for HTC ONE M8 does it say you should not use while charging. In fact I refer you to page 15 "charging the battery" where it actual states "while using the internet while charging device may heat up this is normal" or words to that affect.

ba7a9yva.jpg

I never said anything you claimed was wrong.

I agree that the phone getting hot is normal.
However, using the Internet to browse Web pages is a lot different and requires a lot less power than using Turn by Turn navigation whilst streaming at the same time with your car in the windshield.

It's kind of like taking your car to a track day. Cars are meant to get hot and dissipate excess heat.
However there only so much your radiator and brakes can take before you need to stop, and take a break..

However, using the Internet to browse Web pages is a lot different and requires a lot less power than using Turn by Turn navigation whilst streaming at the same time with your car in the windshield.

It's kind of like taking your car to a track day. Cars are meant to get hot and dissipate excess heat.
However there only so much your radiator and brakes can take before you need to stop, and take a break..

The problem is we're confusing common sense with manufacturer guidelines.

Yes, I agree that using common sense, should I be using my phone while it's charging and I noticed it getting worryingly hot, then I would stop using it.

However, there is nothing in the manufacturer guidelines which either make statements about not using it, or statements about 'applying common sense'.

Common sense is subjective and open to individual interpretation. If one user destroys his phone (which is honestly unlikely) from it overheating while using it whilst the battery was charging, they would complain to HTC and they would no doubt make a point of mentioning in their complaint that there is nothing in the manual which states you should not use the device whilst charging.

And HTC are unlikely to reply "you should have used common sense".

It doesn't really matter about how the phone is being used, whether it's internet browsing or sat nav. If the device was not designed to be used whilst on charge then HTC would have made mention of this in the manual. Given it's not mentioned, it's safe to assume that they tested it to death and it's highly unlikely to destroy your phone.

And I go back to my original reply. You can plug it in to a charging desktop stand and stream music over 4G whilst connected to your bluetooth headset and have the display on displaying album artwork. You can have GPS and 4G connections on whilst using a graphically intensive sat nav app downloading map data as you go and locking on to your location whilst on charge.

If you couldn't, if it was of enough concern to HTC, it would have been stated in the manual.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
I agree with Chris_c81 on this. Computers (which a smartphone is) are designed to withstand a lot of heat. The phone feeling "warm" to the touch, or even somewhat "hot" is not the type of temperature that is going to cause damage to the device. And if the temp ever reaches close to those that would cause damage, the phone will shutoff automatically (I suppose that part goes with the car at the racetrack analogy).

Yes, charging at warmer temperatures over the long run has a negative effect on battery life. But many of the common charging behaviors are less than ideal. The most common probably being that frequent top-off charges are ideal, but not possible a lot of the time. I've been doing many these things for as long as I've been using smartphones. 5 devices over the course of 7 years or so, and I've never had a battery fail during the time I've been on a particular device.

And charging while using Nav? You practically have to, if you are doing a long drive. Otherwise, your battery is going to be too low to do anything by the time you get to your destination. I also charge while using WiFi hotspot for similar reasons. If you don't charge while doing power-intensive activities, the phone isn't going to have any charge when you need it.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

But I'll humour you.

I can eat an energy bar or drink an energy drink while I'm running on a treadmill. My body might not like that, but it'll deal with it.

I'm with you on this, too. The analogy of the human body with a smartphone is a bit odd.

But even so, I rock climb and ice climb. Not constant high speed movement like a marathon runner, but very intensive, all day activities nonetheless. I can down some power bars of power gels and keep going, no problem. To not do so, would invite disaster (running out of power when you need it the most). There are other activities, like adventure racing and long distance biking (and others) where they do the same thing. Yes, you can't eat a cheeseburger while doing a dead spring. But you can down enough calories and carbs to keep your body going, while doing some of the activities I mentioned.

Reactions: Chris_c81
Jun 16, 2014
I love my m8 and I would be extremely upset with that situation. Its nice to see they replaced it for you. I would contact the manufacturer about the cable/charger. It may have been due to a bad shipment of product, especially since 99% of cell phone accessories are "made in" china. They may be able to mass produce it, but quality is horrible. Id try out other cables/chargers.

I agree with Chris_c81 on this. Computers (which a smartphone is) are designed to withstand a lot of heat. The phone feeling "warm" to the touch, or even somewhat "hot" is not the type of temperature that is going to cause damage to the device. And if the temp ever reaches close to those that would cause damage, the phone will shutoff automatically (I suppose that part goes with the car at the racetrack analogy).

Yes, charging at warmer temperatures over the long run has a negative effect on battery life. But many of the common charging behaviors are less than ideal. The most common probably being that frequent top-off charges are ideal, but not possible a lot of the time. I've been doing many these things for as long as I've been using smartphones. 5 devices over the course of 7 years or so, and I've never had a battery fail during the time I've been on a particular device.

And charging while using Nav? You practically have to, if you are doing a long drive. Otherwise, your battery is going to be too low to do anything by the time you get to your destination. I also charge while using WiFi hotspot for similar reasons. If you don't charge while doing power-intensive activities, the phone isn't going to have any charge when you need it.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

I'm with you on this, too. The analogy of the human body with a smartphone is a bit odd.

But even so, I rock climb and ice climb. Not constant high speed movement like a marathon runner, but very intensive, all day activities nonetheless. I can down some power bars of power gels and keep going, no problem. To not do so, would invite disaster (running out of power when you need it the most). There are other activities, like adventure racing and long distance biking (and others) where they do the same thing. Yes, you can't eat a cheeseburger while doing a dead spring. But you can down enough calories and carbs to keep your body going, while doing some of the activities I mentioned.

http://youtu.be/ti4A6zofQkw

:laugh:

TriBeard

Feb 14, 2012
I would get a decent charger (not the same kind that failed), and not worry too much about it. The phone won't let you damage it heat wise. Something people seem to forget is that the One will feel hotter than other phones, even when the internal temperatures are the same, or even lower because the entire body of the phone is acting as a heat sink. This is good for the CPU, GPU and battery temps as they can usually stay cooler this way, but the exterior of the phone will feel warmer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I needed a car charger and I noticed a lot of them said 2A on them. I was told directly from HTC not to buy a charger rated over 1.5A or I could damage the phone.

This is rubbish and smacks of HTC just covering their arses. I sometimes use a 2amp charger with my M8 in the house and never had a problem. As previous poster said, the phone will draw what it needs.

Aside from that, the M8 supports quick charge 2. Whilst that requires a special charger to work, said charger kicks out nearly 2amps and a higher voltage (9-12v). So I don't think anyone has to worry.

I needed a car charger and I noticed a lot of them said 2A on them. I was told directly from HTC not to buy a charger rated over 1.5A or I could damage the phone.

This is the problem with HTC support, they don't seem to really know what they are talking about!

I don't understand how the phone will pull more current just because the charger is capable of supplying it. Its like saying, don't plug your phone charger into a wall socket capable of supplying 13A, because it only needs 3A!
    Just a thought. But, and this CAN actually happen....

You're really NOT supposed to use a phone while it's charging. That can cause overheating in both the device AND the charger.

ba7a9yva.jpg

In terms of recharging stuff, just think of it like your body. If you exert yourself, you will use up tons of extra energy. We replenish energy with (sleep and) food. Ignoring the first one, with food, yes we can still function while eating. But we should not be fully exerting ourselves while we eat. We would choke and die. Same thing with a phone. Just allow it to charge, and never make it do too much, because then you're just asking for trouble.

Nice analogy but it doesn't fit the topic of conversation really. This is more an analogy of the charging process. It does not apply to using device while on charge.

But I'll humour you.

The problem is we're confusing common sense with manufacturer guidelines.

Yes, I agree that using common sense, should I be using my phone while it's charging and I noticed it getting worryingly hot, then I would stop using it.

However, there is nothing in the manufacturer guidelines which either make statements about not using it, or statements about 'applying common sense'.

Common sense is subjective and open to individual interpretation. If one user destroys his phone (which is honestly unlikely) from it overheating while using it whilst the battery was charging, they would complain to HTC and they would no doubt make a point of mentioning in their complaint that there is nothing in the manual which states you should not use the device whilst charging.

And HTC are unlikely to reply "you should have used common sense".

It doesn't really matter about how the phone is being used, whether it's internet browsing or sat nav. If the device was not designed to be used whilst on charge then HTC would have made mention of this in the manual. Given it's not mentioned, it's safe to assume that they tested it to death and it's highly unlikely to destroy your phone.

And I go back to my original reply. You can plug it in to a charging desktop stand and stream music over 4G whilst connected to your bluetooth headset and have the display on displaying album artwork. You can have GPS and 4G connections on whilst using a graphically intensive sat nav app downloading map data as you go and locking on to your location whilst on charge.

If you couldn't, if it was of enough concern to HTC, it would have been stated in the manual.