FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

New Hangouts 2.0.012

93 posts
Thanks Meter: 14

By sheltrack, Member on 1st November 2013, 03:16 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Finally Hangouts with SMS! Been waiting for this ever since "Babel" and its here!

For the download link, head on over to androidspin.com OR click the download link below!

https://www.copy.com/s/vRBrzPCxDE9i/Hangouts.apk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sheltrack For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sheltrack Ad-Free
1st November 2013, 05:27 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltrack

Finally Hangouts with SMS! Been waiting for this ever since "Babel" and its here!

For the download link, head on over to androidspin.com OR click the download link below!

Awesome, working perfectly! Been waiting a long time for this
1st November 2013, 09:31 AM |#3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Springfield, Massachusetts
Thanks Meter: 2,535

Donate to Me
More
Thanks, working well!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
1st November 2013, 10:59 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
I'm sorry to post a full newbie post here regarding this but I'm trying to settle some debate and confusion online about Hangouts 2.0

Basically has google "done it right" this time and copied iMessage? (No, I'm not an Apple fanboy)
The advantage of iMessage is that it defaults to data when possible, fallsback to SMS when it has to.
It's also completely seamless, this is handled for you - no need to manually change from data to SMS mode or anything.
2 more points:
iMessage allows you to SMS a "new" phone number for someone you've never encountered before, iMessage detects the phone number is "iMessage-able" and simply sends via data, no kind of handshake / friendship needs to be setup
and finally
There's no "online" status required of iMessage, you need not "log in" or always be set to online, it's an SMS app natively but you can communicate with people over data without them knowing you're necessarily "online"

The advantages as follows.
Cheapest possible was of conversing with friends (assuming your SMS plan is NOT unlimited, I'm in a country where it's pricey)
Privacy / "aloofness" - the lack of an online / offline requirement allows you to ignore a message and respond at your leisure, be it 5 minutes, 5 hours or 5 days. If someone however sees a green O next to your name with Hangouts, the social pressure / obligation to reply is there, you can't just relax if that makes sense (I guess this is an introvert feature)

Sorry for the long post but I'm hearing conflicting reports online that google STILL screwed it up - but that's from people who have obtained the Hangouts 2.0 APK file and do NOT have 4.4 KitKat, rumour has it that's required for the full backend SMS "engine" update to work like iMessage?
Thanks all, really appreciate your time.

EDIT: This also covers what I'm trying to clarify.
http://ausdroid.net/2013/11/01/downl...ms-integration
1st November 2013, 04:12 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 614

More
The best person to answer those questions would be yourself...since it seems you have experience with iMessage whearas we just got the app.
1st November 2013, 08:58 PM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzbang3

I'm sorry to post a full newbie post here regarding this but I'm trying to settle some debate and confusion online about Hangouts 2.0

Basically has google "done it right" this time and copied iMessage? (No, I'm not an Apple fanboy)
The advantage of iMessage is that it defaults to data when possible, fallsback to SMS when it has to.
It's also completely seamless, this is handled for you - no need to manually change from data to SMS mode or anything.
2 more points:
iMessage allows you to SMS a "new" phone number for someone you've never encountered before, iMessage detects the phone number is "iMessage-able" and simply sends via data, no kind of handshake / friendship needs to be setup
and finally
There's no "online" status required of iMessage, you need not "log in" or always be set to online, it's an SMS app natively but you can communicate with people over data without them knowing you're necessarily "online"

The advantages as follows.
Cheapest possible was of conversing with friends (assuming your SMS plan is NOT unlimited, I'm in a country where it's pricey)
Privacy / "aloofness" - the lack of an online / offline requirement allows you to ignore a message and respond at your leisure, be it 5 minutes, 5 hours or 5 days. If someone however sees a green O next to your name with Hangouts, the social pressure / obligation to reply is there, you can't just relax if that makes sense (I guess this is an introvert feature)

Sorry for the long post but I'm hearing conflicting reports online that google STILL screwed it up - but that's from people who have obtained the Hangouts 2.0 APK file and do NOT have 4.4 KitKat, rumour has it that's required for the full backend SMS "engine" update to work like iMessage?
Thanks all, really appreciate your time.

EDIT: This also covers what I'm trying to clarify.
http://ausdroid.net/2013/11/01/downl...ms-integration

Well first off, hangouts is still technically part google talk which was an online messaging service, so the online status will still be incorporated in the app unless they take the code out and re-do the app.
And iMessage probably had its advantages in the past when messaging plans weren't unlimited but doesn't have any advantages really unless you want to know who has an iPhone and who doesn't. And since I don't have kitkat I wouldn't know if it enhances hangouts or not!

Don't think google screwed up. They did exactly what they wanted to do.
2nd November 2013, 09:16 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 88

Donate to Me
More
Got 2.0.018 apk?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
6th November 2013, 04:03 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thanks bud! Works great over here
6th November 2013, 11:35 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
I installed the Hangouts 2.0 apk the other day on my Verizon S3 running 4.1.2 and it's working perfect except I am missing one person's contact picture. He has a picture in my contacts app. Anyone else run into this?
9th November 2013, 03:12 AM |#10  
Flag Buffalo, NY
Thanks Meter: 31

Donate to Me
More
Is anyone group chatting with iPhone users? The main screen shows all participants, but in the chat thread all messages are showing one avatar / name.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using XDA Premium HD app
11th November 2013, 02:00 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Thanks dudes!!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apk, hangouts, sms

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)