[Q] Country Code in KK ROMs

Search This thread

jcmcg1

May 16, 2013
Durham, NC
I've just updated my GP5 to the BEANSTALK KK ROM. As with the other KK ROMS I've tried, the MAC address is set (and can be changed) in the nvram_net.txt file in the vendor folder, rather than by the EFS folder. The question I have is about the country code (ccode)in the same nvram_net.txt file. In the three KK ROMs I've tried, it is set to KR. Does this overide other settings on the GP5, and would changing it to US cause any problems?:confused:

henk5066

Apr 29, 2013
Northborough
I've just updated my GP5 to the BEANSTALK KK ROM. As with the other KK ROMS I've tried, the MAC address is set (and can be changed) in the nvram_net.txt file in the vendor folder, rather than by the EFS folder. The question I have is about the country code (ccode)in the same nvram_net.txt file. In the three KK ROMs I've tried, it is set to KR. Does this overide other settings on the GP5, and would changing it to US cause any problems?:confused:

it might due to the fact that the international and american versions of the device have different hardware.

M

Meticulus

I am not 100% on this info but as I understand it, the country code, as it pertains to wifi, determines the regulatory domain. Some other countries use 14 frequencies ( or bands ) for Wifi and here in the U.S. we only use 13 frequencies. Basically, setting the country code causes the wifi driver to be compliant with the radio frequency regulations of that country.

From a practical stand point, I doubt that you'd notice any difference in changing the country code at all. The wifi driver simply would omit signals running on the 14th frequency which are not used by wireless routers sold in the U.S. anyways...

The reason that it's set to KR, is most likely because, during the initial bring up from Gingerbread to ICS, someone pulled that nvram_net.txt file from a Korean device, and we've been using it ever since.

Edit: more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Last edited: