[Guide] Root and CWM recovery new ICS.

Search This thread

bxrdj

Oct 8, 2010
i tried 10 different ways but i cannot get two things ... first the s voice release that was working fine on the telus rls and second and this has been around with all roms is the damn voicemail icon that wont go away ...

I tried reinstalling everything 10 times and every way possible. If I didnt need the wifi calling at my house, i would keep using the telus release - not sure why but it was just better for me overall.

barfingmonkey

Nov 11, 2010
The recovery file is for a 9100, does this work for the t989?
Thanks

To start, you will need
Recovery-cmw-hercules.tar (doesn't have to be the latest, you can update it later). This can be found in other recovery threads, as the process remains the same.
Odin3 v1.85 (or any other compatible version)
root.zip found Here

nikhilxp64

Jun 13, 2012
Thank you - it works

I just followed the instructions from here and now I have a nice rooted T989. :) Information was spot on! Thank you!!

After that I got Titanium backup and froze all the bloatware.
You can also get the tethering to work without a hotspot subscription.

@barfingmonkey: Yes it works on the T989-Galaxy S II from Tmobile[USA]. I just used it on my phone. No glitches :D

asting

Sep 2, 2010
The recovery file is for a 9100, does this work for the t989?
Thanks

To start, you will need
Recovery-cmw-hercules.tar (doesn't have to be the latest, you can update it later). This can be found in other recovery threads, as the process remains the same.
root.zip found Here
Do not use the i9100 recovery. You need the sgh-t989. The root file is the same however. Also, I did not link to a recovery, so you can find one pretty easily by searching here or through this page http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-root-t-mobile-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-on-android-2.3.5-tutorial/ (the recovery is the same).

Last edited:

dave2metz

Oct 10, 2010
Clearwater, Florida
For any of you still having troubles.. Check out Galaxys2root.com for step by step instructions on getting to stock ICS and rooting ICS. There is a video to guide you through the process.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

donm76

Dec 29, 2011
For any of you still having troubles.. Check out Galaxys2root.com for step by step instructions on getting to stock ICS and rooting ICS. There is a video to guide you through the process.

That's the site I used when I originally rooted my phone. I just used it again when I rooted my ICS update. Flawless. :)

dave2metz

Oct 10, 2010
Clearwater, Florida
followed instructions on galaxys2root.com, rebooted and now device is hanging on the boot screen. Have also tried darkside.cache and still not luck ... not fun.

Any suggestions besides wiping and starting from scratch?

I would start from scratch. I know it's a pain, but I think if you start over and follow the instructions on Galaxys2root.com, you will be good. Just take your time and double check before you do anything.

asting

Sep 2, 2010
followed instructions on galaxys2root.com, rebooted and now device is hanging on the boot screen. Have also tried darkside.cache and still not luck ... not fun.

Any suggestions besides wiping and starting from scratch?

No issue with the three s2s i did. Use the directions in the OP. If you're using another method why are you posting in this thread?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To start, you will need
    root.zip found Here

Steps:
    1) Make sure Kies is exited, and you have the drivers installed for Odin. If not, check the other threads as this has been covered many times
    2) Just select your CWM recovery for PDA once you are in DL mode (which is achieved by holding down VOL Up and VOL Down when the phone is off as you plug in the cable). Select vol up to confirm dl mode.
    3) In Odin, leave the default boxes (Auto reboot and F. Reset time), and then select PDA and choose the .tar file we found earlier. Make sure odin sees your phone properly and start this!
    4) once you have CWM recovery installed copy the root.zip to your sd card, and boot into CWM recovery. Do a Nand Backup and then install root.zip and enjoy!
    5) Delete that crappy bloat!

For those having connection issues in Odin, try the following.

1) Exit Kies
    2) Change to a different USB port
    3) Reinstall your USB drivers.

I kept getting an error, and the above fixed that.
    Rooted! T989 with Stock ICS update!

Thank you So Much! It Worked!!! :) For all of you who are doing this:

You will first need to install Busy Box update before Titanium will work. It takes a few seconds (20 - 30secs) then you will see "Allow Super User..."

Thanks again :) Starting to delete Crap ware now!
    Damn... Stuck on "Goodbye"

Ok, so I rooted and it worked perfectly, only problem is I'm now getting stuck on "Goodbye" screen when shutting down, or when restarting. I have removed the battery for 2 minutes, wiped cache, wiped dalvik...

Still the same thing...

Anyone have any ideas?

it seems that many here don't know about the reboot hangs for ICS.

You guys cannot use the manual wiping of caches and dalvik cache... nor can you fix permission with ICS and cwm 5.0.2.7

TDJ has compiled a zip called the DARKSIDE cache wipe.

I attached it and I know TDJ normally doesn't approve of people sharing his stuff without permission but This is just the cache wipe so I'm sure he doesn't mind.

Just flash it in CWM like you would normally would anything else.
    Ty for this quick and easy root!!
    Now i just need to wait 9 more days for my s3