Covert HTC One M8 Verizon to Fully Compatible T-Mobile Version

Search This thread

Vlad3389

Sep 30, 2014
Got the 4G icon but...

Hi all,
I have a Verizon M8 on which I installed Viper 2.5.0 with the T-Mobile setting during installation.

The problem is I have the 4G icon lit in my area (I live in Belgium) but the speed is an HSPA+ one, not LTE (13Mbps). I also had a friend of mine with a SIM from my provider testing the speed at the same time with an iphone 5S and he was getting 27Mbps...

My question to you is: is there anything else I can do to have real LTE speed on my phone?
I honestly didn't have the courage to use QPST and mess with the bands: anybody tried that? Any experience?

Thanks a lot,
Antonio

Hi all,
I have a Verizon M8 on which I installed Viper 2.5.0 with the T-Mobile setting during installation.

The problem is I have the 4G icon lit in my area (I live in Belgium) but the speed is an HSPA+ one, not LTE (13Mbps). I also had a friend of mine with a SIM from my provider testing the speed at the same time with an iphone 5S and he was getting 27Mbps...

My question to you is: is there anything else I can do to have real LTE speed on my phone?
I honestly didn't have the courage to use QPST and mess with the bands: anybody tried that? Any experience?

Thanks a lot,
Antonio

For your carrier, find out what radio bands they use. The Verizon m8 may not have the LTE bands that your carrier has

Vlad3389

Sep 30, 2014
well theoretically it should : it's band 3 (1800 MHz)...

Should I go ahead trying QPST ?

Anybody tried that on the Verizon M8?

thanks,
Antonio

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Talal916

Dec 31, 2011
Sacramento
Does this still work?

Does this still work on the newest Verizon firmware? I can't get wifi working on the latest ARHD (21 or 2.1 I think), but I didn't try flashing Elemental. I can't find the most recent version of Elemental, and don't want to flash something from months ago if it won't work.

mido.fayad

May 14, 2011
alex
Now the interesting Part which making me crazy
How can a lot of you flash arhd to your Verizon m8 ???? Although arhd script flashes the system to mmcblk0p45 !! And boot.img to mmcblk0p42 !!

While Verizon one m8 has system at mmcblk0p46 and boot at mmcblk0p43 !!!!

Can anyone upload the updater script from the arhd Rom which worked for him on Verizon m8

It seems very strange that it's working but Sprint has the same partition structure so it should work with Sprint only not verizon

Edit :
Even elemental kernel 0.4 linked in the the first post flashes the kernel to mmcblk0p42 which is reserve partition for Verizon devices not boot !!!

Last edited:

vprasad1

Fenny's 4.4.2 T-Mobile 1.57 ROM Works! w. VZW firmware 1.55.605.2

Tried upgrading firmware to Verizon 3.28.605.4 and then to try installing a few 4.4.4 International ROMs and International kernels, but couldn't get them to work (black screen when I tried Andoid Revolution 22.1, others just wouldn't come out of HTC One screen).

Anybody gotten 4.4.4 ROMs running for T-Mobile network on the Verizon M8? I was in a time crunch, so didn't get a chance to be more systematic in testing.

I was unable to find this OP's ver 3.4 from the Android Revolutions page

Instead settled on doing a near RUU from the RUU M8_VZW files (s-off only) thread to get down to firmware 1.55.605.2.

Then I did a full wipe and Installed Fenny's
[ROM][TMO][ODEXED/DEODEXED][4.4.2][HTC 1.57 OTA] Stock+ 5/20/2014 and all seems to be working so far-- WiFi is working, voice works, MMS works, camera works.

Was curious to try the 5.0.1 GPE ROM which is supposed to be multi-carrier, anybody given it a shot?

gigawatt

Nov 19, 2008
tried, and only got voice and 3g data, didn't flash the gsm varient, just picked verizon in aroma, didn't know if it was safe to pick gsm on a verizon so didn't do it!

2ndLeaf

Dec 21, 2014
I tried 5.0.1 GPE ROM and chose gsm varient. Everything works fine. I got 4G LTE speed.

The only thing I don't like (or don't know how to change) is the network indicator doesn't show the network type. I have to either use another app, or display phone info to get network type.

Last edited:

vprasad1

I tried 5.0.1 GPE ROM and chose gsm varient. Everything works fine. I got 4G LTE speed.

The only thing I don't like (or don't know how to change) is the network indicator doesn't show the network type. I have to either use another app, or display phone info to get network type.

What Verizon firmware are you running with the Lollipop? 3.28.605.4 or 2.21.605.2 or 1.55.605.2? And how stable are your connections?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

2ndLeaf

Dec 21, 2014
I also tried ViperOneM8 3.2.1 ROM with T-Mobile tweak. It didn't work initially. Initial setup never completed after installation. Then I changed CID to T-MOB010 and re-installed ViperOneM8 3.2.1 again. Everything seemed working fine. I could even make Wi-Fi call. I only played with it for half an hour so don't know how stable it is.

vprasad1

So, wife and i did a road trip from northern to southern California with our Verizon phones now on T-Mobile. The HTC M8 signal was significantly worse than my a Samsung S4 driving down highway 5. I scratched my head and started digging after we arrived.

The Verizon site lists the following for their M8:
LTE Band 13, 4
CDMA/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)
Global Network: EDGE/GSM (850/900/1800/1900), HSPA/UMTS (850/900/1900/2100)

T-Mobile uses:
LTE bands 2, 4, and now turning up 12
HSPA+ on AWS and 1900 MHz
GSM on 1900 MHz

So... We're only covered for LTE band 4 with no fall back to band 2, and no indoors access to band 12 so we're a bit limited for LTE.
We're on slooooooooow HSPA (14Mbps down, 5.8 Mbps up) but not HSPA+

Pretty limited signal options!

The Verizon S4:
The Verizon site lists the following for their S4
LTE Band 13,4
CDMA/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz);
Global - EDGE/GSM (850/900/1800/1900), HSPA/UMTS(850/900/1900/2100)

So in theory i should have had crappy reception on both devices, but the M8 reception was far worse.

I've read that the M8 CDMA phones have different radio hardware than the GSM variants... So no amount of software tweaking or ROMing or flagging T-Mobile radios on the Verizon M8 or updating to the latest Verizon radios will improve connectivity on T-Mobile-- is this true?

Does the Verizon S4 have different radio hardware than the other GSM variants? Is this why my reception was better on the S4 than the M8?

Thinking that the M8 will probably have to be flashed back to Stock Verizon for sale on Swappa after a dedicated T-Mobile phone is found.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

seakha

Dec 28, 2014
your final verdict?

Thank you for very informative post and all the details. I am also owing HTC one M8 from Verizon. I move to T-Mobile in September. I am using my phone with the HSPA and not that great data speed so far. As your final verdict, do you think it worth the hassle to go through all the process (s-off; update firmware; flash a new ROM) to get the phone working with 4G LTE? What was the most functional and stable ROM you have tested?

I very much appreciate it if you can share the information.

vprasad1

Thank you for very informative post and all the details. I am also owing HTC one M8 from Verizon. I move to T-Mobile in September. I am using my phone with the HSPA and not that great data speed so far. As your final verdict, do you think it worth the hassle to go through all the process (s-off; update firmware; flash a new ROM) to get the phone working with 4G LTE? What was the most functional and stable ROM you have tested?

I very much appreciate it if you can share the information.

I don't remember if the stock ROM lets you adjust the APNs or if it requires a custom ROM to get to Settings / Mobile Data / Access Point Names. If so, then add the one provided here for fast.T-Mobile.com

The value of S-Off / ROM in this situation is subjective. If you're in a major metro area and you need the speed, then maybe it's worth it. If you're somewhere with limited coverage then perhaps not. I had purchased my phone already S-Off, so it wasn't an extra expense for me.

In my situation, having found the limitations of using the Verizon phone on T-Mobile, I think I'm better off getting a T-Mobile phone and selling my Verizon phone on Swappa. For me it's not worth the effort to keep backing up settings, installing a T-Mobile ROM, checking if it works with particular radios, and then restoring my backup of the test fails, etc.

My most stable configuration was the T-Mobile Fenny ROM with the Verizon 1.55.605.2 firmware.

seakha

Dec 28, 2014
I don't remember if the stock ROM lets you adjust the APNs or if it requires a custom ROM to get to Settings / Mobile Data / Access Point Names. If so, then add the one provided here for fast.T-Mobile.com

The value of S-Off / ROM in this situation is subjective. If you're in a major metro area and you need the speed, then maybe it's worth it. If you're somewhere with limited coverage then perhaps not. I had purchased my phone already S-Off, so it wasn't an extra expense for me.

In my situation, having found the limitations of using the Verizon phone on T-Mobile, I think I'm better off getting a T-Mobile phone and selling my Verizon phone on Swappa. For me it's not worth the effort to keep backing up settings, installing a T-Mobile ROM, checking if it works with particular radios, and then restoring my backup of the test fails, etc.

My most stable configuration was the T-Mobile Fenny ROM with the Verizon 1.55.605.2 firmware.

Thank you vprasad1! I could adjust the APNs with the stock ROM and I am living in a metro area that the LTE speed is a real game changer. Verizon software does not allow me to use GSM with LTE at the same time and I have no control over in Mobile data setting of the phone.

My phone still has the Verizon 1.55.605.2 firmware, so I might try the Fenny ROM to see how it works. BTW, please update us if you are successful adding new bands and radio's through the recent link you posted.

Last edited:

seakha

Dec 28, 2014
I also tried ViperOneM8 3.2.1 ROM with T-Mobile tweak. It didn't work initially. Initial setup never completed after installation. Then I changed CID to T-MOB010 and re-installed ViperOneM8 3.2.1 again. Everything seemed working fine. I could even make Wi-Fi call. I only played with it for half an hour so don't know how stable it is.

Did you have cellular connection to 4G LTE or HSPA on t-mobile? I tried ViperOneM8 3.2.1 with T-Mobile tweak. I have wifi call and that works but it does not have cellular connection (no data, no calls without wifi). I changed the CID to Super CID and T-MOB010. It did not work. I was wondering whether you had cellular connection on t-mobile?

knightofarmenia

Dec 27, 2014
I followed this guide to the letter, including flashing the new kernel, but I still cannot get WiFi. I have everything else - LTE, cell phone reception, MMS, SMS, internet, everything. But I need to be able to turn wifi on! I've read about "having to update the firmware," but this is the first thing I've ever rooted, and while I'm super excited I haven't bricked it, I'm horrified that I'll ruin it if I don't do the firmware updates right. Can someone please help me out here?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR THIS METHOD OR THE TUTORIAL.

This post is created to help those with a Verizon HTC ONE M8 that want to use the device full time on T-Mobile with everything working.

We are going to walkthrough debranding by installing recovery and a custom rom

WHAT WORKS.
    EVERYTHING (Except below)

WHATS BROKEN
    WIFI fix flash this kernel
    http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407584543

THINGS YOU WILL NEED BEFORE STARTING
    ROOTED
    S-Off (see firewater thread)

An app called Flashify in google play link below
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cgollner.flashify

TWRP Recovery to be flashed in Flashify
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2709966

Android Revolution HD 3.4
    http://android-revolution-hd.blogspot.com/p/android-revolution-hd-mirror-site-var.html

Once you have all of the above files downloaded to your device
    AND YOU ARE ROOTED AND S-OFF
    Proceed with the tutorial below.
    Also shows MMS, SMS, Calls and everything working (EXCEPT WIFI)

All credit goes to the creators of each piece of this tutorial, I just put this together in one place to help users who have T-Mobile and are using a Verizon HTC One M8.

TUTORIAL
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GhybCyd4Pg

UPDATE: Added new part to his video
    UPDATE ************* WiFi fixed **************
    Flash this kernel.
    http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407584543

CREDITS
    mike1986 (ROM)
    beaups jcase (ROOT)
    Firewater Devs (S-Off)
    TKTechNews (Tutorial)
    my method of successful HTC one M8 VZN to TMobile

I read a bunch of the tutorials and thread posts about how to do this. I'd rooted / jailbreak some devices (e.g., ipod) before, but mostly I'm a big noob. I tried to take good notes along the way so I know what I'd done. Here are my steps. I'm posting this mainly because I'm grateful to all the others who posted so that I could figure a way to do this. I also used this post (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51995222&postcount=62) as a help to walk through some steps. My phone was purchased from Verizon back in August. But we needed to add another phone to our plan and the overall package was waaayyyy better with TMobile, so I went to the TMobile store to switch. My wife's iPhone 5S worked without a hitch. But when we put the TMobile sim into the Verizon HTC One, it worked initially but then was very erratic for phone and sms and you could not change the APN within the phone. I decided that most of those problems were likely related to Verizon specific settings within the phone. So, these are my notes.

Used this thread as a partial list to know what to install on my PC:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2757414

Having trouble rooting phone BC of locks from Verizon. At first, couldn't even get it to go to recovery or download. On my phone the only way to get it done was to press power to get the submenu, select restart, and then hold the volume down during restart.

Installed Android SDK, installed HTC synch and then removed it so that I had proper drivers on my PC.
    Installed Java SDK on my pc - But also had to put an environment variable in “My Computer” settings to point to the Java files. (meaning had to put in a variable that pointed to the path of the installed java within the environment variables for my PC: variable = JAVA_HOME value = path of java jdk). Then things started to work
    Also found that I had to add a value within my PATH environment variable to point to the android SDK. I'm not sure that these environment variable changes were critical, but several threads mentioned needing JDK and the Android SDK to work and doing the above helped get them to work as expected.

Next up was to try to root the phone.
    Tried to use Weaksauce2, but no luck. Kept failing.

Then tried to purchase Sunshine (http://theroot.ninja/purchase.html)
    Paid $25 and it rooted and made the phone s-off but did not appear to root the phone
    things were weird at that point, but it did become s-off.
    Followed this link to determine s-OFF http://www.android.gs/what-is-s-off-and-how-can-you-tell-if-your-phone-has-s-off-s-on/
    and that allowed me to get to the boot menu. I confirmed that the phone was s-off (huge step in the right direction)

Only after Sunshine had run was I able to use weaksauce2 (which I’d already loaded) to enable root on each reboot.

Then,,,, I had to make sure ADB (Android debug bridge was loaded - it’s basically loading the Android SDK on my PC) and had to add a path for the environment variable (different from above) as described in the below tutorial (i'd mentioned this above as well)
    http://www.droidviews.com/a-comprehensive-guide-to-adb-android-debug-bridge-and-commands/2/

Used the Super CID commands from a command line on my PC (using android bridge or ADB) to get the CID = 11111111 For a long time it was unclear to me that these commands were on a command line on my PC rather than on the phone. Guess I'm dense that way....
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708610

Next, used this link to try to load the TWRP recovery
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2717932
    Tried using TWRP manager, but that did not seem to really do what I wanted. It kept bombing. Not sure why
    So… I loaded Flashify, as described in this video. Flashify had an option to download TWRP and so I did download it through Flashify and then flashed it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GhybCyd4Pg

Booted into recovery and used TWRP to backup the phone. Successful

Then used TWRP to flash the new ROM of Android revolution (http://android-revolution-hd.blogspot.com/p/android-revolution-hd-mirror-site-var.html) I tried Android Revolution HD 22.1. It loaded ok (although I was spooked when my phone was just a black screen for about 15 minutes). But WIFI was a bust. And I kept getting a "google play services have stopped" error message. I confirmed that I had the right firmware that folks were talking about in a bunch of posts. I then also flashed the elemental ROM kernel to try to fix the wifi issue, but no luck
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2705613

Finally, flashed the ROM, from TWRP recovery, for Viper One, and all seems to work well !!!!!! I get wifi, mms, 4G, phone calls, etc. All with no error messages. Woo Hooo!!!!
    http://venomroms.com/devices-downloads/

I probably spent about a full day of reading and figuring out what some of the terms meant. I practiced a bit on on old Galaxy S2 that I have as well. Problem is, each phone is slightly different. Anyway, hoping that posting some of my details helps someone else. Like I said, I'm no expert, just a noob trying to figure things out.
    I think wifi not working is a kernel issue

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

It is actually the modules not being loaded to the kernel properly usually due to a signature mismatch (wi-fi modules belong to different kernel etc)

Should be easily resolved thanks for posting op

Dropping vzw next month sick of their bill

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    It is actually the modules not being loaded to the kernel properly usually due to a signature mismatch (wi-fi modules belong to different kernel etc)

Should be easily resolved thanks for posting op

Dropping vzw next month sick of their bill

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

beat me to it @Zarboz , find out what the wifi module it is and insmod it .

Code:
    a8293.ko           lgdt330x.ko              stb6000.ko
    adsprpc.ko         lgs8gl5.ko               stb6100.ko
    af9013.ko          lgs8gxx.ko               stv0288.ko
    atbm8830.ko        lnbp21.ko                stv0297.ko
    au8522.ko          lnbp22.ko                stv0299.ko
    bcm3510.ko         m88rs2000.ko             stv0367.ko
    cx22700.ko         max2165.ko               stv0900.ko
    cx22702.ko         mb86a16.ko               stv090x.ko
    cx24110.ko         mb86a20s.ko              stv6110.ko
    cx24113.ko         mc44s803.ko              stv6110x.ko
    cx24116.ko         mcdrvmodule.ko           tda10021.ko
    cx24123.ko         mckernelapi.ko           tda10023.ko
    cxd2820r.ko        mpq-adapter.ko           tda10048.ko
    dib0070.ko         mpq-dmx-hw-plugin.ko     tda1004x.ko
    dib0090.ko         mt2060.ko                tda10071.ko
    dib3000mb.ko       mt2063.ko                tda10086.ko
    dib3000mc.ko       mt20xx.ko                tda18212.ko
    dib7000m.ko        mt2131.ko                tda18218.ko
    dib7000p.ko        mt2266.ko                tda18271c2dd.ko
    dib8000.ko         mt312.ko                 tda18271.ko
    dib9000.ko         mt352.ko                 tda665x.ko
    dibx000_common.ko  mxl5005s.ko              tda8083.ko
    dm-crypt.ko        mxl5007t.ko              tda8261.ko
    drxd.ko            nxt200x.ko               tda826x.ko
    drxk.ko            nxt6000.ko               tda827x.ko
    ds3000.ko          or51132.ko               tda8290.ko
    dvb-core.ko        or51211.ko               tda9887.ko
    dvb-pll.ko         qcrypto.ko               tea5761.ko
    ec100.ko           qt1010.ko                tea5767.ko
    eeprom_93cx6.ko    radio-iris-transport.ko  tspp.ko
    evbug.ko           rtl2830.ko               tua6100.ko
    gspca_main.ko      s5h1409.ko               tuner-simple.ko
    hd29l2.ko          s5h1411.ko               tuner-types.ko
    isl6405.ko         s5h1420.ko               tuner-xc2028.ko
    isl6421.ko         s5h1432.ko               ves1820.ko
    isl6423.ko         s921.ko                  ves1x93.ko
    it913x-fe.ko       scsi_wait_scan.ko        xc4000.ko
    itd1000.ko         si21xx.ko                xc5000.ko
    ix2505v.ko         sp8870.ko                zl10036.ko
    ks8851.ko          sp887x.ko                zl10039.ko
    l64781.ko          spidev.ko                zl10353.ko
    lgdt3305.ko        stb0899.ko
    So the only caveat with using it on T-Mobile is that our Verizon version doesn't support hspa+?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm in a refarmed area so I do get h+. I have everything 100% working

According to HTC’s website, Verizon’s M8 only supports HSPA+ up to 14.4 Mbps:

3G - WCDMA:
    EMEA: 850/900/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps
    Asia: 850/900/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps
    AT&T: 850/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 21 Mbps
    Sprint: 850/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA up to 14.4 Mbps
    Verizon: 850/900/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 14.4 Mbps
    TMUS: 850/AWS/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps

Source: M8 spec page

Still totally usable, but if you’re getting knocked down to HSPA+ a lot, you might start missing 42 Mbps.