[Windows][Linux][Mac][One-Click] Root - CWM - Galaxy Nexus 4.0.1 & 4.0.2 -NO WIPE-

Search This thread

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
[Windows][Linux][Mac][One-Click] Root - CWM - Galaxy Nexus 4.0.1 & 4.0.2 -NO WIPE-

Introduction
I put together a one-click root in CASUAL format. Because it's in CASUAL format, the same Java JAR will work on Windows, Linux and Mac.

This package contains
  • root your device without unlocking/wiping.
  • install busybox without unlocking/wiping.
  • install Clockwork Mod Recovery for GSM or CDMA without unlocking/wiping.
  • Lock/unlock

Download and Instructions
CASUAL is easy to use, and fairly self explanitory.
  1. Launch the downloaded application using Java with right-click-open, or from a command line: "java -jar GalaxyNexus.jar"
  2. Select "Galaxy Nexus root"
  3. Click the "Do It' button
  4. Optionally: Repeat the previous step with "Install Busybox" option selected to install Busybox.
  5. Optionally: Select Install Galaxy Nexus CDMA or GSM ClockWork Mod Recovery

Download Galaxy Nexus Root and Busybox
Ensure you have Java Installed on your computer. Do you have java?

Shown on Windows 7 with dropdown selected, showing available items:
33cveaq.png

Shown on Ubuntu 12.04, ready to root a Galaxy Nexus:
1h6wyv.png

Warning
I am not responsible if *insert random event here* happens..... standard disclaimer.

About
CASUAL stands for Cross-platform ADB Scripting, Universal Android Loader. You can find the source at http://android-casual.googlecode.com

Hope this helps! Please leave feedback.

Last edited:

XTacDK

Oct 13, 2011
Hi! If i root my Nexus with this tool, then i will void the warranty? I dont want to install recovery or unlock bootloader, just root.

Looks nice :)

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Any chance of having the option to unlock the bootloader?
Yes!

I'm still working on figuring out all of the reprecussions of this. I think it can be done, but I'm not sure what all is contained in the same file... I don't want to release something with side effects.
Hi! If i root my Nexus with this tool, then i will void the warranty? I dont want to install recovery or unlock bootloader, just root.

Looks nice :)
I'm not really sure what the terms and conditions of your warranty are, but there is no "unlocked" icon to show that you've voided your warranty because this uses a permissions exploit to circumvent the need to unlock and flash a kernel.

iBowToAndroid

Account currently disabled
Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
I would GLADLY donate a nice amount if there would be a way to make this work on Honeycomb. Sick of Verizon's bs not getting ICS out to the Xoom, but I have too much game data saved - don't wanna root since unlock/wipe is required.

ppd0526

Jun 24, 2010
Great job, used it on my Galaxy Nexus Verizon version 4.0.2 and worked perfectly.

Thanks!

DjRenigade

Sep 23, 2010
Beaumont, Texas
www.mixcloud.com
Busy Box

Do you need t install busy box or Install the proper recovery for your device

Please explain.

I am interested in Root and or Super User and i think this is the way to go but not sure about the BB or Recovery.

With this giving you +root+ and no wipe what is need for BB and shouldn't you still be able to restore the phone using factory reset?

Thankx!

ppd0526

Jun 24, 2010
You can root with this app without needing to wipe. It will automatically install the Super User. Then you can install Busy Box via the application as well.

You do not need to install a custom recovery if you do not want to. BusyBox is simply tools on the android that let you install more apps that require advanced commands.

Reactions: DjRenigade

DjRenigade

Sep 23, 2010
Beaumont, Texas
www.mixcloud.com
Galaxy Nexus 4.0.1 & 4.0.2 -NO WIPE

Thank you!!

:eek: If i have the need to un-root my device will this application do that as well?

Also, will i still be able to receive OTA updates this way or will i have to do them manually? I just want to know my optionswith it before i +root+ using this method.

ppd0526

Jun 24, 2010
I don't see why you can't get OTA updates but that might kill the root. Meaning the update could stop the root and you would have to either reroot it using this way or using the official method where you first have to unlock the device.

Maybe the developer can shed a bit more light on that part and for un-rooting as well :)

Reactions: DjRenigade

ilredelniente

Aug 24, 2007
can I flash custom rom after using installed cwd with this tool?
how to update the cwd to the last release?

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

hotw to get it connected with the tool?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Introduction
    I put together a one-click root in CASUAL format. Because it's in CASUAL format, the same Java JAR will work on Windows, Linux and Mac.

This package contains
    • root your device without unlocking/wiping.
    • install busybox without unlocking/wiping.
    • install Clockwork Mod Recovery for GSM or CDMA without unlocking/wiping.
    • Lock/unlock

Download and Instructions
    CASUAL is easy to use, and fairly self explanitory.
    1. Launch the downloaded application using Java with right-click-open, or from a command line: "java -jar GalaxyNexus.jar"
    2. Select "Galaxy Nexus root"
    3. Click the "Do It' button
    4. Optionally: Repeat the previous step with "Install Busybox" option selected to install Busybox.
    5. Optionally: Select Install Galaxy Nexus CDMA or GSM ClockWork Mod Recovery

Download Galaxy Nexus Root and Busybox
    Ensure you have Java Installed on your computer. Do you have java?

Shown on Windows 7 with dropdown selected, showing available items:
    33cveaq.png

Shown on Ubuntu 12.04, ready to root a Galaxy Nexus:
    1h6wyv.png

Warning
    I am not responsible if *insert random event here* happens..... standard disclaimer.

About
    CASUAL stands for Cross-platform ADB Scripting, Universal Android Loader. You can find the source at http://android-casual.googlecode.com

Hope this helps! Please leave feedback.
    I just updated this to one-click install CWM without unlocking your device. Have fun :)
    Looks promising :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA
    You can root with this app without needing to wipe. It will automatically install the Super User. Then you can install Busy Box via the application as well.

You do not need to install a custom recovery if you do not want to. BusyBox is simply tools on the android that let you install more apps that require advanced commands.
    I don't see why you can't get OTA updates but that might kill the root. Meaning the update could stop the root and you would have to either reroot it using this way or using the official method where you first have to unlock the device.

Maybe the developer can shed a bit more light on that part and for un-rooting as well :)