[ROM] Megatron v1 (experimental, performance-oriented, beta kernel)

Search This thread

knzo

Nov 24, 2010
Announcement: I highly suggest you flash void. - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=887281

Well, here's one more ROM for you guys: Megatron.
Why the name? Seemed only logical considering the name of our device, Optimus One.

It's basically a ROM tweaked for performance while retaining a decent battery usage. Also, with this ROM, you won't need to flash any other tweaks.
I daresay it's so far the speediest ROM for LG P500.

Features:

v2:

• to be updated

v1:

• root + superuser + busybox
  • APKs deodexed + zipaligned + png-optimized
  • apps2sd + dalvik2sd [1]

• performance tweaks: (JIT, hardware acceleration, etc) [2]

• includes drellisdee's custom kernel [3]
  • kernel repacked to set onboot the scheduler to interactive (tweak)

• applications removed: App Advisor, Layar, Twitter, Facebook, LG Home, Think Office, Update notifications and Twitter [4]
  • applications changed: Genie widget (now transparent), Music (imported from CM)
  • applications added: Titanium backup, File Manager (imported from CM) and the awesome LauncherPro [5]

• ringtones, notification and alarm sounds added (including iPhone ones)
  • changed boot animation to a more cute one

• auto-overclock to 728Mhz and possibility to easily revert (minitron tweak) [6]

[1] Rather than move_cache_sd program used in another ROMs, I use another method for moving dalvik-cache to SDcard since sometimes using the aforementioned program won't work successfully. It's a known issue of Dsixda's kitchen.

[2] Heapsize: 32MB; without a doubt the best value.

[3] Check the original thread here and if you can, buy him some beer.

[4] I left CarHome due to popular demand.

[5] Titanium backup will allow you to uninstall any system application and to backup the ones you install. LauncherPro is in my opinion, way better (performance-wise) than ADW.

[6] As far as I've read, 728Mhz is stable for everyone til now.

Requirements:

In order to flash this ROM, you'll need on your device:
  1. Having read the feature list and notes above
  2. Root (check thread)
  3. Drellisdee's custom recovery (check thread)
  4. Class 4 SDcard or higher (bench it with h2testw)
  5. Megatron (download it here)

How to flash:

First, reboot into recovery via 3-button-combo, ADB, terminal, w/e.
  1. Partition SDcard (swap: 0, ext: 512), ext2-ext3, then ext3-ext4 it.
  2. Wipe data (data,cache,dalvik-cache,ext).
  3. Connect the device to PC, copy Megatron over to the SDcard, disconnect.
  4. Flash it via "flash zip from sdcard"
  5. Reboot
  6. Read important notes below

That's it.

Important notes:

* There were some reports on other ROMs that battery usage was very high, especially on standby. While this ROM should perform better, it won't still have as good battery usage as stock ROM mainly due to the scaling governor being set to interactive. Also because of this reason, benchmarks could be slightly lower. I however promise that the overall experience and snappiness will be quite satisfying.

* I've made an easy and friendly way to decrease the clock back to stock 600Mhz. Instead of needing to use SetCPU, you just need to create a folder in your SDcard called "minitron" (without the ""), then reboot your phone. Your clock will be now back to 600Mhz. If you wish to revert it to the default 728Mhz, just delete the folder and reboot your phone again. Since the voltage is the same for both clocks, battery consumption should be around the same too. If for some odd reason, you get a boot loop, it means your phone doesn't support (*gasp*) a 728Mhz clock. To avoid a boot loop, go back to the custom recovery, toggle sdcard-pc connection and create the "minitron" (without the "") folder. Reboot, should be fine.

* Remember, you won't need to flash anything else. Everything's here.

As you already know, I cannot be held responsible for any damage you may cause to your phone by following these instructions. Every step taken is of your entire responsability.

Testimonials:

* "I noticed that the phone was another! much better performance! I did all the tests and there are no problems!"

* "This Rom is just... Amazing!!!"

* "Feedback: working nicely untill now. So far so good - the best ROM yet"

* "Great work , phone is workin faster and booting 2times better now great work."

* "So far I can say it is arguably fast. Phone is super snappy and responsive."

Time to see for yourself.
Just remember, it's still an experimental ROM.

Attachments

• quadrant.png
    quadrant.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 10,180
Last edited:

eigokyoukan

Feb 2, 2010
Cincinnati
Thanks for the work, though I think I'll be passing for right now.

Auto OCd kernel with way to revert is a bad idea at this point in that kernel. I would do it the other way around. Let it be a "MegatronMax" (or something like that) folder to ENABLE the OC, but leave it at 600MHz till more testing has been done. Just because the volt is the same doesn't mean its going to perform as well long run. Not even sure Interactive will be better than say conservative because of the excessive ramping up and down in freq. I have seen in interactive. I guess bottom line is, you shouldn't include a beta kernel yet in your ROM and default it OCd. At this point in development I think you should let the users decide if they want to test out these kernel features themselves because it is easy enough for flash the kernel back and forth.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=866774

Plus the author of the kernel requested that you DO NOT include it in ROMs, but rather point users to that thread.

Other than the kernel issues, seems like it will work well for those who want those features.

Just my 2 cents, seems like a decent enough ROM, like to see how it works for people.

knzo

Nov 24, 2010
Auto OCd kernel with way to revert is a bad idea at this point in that kernel. I would do it the other way around. Let it be a "MegatronMax" (or something like that) folder to ENABLE the OC, but leave it at 600MHz till more testing has been done. Just because the volt is the same doesn't mean its going to perform as well long run. Not even sure Interactive will be better than say conservative because of the excessive ramping up and down in freq. I have seen in interactive. I guess bottom line is, you shouldn't include a beta kernel yet in your ROM and default it OCd. At this point in development I think you should let the users decide if they want to test out these kernel features themselves because it is easy enough for flash the kernel back and forth.

Been using it for days and no complaint.
Like I said, it's a performance-oriented ROM. Default OC makes sense to me.

If people are scared of long-term effects, they should Minitron-it then.

Anyway, I'll update the thread's title.

And interactive is way better than anything to be honest. It will even be the next default scheduler in CyanogenMOD.

Plus the author of the kernel requested that you DO NOT include it in ROMs, but rather point users to that thread.

Didn't read that and it's the first request of the kind I've seen.

For user's comfort, custom kernels often tag along with custom ROMs. Protocol has always been to credit the author, point to original thread and urge for a donation. At least to what I'm used to. However, if he insists on this and contacts me directly stating he really doesn't want his kernel included on a ROM, I will abide and remove the whole ROM since it loses its raison d'être.

Last edited:
Reactions: tonito_tattoo

eigokyoukan

Feb 2, 2010
Cincinnati
Definitely not trying to flame or troll man :)

That was just my opinion on the matter. I am sure there are many people who will install and enjoy your work.

It is not uncommon to not want your work bundled, but at least you gave credit. I see too often credit not even given for others discoveries and hard work.

I still say default OC is a bad idea until we understand the full long term effects of having this hardware 700+MHz, but then again, this will start getting it tested.

tcmixx

Nov 20, 2010
Have installed the ROM. Works Great, No problems so far. Like the LP. But I would like to have an option to install themes and so one. That would be fantastic.

Thanks!:D

EDIT: Solved

Last edited:

drellisdee

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 22, 2008
East Coast
There is a reason I set max freq on boot to 600mhz in kernel as its to prevent users from getting stuck in a boot loop at a speed thats too great for their device. If you kernel panic it will reboot back to stock max as as had it set up. I did also have in my post not to repack kernel in rom and posted source so rom makers could build their own variant to use. I'm not going to ask for you to pull rom however as I see no reason for that. I just made it so it would reach as broad an audience as possible even those that don't want to overclock as its optional as I had it setup. Also, by using koush's any kernel its compatible with virtually any rom.

Noejn, I've learned the hard way just because your phone runs ok at xxx freq doesn't mean others will.

fr4nkr0c

Mar 31, 2007
hello Noejn be honest, I have updated this roms just because I had the famous problem "reboot (reset) the phone" as soon as I put everything, I noticed that the phone was another! much better performance! I did all the tests and there are no problems!

the only thing, there is more and reset!
is a week that I bought, and I can not figure out how to solve this problem :( you know anything Noejn

However good the ROM recommend it!

Reactions: knzo

knzo

Nov 24, 2010
Definitely not trying to flame or troll man :)

That was just my opinion on the matter. I am sure there are many people who will install and enjoy your work..

Yea, no worries. Sorry if I seemed harsh in my reply, not my intention.

I do have a different opinion though, slightly more optimist.

Since the voltage is the same for both clocks and the cpu only peaks if called, I don't think there will be much overheating. Also, I've never heard of any MSM7227 that toasted itself or his hardware neighbours.

That being said, you may think it's a leap of faith but I find it perfectly safe to use a 728Mhz clock as default. I may be wrong but let's hope not.

Noejn, I've learned the hard way just because your phone runs ok at xxx freq doesn't mean others will.

I understand that.

So far, the least stable clock that someone had on your awesome kernel was 748. Even so, as a safety measure, I've set it @ ~728. If for some reason there's someone out there that gets a boot loop, he just have to go to the custom recovery, toggle the sdcard-pc and create "minitron" folder. Done, 600Mhz!

Also, thanks for officially letting me use your kernel on this ROM.

hello Noejn be honest, I have updated this roms just because I had the famous problem "reboot (reset) the phone" as soon as I put everything, I noticed that the phone was another! much better performance! I did all the tests and there are no problems!

the only thing, there is more and reset!
is a week that I bought, and I can not figure out how to solve this problem :( you know anything Noejn

However good the ROM recommend it!

I'm glad you found it speedy!

Regarding your reboot problem that happened before, even on other ROMs, sounds to me it is a phone matter. Shouldn't you allege malfunctioning to your carrier and get the phone switched?

Last edited:

knzo

Nov 24, 2010
* Quadrant (w/ default options) attached to main post
* Forgot to add to features a different boot animation

Attachments

• quadrant.png
    quadrant.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,822

l30r0

Oct 9, 2010
I know there are some differences, but would this work on an Optimus T (P509)? I've been looking around for a rom and can't seem to find anything as promising as this. Any help is always appreciated.

l30r0

Oct 9, 2010
Optimus T = O1 for T-mobile

Yes, I know, but that wasn't my question. I understand that the processor in the O1 is MSM7627 and the Optimus T has a MSM7227. Since the kernel was made for the O1 would I need to find a different compatible kernel for this rom on the Optimus T or would this OC'd kernel work? I'm willing to test it, but I just wanted an opinion before I started.

bioan

Jun 1, 2009
Can you add an option on this ROM ? I would really like the softkeys to be always on.

Congratulations for your work !

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA App

Reactions: knzo

xilw3r

Dec 10, 2010
I know there are some differences, but would this work on an Optimus T (P509)? I've been looking around for a rom and can't seem to find anything as promising as this. Any help is always appreciated.

i think there is a ThundeROM version (originaly for optimus S) being adjusted for optimus T (not optimus one tho :( )

try checking androidcentral if i remember right

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Announcement: I highly suggest you flash void. - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=887281

Well, here's one more ROM for you guys: Megatron.
    Why the name? Seemed only logical considering the name of our device, Optimus One.

It's basically a ROM tweaked for performance while retaining a decent battery usage. Also, with this ROM, you won't need to flash any other tweaks.
    I daresay it's so far the speediest ROM for LG P500.

Features:

v2:

• to be updated

v1:

• root + superuser + busybox
    • APKs deodexed + zipaligned + png-optimized
    • apps2sd + dalvik2sd [1]

• performance tweaks: (JIT, hardware acceleration, etc) [2]

• includes drellisdee's custom kernel [3]
    • kernel repacked to set onboot the scheduler to interactive (tweak)

• applications removed: App Advisor, Layar, Twitter, Facebook, LG Home, Think Office, Update notifications and Twitter [4]
    • applications changed: Genie widget (now transparent), Music (imported from CM)
    • applications added: Titanium backup, File Manager (imported from CM) and the awesome LauncherPro [5]

• ringtones, notification and alarm sounds added (including iPhone ones)
    • changed boot animation to a more cute one

• auto-overclock to 728Mhz and possibility to easily revert (minitron tweak) [6]

[1] Rather than move_cache_sd program used in another ROMs, I use another method for moving dalvik-cache to SDcard since sometimes using the aforementioned program won't work successfully. It's a known issue of Dsixda's kitchen.

[2] Heapsize: 32MB; without a doubt the best value.

[3] Check the original thread here and if you can, buy him some beer.

[4] I left CarHome due to popular demand.

[5] Titanium backup will allow you to uninstall any system application and to backup the ones you install. LauncherPro is in my opinion, way better (performance-wise) than ADW.

[6] As far as I've read, 728Mhz is stable for everyone til now.

Requirements:

In order to flash this ROM, you'll need on your device:
    1. Having read the feature list and notes above
    2. Root (check thread)
    3. Drellisdee's custom recovery (check thread)
    4. Class 4 SDcard or higher (bench it with h2testw)
    5. Megatron (download it here)

How to flash:

First, reboot into recovery via 3-button-combo, ADB, terminal, w/e.
    1. Partition SDcard (swap: 0, ext: 512), ext2-ext3, then ext3-ext4 it.
    2. Wipe data (data,cache,dalvik-cache,ext).
    3. Connect the device to PC, copy Megatron over to the SDcard, disconnect.
    4. Flash it via "flash zip from sdcard"
    5. Reboot
    6. Read important notes below

That's it.

Important notes:

* There were some reports on other ROMs that battery usage was very high, especially on standby. While this ROM should perform better, it won't still have as good battery usage as stock ROM mainly due to the scaling governor being set to interactive. Also because of this reason, benchmarks could be slightly lower. I however promise that the overall experience and snappiness will be quite satisfying.

* I've made an easy and friendly way to decrease the clock back to stock 600Mhz. Instead of needing to use SetCPU, you just need to create a folder in your SDcard called "minitron" (without the ""), then reboot your phone. Your clock will be now back to 600Mhz. If you wish to revert it to the default 728Mhz, just delete the folder and reboot your phone again. Since the voltage is the same for both clocks, battery consumption should be around the same too. If for some odd reason, you get a boot loop, it means your phone doesn't support (*gasp*) a 728Mhz clock. To avoid a boot loop, go back to the custom recovery, toggle sdcard-pc connection and create the "minitron" (without the "") folder. Reboot, should be fine.

* Remember, you won't need to flash anything else. Everything's here.

As you already know, I cannot be held responsible for any damage you may cause to your phone by following these instructions. Every step taken is of your entire responsability.

Testimonials:

* "I noticed that the phone was another! much better performance! I did all the tests and there are no problems!"

* "This Rom is just... Amazing!!!"

* "Feedback: working nicely untill now. So far so good - the best ROM yet"

* "Great work , phone is workin faster and booting 2times better now great work."

* "So far I can say it is arguably fast. Phone is super snappy and responsive."

Time to see for yourself.
    Just remember, it's still an experimental ROM.
    Ported GreenDevDroid Ultimate theme

Hi. I ported GreenDevDroid Ultimate theme from forum.samdroid.net/f57/greendevdroid-ultimate-cyanogenmod-2563/.
    Credits to Kyojin, the maker of this theme, I only ported it.
    To apply, copy the zip file to sdcard, boot to recovery, choose 'Other', then 'Toggle Signature Verify', and flash the zip file.

UPDATE
    Changed background of date to black (when status bar is pulled down) so that the date is clear to see (see last screenshot below)

DafuQ?!
    What do u expect?? :eek:

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda premium
    BX-Destiny Chromatic theme

Original thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=723278
    Credits to LordSeth, creator of this theme.
    Besides porting this theme, a boot animation matching with theme is created.
    Icons on Settings menu are also changed.
    To apply, copy attached zip file below to sdcard, boot to recovery, choose 'Other', then 'Toggle Signature Verify', and flash the zip file.
    Don't forget to nand backup your phone first.

Update:
    - Fixed black texts on dark menus... well, mostly (I either changed color of the text or the background image)
    - Changed color of notification bar, icons in lge-res.apk (see pic. 4)
    - Changed color of title bar (pic. 5 & 6)
    - Added themed Market ver. 2.2.11 (pic. 8), idea was based on http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=918005
    screenieso.jpg

animdk.gif
    Megatron v2 might be coming.