T-mobile Galaxy SIII $80 more than other carriers

Search This thread

Sep 26, 2010
Fremont, CA
I would talk to rententions if you want to see if you can get a better deal. Depending on how long you've been with them, how long you've been out of contract, etc, they may be able to get you a better deal. The key is to be nice to them.

I already posted in the stickied thread, but I'll repost here:

Well, T-mobile continues to amaze me in a good way. Of course I was disappointed as everyone else with T-mobile's pricing, so I thought I'd give retention a call and see if they could do something.

I was really nice about it. I just said I'm looking to upgrade my phone from a Vibrant (I paid full price on the Vibrant, so I haven't been on contract for a long time). I've waited a long time to upgrade and I'm disappointed with the pricing. That's it. I wasn't rude or anything, just laid it out there.

The rep apologized for my disappointment and then she offered the following with no hesitation:

1. $200 credit to offset the cost of the phone. The credit has been applied to my account.

2. She said she could give me 500 more minutes on my plan AND reduce my monthly bill by $15.

3. She said I could pick it up in any store for $279.99 or call back on the 27th when they get them in their system at Customer Care.

4. I had overage on my bill for the first time. $100 worth. She took care of that too!

Bottom line, she gave me the phone for $79.99, saved me money on my monthly bill, AND wiped off overage.

Can't wait to get my S III once it's readily available. I won't mind the wait.

How did you do it? Called in and she said there's nothing she can do.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

magus57

Oct 2, 2010
Chicago
What I think everyone fails to realize is T-Mobile has the best rates out of all carriers and you still end up saving even with the extra your spending on the device. T-Mobile takes that into account when pricing devices. So overall its not really all bad. Just seems like it when your dropping all that money up front.

So true. People are too concerned about up-front price without realizing how much they're saving over the two years, and often switch carriers because they prefer instant gratification over long-term savings...which is one of the worst reasons to switch.

Voltage Spike

Aug 17, 2010
So true. People are too concerned about up-front price without realizing how much they're saving over the two years, and often switch carriers because they prefer instant gratification over long-term savings...which is one of the worst reasons to switch.

So because the plans are good, we should let T-Mobile rip us off in other, subtler ways?

The reality is that the biggest problem is that the phone is effectively the same across all carriers, but T-Mobile has a 15% premium compared to the other options. TCO is fine, but it doesn't necessarily mean that we can't get the same premium price for the phone as everyone else in addition to the great T-Mobile plans.

(It looks really bad at 58% more expensive than the somewhat similar Galaxy Nexus.)

If the reasoning is that the "no commitment" pricing on other carriers is a subsidized price, then I feel T-Mobile should just state that. Right now, it simply looks bad.

Reactions: 21stNow and Auzarin

magus57

Oct 2, 2010
Chicago
So because the plans are good, we should let T-Mobile rip us off in other, subtler ways?

The reality is that the biggest problem is that the phone is effectively the same across all carriers, but T-Mobile has a 15% premium compared to the other options. TCO is fine, but it doesn't necessarily mean that we can't get the same premium price for the phone as everyone else in addition to the great T-Mobile plans.

(It looks really bad at 58% more expensive than the somewhat similar Galaxy Nexus.)

If the reasoning is that the "no commitment" pricing on other carriers is a subsidized price, then I feel T-Mobile should just state that. Right now, it simply looks bad.

I'm not saying it's justified, but it seems like the people complaining about the phone price are forgetting how much less per month they're paying and that they might switch just because of an up-front price. When you think about it, how can you not afford an higher up-front price but a higher monthly price is fine? Sounds like bad money management to me.

tamasrepus

Feb 2, 2009
samat.org
Anyone know how much the 32gb off contract is? I can't get a straight answer from anyone at T-Mobile.
The 32 GB Galaxy S III was listed earlier this week (gone now) on T-Mobile's Website for $679.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

I'm not saying it's justified, but it seems like the people complaining about the phone price are forgetting how much less per month they're paying and that they might switch just because of an up-front price. When you think about it, how can you not afford an higher up-front price but a higher monthly price is fine? Sounds like bad money management to me.
That almost makes sense, except that the Galaxy S III still costs $80 more off-contract compared to AT&T ($629 vs $550), so you're saving less than you think.

Reactions: Auzarin

magus57

Oct 2, 2010
Chicago
That almost makes sense, except that the Galaxy S III still costs $80 more off-contract compared to AT&T ($629 vs $550), so you're saving less than you think.

Unless you intend on using the AT&T version on 2G on some prepaid service, I'd don't see how that's relevant, since I'm unaware of AT&T offering any unsubsidized plans (meaning that $80 is made up in only a few monthly payments).

lferrin

Nov 22, 2009
Go to Costco. Got it for 249.00. Comes with two cases a car charger and two screen protectors. Oh and no rebate : )

Sent from my SGH-T999 using XDA Premium App

stonew5082

Mar 20, 2009
Atlantis
mine was 230 in store for 16 gig model. Why is everyone saying its $80 more? And I didn't have any activation fees or anything...

Voltage Spike

Aug 17, 2010
mine was 230 in store for 16 gig model. Why is everyone saying its $80 more? And I didn't have any activation fees or anything...

Because it is supposed to be $280 (granted, with a $50 mail-in rebate) vs. the $200 at other carriers. You may have gotten away for $230 without the rebate as a Value customer, for a total price of $630 after the EIP ... again, compared to $550 with everyone else.

floppydiskz

Jul 17, 2010
Retentions department was awesome. After buying the phone at Costco for around $250+ tax, they lowered my monthly bill by $10, let me retain my Original $20 unlimited data plan from the G1, wiped out next month's bill AND threw in an additional $10 off a month for 24 months.

I was quite pleased with my experience and I too was very polite and non threatening.

Sep 26, 2010
Fremont, CA
Retentions department was awesome. After buying the phone at Costco for around $250+ tax, they lowered my monthly bill by $10, let me retain my Original $20 unlimited data plan from the G1, wiped out next month's bill AND threw in an additional $10 off a month for 24 months.

I was quite pleased with my experience and I too was very polite and non threatening.

Did they do all of that for renewing your contract?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would talk to rententions if you want to see if you can get a better deal. Depending on how long you've been with them, how long you've been out of contract, etc, they may be able to get you a better deal. The key is to be nice to them.

I already posted in the stickied thread, but I'll repost here:

Well, T-mobile continues to amaze me in a good way. Of course I was disappointed as everyone else with T-mobile's pricing, so I thought I'd give retention a call and see if they could do something.

I was really nice about it. I just said I'm looking to upgrade my phone from a Vibrant (I paid full price on the Vibrant, so I haven't been on contract for a long time). I've waited a long time to upgrade and I'm disappointed with the pricing. That's it. I wasn't rude or anything, just laid it out there.

The rep apologized for my disappointment and then she offered the following with no hesitation:

1. $200 credit to offset the cost of the phone. The credit has been applied to my account.

2. She said she could give me 500 more minutes on my plan AND reduce my monthly bill by $15.

3. She said I could pick it up in any store for $279.99 or call back on the 27th when they get them in their system at Customer Care.

4. I had overage on my bill for the first time. $100 worth. She took care of that too!

Bottom line, she gave me the phone for $79.99, saved me money on my monthly bill, AND wiped off overage.

Can't wait to get my S III once it's readily available. I won't mind the wait.

I called customer care and they gave me a full months credit to get and use the savings to buy my phone:)
    I'm certainly going to have to do this :) Thanks for the tip!
    To be clear, which number did you call exactly though? haha

611. Asked for retentions when I got someone on the line.
    Anyone know how much the 32gb off contract is? I can't get a straight answer from anyone at T-Mobile.
    The 32 GB Galaxy S III was listed earlier this week (gone now) on T-Mobile's Website for $679.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------