[Solved] Best way to root a completely stock D801?

Search This thread

NicoC72

Jan 4, 2012
Just got my T-Mobile G2 a few days ago and have been looking around at the different ways of rooting it. I know the T-Mobile variant is harder to root and run a custom ROM on because IORoot doesn't work on the KitKat OTA, so I haven't updated it yet. Right now the phone is running the D80110C firmware.

What I'm asking for is a way of being able to get the phone to the point where I can flash any 4.4.2 ROM compatible with it (even if it needs patches). Looking at both dr87's guide and utesred's guide, I'm thinking I need to take the following steps:

1. Root the 4.2.2 D80110C firmware (currently on the phone) with IORoot.
2. Install latest version of TWRP. Need suggestions on how to do this.
3. Reboot into TWRP, wipe everything (minus internal storage), flash SmiLey497's 4.4.2 ROM and the SU file. I gotta do this all in one go or it will complicate things.
4. Reinstall TWRP using AutoRec.
5. Go on to flash something like CM11 or Mahdi-ROM.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Alright, I got it! Just followed my guide and the recovery install method suggested by XxZombiePikachu and everything worked great.

Last edited:

NicoC72

Jan 4, 2012
Can anyone assure me that this will work? Or even share a quick run down of what they did? Thanks!

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
Just got my T-Mobile G2 a few days ago and have been looking around at the different ways of rooting it. I know the T-Mobile variant is harder to root and run a custom ROM on because IORoot doesn't work on the KitKat OTA, so I haven't updated it yet. Right now the phone is running the D80110C firmware.

What I'm asking for is a way of being able to get the phone to the point where I can flash any 4.4.2 ROM compatible with it (even if it needs patches). Looking at both dr87's guide and utesred's guide, I'm thinking I need to take the following steps:

3. Reboot into TWRP, wipe everything (minus internal storage), flash SmiLey497's 4.4.2 ROM and the SU file. I gotta do this all in one go or it will complicate things.

that is all correct also install recovery guide

Reactions: NicoC72

NicoC72

Jan 4, 2012
Ok, everything's rooted and running just fine! Installed CM11 and the KitKat modem with rotation fix.

For anyone who finds this thread in the future, here's the zip of stuff you need to flash TWRP the first time, just make sure to pick up IORoot25 as well, since that's what I used to for the adb. Second time around (once you have the rooted KitKat LG ROM installed), use AutoRec. Here's a link to the KitKat modem you might need if you flash a ROM and auto rotate doesn't work.

I'm not responsible if you screw up your device. This all worked for me, so I'm just sharing the steps for prosperity. Make sure you ready all the threads and guides I linked or mentioned, use OEM cables, use a USB 2.0 port that is actually connected to the motherboard in your PC (not a hub, pass-through, or front case port), as well as being focused at the task at hand. Disabling your anti-virus might help too, used to have to do this when rooting older phones, so it might still be necessary.

If this does work, have fun with your newly rooted LG G2 D801! :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

that is all correct also install recovery guide