[Q] Bricked a500- stuck on boot menu.

Search This thread

boxyJ

Mar 29, 2013
Yes I am a noob, but a noob in need of help.
I recently decided to root my Acer Iconia a500 16gb WIFI version, running on stock ICS. I realised i had to unlock my bootloader to install CWM etc. So I followed a tutorial, and used blackthund3rs A500 APX Flash Utility v0.4. I used the flash package "Skrilax_CZ's bootloader V8".

So I thought all was going well, however when rebooting it, it just sits on "Skrilax_CZ's bootloader V8: Booting primary kernel image". I'm assuming its bricked, as it doesn't go beyond this point. I can get a few other options by doing the "PWR+VOL" combination and it opens boot-menu mode with the options:
-Reboot
-Fastboot Mode
-Boot Primary Kernel Image
-Boot Secondary Kernel Image
-Boot Recovery
-Set Boot secondary Kernel Image
-Set debug mode off/on
-Wipe Cache
The only option that does the slytest thing is putting it in fastboot mode. When putting it in this mode, it registers in "A500MANAGER" (when connected to my pc via USB) as the device being in fastboot mode. But I dont know what to do from there.
I've looked at multiple threads and cant find anything to fix this problem.
Please Help! Thanks!

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
I recently decided to root my Acer Iconia a500 16gb WIFI version, running on stock ICS. I realised i had to unlock my bootloader to install CWM etc. So I followed a tutorial, and used blackthund3rs A500 APX Flash Utility v0.4. I used the flash package "Skrilax_CZ's bootloader V8".

So I thought all was going well, however when rebooting it, it just sits on "Skrilax_CZ's bootloader V8: Booting primary kernel image". I'm assuming its bricked, as it doesn't go beyond this point. I can get a few other options by doing the "PWR+VOL" combination and it opens boot-menu mode with the options:
-Reboot
-Fastboot Mode
-Boot Recovery
-Set debug mode off/on
-Wipe Cache
The only option that does the slytest thing is putting it in fastboot mode. When putting it in this mode, it registers in "A500MANAGER" (when connected to my pc via USB) as the device being in fastboot mode. But I dont know what to do from there.
Please Help! Thanks!

Sounds like the A500 manager didn't do something right. Happens sometimes.

Here is what I would do. I assume you don't have the Android SDK installed. No need to, as some of the bootloader/CWM packages have the necessary files needed.

1. Boot to the bootloader, select the option "Fastboot Mode"
2. Make sure you have downloaded to PC a CWM package for ICS/JB. Usually the manual packages have the necessary files, such as the CWM image, fastboot.exe, adb, and some dll files. Unzip them to your PC. (Also helps to download a custom ICS or CM10 rom to your sd card first)
3. Open a command window in the same folder you have the files.
4. type "fastboot flash recovery xxxxxxxx.img" (xxxxxxxx is name of cwm recovery img file, do not put the " in) then hit enter.
5. After completion, immediately boot tablet into recovery. I believe holding Vol- and PWR does this. Or, Vol+ and PWR boots to the bootloader menu. Either way.

In recovery, do your wipes and or formats as per ROM installation instructions.

Install ROM

Enjoy. If you have problems locating one of those packages, give a shout back.

MD

Reactions: boxyJ

boxyJ

Mar 29, 2013
Thanks for the fast reply,
I am a noob, so could you perhaps link me a CWM package for ics to download?
Thanks

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Files

Ok, so here are your files.

Unzip the contents of the zip file to a folder on your PC

Boot your tab to the bootloader menu, select Fastboot.
Connect tab to PC, then wait 30 seconds or so (windows has to recognize it)
Then, go to that folder. Hold "Shift" + "Right Mouse Click".
Select "Open Command Window"
Type in the following;

fastboot flash recovery recovery_thor17_403.img

and hit enter. Should transfer good.

When finished, boot tablet to recovery like I mentioned earlier. DO NOT boot to the system. Or you'll be doing this all over again.

Install ICS or CM10 rom following the instructions on the ROM post. I suggest starting out with Civato's ICS Flex****** rom first, or one of the stock rooted ones.

Should be good...... I hope.

MD

Attachments

• 500-recovery-image.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 703
Reactions: boxyJ

boxyJ

Mar 29, 2013
Thanks again.
I did the fastboot recovery thing. But when I go to reboot, I have to turn it on and select "Boot Recovery", when I do its stuck on the screen "Skrilax_CZ's bootloader v8: Booting recovery kernel image"

Is this whats supposed to happen or am I supposed to see a different screen?

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks again.
I did the fastboot recovery thing. But when I go to reboot, I have to turn it on and select "Boot Recovery", when I do its stuck on the screen "Skrilax_CZ's bootloader v8: Booting recovery kernel image"

Is this whats supposed to happen or am I supposed to see a different screen?

Shut down the tab. Reboot holding V- and PWR release when you see the text. Should reboot to recovery.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Well crap.

Sounds like some partitions are messed.

Try this NVFlash package;
http://d-h.st/32X

It's a version 3 bootloader using NVFlash. Might work.
Put your tab in APX mode (I believe you press and hold the pinhole reset, then PWR. After 3 seconds, release PWR, 2 seconds later release pinhole. Might have to reverse it, don't remember)

Plug tab in. PC should recognize.

Unzip to a folder, open a command window, and run the batch file (type it into the command window, xxxxxxxx.bat then hit enter)

If there's an error, it should show in the command window.

Here is a link to Timmy Deans roll back package;
http://d-h.st/0x7

The issue here, is you need a UID number, which I HOPE you wrote down when you did the V8 bootloader!

MD

boxyJ

Mar 29, 2013
Well I cant manually put it into APX mode, tried a few times. Also there is no bat file in that download... as for Timmy Deans roll back package, is it a simple method taht should work? At this point I just want to get my tab working again :p. And yes I do have my UID number.

boxyJ

Mar 29, 2013
Ok,ok.
So this morning I tried to fix it again. And I think i managed to put it in APX mode. Also, I started up APX flash tool and all, did that. Suddenly a cmd window opened and started doing stuff. And now the tablet says in the top right corner "Acer Iconia APX mode", and a yellow glowing 'acer' title in the middle (which is different from what I've been seeing). Another cmd window opened by itself saying "Nvflash started [resume mode]. Where do i go from here??
Thanks!

boxyJ

Mar 29, 2013
So I think I've gotten a better understanding of how this all works today. I've tried multiple ways of flashing recovery imgs ect, flashing the bootloader and all that stuff. And all the times I've done this, it always stops at "Nvflash started [resume mode]" and doesn't go any further.
So I'm not really sure what else there is to do.

Please, I need guidance. (below is my last attempt, and what It said in the cmd window).

Flashing bootloader: bootloader_v8.bin ...

Nvflash started
[resume mode]
Formatting partition 4 please wait.. Command Execution failed cmd 13, error 0x12
FAILED!
command failure: format partition failed (bad command)
bootloader status: unknown operation (code: 1) message: flags: 0

Nvflash started
[resume mode]

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Please let us know if/how you fixed this problem! Some of us are in the same boat.

U guys need to run the babsector.rar file to reset yr tabs partitions and you must have yr cpuid/sbk.

The file and instructions to use it are in post 2 of the root guide in my sig.

If u get any errors you must post the output. You may have a faulty memory chip. If that's the case, a new motherboard is the only fix.

dibb

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

EDIT: Link to post2 (babsector.rar file)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35500589

Last edited:

timmytutone

Dec 1, 2010
U guys need to run the babsector.rar file to reset yr tabs partitions and you must have yr cpuid/sbk.

If u get any errors you must post the output. You may have a faulty memory chip. If that's the case, a new motherboard is the only fix.

dibb

Thank you so much for the reply. I gave up this afternoon and just flashed the ota 4.0.3 version from Acer and it seems to be running really good. The only reason I was looking to flash something new is because the update from honeycomb to ics didn't take very well and I've always been dealing with problems from it. If the flashed version is still running well I might not try a different Rom again. I'll be putting your tip in my notes in case I do. Thanks again.

timmytutone

Dec 1, 2010

dibb

So I rooted and then flashed a Custom Recovery Image. Then I followed the instructions under the babsector portion of your post. I got to this part: Go back into apx mode and run 501 B.bat, Reboot into recovery and do the wipes, Reboot!!!

I wasn't sure what "do the wipes" referred to so I did ALL the wipes. Cache/Dalvik/Battery/ and Data(?) When I rebooted it went back to the green screen and says in yellow: "Invalid primary (LNX) image." and has the same menu as when I rebooted after 501 A.bat

Now what?

EDIT:
So I was sitting there with the green screen/yellow error and decided to boot into recovery again. I then reflashed my custom rom, and did a normal reboot. Everything is working now! My FIRST custom rom after owning android devices since the ancient Motorola i1 way back in the day. I'd still like to know if what I did was right or what happened, so I can detail it in my instructions for my next custom rom project.

Last edited:
Reactions: HutchGuy

HutchGuy

Nov 6, 2014
So I rooted and then flashed a Custom Recovery Image. Then I followed the instructions under the babsector portion of your post. I got to this part: Go back into apx mode and run 501 B.bat, Reboot into recovery and do the wipes, Reboot!!!

I wasn't sure what "do the wipes" referred to so I did ALL the wipes. Cache/Dalvik/Battery/ and Data(?) When I rebooted it went back to the green screen and says in yellow: "Invalid primary (LNX) image." and has the same menu as when I rebooted after 501 A.bat

Now what?

EDIT:
So I was sitting there with the green screen/yellow error and decided to boot into recovery again. I then reflashed my custom rom, and did a normal reboot. Everything is working now! My FIRST custom rom after owning android devices since the ancient Motorola i1 way back in the day. I'd still like to know if what I did was right or what happened, so I can detail it in my instructions for my next custom rom project.

Dude I know it's been 4 years since you wrote that but I just wanted to say you really saved my life, THANK YOU!!!
About 2 months ago I tried to unlock my tablet's bootloader but I gave up after reading different articles and obviously ended up with a really bad headache. Last night I realized Android 3 is really old and I almost can't install anything on it. So basically I gave it another shot and been reading and downloading different files for almost 3 hours. Today I managed to unlock bootloader and use your short instruction (more likely a walk-thru that how you fixed your problem) and it worked!!! I owe you man... I owe you
I even took it to so many different mobile centers about 3 weeks ago but they said its files are not anywhere/we can't do it/it's too risky/it's not possible deal with it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-Reboot
    -Fastboot Mode
    -Boot Recovery
    -Set debug mode off/on
    -Wipe Cache
    Please Help! Thanks!

Sounds like the A500 manager didn't do something right. Happens sometimes.

Here is what I would do. I assume you don't have the Android SDK installed. No need to, as some of the bootloader/CWM packages have the necessary files needed.

1. Boot to the bootloader, select the option "Fastboot Mode"
    2. Make sure you have downloaded to PC a CWM package for ICS/JB. Usually the manual packages have the necessary files, such as the CWM image, fastboot.exe, adb, and some dll files. Unzip them to your PC. (Also helps to download a custom ICS or CM10 rom to your sd card first)
    3. Open a command window in the same folder you have the files.
    4. type "fastboot flash recovery xxxxxxxx.img" (xxxxxxxx is name of cwm recovery img file, do not put the " in) then hit enter.
    5. After completion, immediately boot tablet into recovery. I believe holding Vol- and PWR does this. Or, Vol+ and PWR boots to the bootloader menu. Either way.

In recovery, do your wipes and or formats as per ROM installation instructions.

Install ROM

Enjoy. If you have problems locating one of those packages, give a shout back.

MD
    Thanks for the fast reply,
    I am a noob, so could you perhaps link me a CWM package for ics to download?
    Thanks

No problem. I'll post a link in awhile.

MD
    Files

Ok, so here are your files.

Unzip the contents of the zip file to a folder on your PC

Boot your tab to the bootloader menu, select Fastboot.
    Connect tab to PC, then wait 30 seconds or so (windows has to recognize it)
    Then, go to that folder. Hold "Shift" + "Right Mouse Click".
    Select "Open Command Window"
    Type in the following;

fastboot flash recovery recovery_thor17_403.img

and hit enter. Should transfer good.

When finished, boot tablet to recovery like I mentioned earlier. DO NOT boot to the system. Or you'll be doing this all over again.

Install ICS or CM10 rom following the instructions on the ROM post. I suggest starting out with Civato's ICS Flex****** rom first, or one of the stock rooted ones.

Should be good...... I hope.

MD

dibb

Now what?

EDIT: