How I finally fixed the "can't connect to camera" issue on my THL w100

Search This thread

pawciorc

Dec 23, 2010
Hello, my thl w100 has been sent to China for warranty service. After 3 months !!! i got it back and it seemed a bit better- from time to mite the camera worked. And looked like it has nothing to do with the hardware. I could play around with the charger plug or press the camera area- no impact at all. Started looking for different rom but finally i said to myself: lots of ppl have the issue even after changing roms so it will not resolve my issue. I also didnt plan to send it again to China so decided to open it and do the trick as described here.
Tadam!!! No issues at all since I put a distance between the connector and the cover. Finally I can enjoy the lovely phone and take pictures whenever I need.

Reactions: evilsephirot

emanuele252

May 18, 2008
Nepi, Viterbo, Italy
Hi. My friend has the same issue on the w200. I don't know if it's connector, but in my case I notice that the camera start again to function when I attach the phone to the charger. What can be the problem? Do you have any idea. How can I solve it? I don't wanna send it back to China. I did so with the first thl w200 and it never come back. Thanks in advance for help

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

romulocamelo

Sep 5, 2013
AFTER UPDATE ROM The Touch Screen NOT TURN.

Hello friend, I need your help. Recently my W200 THL began to have problems at the camera, trying to connect the message "Can not connect to camera". I heard that changing the ROM or firmware update could solve the problem. Sought information on the net and found this tutorial androidxda.com text and other youtube.com I downloaded the files from the following source dropbox.com follow in the footsteps of two tutorials, and tried to update the ROM alone, but NOT worked, my problem has increased, now the my W200 THL league but without lights display, the screen is completely black. I can hear the sound of THL W200 turn on, but the screen is completely black. The HOME button and the BACK and MENU buttons respond to touch, but the screen is black. What kind of procedure should I take to have my W200 THL back. Original Touch Screen querou him after a fall. I'm using a Touch Screen replacement. At the time of the exchange tried installing the Touch Screen alone and found a similar situation as of now. I spoke with the seller of the Touch Screen and he recommended me to update the firmware. Do not know this procedure and found my best envirar W200 THL for him in China. It worked and he gave me OK. Now is it this answer? I need to update the firmware again? Can you help me? Please help me. If possible, we can use the tool TeamViewer for remote access to my PC and you can help me in real time. I look forward to an answer, my email: romulocamelo@gmail.com

fantompro

Jul 27, 2010
U disconect the under motherboard ribon cable!

I fixed the camera and thank you for help :]....but there is another problem,when camera finally was fixed now is the problem that there is no sound,and the microphone dont work....when someone calls me I hear but that person dont hear me...:/// If someone knows hoe to solve this problem I'll ne verry grateful :3
Cheers

Sir, when u open the phone u have to be carefull because u can disconnect the flex cable under the board.

pawciorc

Dec 23, 2010
I need to clarify my 1st post on this page. Once i put second sim card the problem returned. Adding more distance for more push for the connector did not help. Today I disassembled the phone again and played around with the camera with removed cover. Worked every time with no preassure to the connector. I even gently lifted the connector and no problems at all. After putting back on the cover but no screws in also worked fine. But when everything was re-assembled the camera refused cooperation. I have no more ideas what to do. I mean i have- ordered Xiaomi MI3 :D
Anyway my last supicion is about two connectors in the right top corner of the board being connected by a brass square on the cover. No idea why they are there but without them connected by the brass square everything worked just great. Any ideas what this part is responsible for?

steve0b1

Sep 15, 2014
Just to confirm, i have had this issue and having tried everything (new pads to push on connector, replace both rear/front camera + ribbons) i can confirm the issue is the main board, it flex's overtime and the connections on the front camera connector socket weaken. There is nothing you can do unless you are a A+ Solder or buy a new board from Antelife or simular for £50 ..... a temp fix is replace the pads, the pads help as they stop a little of the flex also you can pack out the charger port (just behind it) to stop the movement but again this only lasts 3-4 weeks and the problem will return...

New T11 on the way for me as i gave up on it in the end!!!!

hronis97

Sep 24, 2014
Hi. I have the same problem with my camera. I followed the instructions and i stuck a piece of paper three times. Now, it works sometimes but other times the problem 'unable To start camera ' Renault. Do you have any idea what should i do? I need to stuck something harder in order to make better connection or Will i destroy it in this way? (sorry for my english )

hgaaditya

Sep 23, 2013
Bangalore
Different device, same error

Hey guys, I have a MMX Canvas HD phone, Its a MT6589 phone.It's a different device ,but I am having the same problem.. I tried pressing the pads it didnt, work I will check again for the solder, and the MB flexing issue,, does anybody have any updates on this issue???

Any advice on the issue is appreciated..

Thank you. :)

SquallDNA

Mar 1, 2012
i have the same issue but im using neo v sony. your solution kinda worked. but i haven't disassemble my device yet. but playing around with the cable inserted kinda work.

mancioman

Aug 5, 2013
software trick to fix no camera problem

I have a THL w100. I tried to fix the rear camera, but i broke the smd connector, so I asked to myself: should be possible to force the front camera opening to avoid "can't open camera" message and program crash? There is a text file in Android where I can mount cameras or I have to write a camera program that call directly the front camera?..... if is permitted..... tnx for help

Rudolfiv

Feb 16, 2013
THL W100 camera problem resolved

I saw a video with cleaning connector. I saw a video by inserting paper. Connectors'm purified and that helped for a while. But I finally put a larger piece of paper, 7cm strip folded to the size of the connector Cameras. A helpful:good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sometime ago after purchasing a new W100 (THL),
    I started having the "can't connect to the camera" message.

It has been debated widely over the different forums, and was always associated to ROM, software, permissions issues and such.

First, I'd like to say that this phone is fantastic value for money.

The other day, after trying numerous roms, and permission fixes, and with no luck,
    I was playing with the charger cable (while connected), while the camera app was working.

I noticed that fidgeting around with the cable had influence on the app, freezing it at times, making the camera input flicker etc.

I knew right then, this was a connector issue, hardware, rather then something else.

I immediately decided to abandon the "warranty" procedure and take it apart to find the problem.

There is a little rectangular sponge which was right above the connector, but apparently was not pressing it enough,
    so I attached 3-4 little squares of thin cardboard (really thin), in the same size of the sponge.

Re-assembled the phone, and voila!, works like a charm ever since!

I will post some photos later, if someone wishes, but the phone has been working for some time now, with no problems what so ever.

So that's it,
    the mysterious "can't connect" issue, SOLVED,
    at least for me, and to another phone I had ordered which had the same problem (also THL w100).

Gideon.
    Added photos of repair

here are the pics as promised...

hope this is helpful:

first, the connector:
    connector.jpg

now, both the little thin cardboard pieces and
    the sponge which should be pressing enough on the connector:

extra-thickener-and-sponge.jpg

pieces applied with a little snippet of clear duct tape:
    thickener-applied.jpg

the outcome - u can see the shape of the plastic where the flesh is, bent a little upwards as a result:
    shape-after-fix.jpg
    I thought I shared my experience in fixing my THL W200.

In the first picture, I removed all the screws and start plying open the casing.
    It's tough to ply open the casing. A combination of flat head screw driver and finger nail.
    The plastic edges were damaged in the process by the screw driver.

In the second picture, you will see my camera connector.

In the third picture, I cut a small slab from those 3M stick-on-wall sticker and paste it on my casing.
    It's quite thick. I mount my casing back. I tested the camera with the casing half mounted.
    I wanted to make sure it worked before I mount the casing fully back.
    The removing of the casing was quite troublesome.
    You also see the power and volume button in the picture.

My observation so far.
    The casing is slightly arched like what Gideon has mentioned. The camera works without failure.

But when I put back my sim card, my camera works on and off. Most of the time it works.
    I believe it's because the contact point of the sim card is on the motherboard while the end of sim card is on the plastic casing.
    This possibly creates a small gap between my sticker and the camera connector.

Possible solution.
    Cut my sim card or cut the plastic casing.
    Tank you so much, for fix the camera for my w100. I folow this steps and fix my phone

It has been debated widely over the different forums, and was always associated to ROM, software, permissions issues and such.

The other day, after trying numerous roms, and permission fixes, and with no luck,
    I was playing with the charger cable (while connected), while the camera app was working.

I noticed that fidgeting around with the cable had influence on the app, freezing it at times, making the camera input flicker etc.

I knew right then, this was a connector issue, hardware, rather then something else.

I immediately decided to abandon the "warranty" procedure and take it apart to find the problem.

There is a little rectangular sponge which was right above the connector, but apparently was not pressing it enough,
    so I attached 3-4 little squares of thin cardboard (really thin), in the same size of the sponge.

I will post some photos later, if someone wishes, but the phone has been working for some time now, with no problems what so ever.

So that's it,
    at least for me, and to another phone I had ordered which had the same problem (also THL w100).

Gideon.

Tanks so much, for fix the camera for my w100. I folow this steps and fix my phone, it´s very easy and works.

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

So that's it,

Gideon.

If by playing around with the USB connection it works, then I would presume you have the same problem as me...,
    and the connector is is troublesome.

I have the same model and folow the steps of Guideon, but i don´t use paper i used tape doble face and work perfetly the camera.
    Reason of problem "can't connect to camera"

Dear friends, i wanna share my experience which this camera problem of the THL W100 / W100S .
    I have some electronic experience :) and i wanted to figure out what is the real probem of this issue.
    Fortunately i had 2 THL W100 cellphones so i could exchange the parts from one to the other.
    Summarized the reason of the message "can't connect to camera" is bad solder connection of the FRONT camera.
    The manufacturer had used to less solder paste so the contacts of the SMT connector is not properly mould with tin.
    After resoldering the contacts under the microscope the camera works well, regardless which firmware is loaded.
    Please be careful when soldering and take care to do this with ESD protection. I hope to help you with this hint.